Random F1 spottings

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dr-baker

Random F1 spottings

Post by dr-baker »

A friend told me this morning that they spotted Ross Brawn at a Tom Jones concert at Wembley on Saturday (that would be the weekend immediately after he became a championship-winning team boss and the weekend before the season fianle). I don't think the concert was a tribute to a reject F1 driver... Anybody else have any random sighting of F1 folk?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Re: Random F1 spottings

Post by WeirdKerr »

ok.... im not sure if it was him but i was sitting eating a pizza in the outside seats of a cafe in Brussles in 1995 on the saturday evening of the belgium gp (i was going to the race the next day) and Micheal Schumacher walked past......
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

I was at the Hungarian Grand Prix 1996. At the city of Budapest, I was with by father searching some hotel, where there should have been old McLaren car in the lobby. Didn't find that but saw Ken Tyrrell there. Few moments later Gerhard Berger visited there.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Here in Cologne, there is a public park which has got a fairly historical building with a restaurant and a huge patio in its middle. A few years ago, I was for a walk there on the afternoon of qualifying for the Nürburgring GP. I intended to get some ice cream at the restaurant, but couldn't since it had been booked for the whole rest of the day by Panasonic Team Toyota, the local F1 squad. But there wasn't even a single person seated at the tables on the patio even though it was an afternoon just perfect for that. So I was a bit annoyed by that.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I have no idea why he was there, but I spotted Takuma Sato entering a hotel in Edinburgh.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I remember a while back, when my Aunt was a car saleswoman for Acura, we went to visit her when they had Jacques Villeneuve's BAR Honda car at the showroom.
"Grosjean has a great desire to turn around and look at the corner he's just gone through, too many times per lap or per session, he's always spinning that Renault"
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

I mentioned it in a different thread, but I was nearly run over by Gerhard Berger once; and my wife was in front of Robert Doornbos in a queue in a hotel in Milton Keynes.
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

I'm sure I saw Jenson Button in Woking today...
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

noisebox wrote:I'm sure I saw Jenson Button in Woking today...

Well, no one has seen Lewis in Croydon :P

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=105105&hl
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I saw at the very least a dead ringer for Nick Fry struggling with some bags at Surbiton station. I assume it wasn't him because a) I don't think he'd travel by train, and b) it was a Thursday afternoon before the Valencia GP so I assume he was probably there.

And that's about it.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Unlike my previous rather flippant post, I really did see Gordon Murray in WH Smiths in Woking a while back reading an arcticle in Autocar about his city car project.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
dragonsteincole

Post by dragonsteincole »

noisebox wrote:Unlike my previous rather flippant post, I really did see Gordon Murray in WH Smiths in Woking a while back reading an arcticle in Autocar about his city car project.

Typical. It's a store, not a library. you should have made him buy it if he wanted to read it. :D

As for mine, I guess the Reagent's Street demo a few years ago is my closest brush with F1
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Jackie Stewart once came to my university, to do a speech on dyslexia.
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Collieafc wrote:Jackie Stewart once came to my university, to do a speech on dyslexia.

That would actually be interesting...maybe
"Grosjean has a great desire to turn around and look at the corner he's just gone through, too many times per lap or per session, he's always spinning that Renault"
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Jordan wrote:
Collieafc wrote:Jackie Stewart once came to my university, to do a speech on dyslexia.

That would actually be interesting...maybe

I dont know, I wasnt at the speech. I only seen it in the student paper that day, but got a sight (and autograph!) of him afterwards
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
hootie

Post by hootie »

i'll put one in

i was going home around
midnight on the way to the train station
when i saw
nico rosberg and his trainer
jogging around the mall
past me

this was 2 nights before friday free practice
in this years Singapore GP

so them drivers do keep
their bodies to the European time zone
when they come here to race at night
hootie
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Not particularly exciting but in Stratford we were coming out of Waterstones just as David Richards was walking in.
TeamTipper

Post by TeamTipper »

My Dad was a marshall at Brands hatch and he met Perry McCarthy Martin Donelly!!! Also when we went to the Goodwood I met Jean Alesi when I was 10. I was so happy :lol: Also my dad almost got a job at Williams F1 in 200. Had he got it I wouldnt be in New Zealand
Mechanical Engineering Student
Bias view of F1
Forti F1 Fan
TeamTipper for 2011 entry lol
HWSNBM as my No.1 driver
Formula One Rejects as my main sponsor
razta

Post by razta »

Gilles27

Post by Gilles27 »

I once worked on a stall at the Goodwood Festival of Speed and Dave Richards bought a picture from me. It was about £500 I seem to remember. Seemed a very happy bloke. I didn't get an autograph, but I do know the PIN number for his Mastercard!
Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Gilles27 wrote:I once worked on a stall at the Goodwood Festival of Speed and Dave Richards bought a picture from me. It was about £500 I seem to remember. Seemed a very happy bloke. I didn't get an autograph, but I do know the PIN number for his Mastercard!

Which works just as well as his autograph if you want to buy yourself something...
frongor

Post by frongor »

Yuji Ide sometimes works as a guest commentator at the F1 restuarant "Pit stop cafe" in central Tokyo. During last year I won the "bet the podium"-quiz twice and had a small talk with him. He is quite good as a commentator , but seems to be embarrased when he is asked about his own F1-experience. :roll:
Super Aguri - come back!
Waris

Post by Waris »

TeamTipper wrote:My Dad was a marshall at Brands hatch and he met Perry McCarthy Martin Donelly!!! Also when we went to the Goodwood I met Jean Alesi when I was 10. I was so happy :lol: Also my dad almost got a job at Williams F1 in 200. Had he got it I wouldnt be in New Zealand

Wow, I knew Williams were old, but I didn't know they have been around THAT long... :lol:
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Waris wrote:
TeamTipper wrote:My Dad was a marshall at Brands hatch and he met Perry McCarthy Martin Donelly!!! Also when we went to the Goodwood I met Jean Alesi when I was 10. I was so happy :lol: Also my dad almost got a job at Williams F1 in 200. Had he got it I wouldnt be in New Zealand

Wow, I knew Williams were old, but I didn't know they have been around THAT long... :lol:

He's obviously referring to 200 after Christ, Waris.
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

Late days of 1998. Season alrady over. Minardi M198 - Cosworth V10 under exhibition at the hall entrance of Telecom building in Buenos Aires. And I actuaclly touched it (Iwas working as a consultant there by those days).
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
SDHammer

Post by SDHammer »

When I was a kid I went to the Donnington museum and I just so happen to go on the day they where unvailing a statue of Fangio and Senna.

They had some McLarens a Lotus, a Fangio Merc and Maserati on display .

Who should I stand next to during one of the speeches but none other than Sir Stirling Moss. Wicked.

Insteresting aside after the presentation when I was looking in the cockpit of the 1991 McLaren. The journalist next to me (who clearly wasn't a motor racing journo probably just from the local rag) commented "what's that drink button do"

Quick as a flash I responded with "When the driver needs a drink he presses the button and a cocktail waiter on jet powered rollerskates comes alongside his car and offers him a glass of champagne." (I was a cheeky little git when i was a kid) The journalist opposite (who was a motor racing journo i think) almost wet himself he was laughing so hard.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I went to the NASCAR race at Sears Point, and there was a Toyota F1 car there... pretty random, if you ask me >_> Of course I've never gotten any closer to anything F1-related than that...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I think I mentioned this before...but beat Jos Verstappen at an F1 simulator run before (while sat in a Stewart SF02) :mrgreen:
Also sat in a Renault R25 minus engine before...but that's about it.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Nothing, sadly :cry: I didn't have many opportunities.
baddriving50

Post by baddriving50 »

Not quite random enough, but I saw Mark Blundell win his first career CART race at Portland back in 1997.
TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

Riding in an elevator in a hotel in Perth, Australia, 2007.

I ask the guy standing next to me: "Has anyone ever told you that you look like Mark Webber?"

He smirks and responds: "I am mate."

Best. elevator. ride. ever.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

baddriving50 wrote:Not quite random enough, but I saw Mark Blundell win his first career CART race at Portland back in 1997.

I watched that one on TV.
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

My one true "random" F1 spotting was at Silverstone in 2002. Dad and I parked at a petrol station near the track and spotted a car with a rather loud yellow-and-black livery. We joined the queue for the toilet and had a short chat with the bloke in front of us, who turned out to be a member of the Jordan race team called Phil. The trouble was that I was a bit star-struck and, with Jordan having just qualified in disappointing positions after a problem-filled session, the day's performance was unlikely to be a good conversation topic.

I've also got a few autographs from people at Autosport shows, but I wouldn't class queuing in line for 5-10 minutes in an organised autograph session a random F1 spotting.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

It's not a real F1 spotting but I've seen quite a few totaled cars, it could have been De Cesaris
I like the way Snrub thinks!
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

SDHammer wrote:When I was a kid I went to the Donnington museum and I just so happen to go on the day they where unvailing a statue of Fangio and Senna.

They had some McLarens a Lotus, a Fangio Merc and Maserati on display .

Who should I stand next to during one of the speeches but none other than Sir Stirling Moss. Wicked.

Insteresting aside after the presentation when I was looking in the cockpit of the 1991 McLaren. The journalist next to me (who clearly wasn't a motor racing journo probably just from the local rag) commented "what's that drink button do"

Quick as a flash I responded with "When the driver needs a drink he presses the button and a cocktail waiter on jet powered rollerskates comes alongside his car and offers him a glass of champagne." (I was a cheeky little git when i was a kid) The journalist opposite (who was a motor racing journo i think) almost wet himself he was laughing so hard.

Off-topic, but I once convinced my mum that a "splash and dash" is when the driver has to stop because he needs the toilet.
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

fjackdaw wrote:Off-topic, but I once convinced my mum that a "splash and dash" is when the driver has to stop because he needs the toilet.

I believe that would be a "dash to splash" :roll:
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

Back in the '90s a Ford dearlership near Camberley in Surrey were having a big promotional event with rally driving games and best of all a Benetton F1 car which all the kids (including me) were allowed to jump in and out of and play with. This was when they had the proper United States of Benetton livery. I remember sitting in the cockpit and trying to turn the wheel (no power steering so very heavy!) and playing with the gearstick which was mounted along the right hand edge of the cockpit. It had a polished wooden knob as I recall. I don't think any drivers were there though sadly.

Slightly more weirdly I remember going to see my Dad compete in an indoor kart event and before the race we were wandering around the track which was in an old bus station. There was a small entrance to an adjoining empty warehouse type place and parked on the other side of it was a crashed yellow single seater. I'm not sure if it was an F1 car or F3 or what though sadly.

I was also at the Regents Street F1 parade which was amazing. Saw Martin Brundle do an enormous burnout start right in front of me.

The one I'm most annoyed about though is when my mother and her husband were invited to the Goodwood Festival of Speed as guests of Cartier. Their webpage has pictures of him with Stirling Moss and my mother with Jeremy Clarkson. Plus from their dining table, you can see David Coulthard at the next table. I only live down the road and didn't get an invite! Grrrr!
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

About half an hour ago when I was walking down the street, I saw an old, grey haired man coming out of a house, dressed in slippers, sagging joggers and - lo and behold - a brightly turquoise Leyton House Racing Team jacket (!)

When I realized what I was seeing, I immediately had to smile.
I guess I got fond memories of Capelli VS Prost ...
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Waris

Post by Waris »

Yannick wrote:About half an hour ago when I was walking down the street, I saw an old, grey haired man coming out of a house, dressed in slippers, sagging joggers and - lo and behold - a brightly turquoise Leyton House Racing Team jacket (!)

When I realized what I was seeing, I immediately had to smile.
I guess I got fond memories of Capelli VS Prost ...

Why didn't you walk up to him and talk to him! Why!?!?!
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

I saw Robert Doornbos epic suck in the IRL race at the Chicago round of the IRL last year... >_>
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.