Bahrain GP ROTR

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
rachel1990

Bahrain ROTR

Post by rachel1990 »

So the site is back and its time for this weeks reject of the race - Several nominations for the win

f1 rejects server- goes down during one of the best gps in a long time
Ferrari- Oh well done. 9th and 10th. The only team ironically who were like taxi cabs!!!
Mclaren- Double DNF and the worst Mercedes powered team. Awful

but the clear winner is
Maldonado- Will get more than a few penalty points for that one- Deserves a ban!! Could have KILLED Gutierrez!!!

(Extra point to me for going mad when I couldn't get on the site)
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
TomPryce

Bahrain GP ROTR

Post by TomPryce »

I'm nominating Maldonado for that absolutely insane smash into Gutierrez.

Also F1 Rejects' servers, because why has there been NO activity at ALL since the race?
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
LukeB

Re: Bahrain ROTR

Post by LukeB »

Maldonado. Sauber have enough problems without some pillock flipping their cars over.
Making up the numbers
good_Ralf

Re: Bahrain ROTR

Post by good_Ralf »

Ferrari - Slow, slow, slow
McLaren - First double DNF since 2009, although the last time neither car finished proper was Indy 2006

Pastor Maldonado - Triggered F1's most spectacular crash in 2 years and also wrecked Williams' race (again!)
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Londoner

Re: Bahrain GP ROTR

Post by Londoner »

For me, ROTR has to go to McLaren. This is starting to look ominous. A repeat of 2013 is on the cards at this rate. :(

Very unpopular opinion considering the amount of Maldonado crucifying that's going on all over the internet, but I view it as a racing incident. There was certainly no malice intended, unlike what some rabid commentors on the internet would have you believe. Yes, Maldonado was clumsy, but I feel Gutierrez could have left more room.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
James1978

Post by James1978 »

How about a vote for everyone calling for rule changes? That race was great!!

But it's really got to go to Maldonado hasn't it? I dread to think how many deaths there would have been if he'd been around in the 60s or 70s. Not only was the Gutierrez incident scary enough, but I never saw what happened with Vergne either apart from Vergne's team radio!!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Voting for Sauber for a third time in a row, simply because today was woeful.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Ataxia wrote:Voting for Sauber for a third time in a row, simply because today was woeful.

I don't think its going to be third time lucky...
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I give my ROTR to Sutil: He started in the last position (thanks for his antics in qualify), crashed with Bianchi two times and was the first driver to retire from the race (probably because the damage from the crash). At least Maldonado did an awesome job fighting in the middle-field with that crap car, despite the horrendous crash with Gutierrez.

And speaking about Sauber, the team deserves a special mention. It's the second double DNF in-a-row. As well, Mclaren: Australian Heroes to Bahrain Zeroes.

Brazilian TV Coverage: For cutting the official transmition several times for showing an onboard camera in Massa's car. C'mon, there are others 21 drivers that I want to see. :x

And of course, a special mention to Maldonado: Clumsy crash.

James1978 wrote:How about a vote for everyone calling for rule changes? That race was great!!

But it's really got to go to Maldonado hasn't it? I dread to think how many deaths there would have been if he'd been around in the 60s or 70s. Not only was the Gutierrez incident scary enough, but I never saw what happened with Vergne either apart from Vergne's team radio!!

Well, lets nominate Bernie Ecclestone: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113312
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

I can't give it to Maldolan -- it was because of him that the race got interesting in the first place.

Adrian Sutil -- If you make Gutierrez look good, there's something VERY WRONG WITH YOU.
FIA Stewards -- Penalties for the guy in front not using the mirrors, more stupid penalties that make no sense... too many goddamn penalties will kill the racing!!
GP2 Series -- Given how well Bottas and Kvyat have gone... GP2 looks really pointless, doesn't it?
Williams -- BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Gotta love that karma from last week.
Esteban Gutierrez -- Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.
Mark Webber -- See what Ricciardo was doing? Yeah, Red Bull gave you 6 years to do that, and all you could do was crash into Vettel or get your ass kicked. Good riddance. :D
Ferrari -- Going back to Ferrari traditions of being mediocre, are we?
McLaren -- Harkening back to 20 years ago, are we?
Last edited by Cynon on 06 Apr 2014, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I'll hand an honourable mention the way of the stewards for penalising Bianchi for the contact with Sutil - he was clearly alongside when they started turning in, it's not his fault Sutil forgot cars are solid objects. It's also not his fault Sutil punctured his tyre on his car when he forced him off at turn 4. ROTR itself goes the way of - you guessed it - Adrian Sutil, as, despite his admittedly very correct complaints about the weight limit, it was still an incredibly poor performance from him all weekend. He was brought into the team to get the results that Gutierrez couldn't, but if he can't even do that...?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
tkcom

Post by tkcom »

Maldonado - Kinda wished Lotus didn't build the car like a tank. First with JEV at the start, then Guti and still finished the race. Disgusting.

DHM

Ferrari - Getting nonchalantly passed by midfielders.
McLaren - Missed out on the Merc-powered bonanza.
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

1)Ferrari: Being overtaken in the main straight without the aid of the DRS is way too embarasing.

2)McLaren: RonSpeak about how the car was winning contestant hurt them more than they imagine

Dishonorable mentions to Pastor Maldonado (renovating his membership to the Carbon Fiber Club), Jules Bianchi (2 mistakes in 2 races, and TALENT is overshadowing you!), and Williams(from battling the Force Indias to being beaten by the Red Bulls)

The Do a Barrel Roll Award goes to Pastor Maldonado for making Esteban Gutierrez look the world upside down
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

This Forum: I'm finally ready to discuss a race and you have to go down. But this usually happens at this time so be fair to J+E

Seriously though Ferrari were just dire today. They were being passed by Mercedes powered cars and the Red Bulls left right and centre and the only car I actually remember a Ferrari overtaking was Raikkonen on Maldonado's out of sync Lotus. Says it all really. They need some serious upgrades and quickly.

Adrian Sutil had a dismal weekend being the slowest of the non Caterham/Marussia battle and retiring after contact with Bianchi. His claim to go without a drinks bottle was ridiculous and Gutierrez had the beating of him all weekend. Just a howler of a weekend all round. Get GVDG in that car soon.

Where on earth was Kevin Magnussen all race? He was nowhere. So anonymous in fact I actually forgot he was racing until he parked up. At least Button got to as high as 5th for parts of the race. In fairness it's Kev's first go at Bahrain but that excuse can only go so far I'm afraid

And although I also defend him for not being malicious in his Gutierrez crash Pastor Maldonado has to get a mention for being Pastor Maldonado unfortunately. His only saving grace is that he was actually showing some speed for once and so he doesn't take the award.

I'm going for TV Director this time because they missed some images once again. We never got to see the replays of the opening lap accident and what happened to Vergne whether Pastor really was trying to "kill" him like JEV said and then at the end they cut away from the great lead battle to show the fight for 7th. Any other race and that would have been fine but it wasn't today. I was almost screaming "show us the lead fight for christ sake. Poor all round
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

ROTR: Pastor Maldonado. Aside from the hilarious "Do a barrel roll!" moment, that move was a straightup brainfade. The fact that he blamed Esteban for it only adds fuel to the fire. Maybe the ramp-like nose for the Lotus was his idea :lol:

(Dis)Honourable Mentions:
Sauber. Even with outside intervention and the fact that the drivers had plenty of bad luck thrown their way, their pace was nothing special, which in this race left them completely in the dust.
Ferrari. Although Kimi turned out to be a good wall for much of the race the Prancing Horses were trailing the pace all race. Even Ferrari's CEO disapproves now, so thats not a good sign for the future.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

ROTR: Adrian Sutil - Poor, poor. Not just the race, but all weekend. It definetelly had to culminate in a DNF.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Cynon wrote:I can't give it to Maldolan -- it was because of him that the race got interesting in the first place.

Look at this and tell me with all honesty that's guti's fault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScpZCCkRigo
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

When Bianchi torpedoed Sutil, I thought I had a good nominee for rotr.

Then came Maldonado. I give it to him.
-*:-
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Jocke1 wrote:When Bianchi torpedoed Sutil, I thought I had a good nominee for rotr.

Please explain how being fully alongside = torpedoing.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Must be Pastor Maldonado. He was miles behind Gutierrez going into the first corner. The last person who did such a move got his superlicense revoked, so Maldonado can consider himself really lucky with just a 10 second stop and go penalty, a 5 place grid penalty and 3 penalty points.

Which leads me to the first of the first of my honorable mentions: The penalty points system. Seriously, impeding another driver in qualifying means two penalty points. Flipping another driver over means three. So impeding three drivers in qualifying is just as bad as flipping to drivers over? Are you joking?

Other honorable mentions go to Ferrari and McLaren.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

*Opens thread*

Maldonado

*Closes thread*
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Frentzen127 wrote:
Cynon wrote:I can't give it to Maldolan -- it was because of him that the race got interesting in the first place.

Looks no different from the TV angles as far as what you can see and what you can't. It's not entirely Gutierrez's fault, but at the same time, had I seen Maldonado -- especially Maldonado -- coming, I'd turn in late and crossover. Since that crash made the race interesting, I can't give Maldonado ROTR.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Really 3 teams can take this award:

Sauber, and in particular Adrian Sutil have been disappointing, though with the former it was to be expected. Sutil though should've been higher than where he was, and though part of that might've been due to the penalty he got, dicing with the Caterhams and Marussias while your teammate - the one who is frequently lambasted for being slow - is beating you is well, rejectful.

The Two Most Established Teams: Ferrari were slow, and it was pretty telling to see the other cars just pass them like they were being lapped. McLaren did fare better than Ferrari, but both DNFed and before that they were fourth out of the four Merc powered cars.
Last edited by Dan B on 06 Apr 2014, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Maldonado, duh :lol:
Trump 2016
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

Salamander wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:When Bianchi torpedoed Sutil, I thought I had a good nominee for rotr.

Please explain how being fully alongside = torpedoing.

It becomes that when Bianchi is the one who lost control of his car (the rear of the Marussia is spinning before the collision at Turn One), as a result of diving for an overtake from such a long way back, with the only possible result being a collision with whatever was on his outside.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
girry

Post by girry »

Ferrari, Lotus, McLaren and Sauber.

Poor Hulk, rejected by all four of them.... :lol:
when you're dead people start listening
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Maldonado, no contest!
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Frentzen127 wrote:

Thanks for posting that video, I was facing a difficult decision over ROTR until I re-saw the incident. Initially I thought Gutierrez should have checked his mirrors more but he left a decent amount of space and Maldonado just clattered into him. So that's Maldonado as my definite ROTR (although I do also have him as an honourable mention in the IIDOTR as well!).

If the crash hadn't been quite so clear cut, I'd probably have gone for McLaren. They could have got points this weekend but you have to compare them with the other Mercedes teams and they were a clear 4th out of 4 when it comes to that, when by size of operations they should be a comfortable 2nd. What's more is they've come out with this publicocrap. Button did well to keep that car as far up the order as he did whilst Magnussen was a bit anonymous.

Ferrari and Sutil also struggled this weekend. Also BBC might be worth a shout for showing the highlights so late and also putting together a package which didn't clearly explain any of the shake-ups from the pit stops (I remember being confused as to how Perez was somehow behind both the Williams after the first pit stops, along with several other shuffles).
Last edited by watka on 06 Apr 2014, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Although Maldonado seems to get the most votes here, I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari got the ROTR, they were completely nowhere this weekend. You always have to go for the darkhorse when voting for ROTR, as we've seen last weekend :P
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

I would give ROTR outside the race, here's the detail

I take Maldonado and Gutierrez crash as race accindent, clearly both not expected each other to do so

Despite some slow pace of some teams, the battle nullified the ROTR

Also I have not watch the race from lap 1 to lap 7, yeah, a power outage in my house last night made me start to watch the race from lap 7. That's my ROTR :oops:
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

I am siding with no one on the incident with Gutiérrez and Maldonado, as I feel it was a racing incident. Maldonado was exiting the pits. He had the opportunity to use his mirrors. There was only one car in sight on the straight behind him. He could have slowed down and moved over to avoid hitting Gutiérrez as Esteban was going by (kind of), so Estaban could actually get by. However, if you clearly look at the onboard of Gutiérrez's car, he likely saw Maldonado exiting the pits, but he should have used his mirrors to judge if he needed more room to give to Maldonado to avoid a collision. Either way, I believe both of them made a mistake which lead to a collision, and I feel both of them have a reason for blame.

Therefore, I exclude the incident from my top 3.

3. - My being away from a TV and at a canoe race - I had to miss that?! WHY?!?!?!

2. - McLaren - They were by far the worst Mercedes team and they double DNFed as well. Just a poor weekend all around.

But the clear winner of my ROTR nominations is by far Ferrari. When Luca di Montezemolo himself books and early flight home ala Nigel Mansell style because of a poor performing car (although with a poor result and flight home on time to show for it instead), then you had a really bad day in the office.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Maldonado

I can't believe there's even any other nominations this week. (Although everyone is entitled to have a wrong opinion, after all ;))
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
mario

Post by mario »

AustralianStig wrote:Maldonado

I can't believe there's even any other nominations this week. (Although everyone is entitled to have a wrong opinion, after all ;))

Ferrari and McLaren both made quite an effort to wrest the award from him though - both Ferrari's were utterly defenceless against both Force India drivers, who could pretty much overtake them at will, whilst McLaren, by their own admission, are struggling with rear tyre wear and are dropping backwards quite rapidly through the field before retiring. It's perhaps even more worrying for McLaren that they are falling back when they supposedly have the best engine package in the field...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Ferrari - when a Red Bull of all the cars passes them without a functioning DRS at the time, that is disappointing. And Renault is supposed to be the weakest engine of the bunch. Alonso celebrating a 9th place. Kimi 10th. That is starting to look like 1993 folks: Berger is Kimi after a few years somewhere else, and Alesi is Alonso wrestling cars to place where it does not belong.
Lord Montezuma's facial expression says it all.

McLaren - they seem to fall rapidly back. Mercedes, Force India, Red Bull and Williams were clearly ahead of them, and Ferrari was having the better of them too. That means, the Macca is now a contender for 6th. If Lotus improves, they'll have a hard time scoring regularly. That double mechanical DNF is also worth a mention.

Sauber - as usual: Lotus is clearly ahead of them. This is the team 9th in the pecking order at the moment. Sutil having to drive without a water bottle to save weight? Wow. Scoring another DNF (although through incidents this time)? Okay... well, how about Sutil being clearly slower than GutSquared of all people?

Maldonado's antics are back from 2012, however, this barrel roll helped us drastically in terms of entertainment. But still. This is very dangerous.

Those three teams all have a reason to be RotR, but since Enoch likes to mention obscure things as RotR, I'll go with the forum downtime. :lol:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ferrari - Its starting to feel like the early 90s.
Maldonado - Pastor! Look what you did!
Just For One Day...
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

This is tough.
I think I will nominate Sauber for tepid mediocraty with a dishonourable mention for Maldonado
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
LeytonHouse

Post by LeytonHouse »

ROTR
Maldonado – Tried to “kill” Vergne on lap 1 and then nearly beheaded Gutierrez Gutierrez. Should have been given more penalty points imo. At this rate he can go ahead and roll another 3 drivers before he gets banned! :o

(Dis)Honourable mentions:
- Ferrari’s top speed.
- McLaren’s reliability.
- Sutil for being generally slow and incident prone all weekend.
- Me for hating Bahrain as a circuit/race and then blurting out on my Facebook that it was one of the best races I’ve ever seen! :D
Last edited by LeytonHouse on 09 Apr 2014, 12:17, edited 2 times in total.
"A GP2 car is faster than my Caterham" - Kamui Kobayashi (Pre-season testing 2014)
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I will go with Luca Di Montezemolo and Bernie Ecclestone because their "taxi drivers" and "unacceptable" commentaries came back to haunt them as the sport once again rose above such claims and delivered one of the greatest races of the decade.

As for the second nomination, FIA Stewards and penalties. I dislike this new fashion of handing several penalties for one transgression. I mean, I understand the in race penalties, but piling up grid penalties on top of that? And let's not forget the license points penalties rashly placed in some cases. It just seems a bit silly.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Cynon wrote:GP2 Series -- Given how well Bottas and Kvyat have gone... GP2 looks really pointless, doesn't it?

In its recent years you may be accurate, but this was only the second race where all of top three have raced in GP2 Series at some point. The first was Canada 2012, just replace Rosberg with Grosjean.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Ferrari were poor, McLaren and Williams are both flattering to deceive, Sutil was being a total idiot all weekend (nothing knew there, mind) but the nomination absolutely has to go to Maldonado for another stupid incident.