The Totally Ripper/Bonza V8 Supercar Thread.

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Totally Ripper/Bonza V8 Supercar Thread.

Post by watka »

I'm another one in as a Volvo fan! Nice to see another marque mixing it with the big 2! I also appreciate how the V8 Supercar videos rarely seem to get taken down off of Youtube.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

watka wrote:I'm another one in as a Volvo fan! Nice to see another marque mixing it with the big 2!

Big 2? Holden and who? :P

It's good to see Volvo doing well, but being the pessimistic bastard I am, I don't see them doing as well in Tasmania, on the basis that GRM have traditionally built cars that are brilliant on street circuits, but less so on permanent tracks.

That said, I'm perfectly happy with being proved wrong :P
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
nome66

Post by nome66 »

the way that young man scott put down the power at the final hairpin is something i see translating into some interesting maneuvers at Symmons.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I'll sum up today in one word: CARUSOP1LOL.

Seriously, nobody's had an answer to the guy at any point today. Meanwhile, Scotty Mac continues to be a hero for Volvo :D
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Wizzie wrote:I'll sum up today in one word: CARUSOP1LOL.

Seriously, nobody's had an answer to the guy at any point today. Meanwhile, Scotty Mac continues to be a hero for Volvo :D

Why can't Caruso run in the beyondblue livery all year. It is by far and away the best V8 livery I think I've ever seen. And a very important and worthy cause as well.

BTW apart from Caruso the best performance of the day has to be Dahlgren qualifying 11th.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
the Masked Lapwing

R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
the Masked Lapwing

Things that annoy me about V8 Supercars at the moment:

1. The stewarding - Inconsistent, as usual. Whincup punts off Caruso at Adelaide, cops a points penalty. Ingall punts off Pye, cops a drive through and loses a podium. And the stewards are the same at every meeting, so they don't have that excuse.
2. The safety car rules - It's a miracle we only had one incident off the restart at Symmons Plains, the shitstorm that were the restarts today just demonstrated why they're ridiculous.
3. The lack of podiums after race 1 - We have Wood scoring his first podium, and he can't celebrate because they don't have one. And it's not like they're pressed for time - there's an hour and a half until race 2.
4. The coverage - V8s relegated to not the second channel, but the third, because apparently the horse racing and AFL are more important.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I don't think anything else can more aptly sum up race 2 :lol:
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Having decided to switch my former-but-not-all-that-strong allegiance from Holden to the Erebus Mercs the moment I saw and (better still) heard them at the Eastern Creek test day last year, all I can say is, in Aussie Grit fashion:

"Yes! Yes yes yes yes yes! Yeeeeeeesssssssssssssssss!"

What a drive from Holdsworth. Great pass on Coulthard towards the end. Whatever you think of Betty Klimenko, the one thing you can't deny is that she simply loves her racing. If we could have more team owners like that instead of people who just see it as a business venture to make money.

And what a great day for the likes of Dale Wood and even David Wall in the second race. Not to forget that it could well have been Volvo celebrating its first win instead of Erebus had Scott McLaughlin kept going in race two. What a day for the underdogs! Can't Triple 888 have more days when they're stuck battling in the lower teens?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

eytl wrote:And what a great day for the likes of Dale Wood and even David Wall in the second race. Not to forget that it could well have been Volvo celebrating its first win instead of Erebus had Scott McLaughlin kept going in race two. What a day for the underdogs! Can't Triple 888 have more days when they're stuck battling in the lower teens?

I still think Ingall winning race 1 would have trumped the lot of that if the stewards had just done what they usually do and give him a points penalty post-race instead of the DTP
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

And the Enforcer's got himself another penalty

Rumours that Jason Bargwanna is drunk with power since he joined the stewards appear to be truthful. :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Scotty Mac's on pole for race 3 at Pukekohe! :mrgreen:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

East Londoner wrote:Scotty Mac's on pole for race 3 at Pukekohe! :mrgreen:

Someone's been giving it the jandal :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Scotty Mac's on pole for race 3 at Pukekohe! :mrgreen:

Someone's been giving it the jandal :P

Yeah, van Gisbergen. :P :D
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Can we rename this to the Scott McLaughlin V8 SuperJandal thread already? :P
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Wizzie wrote:Can we rename this to the Scott McLaughlin V8 SuperJandal thread already? :P

I personally think it should be the David Thexton V8 Supercar thread, but this is also very much acceptable :P
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

And Winter does it again :)
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

AxelP800 wrote:And Winter does it again :)

It's Frosty, get it right! :P

Terrible weekend for Lowndes, all things considered. I just hope we don't get a JDUBWINSLOL run starting from the next round onwards.
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

A few of us were having a conversation in the F1R Chat, when the topic of V8 Supercar enduro co-drivers came up. I proposed the following avatar bet...

Myself, in the F1 Rejects Mibbit chat wrote:I've had an idea for a sort-of avatar bet - if Paul Morris manages to somehow win an enduro, we all have to have a picture of him as our avatar for a month

Not everyone in the forums will be involved in this bet, you'll have to agree to take the bet on. To make it even more interesting, the avatars will be chosen by other participants in this bet.
This is a cool spot.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

MinardiFan95 wrote:A few of us were having a conversation in the F1R Chat, when the topic of V8 Supercar enduro co-drivers came up. I proposed the following avatar bet...

Myself, in the F1 Rejects Mibbit chat wrote:I've had an idea for a sort-of avatar bet - if Paul Morris manages to somehow win an enduro, we all have to have a picture of him as our avatar for a month

Not everyone in the forums will be involved in this bet, you'll have to agree to take the bet on. To make it even more interesting, the avatars will be chosen by other participants in this bet.

Hey, I'm up for this. Oh and as an added clause, we should make it two months if the enduro happens to be Bathurst :P
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

MinardiFan95 wrote:A few of us were having a conversation in the F1R Chat, when the topic of V8 Supercar enduro co-drivers came up. I proposed the following avatar bet...

Sure, why not. Count me in.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
RonDenisDeletraz

I'm in
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I'm definitely in. :P
the Masked Lapwing

I'm up for it :mrgreen:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

I'm up for it :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
simonracer

Post by simonracer »

I'm up for it.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Whether it's the 2015 GRM Volvo or not is entirely up for debate :P
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

Wizzie wrote:Whether it's the 2015 GRM Volvo or not is entirely up for debate :P

It's still going to explode the same way, and it still will be Junior Fabricator Scotty Mac's fault. :P
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Wizzie wrote:

Hey, I'm up for this. Oh and as an added clause, we should make it two months if the enduro happens to be Bathurst :P

The only way I'd sign up for this is if I could use a pic of The Dude in the Big Kev-mobile. I confess that that combo of yellow and orange remains one of my favourite V8 liveries of all time.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

So that's now 10 different winners in V8 Supercars already this year.

What on earth's happened to Tander this season? I don't remember him being this rubbish? Has had a fair helping of bad luck or something?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

nome66

Post by nome66 »

...like the indycar/formula e team? or some different one i haven't heard of? (i predict the latter)

(....latter confirmed)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The end is nigh for V8 engines?

The bogans are up in arms about it on Facebook. :P
nome66

Post by nome66 »

they are trying to ween us back into the ATCC.
i don't think that's a bad thing.
they kind of went all nascar by limiting the formula and hypercharging the marketing money.

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Huffy in V8s in the near future?

Looks like he's had enough of WTCC and the shitbox Lada he's lumbered with.
RonDenisDeletraz

Ingall and Wood colliding on the main straight, that almost ended up like the Mike Imrie crash from way back.

In other news, Nissan actually have pace for once

the Masked Lapwing

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:In other news, Nissan actually have pace for once

Ruined by Caruso doing his best impression of Maldonado. Seriously, what did hi think was going to happen? That was one of the dumbest moves I've seen in a while.
And he handed to win to Whincup as a result. What a freaking joke.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
RonDenisDeletraz

Its sad that Caruso forgot to use his brain, but I would prefer Whincup to Winterbottom any day. Meanwhile the Dunlup Series was so full of fail it was epic