Re: 2014 Canadian Grand Prix Thread

Post by Jocke1 »

My name is Chilton. Max Chilton. 8-)
He was .007 behind Bianchi in FP3.
-*:-
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

GutSquared requires a chassis swap, so he's out of qualifying.
GJ. :D

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

With Gutierrez gone, I predict the back of the grid will look something like this;

17th Sutil
18th Chilton
19th Bianchi
20th Ericsson
21st Kobayashi
22nd Gutierrez
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Chilton on course for Q2 as Perez spins.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Chilton ahead of Bianchi. Oh dear, Ericsson has his 3rd quali shunt of the season.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Note that Chilton was on his last hot lap of the session when Ericsson crashed - he wasn't that far away from the cut-off.

I smell a conspiracy over at Caterham! :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

God I hope this pace from Williams is real
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

There goes the friendship. .
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Hamilton will be very frustrated with himself after that mistake, he was ahead of Rosberg for most of the weekend but was behind when it mattered. Surprised to see the Red Bulls right with the Williams. And of course my prediction of Kevin being on pole faltered :?
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Oh dear, Caterham is almost 1s behind Marussia.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

That's the first time Hamilton's ever been out-qualified by his team-mate at this track. Admittedly Button and Kovalainen were never exactly star qualifiers but when people say that it's Lewis's track I truly understand now. To paraphrase Jonathan Legard, if Rosberg beats Hamilton tomorrow, there's gonna be "all sorts of problems there"...or should it be "that's going to end in tears"
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Post by mario »

good_Ralf wrote:Hamilton will be very frustrated with himself after that mistake, he was ahead of Rosberg for most of the weekend but was behind when it mattered. Surprised to see the Red Bulls right with the Williams. And of course my prediction of Kevin being on pole faltered :?

Vettel's final lap was a big surprise given that both Williams drivers had looked like they had an edge over a single lap compared to Vettel - Vettel himself has admitted that he was taking a lot more risks than he would normally, and it looks like they paid off.

In fact, Vettel must have been flying through the corners because Massa and Bottas were both substantially quicker in the speed traps - Massa was the fastest driver at each sector timing beam and had a fairly consistent 10kph straight line speed advantage over Vettel, whilst down the back straight Massa was second fastest and had a 12kph speed advantage over Vettel. Bottas, meanwhile, was only fractionally slower than Massa and also had a similar straight line speed advantage over Vettel - the RB10 chassis is certainly not lacking if they can make that much time up around the rest of the lap.
That said, if Vettel is having to push that had over a single lap to beat the Williams drivers, I suspect that they might be able to pass him in the race - the fuel use, and possibly the tyre wear, would probably be too high to prevent him from doing that.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

East Londoner wrote:Just seen footage of Gutierrez's crash. I just...I just...why? Image Image Image

Who was that in the commentary box with Crofty?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

eytl wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Just seen footage of Gutierrez's crash. I just...I just...why? Image Image Image

It's not Alexander Rossi is it?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

AndreaModa wrote:
eytl wrote:

It's not Alexander Rossi is it?

It is.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
OsellaFA1L

Post by OsellaFA1L »

SgtPepper wrote:God I hope this pace from Williams is real

Doubt it, it is Williams after all :lol:
RIP Jules Bianchi

Only Bernie could pay his way out of a bribery court case
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Sorry to burst the bubble guys, but there's a reason why Bianchi popped in his best time early in the session and failed to come out and improve on it.

There was no chance to improve on the second because we had a problem starting the car

ROTQ goes to David Croft for mentioning twice that this was the fourth time Chilton outqualified Bianchi this year, when it's actually 4-3 in Bianchi's favour.

And I've got a helmet ready for the backlash that will come from the forumites for me being a nitpicker and point this out, instead of being ecstatic at Chilton beating his supposedly more-talented teammate.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

wsrgo wrote:Sorry to burst the bubble guys, but there's a reason why Bianchi popped in his best time early in the session and failed to come out and improve on it.

There was no chance to improve on the second because we had a problem starting the car

ROTQ goes to David Croft for mentioning twice that this was the fourth time Chilton outqualified Bianchi this year, when it's actually 4-3 in Bianchi's favour.

And I've got a helmet ready for the backlash that will come from the forumites for me being a nitpicker and point this out, instead of being ecstatic at Chilton beating his supposedly more-talented teammate.

Just because you can't handle the GOAT swag Chilton has, doesn't mean you have to ruin it for the rest of us. :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Post by mario »

Now you bring it up, the way that Gutierrez lost the car in that corner was a bit strange - normally, you either end up spinning in the first part because you've put a wheel on the grass or end up going into the wall on the exit of the corner because you carried too much speed through the entry phase.

I'm not sure that I can remember a driver crashing into that part of the wall on their own in the way Gutierrez did - and to damage the chassis sufficiently to require a new one to boot just adds insult to injury for Sauber.

On another note, Kobayashi is set to be hit with a five place grid penalty for having to change his gearbox - that said, given how far back he is starting anyway, that's not exactly that much of a blow anyway.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

East Londoner wrote:
wsrgo wrote:Sorry to burst the bubble guys, but there's a reason why Bianchi popped in his best time early in the session and failed to come out and improve on it.

Just because you can't handle the GOAT swag Chilton has, doesn't mean you have to ruin it for the rest of us. :P

Talent has more swag than all the other drivers put together.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

East Londoner wrote:

Max Chilton is Capra hircus?
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

mario wrote:Kobayashi is set to be hit with a five place grid penalty for having to change his gearbox - that said, given how far back he is starting anyway, that's not exactly that much of a blow anyway.

Caterham is having an absolutely horrendous weekend so far. :?

Edit: Chandhok posted an interesting picture, which just makes their situation even worse for the rest of the year:

Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Shizuka wrote:Caterham is having an absolutely horrendous weekend so far. :?

Edit: Chandhok posted an interesting picture, which just makes their situation even worse for the rest of the year:

fixed
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Shizuka wrote:Caterham is having an absolutely horrendous weekend so far. :?

Now that is an understatement and a half. The cars are a second slower than even the Marussia's which is poor. I suppose the only positive for them is at least they weren't as far off the pace as we thought on Friday (6 to 4 seconds) and some of it might be down to the Renault power but it confirms that there is a long way to go for them
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

I wouldn't be surprised if Marussia manages to lap them.

Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Shizuka wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Marussia manages to lap them.

I'm not sure that. Or better, if the cars finish, that might happen. Ericsson has been, well, awful to say at least, and I wouldn't be surprised if he something like Trulli did in 1998 into turn 1. But he will end up crashing. Kobayshi, well, he might finish, but he'll probably bin it because of his frustration.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Does anyone else think of a 'piggybank slot' when looking at the Lotus nose? I have all year.
I keep imagining it something like this;

jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

Not too unbelievable having read about their finances.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Red Bull have confirmed on twitter that Adrian Newey will be staying on a multi-year deal
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

...with focus on other projects as well, not exclusively focusing on F1!

mario

Post by mario »

Shizuka wrote:...with focus on other projects as well, not exclusively focusing on F1!

That is the more interesting aspect - Newey is staying on for a good yew years yet, but Autosport are indicating that Newey's role will be as an advisor to the team instead of being directly involved in the day to day activities of the team. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114345

This is going to be an interesting test of the depth and strength of Red Bull's technical department - with Newey scaling back his involvement and Prodromou heading for McLaren, that is a fairly substantial change to the senior ranks of Red Bull's design team. It'll also be interesting to see what Newey decides to focus his attention on - perhaps towards aquatic sports given his love of yachting?
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Shizuka wrote:...with focus on other projects as well, not exclusively focusing on F1!

Perhaps he will stop crashing GT cars and build one to win with. Le Mans is calling.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I hope Canada lives up to its regular reputation for entertaining, and it would be nice if Williams were able to sneak a podium from their good grid slots.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Temperatures are going to go through the roof at the first corner. I can feel it
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Temperatures are going to go through the roof at the first corner. I can feel it

As long as nobody does a Wurz barrel-roll!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

NOOOOOOO!!!!!! :cry:
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Oops! Caterham will be hoping for a high attrition rate now, with the two Marussias out.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

CHILTON IS GONE OH GOD
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

FullMetalJack wrote:NOOOOOOO!!!!!! :cry:

I have just screamed that in front of the tv. :cry:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote: