The Sportscar and Endurance Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
pi314159

Re: The Sportscar and Endurance Thread

Post by pi314159 »

go_Rubens wrote:Looks the same, but at least I can see some of the changes made for the nee regs. I like how narrow the cars will be next year, and the new safety regs. And the new powertrains for hybrid systems. I will certainly focus on WEC next year.

Some new pictures of the car show that the nose has become narrower. Also the aero at the side of the car has become more complex. But still, the chassis keeps many things from the old e-tron quattro. But the engine and hybrid systems are completely new. Aero-wise, it looks a bit more complex than the Porsche.

I'm already excited what we're going to see from Toyota, and also how competetive Rebellion and OAK/Ligier are going to be. And maybe we could even see a surprise LMP1 entry. The Rebellion manager said a while ago that someone expressed interest in buying the old Lolas, which would still be allowed for 2015.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

my guess is audi were only throwing around the idea of joining the DP class, but have scrapped it all together.
also i bet USCC didn't let them use the v10 they wanted.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

nome66 wrote:my guess is audi were only throwing around the idea of joining the DP class, but have scrapped it all together.
also i bet USCC didn't let them use the v10 they wanted.

Someone from Audi said a while ago that they don't have any DP plans.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Brundle's son said it best today o Twitter:

"If I was 6, the new Audi would make me afraid of the dark!"
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Dark77 wrote:McNish retires :(

I was looking forward to seeing him race next year against more competition. He was a great driver, should have gotten another chance in F1. But, oh well. We'll see who goes up to co-drive with Kristensen and Duval, as Capello has already retired after last year. Hopefully di Grassi.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112098

So, with that in mind, and what track changes will we see at Le Mans in the future?

I will admit, more runoff at the Porsche curces is a good idea though.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

The Bathurst 12 Hour is now less than a month away, and the list of big names competing this year growing by the day, including former Porsche Supercup champ Rene Rast, ALMS champ Patrick Long, former WTCC champ Rob Huff, GT champ Laurens Vanthoor and none other than the F1 Reject extraordinaire himself Markus Winkelhock. All eyes are now on AF Corse and Erebus as far as the top teams go to see what lineups they'll bring, although it wouldn't surprise me if AF brought either Fisichella or Kobayashi to the party for this year.

Of course, the Mad Uncle himself will try to be up there this year as well, as I'm trying to get a marshalling gig for the weekend as part of a mini-roadtrip over the Mountains next month :mrgreen:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Wizzie wrote:The Bathurst 12 Hour is now less than a month away, and the list of big names competing this year growing by the day, including former Porsche Supercup champ Rene Rast, ALMS champ Patrick Long, former WTCC champ Rob Huff, GT champ Laurens Vanthoor and none other than the F1 Reject extraordinaire himself Markus Winkelhock. All eyes are now on AF Corse and Erebus as far as the top teams go to see what lineups they'll bring, although it wouldn't surprise me if AF brought either Fisichella or Kobayashi to the party for this year.

Of course, the Mad Uncle himself will try to be up there this year as well, as I'm trying to get a marshalling gig for the weekend as part of a mini-roadtrip over the Mountains next month :mrgreen:

Well, have fun man! :)
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

As I think this is the thread where GT related news go:

Alex Zanardi is back in Motorsport!

He's going to drive a BMW in the Blancpain Sprint Series.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112207
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

pi314159 wrote:As I think this is the thread where GT related news go:

Alex Zanardi is back in Motorsport!

He's going to drive a BMW in the Blancpain Sprint Series.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112207

YESSS!!!!! :D :D :D

Exactly my same reaction as Kobayashi in a Caterham this year... We continue to see genuinely great surprises.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

There's been an absolutely enormous accident in the Daytona 24 Hours. Race immediately red-flagged and both drivers involved have been sent straight to hospital. :|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BymOht1DVSk
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

East Londoner wrote:There's been an absolutely enormous accident in the Daytona 24 Hours. Race immediately red-flagged and both drivers involved have been sent straight to hospital. :|

What's the prognosis? Conscious?

EDIT: Autosport do not yet say how the drivers are, other than hospitalised
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

East Londoner wrote:There's been an absolutely enormous accident in the Daytona 24 Hours. Race immediately red-flagged and both drivers involved have been sent straight to hospital. :|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BymOht1DVSk

Oh my gosh, I hope the are ok.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
simonracer

Post by simonracer »

Memo Gidley, who was in the car that smashed into the slow Ferrari, is apparently conscious. I don't know about the Ferrari driver.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

simonracer wrote:Memo Gidley, who was in the car that smashed into the slow Ferrari, is apparently conscious. I don't know about the Ferrari driver.

It is a horrific accident, made worse by the closing speed, and if either is going to come off better I suspect it would be Gidley who would at least have been able to anticipate the crash and have the front of his car to absorb the impact and protect him.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

AndreaModa wrote:
simonracer wrote:Memo Gidley, who was in the car that smashed into the slow Ferrari, is apparently conscious. I don't know about the Ferrari driver.

It is a horrific accident, made worse by the closing speed, and if either is going to come off better I suspect it would be Gidley who would at least have been able to anticipate the crash and have the front of his car to absorb the impact and protect him.

According to the broadcast of the race, Malucelli is awake and talking as well. That wreck was one of the scarier ones I have ever seen.
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Gosh...

I saw a picture of the 99 car after that. Comsidering the reports so far, it makes me think of all the safety enhancements made in racing over time, and how they've worked. That was the scariest crash I've watched since Simonsen's accident at Le Mans last year.

On a cheerier note, I'm very glad both drivers are conscious and talking. That's about all I ask roght now.

And for Christian Fittipaldi to win the race, he lead for a long while :)
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

mario

Post by mario »

Hound55 wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:

According to the broadcast of the race, Malucelli is awake and talking as well. That wreck was one of the scarier ones I have ever seen.

The difference in closing speed was considerable, and it was also worrying that Gidley's car went straight underneath Malucelli's car, lifting the latter's car off the track (but thankfully pushing it away from, rather than towards, the cars right behind him). Nasty as it was, it was perhaps fortunate that it wasn't even worse than it already was.

The latest update on Gidley is that he has just had an operation on his left leg and left arm for injuries sustained in that crash and is now under observation. Malucelli, meanwhile, is also under observation, although there is no further news on his condition either. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112280
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

What an exciting race. What an exciting finish! GIVE ME MORE!!! :D

What this BS about the 555 Ferrari getting a time penalty for avoidable contact?! There was none!

On a brighter note, Christian Fittipaldi wins overall :D :D :D

Whatever happens though, there is no doubt ROTR goes to Ganassi for showcasing a double-DNF in the final 2 hours and before then the car lacking pace for most of the time. What a failure.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Controversial end to the Daytona race as the GTD-winning Ferrari has been given a time-penalty right at the end after 'causing avoidable contact' with Winklehock's Audi. But the replays have just shown there was no contact at all. So the stewards need to justify giving an avoidable-contact penalty if there's no contact.

As for the Memo Gidley crash. The reporters at Daytona have confirmed both drivers involved in the crash are in a stable condition. Gidley has had an operation on his left leg and left arm.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
nome66

Post by nome66 »

Winklehock almost had him! i do think the "avoidable contact" penalty was bogus. i saw the slow mo and they did not touch. good on the ferrari team for winning through such an intense battle.
i am a little disappointed that the LMP-based Prototype class teams didn't get better results than the Daytona Protos. I'm looking forward to Sebring, which hopefully will turn out different results.
i assume this is because the Daytona Prototypes produce considerably less drag than the LeMans cars.
i think the race at sebring could be an easy win for an LMP team because they could just dial the car in the same way they have for the last few years. i have seen test footage of the daytona prototypes at sebring for the 2012 and 2013 pre-seasons, and to me they seemed slightly less ambitious around the flat turns. i do know that the DP teams don't have an aerodynamic setup for the track, as they were only testing suspension setups for the Daytona infield, so they'll probably be fiddling with the splitters and spoilers all weekend.

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

I would be surprised if they go to Sebring without changes to the BoP. GTLM was faster over a lap than the PC cars, so I think they may be experiencing an increase in ballast.
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Watched the finish, and I also agree that the penalty on the GTD Ferrari was BS. They clearly did not touch. Hell, Winklehock almost took himself out shortly before the incident. I would be appealing the steward's decision right now if I was the Ferrari team.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

Good news everyone!

The Level 5 Ferrari has been reinstated as GTD class winner after further review! Let the festivities commence!
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

Hound55 wrote:Good news everyone!

The Level 5 Ferrari has been reinstated as GTD class winner after further review! Let the festivities commence!

How bout no. Two laps prior, Pier Guini pretty blantantly chopped of MARKUS WINKELHOCK at the bus-stop. THAT was penalty worthy. Also Level 5 is run by a Loan-Sharking Crook that gets his kicks by ruining the fun at SCCA Club events.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
nome66

Post by nome66 »

LvL 5 was Reinstated winner? YOU MEAN WINKLEHOCK DID THAT THING WHERE HE WAS IN THE LEAD FOR ANOTHER RIDICULOUSLY SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME!? i think he beat his previous record because the race was already over by the time they said he was leading.

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

The latest Bathurst 12 hour entry list

The hero of Lleyton House Ivan Capelli is now the latest big name to enter the event in a Class A Corvette :D
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

And Benrd Schneider! Add Mika Salo as well :)

I wish I could see any race at bathurst live on TV. But I can't :(
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

F1000X

Post by F1000X »

RealRacingRoots wrote:
Hound55 wrote:Good news everyone!

How bout no. Two laps prior, Pier Guini pretty blantantly chopped of MARKUS WINKELHOCK at the bus-stop. THAT was penalty worthy. Also Level 5 is run by a Loan-Sharking Crook that gets his kicks by ruining the fun at SCCA Club events.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Scott Tucker is a massive piece of shite. It's not like he needs another Rolex.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

While Interlagos is no longer a season finale for F1, it now is the season finale for the WEC.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Hound55 wrote:I would be surprised if they go to Sebring without changes to the BoP. GTLM was faster over a lap than the PC cars, so I think they may be experiencing an increase in ballast.

What's wrong with that? I can remember when the GT1 Vettes, Vipers, Saleens, and Astons were as quick, and sometimes a hair quicker than LMP2. And those are real prototypes, not a joke spec class. I thought the balance was pretty darn good overall, which surprised me. If they ever wake up and add P1, it will be a perfect series, one we Americans have been wanting for awhile.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
mario

Post by mario »

Wallio wrote:
Hound55 wrote:I would be surprised if they go to Sebring without changes to the BoP. GTLM was faster over a lap than the PC cars, so I think they may be experiencing an increase in ballast.

What's wrong with that? I can remember when the GT1 Vettes, Vipers, Saleens, and Astons were as quick, and sometimes a hair quicker than LMP2. And those are real prototypes, not a joke spec class. I thought the balance was pretty darn good overall, which surprised me. If they ever wake up and add P1, it will be a perfect series, one we Americans have been wanting for awhile.

The bigger question is going to be the balance of performance between the LMP2 cars and the DP class - or, as the governing body is now calling it, an "adjustment of performance" (suggesting that they are possibly in a position where they aren't actually able to balance the performance of the two types of car just yet).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112395

Lucas di Grassi takes McNish's vacant seat at Audi. I like.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

The Bathurst 12 is in the books. And my word, was that a race. 12 hours of some of the best racing you will ever see comes down to four tenths of a second. Craig Lowndes adds to his legendary CV by becoming one of the few people to win both The Great Race and the 12 Hour. John Bowe, Mika Salo and Peter Edwards share the podium as the German HTP squad take second in their Merc SLS, and last year's winners in Eerebus held on to a podium spot from the new fastest man around Bathurst in The Giz.

Racing does not get much better.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
The Dutch Bear

Post by The Dutch Bear »

RealRacingRoots wrote:The Bathurst 12 is in the books. And my word, was that a race. 12 hours of some of the best racing you will ever see comes down to four tenths of a second. Craig Lowndes adds to his legendary CV by becoming one of the few people to win both The Great Race and the 12 Hour. John Bowe, Mika Salo and Peter Edwards share the podium as the German HTP squad take second in their Merc SLS, and last year's winners in Eerebus held on to a podium spot from the new fastest man around Bathurst in The Giz.

Racing does not get much better.

The best of GT3 racing and V8 Supercars joined together. 'Nuff said.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112513

Nice to see good ol' Johansson still at it.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

go_Rubens wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112513

Nice to see good ol' Johansson still at it.

Great effort. *Golf applause*
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Golf clap indeed!

Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.