F1 Liveries

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Re: F1 Liveries

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Shame he didn't do the Orange Arrows livery, that was beautiful.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I cant look at that Lola, its still too raw :cry:

EDIT I looked at it, its too beautiful.... :cry:
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:EDIT I looked at it, its too beautiful.... :cry:

The Lola is indeed a stunner. Shame it wasn't around for longer...

And there was a sponsor in common to that Jordan and Leyton House - Osama. Any connection to bin Laden? (I heard that he was involved in sponsering Williams in the early 1980s - Alan Jones said that if he knew what he would become, he would have deliberately driven the Williams into him...).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

dr-baker wrote:And there was a sponsor in common to that Jordan and Leyton House - Osama. Any connection to bin Laden?

No. Osama is an Italian pen manufacturer.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Meatwad wrote:
dr-baker wrote:And there was a sponsor in common to that Jordan and Leyton House - Osama. Any connection to bin Laden?

No. Osama is an Italian pen manufacturer.

Thank goodness for that.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

dr-baker wrote:
CoopsII wrote:EDIT I looked at it, its too beautiful.... :cry:

The Lola is indeed a stunner. Shame it wasn't around for longer...

And there was a sponsor in common to that Jordan and Leyton House - Osama. Any connection to bin Laden? (I heard that he was involved in sponsering Williams in the early 1980s - Alan Jones said that if he knew what he would become, he would have deliberately driven the Williams into him...).

Here's Jones' Williams with Baroom Bin Laden sticker. It's to do with the bin Laden construction company, which was founded (and run) by Osama's dad. OBL had little to do with the company, which still exists (as the Saudi Binladin Group).

The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Thank you WTF1, this is golddust: F1 liveries on modern F1 cars

http://cdebdesign.blogspot.co.uk/?view=classic

Includes plenty of reject teams too!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

watka wrote:Thank you WTF1, this is golddust: F1 liveries on modern F1 cars

A lot of them work really well too, some are better now than they were back then! And most are better than todays liveries!
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Good god, that Marlboro ISO....I think I'm in love.......

The 82 Renault and 75 Shadow are pretty damn smoking as well, if I may say

EDIT: Just found this. Having spent 20 minutes frantically pressing Ctrl+Z, I can confirm that it is impossible to unsee things, and thus I foist this optical turd upon your retinas. Sorry.

TORA! TORA! TORA!
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

How one season changed the Footwork Arrows livery from great to garbage :mrgreen:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

So many great beauties amongst that lot. My few favourites:

...Plus the 1994 Pacific.
MCard LOLA
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:The 82 Renault and 75 Shadow are pretty damn smoking as well, if I may say

I agree about the 1975 Shadow. I wish I could look at that in real life all day.

Seriously, instead of double-points-last-race, or permanent numbers, or pole trophies, if F1 wants to put in place a gimmick that might actually connect with not only new fans but also the die-hard old school fans, how about making one round a year a "retro" round - all teams in retro liveries (although sponsor names can be replaced), preferably a livery from that team's own lineage (eg Team Enstone could use any of the Toleman, Benetton, Renault or even Lotus liveries) and all drivers wearing a retro helmet.

That way you could even have interesting combos that never happened in real life. Raikkonen as James Hunt in a 1976-liveried Ferrari (!!!), JEV as Francois Cevert (or Jean Alesi) in a 1991 Minardi-liveried Toro Rosso, Lewis Hamilton as Senna in a Tyrrell-livered Mercedes etc.

What a great way of connecting modern F1 with its history. There's already such a market for this kind of thing in the gaming world, if only Bernie and co would pick up on that. Of course, all the boring marketing sods won't ever allow it to happen ...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

The 1995 Ligier is probably my favourite. Thanks for posting the link, was nice having a look at all of them.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

dr-baker wrote:

I so wish MasterCard could come back to F1 because of that!
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Yeah, I was really happy that I found this. My personal favourite is the Toleman:

Basically the current Williams design if it was perfected.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I just noticed a website on the Lola's headrest - http://www.mastercard.com/lola - and it's a dead link. :cry:
MCard LOLA
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

My favourite:
Sheer brilliance.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
PT8475

Post by PT8475 »

Good god, these are so beautiful...
girry

Post by girry »

eytl wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:The 82 Renault and 75 Shadow are pretty damn smoking as well, if I may say

I agree about the 1975 Shadow. I wish I could look at that in real life all day.

Seriously, instead of double-points-last-race, or permanent numbers, or pole trophies, if F1 wants to put in place a gimmick that might actually connect with not only new fans but also the die-hard old school fans, how about making one round a year a "retro" round - all teams in retro liveries (although sponsor names can be replaced), preferably a livery from that team's own lineage (eg Team Enstone could use any of the Toleman, Benetton, Renault or even Lotus liveries) and all drivers wearing a retro helmet.

That way you could even have interesting combos that never happened in real life. Raikkonen as James Hunt in a 1976-liveried Ferrari (!!!), JEV as Francois Cevert (or Jean Alesi) in a 1991 Minardi-liveried Toro Rosso, Lewis Hamilton as Senna in a Tyrrell-livered Mercedes etc.

What a great way of connecting modern F1 with its history. There's already such a market for this kind of thing in the gaming world, if only Bernie and co would pick up on that. Of course, all the boring marketing sods won't ever allow it to happen ...

Reading this message made me go further and further into a dream where all these beauties race....then I read upto the word 'marketing'

Duh. If there's one job I could name I could do better than all those F1 professionals, I swear most sponsors' marketing would be way better in my (or almost any given F1 fan's) hands....
when you're dead people start listening
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Call me a troll, but I think this should be in the EvdP forum...
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

This is still my fav livery. The 1986 Benetton. I just like the paint stripes. Proberly wouldn't work on a modern car though. Given how more angular the engine covers are today. Plus it has the different coloured tyres from Detroit which Im not 100% sure if I love or hate.

go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Basetornado wrote:This is still my fav livery. The 1986 Benetton. I just like the paint stripes. Proberly wouldn't work on a modern car though. Given how more angular the engine covers are today. Plus it has the different coloured tyres from Detroit which Im not 100% sure if I love or hate.

In my opinion, it'd be better if the colors were darker, or maybe lighter blue and dark green, as that'd suit my tastes nicely (except for purple, or neon yellow, and that's not the average guy's favorite colors).
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Basetornado wrote:This is still my fav livery. The 1986 Benetton. I just like the paint stripes. Proberly wouldn't work on a modern car though. Given how more angular the engine covers are today. Plus it has the different coloured tyres from Detroit which Im not 100% sure if I love or hate.

It's not too bad, really.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

that was from the brazil race.. they had the flag of the country they were racing on the car just ahead of the mirrors...
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

I'll list my 3 favs:

3. The Lambo Modena - The car looked good in it's normal chassis plus the paint job, but that was awesome in my opinion.

2. Gold Leaf Lotus - Oh, how that car looks so much better than today's Lotus.

1. Wolf Racing 1977 - It's a livery that only someone cool would come up with. Now bow before me!

Honorable mentions go to:

1994 Sauber - I like that livery on the normal car, but that's just good for the lack of imagination livery designers today have.
1995 Sauber - Better than any Red Bull livery since Red Bull bought Jaguar.
1983 Osella - Love it. Rejectful car with good livery to begin with, now good car with good livery!
1995 Ligier - Awesomeness galore.
1993 Ferrari - Yeah, maybe biased :D
1986 Lotus - The livery they should use, but without John Player logos on it of course. It even says "Turbo" on it. Well done.
Last but not least - The McLaren 1997 Preseason livery - The team should use orange.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

Image[/quote]
that was from the brazil race.. they had the flag of the country they were racing on the car just ahead of the mirrors...[/quote]

Oh cool, I had no idea. I had read that they only had the coloured tyres for the Detroit race so I just assumed.
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:My favourite:
Sheer brilliance.

What team did Winnie Blues sponsor? Thats mental.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Basetornado wrote:
Sheer brilliance.

And is that a kangaroo I see?
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

AustralianStig wrote:
Basetornado wrote:
Sheer brilliance.

And is that a kangaroo I see?

Yeah they sell it was an Australian thing overseas. Sort of like how they sell Fosters except people in Australia actually smoke Winnie Blues.
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

Just looked it up and just realised why one of the Williams in the new F1 game is Red etc.
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

The Red Winfield cars were actually really good looking in their own right, but they didn't really work as a Williams though.
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

Yeah it just doesnt fit. When I think of Williams I think of either Blue and White Rothmans or there modern liverys or Yellow and Blue Canon etc livery, not Red.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Basetornado wrote:Yeah it just doesnt fit. When I think of Williams I think of either Blue and White Rothmans or there modern liverys or Yellow and Blue Canon etc livery, not Red.

Williams were red in 1970,1974 and 1977! Also the 1975 and 1973 cars had lot of red in it too! So red is the only Williams heritage colour! Well actually it isn't, it's black.

Either way, 1969-1977 is the only period at Williams we really care about, right?
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:
Basetornado wrote:Yeah it just doesnt fit. When I think of Williams I think of either Blue and White Rothmans or their modern liveries or Yellow and Blue Canon etc livery, not Red.

Williams were red in 1970,1974 and 1977! Also the 1975 and 1973 cars had lot of red in it too! So red is the only Williams heritage colour! Well actually it isn't, it's black.

Either way, 1969-1977 is the only period at Williams we really care about, right?

Yeah, but wasn't that technically a different Williams team to the current one?

Wikipedia wrote:Williams Grand Prix Engineering Limited, trading as Williams F1, is a British Formula One motor racing team and constructor. It is founded and run by team owner Sir Frank Williams and automotive engineer Patrick Head. The team was formed in 1977 after Frank Williams' two earlier and, compared with Williams F1's achievements, unsuccessful F1 operations: Frank Williams Racing Cars (1969 to 1975) and Walter Wolf Racing (1976). All of Williams F1 chassis are called "FW" then a number, the FW being the initials of team owner, Frank Williams.

Original team's profile on Wikipedia.
MCard LOLA
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

Yeah its a different team from 69-77. Id say its heritage but not the same team.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Basetornado wrote:Yeah its a different team from 69-77. Id say its heritage but not the same team.

Of course it's not fully the same team team, and it has run trough other names. But just to say that a red Williams isn't unusual. And still, the first car of the modern Williams team was red. It was actually a March, but still, it was red, and it was sponsored by tasty belgian cherry beer :P
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

This wrote:
Basetornado wrote:Yeah its a different team from 69-77. Id say its heritage but not the same team.

Of course it's not fully the same team team, and it has run trough other names. But just to say that a red Williams isn't unusual. And still, the first car of the modern Williams team was red. It was actually a March, but still, it was red, and it was sponsored by tasty belgian cherry beer :P

I find a red williams strange but its prob cause Im so used to only seeing them in either Blue and white or yellow and blue.
As long as its a tasty belgian beer, im happy with Williams to be as red as they want. Haha
OsellaFA1L

Post by OsellaFA1L »

Am I the only one who liked the late 1993 Ligier.
RIP Jules Bianchi

Only Bernie could pay his way out of a bribery court case