Ukraine crisis leads to drivers being sanctioned?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Ukraine crisis leads to drivers being sanctioned?

Post by Londoner »

Possibly opening a massive can of worms with this thread, due to the political situation in Ukraine/Crimea. But anyway, Taki Inoue just shared this article via Facebook.

http://en.ria.ru/sports/20140414/189220430/Russian-Auto-Racers-Hit-by-US-Sanctions-Over-Ukraine-Crisis--.html

If this is true, Sergey Sirotkin can kiss goodbye to his career. Aleshin was racing at Long Beach just a few days ago in IndyCar, so this development, if true, has only just happened. Will this affect Kvyat and his place in F1 (although he is backed by Red Bull, so he should be OK)?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
CoopsII

Re: Ukraine crisis leads to drivers being sanctioned?

Post by CoopsII »

You dont think this whole mess is a strategy to get Putin a drive somewhere do you? :o

"You go tell them now, I am available, da?"
Just For One Day...
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

This is the part of the article I'm most interested in:

SMP Racing is Aleshin's main sponsor in Indy Car, but the organization's sports director Sergei Zlobin told R-Sport that Aleshin's career had yet to be affected by the sanctions. However, SMP Racing-backed racers in European series could be left unable to compete, Zlobin said.

"I feel like hoping that all these disturbances don't affect the first Russian driver in [Indy Car]," Zlobin said of Aleshin. "The problems that our European office is facing in connection with the impossibility of using funds in the account will result in our drivers not being able to take part in European championships."

Zlobin added that Europe-based drivers could soon be unable to meet their equipment costs or pay participation fees to compete.

Sergei Zlobin!
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Bathplug Obama and EU leaders! :x The drivers don't deserve to be punished because the old USA/Russia feud.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

If only the Western world could sanction Venezuela
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

What the hell, USA? What the hell, Russia? What the hell, Ukraine? What the hell, EU?

This was a complete overview of my personal attitude towards current political situation.
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Dammit. Potential reject gold may have gotten flushed out of the washplant.

A political situation like this shouldn't have an outcome on innocent racing drivers. But I can see some logic in the situation with SMP Racing. Actually, very little.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

eytl wrote:This is the part of the article I'm most interested in:

Sergei Zlobin!

Yes, me too. It's hard not to be an admirer of Zlobin's own efforts as a racecar driver after the bathplugging plugs you and Jamie have given him on your podcasts. Here's hoping you discuss this news item in detail on the next one, too!
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Yannick wrote:It's hard not to be an admirer of Zlobin's own efforts as a racecar driver after the bathplugging plugs you and Jamie have given him on your podcasts. Here's hoping you discuss this news item in detail on the next one, too!

You won't be disappointed, my friend. :D
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Is Nikita Zlobin, who's plugging around in German F3 with ADM with SMP backing, any relation to Sergei?
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Does anyone know what the letters SMP stand for?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Waris wrote:Does anyone know what the letters SMP stand for?

Standard Mafia Protocols?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA