Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - 2014 Hungary

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Shizuka

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - 2014 Hungary

Post by Shizuka »

based on the assumption that, at any moment in time, there is a non-zero probability that even the slowest, most inexperienced and least reliable of underdogs might win the race. That under every rock, there might be a gold nugget. This is the award for that first podium that we all celebrate, for the overtake no-one was expecting, for JEV's first win. This is the award, in short, for the driver or team that makes you go "Woah! Where did THAT come from?!".

Just remember: this is a feel-good award, that will focus on nothing but track action.
Usual rules: everyone gets two votes. First vote is worth 10 points, the second 6.

Post your results until the 1st August

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - 2014 Hungary

Post by DonTirri »

1st: FERRARI
Seriously. Alonso 2nd, Räikkönen 6th. a FAR better result than ANYONE expected. And with all due respect to Alonso, I think Kimi might actually be the more improbable of the two.
2nd: Daniel Ricciardo
He just became the first driver to beat BOTH Mercs ON THE ROAD. I am stunned by the way he has seized his chances this season I_I
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

As terrific as Alonso's performance has been, I'll go with Daniel Ricciardo in number 1. I'm not sure too many people would have made that move on Hamilton that has won him the race.

Naturally, second place has to be Fernando Alonso for one of his best drives ever. And that's saying something.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Ricciardo
2. Alonso
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

1) Lewis Hamilton - To grab a podium at Hungary after starting from the pits and spinning on lap 1 is sensational

2) Fernando Alonso - Put in a stellar drive to steal a second in one of the most unfancied cars in the paddock, truly a wily old fox

Honourable mentions

Sebastian Vettel - How on earth did he not only keep that car out of the wall but make those tyres last?

Daniel Ricciardo - Did brilliant to take victory

Adrian Sutil - came oh so close to dragging that awful car into the points, finishing ahead of a Mclaren
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

1 Ferrari
2 Kimi Raikkonen
tkcom

Post by tkcom »

Alonso 35 laps on used soft in a dog of a car to defend against 2 best cars in the field.

Hamilton Pit start with a rebuilt car to podium.
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

1)Fernando Alonso: His heroic defense and podium will be remembered as one of the best driving efforts of the F1 modern era

2)Daniel Ricciardo: Smile beat the Mercs on race pace, with strategy, and made what could be the overtake of the year

Honorable mentions to Lewis Hamilton(another burn from the stern, 3rd and beating Nico), Hungaroring mixed conditions(epic race was epic)

The Clash of the Titans Award goes to Daniel Ricciardo: Overtaking Hamilton on the outside of the 3rd corner... just epic
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

1) Fernando Alonso - I feel a bit guilty saying Alonso because I rate him so highly, but I always thought he was gonna get gobbled up by Hamilton, and he wasn't. Almost pulled off a replica Gilles Villeneuve's final win - and while having to defend from DRS no less.
2) DANIEL RICCIARDO - Very quickly establishing himself as an equal to Alonso and Vettel.

HM to Vettel for pulling a save worthy of a 4-time champ
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

1) Alonso
2) Raikkonen
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

1. Ferrari
2. Vergne

HM to Ricciardo
I like the way Snrub thinks!
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I'm voting for the race itself. :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
sw3ishida

Post by sw3ishida »

1) Alonso
2) Vergne
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

1. Alonso - the class of the field, bar none.
2. JEV - shame he didn't finish higher, a very mature drive.

HM - The race - amazing.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

1 - Vergne: An amazing job from Vergne, hurted by a pretty bad strategy from his team. Looks like this will be the last hurray for the Toro Rosso driver, but it was a great race from him.

2 - Gutierrez: Drove very well and has in the points, and following Raikkonen closely, when he retired.

Special mention for the leaders battle in the end of the race.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Zergon

Post by Zergon »

1) Fernando Alonso: Not only did he manage to get a second place with car that was likely fourth best on the grid but he also recovered nicely from that first safety car episode that hurt him, Vettel, Rosberg and Bottas quite badly in terms of positions.

2) Daniel Ricciardo: Great driving once again, I admit that the first safety car helped but still, great driving.

Honourable Mentions:
Lewis Hamilton: Nice recovery once again. Yes he does have the best car but it wasn´t easy to overtake in this race as Rosberg demonstrated with his inability to get past Vergne.
Jean Eric Vergne: Did stay 2nd lot longer than what I would have expected and managed to finish a respectable 9th scoring two important points for his team.
Kimi Räikkönen: Yeah, so it wasn´t great performance and he was helped with other teams and drivers making mistakes but it was certainly the best drive for him this year.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

1. Alonso
2. Ricciardo

No need to explain :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

It's a familiar story here -

1) Alonso
2) Ricciardo
went

Post by went »

1- Alonso
2- Hamilton
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

1. Alonso (says something of his drive today that a driver of his repute can get so many votes today)
2. Ricciardo
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
PT8475

Post by PT8475 »

1: Alonso - Screwed over by that safety car, and yet still making 2nd place and defending against two FAR superior cars on completely dead tyres. Heroic.
2: Vettel - That save
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

1. Fernando Alonso: How did he manage to lead most of the race in that crap car? Second place is an awesome result, even though I'm sure he is a bit disappointed not to have won.
2. Daniel Ricciardo: Two non-Mercedes wins this year, both of them for him. He was very lucky to take the lead but also had the pace.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

1. Alonso
2. Ricciardo
3. Vergne
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

Disclaimer: Not a Hamilton fan, was cheering on Ricciardo in fact. But he got lucky with a safety car while the track was drying out and the drivers in front didn't have the chance to stop when he did, and I acknowledge that fact.

1. Hamilton. Has pitlane to podium been done before on the Hungaroring?
2. Alonso. With the Mercs, redbulls, Williams etc the fastest cars these days, getting on the podium is no easy task for Ferrari.

HM Vergne, great race, great drive, but strategy...
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. Fernando Alonso
He suffered from the first SC and dropped in mid-pack. But he ended up best of those four drivers, thanks to strategy gamble which paid off.
2. Jean-Eric Vergne
Was shining mostly mid-race, running second. End result was more towards normal.

Ricciardo has had so many good races this season already that I won't nominate him this time.
bsoyuz

Post by bsoyuz »

1) Alonso
2) Ricciardo
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

1. Alonso
2. Ricciardo/Hamilton. Can't separate

HM: Wheel tethers!! Some high-profile smashes and not one loose wheel. Good to see.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Salamander wrote:1) Fernando Alonso - I feel a bit guilty saying Alonso because I rate him so highly, but I always thought he was gonna get gobbled up by Hamilton, and he wasn't. Almost pulled off a replica Gilles Villeneuve's final win - and while having to defend from DRS no less.

I will also go for Fernando Alonso, because I had the same thought and anything that reminds me of Gilles Villeneuve is no bad thing.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

1. Vettel
2. Vergne
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

Barbazza wrote:It's a familiar story here -

1) Alonso
2) Ricciardo

In which case it isn't Infinite Improbability.

It has to be JE Vergne as the the only driver where I thought, 'what the .. is he doing there?'Brilliant drives by Alonso and Ricciardo, but not improbable.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

1 - Alonso
2 - JEV
Just For One Day...
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

1. Alonso - His genius is being wasted in the Ferrari.
2. Ricciardo - As much as safety cars benefited him, they benefited Hamilton equally if not more. In the end, making that move around Hamilton stick took balls. Lots and lots of balls.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Just to change things a bit:
1. Jean-Eric Vergne - 2nd mid-race. Without a botched strategy, he could very well have unrejectified himself.
2. Esteban Gutiérrez - I think he was running seventh at one point. Impressive.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Daniel Ricciardo: Absolutely amazing performance, excellent strategy, beat Alonso in a head-to-head fight. A completely deserved second win after a brilliant race.

2) Jean-Eric Vergne: Managed to keep Nico Rosberg behind him for several laps while driving a slower car.

Honourable Mentions: Lewis Hamilton - It may have been DRS-assisted and catalysed by safety cars, but he almost won from the pitlane and beat his teammate who started on pole and whose car didn't go on fire during qualifying; Fernando Alonso - Continuing to drag the Ferrari to places where it shouldn't be.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

1. Ricciardo.Not so much for the well-deserved win - that alone wouldn't have made for a IIDOTR given Dan's talent and the quality of the Red Bull (especially with a bit of luck with the front-runners being wrong-footed by the first safety car). Those two late passes on Hamilton and Alonso made it, though.

2. Hamilton. Coming from the pitlane to the podium, especially after that first lap spin? John Watson was one of my boyhood heroes so I wasn't sorry to see Lewis just missing out on breaking Watson's 1983 Long Beach record, but that was still an epic drive.

Not quite, but still pretty improbable...
1. Alonso.
2. JEV.
3. Vettel for recovering from that spin - I was sure he was going straight into the Force India-shaped dent in the wall.
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Ricciardo: He is always there in the first row to pick up things when both Mercedes drop the ball. It was amazing for him to win again!

Fernando Alonso: This man more than deserves another title. Fantastic drive, keeping the red car in places where the red engineers fail to in the out of the factory pecking order.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
LeytonHouse

Post by LeytonHouse »

1. Alonso – One of the best drives I’ve ever seen. He did things with that car on those tyres that possibly no-one else in F1 could. Fantastic.

2. Ricciardo – The boy has it all, speed, race craft and consistency. He seized his opportunity yet again and never looked like dropping the ball. Mature beyond his years and still the surprise package of the season, he just keeps surpassing my expectations.
"A GP2 car is faster than my Caterham" - Kamui Kobayashi (Pre-season testing 2014)
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

1. Vergne - finally his car let him perform
2. Ricky - he made extremely good use of the safety car, and then scored RB's second win in 2014

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

1. Alonso: How did he manage to hold off Lewis like that with worn tires?! Amazing podium result for him! Shades of Spain 81 there.

2. Riccardo: Beat both Mercedes on merit. Made his strategy work. Brought home a well deserved victory.

Honorable Mentions:

Hamilton: Pitlane to 3rd is no easy task.

Vergne: 2nd at one point in the Torro Rosso.

Raikkonen: Had a decent run, and seemed to be trying for once.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
W12

Post by W12 »

1. Alonso
2. Vergne

HM to Ricky.
Born on the same day as HWNSNBM!

Fan of: Ricciardo, Räikkönen and Marussia (R.I.P?).