Rush

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
mario

Re: Rush

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
Salamander wrote:
Stupid question, but one I couldn't answer last night, would that helmet thing at the end work?

You mean the part where they were drilling holes in the visor to prevent it steaming up or whatever? I think so, but I'd wait for someone like mario to come along and give a definite answer as to how and why.

Ealier, I was trying to think, "What helmet thing at the end?", thinking of the final scene, but I remember it now. I assume it has something to do with airflow, in the same way blowing air at you windscreen in the car demists it?

Having not seen the scene in question, I'm afraid that I cannot offer a definitive answer - I would presume that, from the description that you have given, that the intention is as dr-baker says - to ensure that there is a sufficiently high airflow to prevent the air within the helmet from becoming super saturated with water vapour that could condense on the visor.

I would have thought, though, that the easiest method would simply have been to leave the visor slightly open - it's still reasonably frequently done, although less often these days given that coatings have been developed to prevent condensation (they are quite popular with motorcyclists), and some manufacturers now produce heated visors to eliminate the problem. Mind you, starch also works quite effectively too - there is the old trick of rubbing a potato on the visor to prevent it misting up too (I recall Anthony Davidson saying that he used that trick at Super Aguri once or twice).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Enforcer wrote:weren't Hunt and Lauda actually friends since F3?

Not really. They didn't really start becoming friendly until after Hunt retired.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

mario wrote:Mind you, starch also works quite effectively too - there is the old trick of rubbing a potato on the visor to prevent it misting up too (I recall Anthony Davidson saying that he used that trick at Super Aguri once or twice).

Just don't get it in your turbo....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

As I have mentioned in a number of other posts, I have been going through some old Autosports recently (and the ultimate aim of that will become obvious in the fullness of time). While looking through some 1998 issues, I came across the two following articles that may be of interest to some (and this just seemed the most apt place to post these articles - if it had not been for this film, I may not have thought to have scanned them to reproduce here).

From the 18th June 1998 issue, a retrospective on the life of Mr James Hunt, who had died 5 years prior to this issue being published:

And from the 3rd December 1998 issue, an article about Niki Lauda's rescue by Guy Edwards et al.:

If anybody wants the original scans (they will be easier to read), message me and I will forward them on.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
nome66

Post by nome66 »

I just saw the film. Absolutely incredible.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I read in F1 Racing magazine that Lauda doesn't acknowledge Edwards' role in saving his life. Or Ertl's or Lunger's for that matter. According to Niki, Merzario was the only one who actually went into the flames. I'm not sure who I should believe...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tommykl wrote:I read in F1 Racing magazine that Lauda doesn't acknowledge Edwards' role in saving his life. Or Ertl's or Lunger's for that matter. According to Niki, Merzario was the only one who actually went into the flames. I'm not sure who I should believe...

That's strange. I can't imagine Niki Lauda being particularly aware of what was happening at the time, and Edwards probably wouldn't receive a Gallentry Medal from the Queen unless there was sufficient evidence that he actually did something to help. And I cannot imagine 1 guy rescuing a driver from a fireball by himself. Can you?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
tommykl wrote:I read in F1 Racing magazine that Lauda doesn't acknowledge Edwards' role in saving his life. Or Ertl's or Lunger's for that matter. According to Niki, Merzario was the only one who actually went into the flames. I'm not sure who I should believe...

That's strange. I can't imagine Niki Lauda being particularly aware of what was happening at the time, and Edwards probably wouldn't receive a Gallentry Medal from the Queen unless there was sufficient evidence that he actually did something to help. And I cannot imagine 1 guy rescuing a driver from a fireball by himself. Can you?

Edwards and Ertl, at the very least, helped to suppress the fire with fire extinguishers and directed the fire fighting efforts to give Lunger and Merzario the best chance of getting to Lauda. The descriptions of what happened indicate that both Lunger and Merzario helped haul Lauda out of the car, with Lunger helping lift Lauda by the shoulders of his suit and Merzario undoing the belts and helping lift from the waist, so those reports indicate Lunger played a more active role in his rescue than Lauda seems to suggest.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Edwards and Ertl, at the very least, helped to suppress the fire with fire extinguishers and directed the fire fighting efforts to give Lunger and Merzario the best chance of getting to Lauda. The descriptions of what happened indicate that both Lunger and Merzario helped haul Lauda out of the car, with Lunger helping lift Lauda by the shoulders of his suit and Merzario undoing the belts and helping lift from the waist, so those reports indicate Lunger played a more active role in his rescue than Lauda seems to suggest.

It's a great shame then, if it's true, if Lauda only acknowledges Merzario's aid.
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Apparently, the movie was already available today (in "avant premiere"), so i was there, with only 9 other people watching the movie. That was kind of chill.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Just saw in theaters today. Thought it was fantastic. Really brings back the spirit of the "good old days" that everyone on the forums seem to miss so much. Also, the cinematography was very well done, I thought they handled Lauda's accident and comeback very well, and just seeing the old cars on the big screen was awesome. And I have suddenly developed a soft spot for the old Ligier liveries from those days.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Belegur

Post by Belegur »

In one of his autobiographies, Lauda made specific mention of Merzario's role in getting him out of the car. Probably because for whatever reason, according to Lauda, Merzario always hated him (probably because he replaced Merzario in Ferrari, but that's only speculating). So Lauda saw it as a truly selfless act to pull someone who you hated out of a burning car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Belegur wrote:

In one of his autobiographies, Lauda made specific mention of Merzario's role in getting him out of the car. Probably because for whatever reason, according to Lauda, Merzario always hated him (probably because he replaced Merzario in Ferrari, but that's only speculating). So Lauda saw it as a truly selfless act to pull someone who you hated out of a burning car.

That's interesting, and I hope I would do the same in that situation. But to single one person out does not mean he does not acknowledge others' help in what happened.
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

dr-baker wrote:
Belegur wrote:

That's interesting, and I hope I would do the same in that situation. But to single one person out does not mean he does not acknowledge others' help in what happened.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to quote the magazine, but here's what he said:

Niki Lauda wrote:[Merzario] was the only one who went into the fire, opened the belts and got me out. He, himself, not the others. One guy. Everyone else was running around like crazy.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tommykl wrote:I'm not sure if I'm allowed to quote the magazine, but here's what he said:

Niki Lauda wrote:[Merzario] was the only one who went into the fire, opened the belts and got me out. He, himself, not the others. One guy. Everyone else was running around like crazy.

Well, I have reproduced a whole article from an old Autosport above, so I guess you quoting a magazine is OK. ;)

And I would be surprised if Niki Lauda was that aware of what was happening, knowing how close to death he was, how poor visability in the middle of the fire would have been, etc. And as was said above, some would have needed to have been there 'just' holding and spraying fire extingishers...
MCard LOLA
nome66

Post by nome66 »

here's a review of the film by someone who admits they aren't a motorsports fan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD_LRKacbDg

by the way, that's the highest rating in his rating system apparently.

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Just saw this film today, and here are my thoughts.

Highs:
Daniel Bruhl was excellent as Niki Lauda. (Possible Oscar candidate for "Best Supporting Actor".)
Chirs Hemworth was also good as James Hunt, but like the others, I think Lauda's was more accurate, and believable.
Loved how they covered some the other people, cars and teams involved as well. (Reggazoni, BRM, Lord Hesketh, ect.)
Great editing and sound.
Good attention to detail to the cars of the era.

Lows:
Olivia Wilde was useless in the film. Her acting is great as always, but aside from being Hunt's brief wife, she's pretty much ineffective to the plot.
The rivalry between Hunt, and Lauda was inaccurate at times. (For the films viewing pleasure which isn't a bad thing.)
Lots of use of the shakeycam in the racing sequences. (Something I'm not a fan of.)

All in all, a great film that's a must see for any racing fan. I figured Ron Howard would do a good job on this film since his first directorial film was a racing movie "Grand Theft Auto". (As well as being in other car films like "Eat My Dust", and "American Graffiti".) And he doesn't disappoint in this one. It's just a shame that more people went to see "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2", rather than "Rush". It deserves way better than that.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

DOSBoot wrote:Highs:
Daniel Bruhl was excellent as Niki Lauda. (Possible Oscar candidate for "Best Supporting Actor".)

I wouldn't count that role "supporting actor", as it was one of two main characters.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Bleu wrote:
DOSBoot wrote:Highs:

I wouldn't count that role "supporting actor", as it was one of two main characters.

Indeed, as others have stated, the movie seemed to focus more on Lauda than it did Hunt.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

supporting? their roles were evenly weighted throughout the film

Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Finally saw this on Friday, and enjoyed it a lot. It's quite corny in places, but its heart is in the right place and it seems to be surprisingly accurate in most respects (in a broad-brush Hollywood sense, of course).
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

McLaren have an excellent blog entry from Emerson Fittipaldi that contains a fair bit about Fuji 1976 :

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/blog/emerson-fittipaldi/the-story-of-fuji-1976/

Well worth a read, for example you may not have known this :

I told my team that I’d start the race, do a few exploratory laps, but drive into the pits and retire if I considered the conditions too unsafe. And that’s exactly what I did, after just nine laps. Larry and Carlos, the two Brabham drivers who had already shunted in the warm-up, did likewise after just one lap and seven laps respectively. But our three retirements went largely unnoticed, because after two laps Niki did the same thing, voluntarily offering the world championship to James if he could finish in the top four.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

About to go in to see Rush. Looking forward to it.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Having seen Rush a couple days ago... I'd have to say it is a brilliant movie.

I have a newfound respect for Chris Hemsworth now. I never really got interested with the Thor movies. Bruhl does a great job too. I didn't really see an actor that didn't do their job well, which is rare.

Lauda and Hunt were perceived in the movie as a bit arrogant, which, from what I've read, is not the case - but their rivalry was portrayed perfectly otherwise.

Ron Howard did a brilliant job in directing the film. The way he portrayed the action scenes, the scenes with Hunt and Lauda, and everything else in between was done perfectly. Well, except for the "quality scenes." I still think they overdid it on them. Luckily it got a 14A rating here. It still made for some awkward feelings in the theater. Otherwise, Howard showed the passion for racing extremely well, as well as the emotions of a racing driver. The scene when Lauda went out of the car at Fuji (ok, I think everyone on this forum knows what happened at this point) was done exceptionally well, but they omitted a key quote in the scene - I think it goes along the lines of "life is more important than the title."

With that being said, this was a well-done movie. I'm definitely waiting for the DVD release. (Yes, I still have a DVD player lying around somewhere. Hahaha :P )
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Aerospeed wrote: (Yes, I still have a DVD player lying around somewhere. Hahaha :P )

Well, I still have a VHS player kicking around, as well as a DVD player. Prefer these to downloads (and the PS3 ain't bad at playing Blu-Rays).
MCard LOLA
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

I still have a VHS player which is used solely to watch F1 season reviews from 1981 to 2002. :P
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

I hadn't put two and two together until now ...

I just realised that, 16 days after dr baker posted those Autosport articles, the Sean Edwards Porsche Supercup star who perished in a fiery accident at Queensland Raceway was the same son of Guy Edwards who is mentioned in the Autosport article as the 14-year-old accompanying Guy to the spot where Lauda's accident occurred.

Somehow the timing of all that just adds to the poignancy of it all. :cry:
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

eytl wrote:I hadn't put two and two together until now ...

I just realised that, 16 days after dr baker posted those Autosport articles, the Sean Edwards Porsche Supercup star who perished in a fiery accident at Queensland Raceway was the same son of Guy Edwards who is mentioned in the Autosport article as the 14-year-old accompanying Guy to the spot where Lauda's accident occurred.

Somehow the timing of all that just adds to the poignancy of it all. :cry:

It does, doesn't it? Because of the busyness of my uni course, I had pushed to one side all the details of that Autosport article myself. The fact that Sean visited the spot with his father, then played his father in that scene, then died in a motorsport crash himself as the film was on release... That is indeed poignant.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

We all wear jackets of red, white and blue, there's one for me and there's one for you,
How do they do it? How do they do, 'cause to me they all look completely cuckoo.
Oh how did they start, how did they begin? Hesketh Racing are going to win!
Our driver we keep in clothing and meals, as long as he goes on turning his wheels.
His name is James Hunt, known as The Shunt, what he likes best is a nice glass of milk.

Six weeks. That's how long it took me to finally drag myself to the cinema and see Rush. A combination of being preoccupied with a host of other projects (such as this) and having very little cash to throw around saw to that, and I thought the chance to see it in the cinema had gone. Finding myself at a loose end last night instead of watching Twilight Of The Gods in Manchester (I'll go to the Smoke on Tuesday instead and make it half a business trip...) I looked up the listings for my local screens and saw it was still playing at 10:25 last night.

It was an excellent way to spend two hours watching other people drive, that would otherwise have seen me driving back along the M6 and A50.

I am not particularly well versed in F1 before 1981 - that's when the Duke season reviews start, which I've watched several times each, some more than others (and of those I saw at the time, the 2002 review has only been played once), and I don't have the season highlights DVDs of 1970-80. I could usually say who won the championship each season, I could pick out the drivers who had died or had had major crashes, but that's about it. So my review will be skewed that way. Had it been a film set in the 1990s - say, about the rise of Michael Schumacher - then it's more likely I'd have noticed any discrepancies.

Other than this, I'd say I'm broadly in line with what dr-baker said.

So, I wasn't distracted by "hang on, that isn't the right circuit!" like the rest of you were; seeing Hunt driving round the Karussel, or at least that's what I think it was supposed to be, I thought that was the Karussel and not, say, Druids with some German forests CGIed into the background. I also put off listening to the latest podcast until after I'd seen the film and Enoch's criticism that there are no long, sweeping left-handers at Monza also completely passed me by. Instead, I spotted strange details that nobody else in their right mind would have picked out; such as, the numberplate on Hunt's Mini, and at least one other British-registered road car in the film, used the narrow Charles Wright font that didn't exist until 2001. Why on earth would I spot that? This should explain why and how I can go into such minute detail over something so seemingly irrelevant. It's something I do, and I have no idea why.

My main distraction, probably due to knowing less about 1970s F1, was constantly trying to work out what year it was in the run-up to the 1976 season. The blue and white car that crashed into a barrier and presumably killed its driver - I'd have had to look that up, and with no access to Wikipedia in the cinema I couldn't. Even the caption that said it was Watkins Glen didn't give me a clue. Now that I find out that the car was a Tyrrell and the unfortunate driver was François Cevert, it makes sense. But wait... I'm now trying to remember if that scene was put in before or after Lauda started his career at BRM, where I was also trying to figure out the year. That was 1973 as well, which I only know now. And what wasn't mentioned at all in the cut from F3 in 1970 to Lauda's BRM drive was that he'd started in F1 in 1971 with a one-off drive in Austria (makes sense) and then had a nightmare 1972 with March with his first bank loan and then had to take out a second to secure the BRM drive. I suppose 1972 wasn't particularly relevant to the plot, so it was left out, but it added to my sense of "Where am I? What year is this? WHO'S THE PRESIDENT?" Equally, I'd convinced myself that the point where Hesketh Racing unveiled their new car was 1974 - only to find, now that I look at Hunt's pictures on Forix, that this was the 1975 livery. Hence, within the next few scenes, Lauda was the champ, and I was trying to remind myself that the title went to Emerson Fittipaldi in 1974...

If I had to pick out a moment where (had I not been in a cinema) I'd have shouted "spot on!" at the screen it's where the Hunts are wondering what to do at the end of the 1975 season, James is racing his Scalextric car, Peter tells him that Lotus think he's still far too crash-prone and he sends the car splattering into a barrier.

As for the characters, I'd repeat everything that's been said about Daniel Brühl - I could so easily have believed that was a young Niki Lauda who'd been taken through a time machine 40 years into the future to star in a film involving himself. He's got the voice absolutely nailed. I could equally believe that his burnt face wasn't make-up, and the intense pain from putting on his helmet again after only six weeks of recovery was genuine. A good word must also go in for Christian McKay, who nailed Alexander Hesketh just as well, from the real footage I've seen of him from several James Hunt documentaries and/or tributes, and - brief though it was, the leering Enzo Ferrari at the side of the track during Lauda's Ferrari test, looking ready to put a horse's head in The Rat's bed if he wasn't up to scratch. Good to see I wasn't the only one who noticed Simon Taylor - I recognised the voice from the post-Hunt BBC F1 years and some of the season reviews, but from those times he appeared on-screen I'd convinced myself he wasn't that old in the mid-1970s! I'm equally convinced that it was Dickie Davies giving the introduction to the Japanese Grand Prix at the end, as it had been in reality when ITV took the contract to show it (and used a crazily Oriental-stereotyped font in their presentation). Maybe that was the actual soundtrack from the programme dubbed in - does anyone know?

I've had a look on Amazon and I find the DVD & Blu-Ray release date is the 27th of January. There I was thinking a repeat performance might have been my festive viewing. Still, I suppose I can get it on pre-order when the extended part one of The Hobbit is released - either way, it'll make an excellent addition to my film collection, which isn't exactly huge, but I'm very selective in what I want to watch. The release date can't come soon enough.

And so I'd say, overall a round of rapturous applause is deserved.

One final, reject-tastic point. Others went looking for the multitude of reject cars that scored 1976 third place in the "Annus Horribilis" award on this site; I investigated the last years of BRM after finding out Lauda drove for them in 1973, but found it was before the blue and white livery. In turn I discovered one of the best looking cars of the 1970s - the 1977 Stanley-BRM P207 - which had an unfortunately foul racing record of one appearance, 12 seconds off the pace in qualifying, one racing lap, six failures to make the grid (despite being far closer to pole time that when the car made the grid). It's a pity it wasn't a more competitive car in a decade which was so painfully short on aesthetics.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote: I'd say I'm broadly in line with what dr-baker said.

:D Thank you!

dinizintheoven wrote:I've had a look on Amazon and I find the DVD & Blu-Ray release date is the 27th of January. There I was thinking a repeat performance might have been my festive viewing. Still, I suppose I can get it on pre-order when the extended part one of The Hobbit is released - either way, it'll make an excellent addition to my film collection, which isn't exactly huge, but I'm very selective in what I want to watch. The release date can't come soon enough.

I was beginning to wonder when this would be. At least there will not be the embarrassment I had a couple of years ago where my parents bought me a copy of Senna for Christmas after I had already bought myself a copy... Still, it'll be in time to buy it for my dad as a birthday present instead!
MCard LOLA
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

midgrid wrote:I still have a VHS player which is used solely to watch F1 season reviews from 1981 to 2002. :P

Same here. As well as many old F1 races which I don't have the time to convert to DVD.

Funny thing is despite having a HD TV, dolby surround sound & blueray player etc. I watch my old VHS's much more than I watch stuff on that!
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Leyton House

Post by Leyton House »

I too noticed they didn't cover the Silverstone controversy, likewise they omitted Hunt being DQ'd from qualifying in Monza. If not for a backmarker withdrawing Hunt would not have started the race at all. I believe they did this as both of these happened as the result of protests from Ferrari, the Monza one in particular being very dubious. I don't think they wanted to cast Ferrari (and therefore Lauda by association) in a bad light.
I can tell you that press conference on Lauda's return did happen, and a journalist really did ask that question. Hunt's reaction though is pure cinema. What I would have liked is for Niki to tell the journalist "If your marriage has survived your face, I'll be fine."
For what it's worth I loved the film. I had to restrain myself from yelling 'Go Niki!' as he fought back in Monza, doing that is the best way to get escorted out of a cinema I suspect....
I'm also unsure of whether it was Cevert's accident depicted at Watkins Glen. Cevert ended up on top of the barrier, it was Koinigg who went straight underneath as shown.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Leyton House wrote:I too noticed they didn't cover the Silverstone controversy, likewise they omitted Hunt being DQ'd from qualifying in Monza. If not for a backmarker withdrawing Hunt would not have started the race at all.

In fact, it's even funnier. Otto Stuppacher, who had originally not qualified for the Italian GP, was already on the way home when Hunt, Mass and Watson were DQ'd, which moved him up to 26nd in Qualifying. So Stuppacher was unable to take part in the race.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

pi314159 wrote:
Leyton House wrote:I too noticed they didn't cover the Silverstone controversy, likewise they omitted Hunt being DQ'd from qualifying in Monza. If not for a backmarker withdrawing Hunt would not have started the race at all.

In fact, it's even funnier. Otto Stuppacher, who had originally not qualified for the Italian GP, was already on the way home when Hunt, Mass and Watson were DQ'd, which moved him up to 26nd in Qualifying. So Stuppacher was unable to take part in the race.

I remember reading that in F1 Racing in 2009 and when he was 27 seconds off pole at the Glen it equated to 126% well outside the 107% time
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Leyton House wrote:I too noticed they didn't cover the Silverstone controversy,

Sorry to have to correct you, but it was Brands Hatch, not Silverstone. At Brands, in their Kentagon restaurant, they have a large photo canvas depicting the crash at Paddock Hill. I have seen it often enough, and familiar enough with the story behind it, to be sure of that. But with the GP nowadays always being at Silverstone, I can forgive the confusion. At least you didn't say Donnington!
MCard LOLA
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Finally I've got around to see Rush and i have to admit that I almost cried and almost threw up at the scenes of Lauda getting treated in the Hospital. Like some others I felt the commentary wasn't a patch on Murray Walker's commentary as it sounded like that guy who used to commentate on F3000. I felt like Chris Hemsworth sounded at David Croft at times in the early part of the film too but this film clearly lets us know that Hunt and Lauda were totally different people in the day
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

I just remembered. At the BAFTAS yesterday the Lauda actor Daniel Bruhl was nominated for Best Supporting Actor :shock: but he lost.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Like some others I felt the commentary wasn't a patch on Murray Walker's commentary as it sounded like that guy who used to commentate on F3000.

It is the guy who commentated on F3000 for ITV - Simon Taylor.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

eytl wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Like some others I felt the commentary wasn't a patch on Murray Walker's commentary as it sounded like that guy who used to commentate on F3000.

It is the guy who commentated on F3000 for ITV - Simon Taylor.

That's the one