The 2013 Brazilian Grand Prix Thread - Season Finale!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

The 2013 Brazilian Grand Prix Thread - Season Finale!

Post by Ataxia »

Thought I'd open this seeing as it's Wednesday evening. Unfortunately, it's not gonna be a championship decider, so we'll be pinning our hopes on some raw, juicy racing action with the chance of rain! Hopefully, Interlagos will deliver...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Alextrax52

Re: The 2013 Brazilian Grand Prix Thread - Season Finale!

Post by Alextrax52 »

Ataxia wrote:Thought I'd open this seeing as it's Wednesday evening. Unfortunately, it's not gonna be a championship decider, so we'll be pinning our hopes on some raw, juicy racing action with the chance of rain! Hopefully, Interlagos will deliver...

And Webber gets a last win or Hulk gets a first podium. Webber does like this track remember 2003 Qualifying? He also won in 2009 and 2011 and had 2nd in 2010. Hulk took pole in 2010 and led half the race in 2012 before that incident with Hamilton.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Sorry for being really, really cynical here, but I think that this race will unusually be extremely boring a la Montreal, Spa and Yas Marina this year. Last year those races were quite good, but this year, ugh and this race might the next one in line. Hopefully not.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

good_Ralf wrote:Sorry for being really, really cynical here, but I think that this race will unusually be extremely boring a la Montreal, Spa and Yas Marina this year. Last year those races were quite good, but this year, ugh and this race might the next one in line. Hopefully not.

Basically: No rain = boring race.

At least rained in the last days in Sao Paulo.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Dj_bereta wrote:Basically: No rain = boring race.

Actually I rate the dry 2006, 2007 and 2009 races (all title deciders) amongst the top 50 races of the last 25-ish years. 2010 and 2011 had some bright moments, but not that many. But yeah, rain has more often than not produced the greatest races in Brazil (in the modern era 1991, 1993, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2008 and 2012).

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
mario

Post by mario »

Dj_bereta wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:Sorry for being really, really cynical here, but I think that this race will unusually be extremely boring a la Montreal, Spa and Yas Marina this year. Last year those races were quite good, but this year, ugh and this race might the next one in line. Hopefully not.

Basically: No rain = boring race.

At least rained in the last days in Sao Paulo.

Most of the interest is effectively in the three way battle between Mercedes, Ferrari and Lotus over 2nd to 4th in the WCC, since those placings are the only ones that are likely to change in this final race.

Mercedes has the upper hand at the moment, but their lead over Ferrari is slender: Ferrari's lead over Lotus, meanwhile, is only marginally larger. Barring reliability issues, the dominance that Red Bull are showing means that the win is surely theirs - indeed, you would expect a 1-2 finish in normal circumstances given their sheer performance advantage. It's what might happen behind them that's most interesting - you expect Grosjean to feature strongly given his recent solid run of form, whilst Hulkenberg is likely to be in the mix and may spoil things for a few teams.

I suppose that the only other question is what might happen when the teams test the 2014 spec tyres in the first practise session - I guess that it will give us the first hints of what to expect in 2014, particularly since it seems that Pirelli have gone for a more conservative approach given the reluctance of the teams to provide technical data.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Hopefully Massa will get a good result and hopefully Ferrari can pull off second place in the WCC. I doubt it, but it will certainly be interesting to watch. :)
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

According to F1.com, TWTSNBM is forecasted for clear things falling upon Earth. I want it so bad! ;)
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

go_Rubens wrote:According to F1.com, TWTSNBM is forecasted for clear things falling upon Earth. I want it so bad! ;)

Why don't just say rain. And yes, there's indeed a 60% chance of rain for Sao Paulo on Saturday. Forecasts for Sunday are between 30% and 60% chance of rain.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

pi314159 wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:According to F1.com, TWTSNBM is forecasted for clear things falling upon Earth. I want it so bad! ;)

Why don't just say rain. And yes, there's indeed a 60% chance of rain for Sao Paulo on Saturday. Forecasts for Sunday are between 30% and 60% chance of rain.

Well, I'm having fun flowing with the slighest superstition ;) But either way, it's good news for once!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

mario wrote:Most of the interest is effectively in the three way battle between Mercedes, Ferrari and Lotus over 2nd to 4th in the WCC, since those placings are the only ones that are likely to change in this final race.

What about the battle for 3rd in the drivers' points? Hamilton 187, Raikkonen 183 and sidelined, Webber 181 but, relatively speaking, coming home strongly.

Also Di Resta, Hulkenberg, Perez on 48, 47, and 41 respectively in what's not only the battle for 10th in the drivers' championship, but also for seats next year.
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

This is what I want to happen:

Vettel is 1st and Webber is 2nd and then Vettel has a "problem" at one of his pit stops and gifts the win to Mark. I think it would go a long way in repairing some damage done to Vettel's popularity.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Benetton wrote:This is what I want to happen:

Vettel is 1st and Webber is 2nd and then Vettel has a "problem" at one of his pit stops and gifts the win to Mark. I think it would go a long way in repairing some damage done to Vettel's popularity.

As much as people would like that even Mark himself wouldn't want to win that way besides he's been told he's not getting any favors from Seb and it wouldn't be good for the sport
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I agree that Webber would rather come home 2nd than be gifted a win by Vettel as that would just underline the dominance that Seb has had over him.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

watka wrote:I agree that Webber would rather come home 2nd than be gifted a win by Vettel as that would just underline the dominance that Seb has had over him.

God that would be the worst kind of win you can get. Hopefully either Mark or Vettel will refuse if that happens - Or even better Red Bull have NO TEAM ORDERS AT ALL.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns26888.html

Heavy words for Felipinho, but with some sense...
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

SeedStriker wrote:http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns26888.html

Heavy words for Felipinho, but with some sense...

Great I now have a new image of Maldonado in my head now-

Brazil here we come. Its the final Race for Webber guaranteed and possibly both Force India drivers plus a couple of other
So what will happen- I think Mark will win WITHOUT Vettel's help. He HAS to win. I think almost everyone would love to see that.
I also think a few people would like to see Maldonado out of f1 as well but that will not happen. Poor Poor venezuelan children starving to let this man drive in f1. I so hope he doesn't get the lotus drive- But I hope he doesn't have another race like America.

However the Main fight is Caterham Vs Marussia. This is it. Marussia are hoping for a calm race Caterham are hoping for Panic. Who deserves 10th more. Probably Marussia overall. At least they don't keep promising points and then achieve nothing. I think Marussia will hang on to it by the skin of there teeth- Plus I think Chilton will retire. From f1. Just to be ironic.

COME ON MARK!!!!
Last edited by rachel1990 on 21 Nov 2013, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

And some of these "pay drivers" did better than Felipe in the last years (Grosjean, Maldonado, Perez...).
mario

Post by mario »

eytl wrote:
mario wrote:Most of the interest is effectively in the three way battle between Mercedes, Ferrari and Lotus over 2nd to 4th in the WCC, since those placings are the only ones that are likely to change in this final race.

What about the battle for 3rd in the drivers' points? Hamilton 187, Raikkonen 183 and sidelined, Webber 181 but, relatively speaking, coming home strongly.

Also Di Resta, Hulkenberg, Perez on 48, 47, and 41 respectively in what's not only the battle for 10th in the drivers' championship, but also for seats next year.

That is a fair point - the battle between Hamilton and Webber (I wouldn't really include Kimi given he is not competing) is interesting given that Webber is on a better run of form - I think that Hamilton may just have the upper hand in that case, but it'll be tight between the two. As for the di Resta-Hulkenberg-Perez scrap, the current form would suggest that Hulkenberg is probably the one who will come out on top - Perez might just sneak past di Resta, but I think that it will end up Hulkenberg-di Resta-Perez in the end.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
OsellaFA1L

Post by OsellaFA1L »

To be honest I will be cheering Perez and Hulk this race. They both deserve 2014 drives but don't have them yet. I also do want Webber to finish his F1 career off on a high*.

And I'm not talking about a Tomas Enge sort of high :lol:
RIP Jules Bianchi

Only Bernie could pay his way out of a bribery court case
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Everyone, remember:

-Last race of Webber with Jaguar was in Interlagos, 2004. He crashed with your team-mate.
-Last race of Webber with Williams was in interlagos, 2006. He crashed with your team-mate.

So... :lol:
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Dj_bereta wrote:Everyone, remember:

-Last race of Webber with Jaguar was in Interlagos, 2004. He crashed with your team-mate.
-Last race of Webber with Williams was in interlagos, 2006. He crashed with your team-mate.

And in 2002 his last race for Minardi (albeit at Japan) his team-mate spun off and never raced in F1 again ;)
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Hate to say it but Webber will probably retire with a mechanical problem, but his start should be good. Webber ruled out being gifted a win even if one was offered, and Vettel wants to race and win and even if he really wanted to gift Mark the win, i think theyr'e both of the mentality that makes such wins meaningless.

I hope Chilton brings it home, his season wasn't very bright but he kept it clean. Seeing Massa on the podium would also be nice.

The constructor battles for 2nd don't interest me much because they're entirely defensive. The victor will be the team whose drivers manage their tyres well, and that just sounds boring. Texas was promising until everyone went into go-slow... Overtakes were beauties though.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

My team-mate? Why am I being dragged into this?
Just For One Day...
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

CoopsII wrote:

Your teammate? The post clearly states it's my teammate.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

Your teammate? The post clearly states it's my teammate.

I think he is speaking in a plural way. It must be a team-mate that is common to all of us.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:I think he is speaking in a plural way. It must be a team-mate that is common to all of us.

Yeah well, he better back off thats all I'm saying ;)
Just For One Day...
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Or dj-bereta is a non-native English speaker who mixes up his possessive pronouns. Probably the best explanation.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

shinji wrote:Or dj-bereta is a non-native English speaker who mixes up his possessive pronouns. Probably the best explanation.

EDIT: Changed the meme to something which is more appropriate to the message I was trying to come across before.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

shinji wrote:Or dj-bereta is a non-native English speaker who mixes up his possessive pronouns. Probably the best explanation.

Right. English isn't my first language.

I wasn't aware of my mistake, sorry everyone. I'm still learning English.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Well, it'll be interesting to see who would be on top in the race on Sunday if it rains the whole time, I mean, Rosberg looks quick in the wet.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

go_Rubens wrote:Well, it'll be interesting to see who would be on top in the race on Sunday if it rains the whole time, I mean, Rosberg looks quick in the wet.

I think Toro Rosso stand a great chance if points tomorrow if practice is anything to go by… which it isn't.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Three funny things during the Thursday drivers press conference.

One was this:
Q: (Marc Surer - Sky Germany)My question for Mark, Mark you must be very pleased next year there are no standing starts any more for you. I hardly remember a perfect start of you. Can you explain us what is so difficult to start a modern Formula One car?
MW: Ahhh, Austin was very good. Austin was a great start. Austin was a good start.

Croft: Sadly the Frenchman behind you got a better start.
MW: That’s right. Ahhh..yeah...ahhhh.. I think that my reaction... first of all, we are not completely in a position like Ferrari with their clutches. We know they have a very very good start system so they’re stronger than us on the initial...ahhh
FM: If you want we can change the downforce...

Mark should have replied "I hardly remember proper english of you". :|

Second thing was Pic coming in late to the conference, he was apparently busy doing a track walk, and lost track of time. :lol:

Third was this:

-*:-
S951

Post by S951 »

the ones out gaining plenty of time especially Kova
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

JEV rescues himself at Pastor's expense while Gutierrez was DBTMOTQ in that one in 18th while Hulk was 4th
S951

Post by S951 »

great lap rogro
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Surprise Surprise Perez is in the wall
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

A touch disappointing that Sutil (has he lost his touch in the wet?), Bottas and Kovalainen failed to make it to Q3.

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I'm a little bit cross at Rosbergs prat-perch engineer, y'know. At the start of Q1 he told the driver to get past the cars infront of him "especially Chilton"! Oi dickhead, dont single out and pick on our boy or I'll come down there and sit on you!

Bloody cheek.
Just For One Day...
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Go home, Charlie Whiting! :evil:

The best 22 drivers in the world (or so they say)... afraid of driving in the wet. :roll: