2014 Australian Grand Prix Thread - A New Dawn?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Jocke1

Re: 2014 Australian Grand Prix Thread - A New Dawn?

Post by Jocke1 »

Massa wants Kobayashi banned.
-*:-
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Kobayashi has said sorry but yeah, not a great return! Plenty of options for ROTR this week
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Jocke1 wrote:Massa wants Kobayashi banned.

Seems early in the season for that!
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Crikey, that Hulkenberg lock-up sounded like someone screaming! I'm quite enjoying the fact we can hear them these days.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Paul Hayes wrote:Crikey, that Hulkenberg lock-up sounded like someone screaming! I'm quite enjoying the fact we can hear them these days.

I know I thought it was the future Mrs Rosberg!!!
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Anyone who hates the sound of these new cars is a complete philistine. Just saying. :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

We always said lock ups were hair-raising, that certainly was! Good lord!! can hear the PA!!

Maldonado has ended up behind Grosjean despite Grosjean having a drive through!
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
S951

Post by S951 »

sound isn't loud enough never heard the pa so clearly before during a race
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Good thing there though is that pressure will be off Spa this season!

Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

No points for Caterham, then.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Ericcson out!! :-( Button using DRS in yellow flags? Isn't that normally disabled remotely?
Last edited by sswishbone on 16 Mar 2014, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.

S951

Post by S951 »

will talent talent talent get marussia first point(s)?

sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Maldonado comes to a screeching halt!!

rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

and there goes the Pastor- Surprise Surprise :roll:
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Ricciardo is about to do something Webber could never manage, get onto the podium in Australia.
-*:-
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Loving how you hear the wheel spin out of the box now! Broken nose for JB!

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Button's McLaren has been circumcised. :lol:

That said, he's absolutely flying at the moment.

Kimi has clearly stopped giving a bathplug. :lol:
Last edited by Londoner on 16 Mar 2014, 07:07, edited 1 time in total.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Raikonnen epic fail!

S951

Post by S951 »

Bottas to make the podium maybe??

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

rachel1990 wrote:and there goes the Pastor- Surprise Surprise :roll:

Boo, stop hating on the Pastor. He lasted 10 times longer in the race than I though he would. :P
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Stop seems to have worked out quite well for Button, let's hope there's no serious damage to the car. McLaren won't be happy about a pit stop issue, especially as they seem to have worked so hard to try and eliminate them.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

East Londoner wrote:
rachel1990 wrote:and there goes the Pastor- Surprise Surprise :roll:

Boo, stop hating on the Pastor. He lasted 10 times longer in the race than I though he would. :P

I was more being sarcastic about the lotus not making it
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Mclaren so far have really got the pace on these primes

sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Bloody hell go on Magnussen!!!

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

sswishbone wrote:Bloody hell go on Magnussen!!!

Please DNF Magnussen! I don't want to loose my avatar challange with go_Rubens this early in the season!!!!
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
ryangregg12345

Post by ryangregg12345 »

Oh no, not again

Hamilton starts from pole, then fails to make it to the flag :(

First time the polesitter has retired since the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix, a mere 20 races ago, and the first since I joined this forum.
And we went through 2013 without one. And those last four polesitter DNF's came from Hamilton.

But GO MAGNUSSEN :D :D :D
Last edited by ryangregg12345 on 16 Mar 2014, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.
1989 Monaco Grand Prix
Murray Walker: Rene says the reason he is going so slow is because he’s used to turbo cars, and these exasperated engine cars are a different kettle of fish to drive.
James Hunt: And all I can say to that is bullsh*t.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Grosjean parks the car, bad to worse for Lotus, Hulkenberg must be giggling at missing out on that drive

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Grosjean out. Lotus have done so well today. When they get that car properly reliable, they'll be up there. They get some sympy from the people.

Sauber must be worried. No pace whatsoever, and even the Lotus in it's current state was faster.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Great to see fresh talent heading the positions

sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Dominant by Rosberg and underlining their championship favourites, great from Mclaren though to have some damn good pace, awesome from Ricciardo to survive in that Red Bull and a good race from Alonso too, pity hampered by electricals

Why has Rosberg parked at Position 2? Unless it is for a PR favour to Ricciardo?
Last edited by sswishbone on 16 Mar 2014, 07:45, edited 2 times in total.

Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

A good race all-round, I think. We've certainly had worse starts to the season. Now, if someone can just close the gap to Mercedes, we should be in for a good 2014... (But I can't see them being as bulletproof as Red Bull have been in recent years, anyway...)
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Kinda dull finish, but happy Rosberg won.

Ricciardoes what Webber couldn't. Swallow that one, Wibbah. :D
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
S951

Post by S951 »

kevin does look to be something special

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Two unrejectifications in the same race! When was the last time that happened?

Ricciardo looks like a schoolboy who's been kissed by his childhood sweetheart for the first time. Massively pleased for him and Mags. :)

What a fantastic race.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Magnussen - 1
Button - 0

I like that. And Mags unrejectified along with Ricciardo. Rob, you are the proud wearer of an Arsenal avatar, I think!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Kevin Magnussen. Wow! What a debut weekend! On the limit and didn't put a foot wrong.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Epic result for Ricciardo, the first Australian to finish on the podium of his home race (not including Webber's debut)
And well done to Magnussen, the first Dane on the F1 rostrum. I can't remember the last time two drivers finished on the podium for the first time in the same race.

That was the first race since Germany '94 with two new podium finishers in the same race.
And to prove how dull 2013 was, already we have the first new podium finishers in F1 since Japan 2012.
Last edited by good_Ralf on 16 Mar 2014, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
mario

Post by mario »

Paul Hayes wrote:A good race all-round, I think. We've certainly had worse starts to the season. Now, if someone can just close the gap to Mercedes, we should be in for a good 2014... (But I can't see them being as bulletproof as Red Bull have been in recent years, anyway...)

Mercedes seem to be very strong right now - you'd have to assume that it would have been a fairly comfortable 1-2 finish if Hamilton hadn't broken down - but it might be a minor worry for Mercedes that Hamilton's failed fuel injection system was the first time that problem had cropped up. Reliability was actually fairly strong in this race - only three retirements due to mechanical failure, which is the same mechanical failure rate as in 2013 - but we'll see how the teams cope with the more arduous conditions in Malaysia and Bahrain once the engines have more mileage on them.

good_Ralf wrote:Epic result for Ricciardo, the first Australian to finish on the podium of his home race (not including Webber's debut)
And well done to Magnussen, the first Dane on the F1 rostrum. I can't remember the last time two drivers finished on the podium for the first time in the same race.

They both did excellent jobs there - Ricciardo for withstanding pressure from Magnussen whilst driving an essentially unproven car and Magnussen for a very mature drive that belies his inexperience. Credit where it is due, it was actually a pretty solid weekend for the rookie drivers all round - Kvyat caused a few problems in the practise sessions where his inexperience showed, but he was able to keep Kimi very honest in that race and was quite level headed when having to deal with Bottas forcing his way back up the field (speaking of which, it does make you wonder what Bottas might have done if he hadn't had hit the wall - he'd probably have beaten Alonso at the very least given that both Ferrari drivers were reportedly slightly down on power).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I'm heartened by how well Lotus ran, after all of their problems they got both cars running for over half the race. And even though both cars dropped out, they were already faster than Sauber.

Sauber look like they're in a whole world of trouble. Two very average drivers, and seemingly no race pace at all.
ryangregg12345

Post by ryangregg12345 »

History has been made for many reasons

Ricciardo becomes the first Australian to finish on the podium on home soil
Magnussen is the first ever Dane on an F1 podium and matches Hamilton's feat of finishing third on his debut in a McLaren at Albert Park
Kvyat also scores on his debut with tenth place
:D :D :D
1989 Monaco Grand Prix
Murray Walker: Rene says the reason he is going so slow is because he’s used to turbo cars, and these exasperated engine cars are a different kettle of fish to drive.
James Hunt: And all I can say to that is bullsh*t.