Ponderbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Re: Ponderbox

Post by WeirdKerr »

Roundels!!!...

What do we want?

Roundels!!!...

When do we want them?

Now!!!!

Where Do we want them

On the side of the cockpit .....

ok you get the idea... bring back roundels....
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Does anyone else here think that it's entirely possible that Red Bull won't escape Q1 in the Australian Grand Prix, and could we see the 107% rule enforced by one of the smaller teams?
mario

Post by mario »

andrew2209 wrote:Does anyone else here think that it's entirely possible that Red Bull won't escape Q1 in the Australian Grand Prix, and could we see the 107% rule enforced by one of the smaller teams?

The first point is plausible if Renault are still struggling in Australia and Red Bull are forced to run the car with the energy recovery systems in a reduced power mode - however, they have shown occasional flashes of strong pace in Bahrain that suggests they could be much closer to the front than we currently think. If they can turn the boost up for a single lap in qualifying, then I think that they will be safely through - however, that is by no means assured and an inability to run may well mean at least one car misses the cut.

As to the latter question, I think that it would depend by how far a team missed the cut by. If we assume that the teams are about a second a lap slower in qualifying trim than in 2013, then the front runners will probably be setting times around the 1m28.5s mark, which means a cut off time of about 1m34.7s.
If a driver was only just outside that mark, I could see the stewards being a little lenient and allowing them to start the race (especially if their practise times are fairly good), as I can't imagine that anybody would want to see too many cars being disqualified from the first race.
However, the stewards at the Australian GP have tended to be a bit stricter on the 107% rule than at other circuits, so perhaps we might see the 107% rule enforced more strictly.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

It would be funny if a certain driver missed out after failing to qualify.... and gets reject of the race as a result :lol:
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

WeirdKerr wrote:It would be funny if a certain driver missed out after failing to qualify.... and gets reject of the race as a result :lol:

You mean someone emulating Jody Scheckter's 1980 season with barely any points and a DNQ in the year following his championship success?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

dr-baker wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:It would be funny if a certain driver missed out after failing to qualify.... and gets reject of the race as a result :lol:

You mean someone emulating Jody Scheckter's 1980 season with barely any points and a DNQ in the year following his championship success?

And then retired from F1 afterwards (NOT that I'm wishing that on the certain driver)?
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Would anyone else like to see a driver ignore the tyre management, ignore the team, and just drive as fast as they can for as long as they can and hope for the best?
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

andrew2209 wrote:Does anyone else here think that it's entirely possible that Red Bull won't escape Q1 in the Australian Grand Prix, and could we see the 107% rule enforced by one of the smaller teams?

No because from testing evidence when the RBR hasn't been breaking down it's had some good speed so I wouldn't put any money on that one
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Would anyone else like to see a driver ignore the tyre management, ignore the team, and just drive as fast as they can for as long as they can and hope for the best?

I would, for it would give me the sadistic joy of calling him an idiot for the next 19 months. :lol:
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Would anyone else like to see a driver ignore the tyre management, ignore the team, and just drive as fast as they can for as long as they can and hope for the best?

Didn't Di Resta kind of do that in Canada last year with that really long stint on the hard tyres? Not ignore the team exactly, but more just say he was fine staying out.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
mario

Post by mario »

SgtPepper wrote:

Didn't Di Resta kind of do that in Canada last year with that really long stint on the hard tyres? Not ignore the team exactly, but more just say he was fine staying out.

That strategy was adopted during the course of the race by the team since di Resta's lap times were so consistent, which saw them adjusting their strategy accordingly. They eventually told di Resta to simply stay out on track until he felt that the rear tyres were losing too much grip, a strategy that he agreed to and they promptly adopted for the rest of the race, so it was still arranged in conjunction with the team (just on the fly rather than a pre-planned strategy).
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

mario wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:

That strategy was adopted during the course of the race by the team since di Resta's lap times were so consistent, which saw them adjusting their strategy accordingly. They eventually told di Resta to simply stay out on track until he felt that the rear tyres were losing too much grip, a strategy that he agreed to and they promptly adopted for the rest of the race, so it was still arranged in conjunction with the team (just on the fly rather than a pre-planned strategy).

Ah ok, thanks for the clarifcation.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Klon wrote:

I would, for it would give me the sadistic joy of calling him an idiot for the next 19 months. :lol:

I believe that this is known as the Kimi Raikkonen approach (although half the time its actually worked for him).
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

During the off season it always goes pretty quiet on here but is it just me or has this off-season been even quieter than the norm? Will things pick up now we're about to kick things off in Oz?
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:During the off season it always goes pretty quiet on here but is it just me or has this off-season been even quieter than the norm? Will things pick up now we're about to kick things off in Oz?

I too agree. It is been quieter. I think it is due to two reasons: People post less in the Paul Stoddart forum and those who do, do it less frequently than in past years. The second reason is the recent existence of threads unrelated to F1 in the Eric van de Poele that prevent more off-topicness that characterized the off-season here on our forum.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
mario

Post by mario »

DanielPT wrote:
CoopsII wrote:During the off season it always goes pretty quiet on here but is it just me or has this off-season been even quieter than the norm? Will things pick up now we're about to kick things off in Oz?

I too agree. It is been quieter. I think it is due to two reasons: People post less in the Paul Stoddart forum and those who do, do it less frequently than in past years. The second reason is the recent existence of threads unrelated to F1 in the Eric van de Poele that prevent more off-topicness that characterized the off-season here on our forum.

Added to that, although the driver market was quite active (with only Mercedes and Marussia keeping the same line up for 2014), most of the driver moves were settled by the end of the 2013 season, so there was less to discuss during the off season. The relative brevity of the pre-season testing phase means that, although quite a few questions were thrown up by the results, left relatively little to work with and therefore meant that conversations about the testing data tended to run out of puff pretty quickly - not helped by the data not always being available either (for example, there appear to have been some mysterious gaps in the timing data for some teams, especially Ferrari).

In fact, most of the major changes have been choreographed a long way in advance, leaving less to discuss than normal, and the off season itself is shorter than usual now that the calendar runs from mid March to late November. DanielPT is also right that there are also a lot more off season distractions too in the EvdP and PMM forums, so a certain extent some of the extravagances of the past have been diverted elsewhere.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

mario wrote: DanielPT is also right that there are also a lot more off season distractions too in the EvdP and PMM forums, so a certain extent some of the extravagances of the past have been diverted elsewhere.

On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there :lol:
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
mario wrote: DanielPT is also right that there are also a lot more off season distractions too in the EvdP and PMM forums, so a certain extent some of the extravagances of the past have been diverted elsewhere.

On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there :lol:

I only scrap the surface of that forum to be fair. The heavy underground stuff is not for me! :lol:
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

DanielPT wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

I only scrap the surface of that forum to be fair. The heavy underground stuff is not for me! :lol:

Wise people. That stuff is worse than a heroin addiction. I can't get the syringe out of my arm...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Given what we heard (literally) at the GP today, I thought the engines sounded quite loud and good in my opinion. But I heard that the drivers were switching their gears at only 12,000 rpm - when the maximum was 15,000. Could we see gear changes around there in the future, near or far?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Benetton wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:Watch this and ponder (only 1 minute in length):
Published 5 jan 2014
No one should pay for a mistake with their life. When we drive, we share the road with others, so the speed we choose to travel at needs to leave room for any potential error.
http://youtu.be/bvLaTupw-hk
The most important thing to remember in traffic is that you yourself are not a danger but everyone else is! With that in mind I feel that the most important thing is not the speed (it is the 2nd most important) but rather the distances between vehicles and "situational awareness" (especially in countryside traffic). I always try to read the traffic ahead and keep a safe distance to every car (front, sides, behind).

Also, never gamble on anything! I only do overtakes and these kinds of drive out of triangle junctions if I am 100 % certain that I will not cause any danger to any party at that moment. This ad is the perfect example of both parties doing wrong, the driver on the main road should've eased of a bit once he saw a sign that a junction was coming (paying special attention to that) and the guy wanting to come into the main lane should have waited since he hesitated about the other vehicles speed on the main road!

dr-baker wrote:When I watched it, that is exactly what I thought. Nobody's perfect. You should be able to learn from mistakes every time you do anything, and try to apply what you learn to future situations...
Benetton wrote: I always try to read the traffic ahead and keep a safe distance to every car
Often it doesn't matter how many precautions you take, or how careful you are, you never know what situation you could find yourself in at any given point.

About four-five years ago I got hit from behind while on my bike (really old Yama 900), at where the circled car is. I was standing still, for I was heading right and there was a lot of traffic coming from the left (arrow).
All of a sudden a mini-van came from where the x is marked and drove right into the back of me, pushing me forward into the oncoming traffic from the left.
He claimed he didn't see me. I thought for sure my insurance company would scrap my bike, but they actually fixed it right up. Just took a lot longer than I would have liked.
Had to call a tow truck for that one:
ImageImage

And around 6 months before that, I got hit by a snowplowing wheel loader:

I was going in the direction of the arrow, and there was this aerial work platform situated at the x. The wheel loader came from the opposite direction and instead of stopping he
went by the platform and drove right into my front left door, and because he was so much heavier than I was he pushed my car into a parked truck on the righthand side.
So my car's left side was smashed by the loader and the right side got smashed by the parked truck. I was sort of wedged in between the two.
My speed was only ~45km/h, and the loader went maybe ~30-35km/h. I consider that lucky, had we hit each other while both were traveling even just ~50-60, I would probably
have been severely injured.
ImageImage
ImageImage

The edge of his steel plow struck right above the driver side window. I'm quite happy it didn't go through the window.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Because I accused him of running into me, and he vice versa, it took 14 months (!) and three appeals until I saw any kind of insurance money. But I won in the end, he lost. :twisted:

Anyone wants to share their smashes/crashes? Where no one got hurt, that is.
I'm sure most of us have also been in near-crashes, why just today I had to stamp on the brakes in order to avoid a lunatic who veered right into my path.
-*:-
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Well, my mum managed to get ran into from the rear twice in three weeks, both times by drivers who weren't paying attention that much...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

My mum got rear ended at some traffic lights once… just 2 weeks after getting her new car. Then a few months later, she crashed into a lamppost in the Tesco Metro car park. The bonnet doesn't shut or open properly as a result.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

My mom actually was rear ended once, but it was in an almost indestructable 1976 Volvo. The car that crashed into her was bent beyond repair and the Volvo held up splendidly and drove away. If there is one thing I know about road accidents and most American drivers despite not legally allowed to get a license yet, it's that no matter what you try to do to improve roads and whatnot, you can't fix stupid.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

So...many...double-entendres...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I've been rear-ended twice in accidents, both times by females, both times at roundabouts.

On a separate topic, between listening to Sky and the BBC, I'm sure I've heard Kvyat's name pronounced two way - one similar to Caveat, the other similar to Fiat. Which is more correct?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

The second, I'd say. Although what we really need is a Russian to confirm it. Solarcold! Where are you?

Be grateful, though, that of all the Slavic names we've had in F1 - Enge, Kubica, Petrov and now Kvyat (or Kwjat as he's known on RTL), none of them have had the car crash of consonants that Slavic languages are capable of producing. Krzysztof Holowczyc, on the other hand, might have given the commentators a bit more trouble. And I'm sure there was another Polish driver in the lower formulae that'd have given Murray Walker a coronary.

And after some research, I'm fairly sure I'm thinking of Patryk Szczerbynski, who was racing in the Porsche SUpercup last year.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

dinizintheoven wrote:Krzysztof Holowczyc, on the other hand, might have given the commentators a bit more trouble.

I have actually asked a Polish friend of mine about this chap in the past. I understand the correct pronunciation is Kris-tof Haw-ov-chi-ch. Slavic names...kurwa....
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:So...many...double-entendres...

Im aroused.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:

Im aroused.

Need to penetrate through the puns for the truth to becum clear.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

Im aroused.

:o I thought better of you Dr. Been drinking?
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Im aroused.

If you mean drinking milk and lemonade (albeit not together at the same time...), then yes. Yes, I have! ;) :P
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dr-baker wrote:
CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Need to penetrate through the puns for the truth to becum clear.

If you mean drinking milk and lemonade (albeit not together at the same time...), then yes. Yes, I have! ;) :P

You are definitely getting a bit naughty there, dr-baker! :)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote:You are definitely getting a bit naughty there, dr-baker! :)

My repertoire of jokes is not much better. :oops:
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Biscione wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:Krzysztof Holowczyc, on the other hand, might have given the commentators a bit more trouble.

I have actually asked a Polish friend of mine about this chap in the past. I understand the correct pronunciation is Kris-tof Haw-ov-chi-ch. Slavic names...kurwa....

Returning from Poland just a few months ago, I believe it should be pronounced Kzheh - shtoff Howov - tcheh - tss. The "zh" should be pronounced like the "s" in "treasure". Alternatively, we could just ask Pointrox :P
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

tommykl wrote:
Biscione wrote:Returning from Poland just a few months ago, I believe it should be pronounced Kzheh - shtoff Howov - tcheh - tss. The "zh" should be pronounced like the "s" in "treasure".

But thats Klingon, surely?
Just For One Day...
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

CoopsII wrote: But thats Klingon, surely?
A fellow Star Trek fan Image
-*:-
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Jocke1 wrote:
CoopsII wrote: But thats Klingon, surely?
A fellow Star Trek fan Image

Q'apla! Actually, im about half way through the remastered original series right now, its great stuff, the visual effects are much better. Plus you get that DS9 episode with the Tribbles, quality.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I've recently been on a placement in a hospital where I worked alongside a young lady from Poland. There was reason to find out how to pronounce the name Krzysztof plus a surname heavy on the consonants. He was known to everyone simply as Christof.
MCard LOLA
girry

Post by girry »

Speaking of mispronounciations, the Rosbergs always had their names pronounced way wrong by the English. They always have a more 'finnish' pronounciation in their 'Rose-berg' than the finns, since its not a finnish name; the correct pronounciation can be heard perfectly in this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ47RxS-Q4A after 0.35's 'Kekekekeke' part. :geek:
when you're dead people start listening