Unpopular F1 opinions

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Salamander

Re: Unpopular F1 opinions

Post by Salamander »

Aerospeed wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:
Normal32 wrote:-Valterri Bottas,Jules Bianchi and Sergio Perez are future F1 Champions. :?:

Bottas is a future champion, and so is Bianchi. I'm not so sure about Perez, after his sadly unconvincing year with McLaren. But when Checo is at his best, he's pretty fast.

I think it had much to do with the crappy MP4-28 - the car couldn't do anything even with Jenson driving the car.

That's not exactly saying much - even as a Button fan, it's impossible to deny that if he is at odds with a car in any way, he won't be getting 100% out of it at all.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Normal32 wrote:-Senna only deserved 1title

Fixed.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

My unpopular opinion is so unpopular that even I dont like it and I refuse to type it out :o
Just For One Day...
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

CoopsII wrote:My unpopular opinion is so unpopular that even I dont like it and I refuse to type it out :o

Intruiging.

The BBC should scrap Coulthard for McNish.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Wallio wrote:

Fixed.

Why? :?
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

FMecha wrote:
Wallio wrote:

Fixed.

Why? :?

1988 - Prost scored more points.
1990 - Took Prost off on the first corner. And regardless, Prost had turned Ferrari into title contenders that year - Senna didn't need to do that with McLaren.
Everything's great.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Salamander wrote:
1988 - Prost scored more points.
1990 - Took Prost off on the first corner. And regardless, Prost had turned Ferrari into title contenders that year - Senna didn't need to do that with McLaren.

All this. Keep in mind as well that Honda was very open about giving Senna better spec motors. There's nothing really wrong with that, Senna was the team's number 1, but it was something else Prost had to deal with. Ron Dennis also cuddled Senna, as most of his time he was on a "race-to-race" contract with McLaren, so RD would walk on eggshells to keep him. Usually this meant Prost got the shaft, just for being loyal!

But what bothers me most about 1990 was that Senna was all open and smug about what he did, and no one gave a damn. It was just as bad as Jerez 1997, but never gets mentioned. Of well, so it goes.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Interesting how everybody lauds Senna above Prost, yet Prost won 4 titles to Senna's three, and Prost outscored Senna in one of the years Senna won the title. But intriguing what might have happened in 1994/1995 if Imola had not happened...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

SgtPepper wrote:The BBC should scrap Coulthard for McNish.

Seconded, because Coulthard says some annoying stuff and it can be biased. He kept on attacking Grosjean after Monaco '13, even in Britain when RJ got caught up in a first-corner incident that wasn't his fault. McNish doesn't bother me at the moment, he sounds like a very good commentator/presenter and I would be pleased if he took over.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Senna would always have been regarded as a better driver than Prost no matter how the 90s had panned out. He was then and he is now.

Irrespective of stats and extremely tedious and tenuous anecdotal evidence, thats just the way it is :D
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:Senna would always have been regarded as a better driver than Prost no matter how the 90s had panned out. He was then and he is now.

Irrespective of stats and extremely tedious and tenuous anecdotal evidence, thats just the way it is :D

Agree to disagree on this? Please?

Well, BBC Radio 5 Live already have McNish. Is this why you suggested him specifically?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Senna would always have been regarded as a better driver than Prost no matter how the 90s had panned out. He was then and he is now.

Agree to disagree on this? Please?

:lol: I wont attempt to change anyones mind.

Because its a fact ;)
Just For One Day...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Much as I'd like to believe that isn't the case, sadly, it is. Senna's less-subtle style made him much easier to respect and admire than Prost, and that's just the way the world is.
Everything's great.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Salamander wrote:

Much as I'd like to believe that isn't the case, sadly, it is. Senna's less-subtle style made him much easier to respect and admire than Prost, and that's just the way the world is.

Exactly. But y'know, Prost has a rep better than alot of drivers and champions, the guys still a legend, always will be. I mean, Prost or Piquet? Prost every time yeah? I could name others but Vettels had a bad enough day as it is ;)
Just For One Day...
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

dr-baker wrote:

Well, BBC Radio 5 Live already have McNish. Is this why you suggested him specifically?

No it was watching his run down of the new 2014 cars, and specifically the 2014 build-up interview with Coulthard, McNish and Edwards that you can still find on iPlayer. As good_Ralf says, Coulthard is extremely biased towards his own personal contacts in the F1 world - this in itself is fair enough, but not if your responsibility is towards the viewing public as a journalist.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Just another reason why the opinion of the unwashed masses is lower than dirt and is to be disregarded.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Klon wrote:

Just another reason why the opinion of the unwashed masses is lower than dirt and is to be disregarded.

:lol: Yeah, damn the majority, who do they think they are?
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

Now, I suspect that this opinion might be one that attracts some interest - whilst Whitmarsh has been rounded upon in light of Ron Dennis getting involved in the racing division of McLaren again, I honestly feel that Whitmarsh did a much better job of managing McLaren than he is given credit for.
Given how poisonous relations were between McLaren and pretty much the rest of the paddock before Ron left in 2009, I half wonder whether at times Ron's decisive - and divisive - management may have hurt the team more than it helped it, and whether Ron's arrival might undo some of the work that Whitmarsh has done in terms of rebuilding McLaren's working relationship with the FIA and the other teams.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
girry

Post by girry »

Not unpopular mario, I too never fully understood the constant Whitmarsh bashing. During his reign, McLaren seemed to do more or less as well as during the entire 2000's; usually fast cars, usually marred by reliability problems or something else. Although I have to admit I didn't perhaps follow their situation as closely as the Brits for obvious reasons.
when you're dead people start listening
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Dennis has a huge legacy and when people talk of major F1 events his name is often part of it and no one will ever persuade me he isnt as legendary as most of his drivers. But he is of a different era, where team principals needed to be much more combative then they do now. He coined the phrase 'the pirahna club' about F1 when welcoming Eddie Jordan in 1991 because thats how he perceived it to be. His F1 was all about fighting fights that arent perhaps as necessary these days; the FIA, Ferrari, Balestre and so on.
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:Dennis has a huge legacy and when people talk of major F1 events his name is often part of it and no one will ever persuade me he isnt as legendary as most of his drivers. But he is of a different era, where team principals needed to be much more combative then they do now. He coined the phrase 'the pirahna club' about F1 when welcoming Eddie Jordan in 1991 because thats how he perceived it to be. His F1 was all about fighting fights that arent perhaps as necessary these days; the FIA, Ferrari, Balestre and so on.

And it is that attitude that I feel may well end up damaging the team - whilst it is admirable that he wants to fight for the best for his team, at the same time he is the sort of figure who seems to be spoiling for unnecessary fights and ends up wasting resources and energy on fights that he really shouldn't be getting involved in. Amongst the very first things that he did when he returned to McLaren was to immediately attack the proposed spending caps, for example - perhaps motivated strongly by the fact that his outfit would be one of those hurt by the proposal - in a way that came across as slightly petulant.

Similarly, you have to consider the fact that his attitude has in many ways damaged the team - it was his refusal to hand over certain powers that saw Newey walk out of the team (along with other designers like Prodromou) and, to a certain extent, it is his attitude that has also managed to alienate several drivers from his team.
Whitmarsh was flawed in his own ways, no doubt, but at the same time he did manage to fix some of the foibles that McLaren had under Ron Dennis, not least to mention finally making a long overdue overhaul of the technical team structure. It is perhaps telling that Ron Dennis has indicated that he still wants to keep Whitmarsh onboard in a managerial and technical capacity, so evidently he still sees some value in him.

I'd agree with the fact that Ron Dennis might have a formidable history, but that at the same time that comes with the issue that Ron Dennis's mentality is still of that past. He was the sort of figure that McLaren needed in the past, but I am not so sure that he is the figure that they need now that they face a rather different future - perhaps one of the things that Ron Dennis has been wise to do is to give Boullier a strong role in the running of the team, since I feel that he is the sort of figure that is closer to what they need in terms of attitude and managerial style.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Whitmarsh's problem is he was too "Anti-Ronspeak". You went from someone who was a 10 on the asshat scale to someone who was a -45 and wanted to be everyone's buddy. McLaren needed something in the middle.

Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

I prefer the sounds of the new engines to the V8's. Whilst the V8 engine was thunderously loud it was just a flat wailing shriek, whilst the Turbos make a much more pleasant noise. Being able to hear the crowd and tire lock ups are cool too.
Message me on Discord.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

I enjoy all different styles of engine noises. The best thing would be having different sounds at the same time, though.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

SgtPepper wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

No it was watching his run down of the new 2014 cars, and specifically the 2014 build-up interview with Coulthard, McNish and Edwards that you can still find on iPlayer. As good_Ralf says, Coulthard is extremely biased towards his own personal contacts in the F1 world - this in itself is fair enough, but not if your responsibility is towards the viewing public as a journalist.

Excluding the (potential) favouritism towards di Resta, give me examples of Coulthard's bias please?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

watka wrote:Excluding the (potential) favouritism towards di Resta, give me examples of Coulthard's bias please?

He did have some really very silly moments defending di Resta last year when he had that error-prone patch, which even as someone who quite liked/defended di Resta I just found ridiculous. I also cannot recall any particular critique of Grosjean that good_Ralf points out, and I'd be interested to see what he had to say and when.

The bias is sometimes blatant, sometimes not, so I'll link comparative articles for perspective. And for the record before the usual uproar/conflict, this is not even slightly approaching an anti-Red Bull post, and would be relevant irrespective of the teams or drivers he had connections to, my issue is with Coulthard's legitimacy as a correspondent. It has absolutely nothing to do with the events considered, this concerns the contrasting ways in which the issues are framed by different journalists. I use these examples not because of my own personal feelings towards them, but because they are quite clear cut illustrations of the times Coulthard's opinions have very clearly differed from those of his peers. I also predominantly use text examples as it would be something of a herculean effort to sift through every minute of the BBC coverage for the last few years of F1.

Suzuka 2013

Do I think that Red Bull would deliberately compromise Mark's strategy to allow Sebastian to win? No, I don't.

The question marks over the strategy are a nice news story for those who want to stir the pot

You can always argue it any way you want to suit the defence, but Mark is a bit heavier and sometimes hasn't been able to get the weight distribution just so. Seb just makes the tyres last longer. Those are the facts.

This is quite a clear accusation that anyone who questions the strategy are merely trying to 'stir the pot' (also linking Benson directly here).

Compare this to Ted Kravitz's analysis;

The question mark is the second stop...the first stint he had to pit because his tyres were going off, but look at this second stint here...it was only a 13 lap stint [reads lap times] so they were going pretty well, and he was fairly well pulling away or keeping the gap to Sebastian Vettel, so that's the question mark that I've got, it's the second stop. Did he really really need to make that second stop? Or could he, as he said to Natalie, have carried on.

The analysis there of the lap times does suggest he was called in a little early for that second stop.

Also compare Gary Anderson's analysis, who was the technical analyist for the BBC at the time, and presumably have talked to Coulthard at some point after the race;

The early stop, they said, was because he had "run out of tyres", as Red Bull team principal Christian Horner put it.

But in my view Webber was not really struggling performance-wise at that point.

OK, he had lost 0.4 seconds to leader Romain Grosjean's Lotus on lap 10, but his lap time was basically the same as he had done on lap eight, which does not suggest his tyres had gone.

The problem for Webber was that he only did 14 laps on his next set of tyres. Red Bull committed to a three-stop strategy before they had explored how far that second set of tyres would go. Webber could have run competitively quite a few laps longer than that.

It's unfortunate - and unusual - that they picked to do the worst strategy with the lead car. That's strange because normally the lead car gets the priority - if there's a better choice, the lead car would get it.

He openly questions the strategy here, but he also goes on to say;

Whatever the ins and outs of the strategy, Vettel's performance was what you expect of a soon-to-be four-time world champion.

He drives the car well, he does the job he needs to, he doesn't make mistakes, he's on the limit all the time. We almost have to stop talking about Vettel and Red Bull because if he doesn't win, he's done a lesser job than he should.

With a bit of help from his team, he got past the two cars in front of him and won the race. Throughout his career he has proved he is able to win from behind or from the front.

This contrasts starkly with Coulthard. Anderson simply uses the information avaliable to him, but still admires Vettel's performance, whereas Coulthard openly attempts to discredit a fellow writer within his own organisation, and by proxy all those associated with the same argument.

Malaysia 2013

He is actually marginally more balanced in this article, as there was very little recourse for defence as the move disobeyed a definitive instruction, but was also not technically illegal.

On the question of whether the authority of Christian Horner, the Red Bull team principal, is undermined by this incident between Sebastian and Mark, just remember that McLaren found that they could not manage Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton after one year, so Alonso left

i.e 'other drivers do it too'.

Rewind to Hockenheim in 2010, when Felipe Massa was given instructions to move over for Alonso, I came out then and said that this had always been part of the sport and that we had been lying to our fans by pretending that it did not happen

It is an entirely internal matter, just as it was when Ferrari gave team orders.

i.e 'noone complains when Ferrari does it.'

Team orders are allowed, and in this instance the order was given.

i.e nothing technically illegal done.

Fundamentally, this issue has been dealt with.

i.e 'everyone should just get over it.'

These are all perfectly legitimate points, I don't deny that for an instant (exluding the final one). However, it utterly lacks the balance I feel necessary if you consider Coulthard is supposedly a representative for those on the outside of the F1 world, such as ourselves. Compare this to Brundle's interpretations at the time;

You could add in Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna - all the great champions were selfish winning machines and they really didn't care too much about their reputations in that respect. I think there is a sporting line which you don't cross - it is honour amongst thieves in many respects, but then I didn't win three World Championships and Sebastian Vettel already has at 25-years-old.

"You have two very competitive drivers who do not want to yield - Mark moving towards the end of his career and wants some success, Vettel has three Championships in the bag and wants to blitz every record there is and his job is to win, not to be popular.

Exactly the same points Coulthard makes, even using the same example within the article. However this recognises lines of what is considered 'sporting' or not, whereas Coulthard merely focusses on the technical legality of the move, before shifting focus elsewhere. There's also a very nice summary by Kravitz embedded in the page too.

You can also compare Brundle's 2012 summary with Coulthard's. There are also just general articles that sounds like they have come directly for the Red Bull marketing department, here, here, and one even labelled as such here. Also, if you check out the BBC build up to the season if it's still on iPlayer, when Red Bull were still predicted to have massive reliability issues, McNish goes on to point out that it's a joint issue between Newey's packaging, and engine issues, whereas Coulthard effectively goes on to blame all potential future reliability issues purely on Renault.

Now, there is nothing wrong with Coulthard having ties and connections with particular teams or drivers, in fact this is expected of a former driver. It's what gives Coulthard an edge over a more external figure in his role, and as we've seen with Brundle, having a former driver in a commentating role can add great depth of analysis, and excellent perspective that otherwise will not have been seen. I'm not comparing Coulthard to Brundle here, Brundle is clearly far more experienced and practically an institution at this point, and it would be unrealistic to expect Coulthard to match that level of reporting skill. But it could also be argued that Brundle perhaps also had roots that did not go as deep within the F1 world as Coulthard's; with the former having flitted between a variety of teams, and the latter having both a long history at Mclaren, and later helping to develop Red Bull while they were still a fledgling team (now hired as a consultant.) However the question is to how appropriate his remaining at a team after having been hired in the media side of the sport is.

My issue is that for those unable to afford Sky (and for the sake of argument stream it either), and also for those who simply don't have the time to follow F1 on a regular basis, and with the loss of Gary Anderson, independent analysis is no longer just necessary, but increasingly priceless. Coulthard is now one of precious few connections that many of the viewing public have to the ever closeted, complex and private F1 world. I consider those involved in the media, even a sport, to have a basic duty of responsibility to consider those who do not have the privilege of direct and personal connections to to those in positions of authority. And in my opinion when he endeavours to merely preserve and protect the reputations of whomever he is personally affiliated to within the sport, it is a blatant abuse of that trust, utterly shameless and desperately unprofessional.

AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

I miss the old V8 engines
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Thanks SgtPepper for putting that together. I think it just goes to show how much attention I pay to the pre- and post-race analysis these days. I'm not usually back from church to watch the build up and I don't often watch the analysis afterwards unless they'll be interviews with new drivers or drivers that usually don't do so well.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

watka wrote:Thanks SgtPepper for putting that together. I think it just goes to show how much attention I pay to the pre- and post-race analysis these days. I'm not usually back from church to watch the build up and I don't often watch the analysis afterwards unless they'll be interviews with new drivers or drivers that usually don't do so well.

It was my pleasure, I've always been really interested in the media coverage of things (usually in politics though as part of my degree) and how it consequently affects the ever swaying public opinions of issues - something I also outline here. I find Coulthard very frustrating because he used to be one of my favourite personalities in the paddock, down to earth with a very good sense of humour, and I still think he is absolutely brilliant in peices like this and this. He clearly has considerable skill as a journalist, with a relatively open persona, an ability to be very clear and concise about other teams he's not personally invested in, and he's very adept at translating complex technical and personal information to the audience (not to forget those dulcet Scottish tones). But the fact he is also a paid consultant for a team (one of the most controversial and powerful in the sport remember), and has extremely close ties to one of the other powerhouses in the sport as well, to me completely compromises his legitimacy as a vessel for any sort of openess and honesty.

If the BBC were to hire a former politician as a news anchor, who then remained as a paid consultant for that party and merely espoused political rhetoric in support of his viewpoint and vested interests, there would be uproar and they would be sacked immediately, so why can we not expect the same of our reporters in what we all know is a very politicised sport? It may be more acceptable on Sky, which is privately run and maintains a very specific ideological standpoint, but the BBC has always been based upon the extremely noble ideal of expelling partisanship. Representation of the opinions of those in the viewing public that may critique or disagree with his own personal interests is intrinsic to this notion, and Coulthard fails this measure spectacularly. Perhaps because McNish did not have the illustrious career Coulthard did he will always be, by default, more appropriate for such a prominent role (and we still get to keep dulcet Scottish tones), but for now my distaste and dissapointment with Coulthard remains resolute.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:Thanks SgtPepper for putting that together. I think it just goes to show how much attention I pay to the pre- and post-race analysis these days. I'm not usually back from church to watch the build up and I don't often watch the analysis afterwards unless they'll be interviews with new drivers or drivers that usually don't do so well.

Ahh, so I'm not the only person on here that misses a lot of the pre-race build-up because of church?! I'm often having to record on a Sky Plus box and watching the race on slight delay because I want to watch the grid walk. It's annoying when I'm at uni, where my only access to Sky is via Sky Go and I cannot record the race...
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

AxelP800 wrote:I miss the old V8 engines

Why? The new engines are brilliant. I love being able to actually hear the team radio properly, the crowd noise and the sound of lock ups.

I will say this though (and this isn't aimed at anyone on the forum, rather the casual fans on social media): the whole debate on the sound of the engines is completely pointless. It is what it is. Quoth the raven: deal with it. I can't believe people can be so petty as to stop watching F1 because of such minor details as engine sound.

Yes, I'm being elitist. :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

East Londoner wrote:

Why? The new engines are brilliant. I love being able to actually hear the team radio properly, the crowd noise and the sound of lock ups.

I will say this though (and this isn't aimed at anyone on the forum, rather the casual fans on social media): the whole debate on the sound of the engines is completely pointless. It is what it is. Quoth the raven: deal with it. I can't believe people can be so petty as to stop watching F1 because of such minor details as engine sound.

The thing is, very casual F1 fans always find something to complian about when they make big rule changes. True F1 fans in my opinion are ones who accept change. Many of the people who watch F1 right now are ones who say, "Oh, they should be running V10s and V12s" or "The new sound isn't a V10" or "The new sound sucks, F1 is over" and all they do is spark arguments. Right now, F1 fans are going through March Madness. It doesn't impress me one bit.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

go_Rubens wrote:
East Londoner wrote:

The thing is, very casual F1 fans always find something to complian about when they make big rule changes. True F1 fans in my opinion are ones who accept change. Many of the people who watch F1 right now are ones who say, "Oh, they should be running V10s and V12s" or "The new sound isn't a V10" or "The new sound sucks, F1 is over" and all they do is spark arguments. Right now, F1 fans are going through March Madness. It doesn't impress me one bit.

Yes I didn't mind the radical changes in 2009 and i think these new engines will sound good by mid season. Change is needed to drive F1 forward and if fans can accept it then they should just go
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

-*:-
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Just to clarify, I like the new engine, rules and some radical changes but the feeling of a miss for V8 is still inside me ;)
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

I think there's an amount of boffinery limiting the noise the engines make. I heard something about the teams using a lower gear ratio to last longer, being well under the rev limits as a result. I don't know if that's true or not, though.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

SgtPepper wrote:

It was my pleasure, I've always been really interested in the media coverage of things (usually in politics though as part of my degree) and how it consequently affects the ever swaying public opinions of issues - something I also outline here. I find Coulthard very frustrating because he used to be one of my favourite personalities in the paddock, down to earth with a very good sense of humour, and I still think he is absolutely brilliant in peices like this and this. He clearly has considerable skill as a journalist, with a relatively open persona, an ability to be very clear and concise about other teams he's not personally invested in, and he's very adept at translating complex technical and personal information to the audience (not to forget those dulcet Scottish tones). But the fact he is also a paid consultant for a team (one of the most controversial and powerful in the sport remember), and has extremely close ties to one of the other powerhouses in the sport as well, to me completely compromises his legitimacy as a vessel for any sort of openess and honesty.

If the BBC were to hire a former politician as a news anchor, who then remained as a paid consultant for that party and merely espoused political rhetoric in support of his viewpoint and vested interests, there would be uproar and they would be sacked immediately, so why can we not expect the same of our reporters in what we all know is a very politicised sport? It may be more acceptable on Sky, which is privately run and maintains a very specific ideological standpoint, but the BBC has always been based upon the extremely noble ideal of expelling partisanship. Representation of the opinions of those in the viewing public that may critique or disagree with his own personal interests is intrinsic to this notion, and Coulthard fails this measure spectacularly. Perhaps because McNish did not have the illustrious career Coulthard did he will always be, by default, more appropriate for such a prominent role (and we still get to keep dulcet Scottish tones), but for now my distaste and dissapointment with Coulthard remains resolute.

I agree with what you say above about the BBC, but I'm going to play a bit of devil's advocate now. Are you therefore suggesting that James Hunt should have been sacked on the spot for some of things he said? Ignore the swearing for the moment, but he was always on at Riccardo Patrese, whom he thought (incorrectly) was responsible for Ronnie Peterson's death.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

watka wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:

I agree with what you say above about the BBC, but I'm going to play a bit of devil's advocate now. Are you therefore suggesting that James Hunt should have been sacked on the spot for some of things he said? Ignore the swearing for the moment, but he was always on at Riccardo Patrese, whom he thought (incorrectly) was responsible for Ronnie Peterson's death.

No, because although that was certainly lacking a degree of professionalism, it was not a paid contract reportedly worth £4m. If Hunt actually had a contract with a rival team to critique Patrese, absolutely - but that is a personal grudge that he had with him. Coulthard is effectively a bought and paid for PR operative at the heart of prominent media outlet, masquerading under the guise of an ' independant journalist' to abuse the respect that affords, and manipulate the viewing public to lean more towards his own contractually bound personal interests.

mario

Post by mario »

Aerospeed wrote:I think there's an amount of boffinery limiting the noise the engines make. I heard something about the teams using a lower gear ratio to last longer, being well under the rev limits as a result. I don't know if that's true or not, though.

At the moment it is clear that, due to the fuel flow restrictions, the teams are really not revving the engines beyond 13,000rpm, and most of the time usually below 12,000rpm (I recall a comment from Renault last year where they indicated that they didn't expect any of the engines to rev to much more than 12,000rpm due to increasing frictional losses at high revs, a prediction that seems to be largely true).
Couple that to reasonably long gearing ratios, partially because they have to use fixed gear ratios for all tracks and partially because it helps improve the driveability of the cars, and you are in a situation where the engines are usually under low load and at relatively low rpm.

The biggest factor, though, is the use of the energy recovery systems in the exhausts - that will be significantly reducing the energy of the exhaust gases, which in turn will be reducing the sound levels. There is also, I understand, an element of human perception too - the shift in pitch of the engine note, which is now much lower, accentuates the effect and makes it seem that the engine note is quieter than it actually is (it seems that our ears are more sensitive to high pitched sounds rather than lower pitched sounds).
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

I wish 1 car F1 teams were still allowed.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.