RIP Sir Jack Brabham

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Turbogirl

Re: RIP Sir Jack Brabham

Post by Turbogirl »

Another great driver from an era long gone has crossed the finish line in the race we choose to call life. Black Jack might have left us, but he will be remembered forever.

R.I.P. Sir Jack Brabham
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Just thought I'd share a little something with you guys.

As part of my research for the Bob Drake profile, I came into contact with some gentlemen in the Californian historic racing scene, including a fellow by the name of Ron Cummings, and Dr Ernie Nagamatsu. Dr Nagamatsu is the owner of Max Balchowsky's legendary Old Yeller II which Drake drove in a few races in 1960, and he still races it in historic events. Indeed, unbeknownst to me he was down here in Australia with Old Yeller II earlier this year, firstly for an historic meet at Phillip Island, and then as a special guest at the Australian Grand Prix.

What has this to do with Sir Jack Brabham?

At the Phillip Island meeting, Dr Nagamatsu was asked to give a speech in honour of Sir Jack's 88th birthday. In preparation for that, Dr Nagamatsu got in touch with Dan Gurney, who in turn penned the following poignant and beautiful tribute to Sir Jack. I see no reason not to share it here given that Dr Nagamatsu read it out as part of his speech:

Dan Gurney wrote:To: Jack Brabham

Our friend Ernie Nagamatsu, the jet-setting dentist, racer and car enthusiast par excellence, called me a few days ago, and told me about his trip to an event in Australia with Jack Brabham, as the honoree…and if I would I give him a few remarks to say in honor of Jack. I am most happy to do so.

Jack and I go far back in history together to an age when we both could hear well and walk fast and drive fast. He was the dark haired Aussie, I was the blond California surfer, now we are two gray haired old gentlemen who consider themselves lucky to still be on this planet considering what we have lived through during our racing days.

In 1959 when Jack won his first World Driver's Championship I became the rookie member of the Ferrari F 1 team. We were competitors on the F 1 circuit the following three years dueling it out nicely at places like the Nuerburgring, Watkins Glen, Monza, South Africa and Riverside. Jack hired me in 1963 as a member for his newly established Brabham F I team and during the next three years we really got to know each other. We discovered we shared similar traits. we were not only interested in driving racing cars but in building them, improving them, searching for every tiny bit of technical advantage we could find. I see both of us sitting in garages all over the world bent over engines, talking to each other and to our team: Ron Tauraunac, Phil Kerr, Roy Billington, Tim Wall, Nick Gooze. I am awfully proud that I was able to deliver the first Grand Prix victory to the Brabham marque in Rouen, France in 1964, exactly 50 years ago this July.

You as my boss were most understanding though not too happy when I left the team in 1966 to follow your example and establish my own team and build my own cars and represent my country in Europe as you had so ably done with yours. Was that a wise decision? Yes and no as you remind me every once in a while with a postcard from some of the World Champion Drivers Get-togethers " Dear Dan, if you had not left me in 1966 you could be here and drink champagne with us". Champagne? Well Jack I am still wondering what happened to the 100 bottles of Moet we won for the pole at Brands Hatch in 1965? Maybe you are drinking some tonight?

Jack and I both had young families when we arrived in Europe, we had no family money to support us, but had to establish ourselves on our own. For both of us the road has not been easy but the passion to race was so strong that we brushed all obstacles aside and pressed on regardless. We both raised sons who became successful racing drivers, one of yours Geoffrey drove for my AAR racing team on the Indy circuit, he was talented like his old man, we cherish the memory.

I have been told that only 3 men in the 100 year history of Grand Prix racing have built and won with their own F I cars You, Bruce McLaren, and I. It is a nice club to belong to however you are in a class by yourself: Bruce and I won races, but you won Championships. Your illustrious career will forever be a tough act to follow, it is a shining example for generations to come. I salute you!

Dear Jack, we wish you and Margaret and your family, especially your racing grandson Matthew, many happy miles in the future.

With love
Dan and Evi Gurney

Ron Cummings was kind enough to forward this to me after Dr Nagamatsu had sent it to him. He also forwarded to me copies of other emails between Dr Nagamatsu and Dan Gurney, and between Dr Nagamatsu and Sir Jack Brabham. It was immensely touching to see the warm camaraderie between all of them, and particularly poignant in light of Sir Jack's passing and his state funeral two days ago.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this with you guys.
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

what a nice read! I always find amazing to read when they're talking about the past. Maybe is a bit of a nostalgia perhaps (..not that I lived that particular past ;) ) but I feel it gives an insight about how things were and stuff.

anyway, i'm digressing, great read! ...I'd love to read more content like this. Letters from the past!