Patrick Friesacher driver profile!

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Patrick Friesacher driver profile!

Post by eytl »

Hi everyone,

After working on it in fits and spurts over the last few months, in whatever spare time I could find, finally the biography of Patrick Friesacher is complete! It's the story of arguably the original Red Bull junior driver who - like so many after him - was discarded by the energy drink giant before he got to F1, but he managed to make it to the top-flight anyway, possibly due to some shady Russian investors. Sounds just like 2013 ...

You can find the profile from the links on the main page. Or alternatively here's the URL:

http://www.f1rejects.com/drivers/friesacher/index.html

Look out for a brand new feature to appear in a driver profile - a sound clips page full of commentary snippets (including one in Cantonese!) referring to Patrick.

Hope you enjoy the read.

Cheers,
Enoch
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Patrick Friesacher driver profile!

Post by FullMetalJack »

If that guy was thinner, it'd be me right now.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

Nice Christmas Gift! Will look it right now
Bertrand Gachot, Pacific, Connew and Piercarlo Ghinzani's No.1 Fan

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

HWNSNBM referred with his real name nine times!
girry

Post by girry »

A good read, really didn't know much at all about Patrick - very interesting
when you're dead people start listening
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

That's a huge amount that I never knew, and I suspect the same will be true for many others. And this is why, if anyone casual F1 observers out there ever think "(driver) was a bit crap, wasn't he, he only trundled round at the back for Minardi/Super Aguri/Caterham/Marussia/HRT (etc) for a few races", they should look here.

Next stop, Robert Doornbos? Giorgio Pantano? Ralph Firman? Justin Wilson? Or even the mighty HWNSNBM?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Nicely done. As always, you can tell that a lot of research and effort went into the profile and it hasn't been done by halves. Thank you!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Well, now that it's been published (and a brilliant read, as always), I believe it's time to gaze at the "Currently Working On:" section of the drivers index...

Ye Olde Maine Site wrote:We have various ideas for driver profiles throughout 2014! Including a no-nonsense Australian, a Brazilian pioneer, an American oddity, and a quiet Japanese warrior. Stay tuned!

And so, my guesses are:
-Frank Gardner
-Gino Bianco
-Ronnie Bucknum
-Masahiro Hasemi
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Aw man, I didn't realise his career had ended in such a way. I just thought he faded into obscureness driving club races and other small series once he left F1. :(

Still, another great profile. I am excite for what 2014 may bring to our corner of the interwebs.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

I knew Friesacher drove in F1, and scored points in the Michelin fiasco. Very in-depth, and I learned a lot more than I'd have expected. Awesome modern-day profile!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Well, at least now i learned that Patrick Friesacher was not related to Markus Friesacher!
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Julien

Post by Julien »

One little sidenote: Baumgartner was never really a candidate at Minardi for 2005 as he would have needed some serious sponsorship money to take with him but those who supported him one season earlier (most notably MOL, the Hungarian petrol company) withdrew their sponsorship at the end of the 2004 season. Only the fans were hoping for a miracle sponsor to show up...
It is true though that Stoddard really liked Baumgartner and he would have wanted to give him the second Minardi for the next season if he can ground up the necessary sponsorship. That's why Baumgartner's name seemed to be on the table for very long, because Stoddard kept the door open for him as long as it was possible.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I thought it was a good read. Nice to know about a driver I never noticed much
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

tommykl wrote:Well, now that it's been published (and a brilliant read, as always), I believe it's time to gaze at the "Currently Working On:" section of the drivers index...

Ye Olde Maine Site wrote:We have various ideas for driver profiles throughout 2014! Including a no-nonsense Australian, a Brazilian pioneer, an American oddity, and a quiet Japanese warrior. Stay tuned!

And so, my guesses are:
-Frank Gardner
-Gino Bianco
-Ronnie Bucknum
-Masahiro Hasemi

It's either Bucknum or Foyt. Foyt happens to be the only driver to have won the Indy 500, Daytona 500, and 24 Hours of LeMans.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
tommykl wrote:Well, now that it's been published (and a brilliant read, as always), I believe it's time to gaze at the "Currently Working On:" section of the drivers index...

And so, my guesses are:
-Frank Gardner
-Gino Bianco
-Ronnie Bucknum
-Masahiro Hasemi

It's either Bucknum or Foyt. Foyt happens to be the only driver to have won the Indy 500, Daytona 500, and 24 Hours of LeMans.

While Foyt is indeed a reject, I don't think it'll be him. His unsuccessful late-50s Indy attempts were really only the start of his career. Now, if he'd competed in other F1 races (like a US Grand Prix or two), then he might have been a more probable answer. Rodger Ward or Troy Ruttman would have been good ones, but they're unrejectified by the same criteria that makes Foyt eligible. Come to think of it, Roger Penske could make for a decent profile...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I'm still looking forward to a Bernie profile, but I expect we'll have to see him dead before he gets written up. Can't see him finishing his legacy before then, whether it be still at the helm of the sport or in prison...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

tommykl wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:It's either Bucknum or Foyt. Foyt happens to be the only driver to have won the Indy 500, Daytona 500, and 24 Hours of LeMans.

While Foyt is indeed a reject, I don't think it'll be him. His unsuccessful late-50s Indy attempts were really only the start of his career. Now, if he'd competed in other F1 races (like a US Grand Prix or two), then he might have been a more probable answer. Rodger Ward or Troy Ruttman would have been good ones, but they're unrejectified by the same criteria that makes Foyt eligible. Come to think of it, Roger Penske could make for a decent profile...

Penske also became an unrejectiful constructor. I bet he would be a bookend to Guy Ligier.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

tommykl wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:

And so, my guesses are:
-Frank Gardner
-Gino Bianco
-Ronnie Bucknum
-Masahiro Hasemi

All I'll say is don't get too far ahead of yourselves with any of these. By "currently working on" I mean I have written some names on a piece of paper, and I might be interested in investigating these drivers next year if and when I find a spare nanosecond.

Nevertheless, all the guesses so far are wrong. :lol:
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

eytl wrote:All I'll say is don't get too far ahead of yourselves with any of these. By "currently working on" I mean I have written some names on a piece of paper, and I might be interested in investigating these drivers next year if and when I find a spare nanosecond.

My guess is Gabriele Tarquini.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

I don't want to sound harsh, but eytl, could you at least put a link to this profile on the main site? :lol: You know, people who are not on the forum might be interested in this profile too. ;)

(yeah i know it's in your message, but, try to motivate yourself, we believe in you!)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

This wrote:I don't want to sound harsh, but eytl, could you at least put a link to this profile on the main site? :lol: You know, people who are not on the forum might be interested in this profile too. ;)

(yeah i know it's in your message, but, try to motivate yourself, we believe in you!)

A link will go up in conjunction with one or two other articles which will hopefully be available this week.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

eytl wrote:All I'll say is don't get too far ahead of yourselves with any of these. By "currently working on" I mean I have written some names on a piece of paper, and I might be interested in investigating these drivers next year if and when I find a spare nanosecond.

Of course, the 1950s F1 with the Indy 500 involved had a boatload of rejects who may or may not be rejects as if you make Foyt a reject then Rodger Ward and Troy Ruttman who were rejects on road courses would lose their status as they won the Indianapolis 500. Let it be Foyt not being one and the questions become of what era is Foyt. His career extends into the 1990s with his last race being the 1994 Brickyard 400. Where is the point where the IndyCar becomes so distinguishable from the F1 car given the runs of Barbazza from IndyCar/CART to F1, back to CART and then finishing in F1 and his 3rd in the 1987 Indy 500 being bit of a false hope as he was two laps behind Al Unser Sr. and Roberto Guerrero (who didn't bounce back and forth) and had heavy attrition with only nine finishers and out of those two the cars of Johnny Rutherford and Jeff MacPherson were so far off the pace as to be near the ignition disabled car of Mario Andretti who completed 180 laps and was unable to finish after leading 171 laps and completing 180.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

eytl wrote:A link will go up in conjunction with one or two other articles which will hopefully be available this week.

There's going to be a further one or two articles this week hopefully??? :o

:) :D :mrgreen:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Another excellent article with lots of fascinating detail; a pleasure to read as always! :)
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Excellent article, I learned so much. I really like these looks into the background of pay-driver needijg teams. Great insight. As for next year's list? Few people were odder than Scott Speed, and being recent there should be plenty available.....
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Made for a fantastic read, especially for a driver that I would have easily forgotten had it not been for the 05 US GP.

Bleu wrote:HWNSNBM referred with his real name nine times!

Nooooooooooooo!
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Wallio wrote:Excellent article, I learned so much. I really like these looks into the background of pay-driver needijg teams. Great insight. As for next year's list? Few people were odder than Scott Speed, and being recent there should be plenty available.....

And worse yet, he has been as bad if not worse in NASCAR.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Thank you Enoch for yet another great driver profile. Little did I know Friesacher suffered through so many injuries during his racing career. It's nice to find out he has a day job these days and is still involved in what he loves doing.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Now, I know that he isn't one of the possible drivers we may get profiles for this year, but while doing research for my assignment on the evolution of F1 aerodynamics, I came across a name I had seen before very briefly (being an F1 Reject). I never thought much about him apart from a cool-sounding name, but after a bit of research, I found that he had one of the biggest influences in Formula One design of any man ever. I'm talking about Michael May, who was the first man to put a wing on a racing car, then subsequently had an uneventful and short F1 career spanning three races in 1961 before working as an engine consultant for Porsche and Ferrari where, through contact with Mauro Forghieri, he instigated the arrival of wings in Formula 1.

Could be an interesting read...

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

eytl wrote:
tommykl wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:It's either Bucknum or Foyt. Foyt happens to be the only driver to have won the Indy 500, Daytona 500, and 24 Hours of LeMans.

All I'll say is don't get too far ahead of yourselves with any of these. By "currently working on" I mean I have written some names on a piece of paper, and I might be interested in investigating these drivers next year if and when I find a spare nanosecond.

Well, what with your new profile pic, I'm tempted to guess Chuck Daigh...

eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

tommykl wrote:Well, what with your new profile pic, I'm tempted to guess Chuck Daigh...

Interesting guess ... ;)
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Ahh, a new profile pic for eytl, I see...

Alright, so the circuit in question is obviously Riverside. The question is: is it during the 1960 US Grand Prix? If so, and assuming this is still the "American oddity", it could be Chuck Daigh, Pete Lovely or Bob Drake. Taking into account that the car in question is neither a Scarab nor a Cooper, I can safely say that the driver in the picture is Bob Drake.

Next question: is this picture really from the 1960 USGP? If it is, then I fail to see how Bob Drake qualifies himself as an oddity. A reject? Definitely, but he himself isn't of particular note. However, his entry marks the last entry for a Maserati 250F...

Am I on the right track here?

eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

tommykl wrote:Ahh, a new profile pic for eytl, I see...

Alright, so the circuit in question is obviously Riverside. The question is: is it during the 1960 US Grand Prix? If so, and assuming this is still the "American oddity", it could be Chuck Daigh, Pete Lovely or Bob Drake. Taking into account that the car in question is neither a Scarab nor a Cooper, I can safely say that the driver in the picture is Bob Drake.

Next question: is this picture really from the 1960 USGP? If it is, then I fail to see how Bob Drake qualifies himself as an oddity. A reject? Definitely, but he himself isn't of particular note. However, his entry marks the last entry for a Maserati 250F...

BINGO! :lol: Good sleuthing, well done.

Maybe I've used "oddity" loosely but yes there is a lot fascinating about the Bob Drake story. Much more than I realised when I thought I'd look into his career (and thought, mistakenly, that it would be a simple profile I could knock over in a month or so). It's been fascinating delving into the Southern Californian sports car scene in the 1950s. But you're spot on, the point that attracted me in the first place was the fact that he was the last person to race a 250F in a championship GP.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

eytl wrote:

Maybe I've used "oddity" loosely but yes there is a lot fascinating about the Bob Drake story. Much more than I realised when I thought I'd look into his career (and thought, mistakenly, that it would be a simple profile I could knock over in a month or so). It's been fascinating delving into the Southern Californian sports car scene in the 1950s. But you're spot on, the point that attracted me in the first place was the fact that he was the last person to race a 250F in a championship GP.

Fair enough, I had no idea he would become so interesting in his early career :)

Also, I can haz mention in the next podcast about my expert knowledge? :P

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

tommykl wrote:
eytl wrote:

Fair enough, I had no idea he would become so interesting in his early career :)

Also, I can haz mention in the next podcast about my expert knowledge? :P

tommykl, the resident 1950s/early 1960s expert, despite the fact that his parents probably wouldn't have even been born then...
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy