2014 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Shizuka

Re: 2014 Silly Season Thread

Post by Shizuka »

kevinbotz wrote:Kevin Magnussen now reportedly a frontrunner for McLaren seat next year.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/magnu ... en-report/

Shouldn't they farm Magnussen out to Marussia, to get the basic grips of F1 in an environment where there is not much pressure? McLaren could be deep water for Kevin - the last time someone debuted at McLaren was Hamilton... who was part of the family for about a decade by then. And before? Hm... oh, Michael Andretti! (I'm not counting the one-off race of Kevin's dad)

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
mario

Post by mario »

Shizuka wrote:
kevinbotz wrote:Kevin Magnussen now reportedly a frontrunner for McLaren seat next year.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/magnu ... en-report/

Shouldn't they farm Magnussen out to Marussia, to get the basic grips of F1 in an environment where there is not much pressure? McLaren could be deep water for Kevin - the last time someone debuted at McLaren was Hamilton... who was part of the family for about a decade by then. And before? Hm... oh, Michael Andretti! (I'm not counting the one-off race of Kevin's dad)

The explanatory comment associated with that headline is a bit odd though - the fact that he is termed a "development driver" would indicate that he is being given a role as a third driver for the team, not being made a front line driver.
As the 2013 FR3.5 champion, he would be automatically eligible for an FIA Superlicence and could therefore race in F1 if desired, but I would have thought that the more likely scenario would have been to make him a test/reserve driver and sponsoring him to race in another series. It is what they have done with Vandoorne after all - he is being sponsored to race in GP2 - so a similar deal would make sense for Magnussen.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Harsh to dump Perez. Where will he go anyway? There's a seat shortage in F1.

So Perez didn't acclimatise to the car very quickly, but the car is the worst one McLaren ever started with, and development was almost non-existant. Sure they tried to develop but the only perceptible gain in performance came around India. And ironically Perez-San's 5th is the team's best result of the year.

Failing to adjust to the team quickly, Perez then upped his aggression in an attempt to wrestle a result oout of the car through sheer tenacity. The result was him banging wheels with Button, recieving an invitation to get his face punched from Kimi and a less than impressed team it seems. It was Whitless who demanded the mexican "get his elbows out" and since the car wasn't competitive, the only target was Button against whom Perez could compare himself. Monaco was a case of a desperate driver trying to get away with dangerous driving, but that's neither here nor there... he also suffered mechanical problems so his performance is impossible to judge.

My point is that aside being overaggresive under pressure, Perez really hasn't done much wrong. The car was shite. I almost hate Perez, so i'm not biased towards him in any way, i wouldn't mind seeing him out of F1, but fair is fair, he doesn't deserve to be dumped.

It's appaling that a driver is signed and lauded as a potential next-big-thing and then dicked around by not having his contract extended. If Perez ran over someone's dog in McLaren, he did so months ago. This scenario is only playing out now for political reasons, and to give McLaren more bargaining power in the driver market. His performance is roughly in the same neighbourhood as Button's and this one year is not enough to evaluate or decide to dump the guy.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Great summary. He needs a year in a McLaren of 2012 competitiveness and then we can judge how good he really is. I still like him.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

You can't really judge him on this season, he's not in the car that he could have expected to have performance wise. In much the same position as Bottas really, but no one is questioning that he deserves another year in F1.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

What's all the rumours of Magnussen joining McLaren? He hasn't had the results in the junior leagues to back up replacing Perez or Button. And besides, there's now conflicting reports that Perez will be signed to a 2014 contract shortly. Which is odd, since I thought Perez was already signed to a 2-year contract back last year. But who knows...

In all honesty, I think Magnussen has a chance of getting into Marussia with Chilton rumoured to join Caterham. Magnussen wouldn't do any harm racing for Marussia.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Aerospeed wrote:What's all the rumours of Magnussen joining McLaren? He hasn't had the results in the junior leagues to back up replacing Perez or Button.

WAT. Magnussen thrashed everyone in Formula Renault 3.5 by year's end. He was only off the podium in 4 races, 1 of which he won but was disqualified because of the paint on his DRS flap. And given how badly Perez has been thrashed by Button this year, I say why the hell not?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Salamander wrote:
Aerospeed wrote:What's all the rumours of Magnussen joining McLaren? He hasn't had the results in the junior leagues to back up replacing Perez or Button.

WAT. Magnussen thrashed everyone in Formula Renault 3.5 by year's end. He was only off the podium in 4 races, 1 of which he won but was disqualified because of the paint on his DRS flap. And given how badly Perez has been thrashed by Button this year, I say why the hell not?

Because one swallow doesn't make a summer. Magnussen has been less impressive than Vandoorne in his junior formula career. Also, Perez hasn't been thrashed by Button really he's outqualified him several times, and the fact that there's such a big points' gap is because he's lost his head in wheel-to-wheel duels at times.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Salamander wrote:

You can tell how much of that series I've been following this year :lol: Heck, I haven't been following much junior racing this year...

Seems as if Magnussen is looking good for a F1 drive in the near future - but I still think Perez and Button should stay on the basis of having consistency from last year. If there's anyone who needs replacing, it's Martin Whitmarsh... though just about everyone knows that by now,
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
OsellaFA1L

Post by OsellaFA1L »

I disagree with Salamander about Magnussen going straight to McLaren, while he is talented I think they are better off keeping Perez on for another year. The Mexican already has F1 experience and also is well connected with sponsors (Having Carlos Slim on your side is a big advantage).

And besides I have never really liked the idea of someone jumping straight into F1 with a top team.
RIP Jules Bianchi

Only Bernie could pay his way out of a bribery court case
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

OsellaFA1L wrote:I disagree with Salamander about Magnussen going straight to McLaren, while he is talented I think they are better off keeping Perez on for another year. The Mexican already has F1 experience and also is well connected with sponsors (Having Carlos Slim on your side is a big advantage).

And besides I have never really liked the idea of someone jumping straight into F1 with a top team.

McLaren aren't a top team. :cry: :P
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

wsrgo wrote:Because one swallow doesn't make a summer. Magnussen has been less impressive than Vandoorne in his junior formula career.

Except for the one year they went head-to-head, and were actually both competing in the same series. Hakkinen was less impressive than Coulthard from 1995-1997, but when it counted he beat him.

wsrgo wrote:Also, Perez hasn't been thrashed by Button really he's outqualified him several times, and the fact that there's such a big points' gap is because he's lost his head in wheel-to-wheel duels at times.

I don't care about the reasons - Button this year has been very lacking. If you're being scored nearly 2-1 by your teammate despite said teammate hardly being in the form of their career, that's being thrashed. All keeping Perez on for another year will do will allow McLaren to haemorrhage more points in the WCC. Now, Magnussen might do the next thing, but his results this year show he has nothing left to gain in junior series. Perez brings nothing but money to the table, and while that's nice, it's not like McLaren absolutely desperately need it at this point. My take is: What do McLaren have to lose by giving Kevin Magnussen a shot and seeing first hand, for themselves, how he works with the team?
Everything's great.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Salamander wrote:My take is: What do McLaren have to lose by giving Kevin Magnussen a shot and seeing first hand, for themselves, how he works with the team?

Not much. However, if I was them I'd be concerned about losing Perez and him going on to be mighty elsewhere.

It could happen.
Just For One Day...
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Salamander wrote:Perez brings nothing but money to the table, and while that's nice, it's not like McLaren absolutely desperately need it at this point.

Hmmm ... has McLaren announced a replacement title sponsor for Vodafone yet? I know Honda's coming in 2015 but, whilst all the attention is on Lotus' financial plight at the moment I wouldn't be surprised if McLaren are also making some commercially-oriented decisions.
Rusujuur

Post by Rusujuur »

eytl wrote:
Salamander wrote:Perez brings nothing but money to the table, and while that's nice, it's not like McLaren absolutely desperately need it at this point.

Hmmm ... has McLaren announced a replacement title sponsor for Vodafone yet? I know Honda's coming in 2015 but, whilst all the attention is on Lotus' financial plight at the moment I wouldn't be surprised if McLaren are also making some commercially-oriented decisions.

From what I understand their situation is secure, but much more, should we say, "optimized" compared to a few years ago when they had both Merc manufacturer status and Vodafone. They have additional income from making electronics components, gearboxes and such + many minor partners and sponsors in addition to Vodafone. So they can definetly play the longer game and wait for Honda BUT what I would like to know is how much money are Honda actually going to provide? Will they give their engines for free or will they even put a pile of money on the table. If not, then McLaren need a good sponsor to compete in the spending game.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Salamander wrote:
wsrgo wrote:Because one swallow doesn't make a summer. Magnussen has been less impressive than Vandoorne in his junior formula career.

Except for the one year they went head-to-head, and were actually both competing in the same series. Hakkinen was less impressive than Coulthard from 1995-1997, but when it counted he beat him.

You conveniently forgot that Vandoorne was racing in Formula Renault 2.0 last year, whereas Magnussen required two seasons between FR2.0 whence he did German F3 and British F3, and also did FR3.5 last year. The Dane has much more experience.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Salamander how can you say you don't care about reasons, that's not reasonable. Perez is still unproven but potentially good, Button is a very experienced, multiple GP winner, World Champion, and one of the gentlest drivers when it comes to tires, but it's the experience that made the diffrence in points. On pace alone Perez can match Button pretty well though Button has a slight edge. It's comparable to Sauber where Gutierrez can show his speed, but loses out in qualy and esp. in racing because Hulk simply knows better.

I belive McLaren will keep Perez for next year, and that this is their plan all along but they are considering their options rather unfairly. Compare Frank Williams who when asked about the possibility of luring Brawn next season replied: "I already have people working for me, so speculating on Brawn would unsettle my employees" or words to that effect. Whitless has no qualms unsettleing his drivers (though the deal may have been arranged away from the spotlight) which only makes it worse because Perez was under a lot of pressure to deliver this year and most of his errors stem from that. The car made it impossible as well.

Stats aren't everything. Button holds an edge to Perez (as he freaking should), but stats-wise Webber is the most destroyed man on the planet with Vettel single handedly winning the WCC... unless you only count races where both drivers actually finished. Mark's DNFs have nothing to do with his driving ability, they were all mechanical failures except the collision with Sutil for which Webber is 0% responsible.

A much funnier stat is the 100% team points scored record Maldonado holds over Bottas. When nothing breaks on his car Webber is about 1-2 tenths off Vettel + whatever time he loses to traffic because of his starts. Maldonado is struggleing to hold his own against Bottas and often failing, and Pastor is more experienced and a race winner. So much for that 100% stat...

Magnussen probably goes to Marussia and Chilton to Caterham. Wonder who get's the axe at Claterham though? Pic is reliably slow but with rather deep pockets, and vDG is temperamental and poor. There was apparently a roundtable discussion during the Abu Dhabi GP involving the team wall and both drivers. The subject was Pic letting vDG through, and Pic wondered exactly why he should do that. It went on a while and then Pic moved aside. Could that be sign? Also Chilton, that idiot and vDG, that grumpy Dutchman are the most explosive and best driver pairing possibility for 2014. Forget Ferrari...
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

The Father in law from Giedo is actually a miljardair he's the owner of TW Steel, McGregor etc etc.
As far as i know he will buy the stocks from Toto at Williams.

But Giedo is Giedo.....
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

wsrgo wrote:
Salamander wrote:

You conveniently forgot that Vandoorne was racing in Formula Renault 2.0 last year, whereas Magnussen required two seasons between FR2.0 whence he did German F3 and British F3, and also did FR3.5 last year. The Dane has much more experience.

No, I didn't forget. The point is Magnussen is better than Vandoorne at this moment in time. Magnussen is ready for Formula 1. Vandoorne is not, hence why it is already known that he is going to GP2 next year. End of story.
Everything's great.
girry

Post by girry »

I think this 'omg-we-have-super-junior-driver-who-has-3-seasons-of-single-seater-experience LET'S PUT HIM IN THE CAR NOW' phenomenon may be blamed on Vettel and Hamilton....they were successful straight from their first season so every team leader now wants to find their Sebastian or their Lewis...I'd argue that doesn't do good for f1 :roll:
when you're dead people start listening
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

giraurd wrote:I think this 'omg-we-have-super-junior-driver-who-has-3-seasons-of-single-seater-experience LET'S PUT HIM IN THE CAR NOW' phenomenon may be blamed on Vettel and Hamilton....they were successful straight from their first season so every team leader now wants to find their Sebastian or their Lewis...I'd argue that doesn't do good for f1 :roll:

Magnussen has 6 years of experience, two of those in FR3.5. I'm not saying he's ready for F1 lightly.

Sublime_FA11C wrote:Salamander how can you say you don't care about reasons, that's not reasonable. Perez is still unproven but potentially good, Button is a very experienced, multiple GP winner, World Champion, and one of the gentlest drivers when it comes to tires, but it's the experience that made the diffrence in points. On pace alone Perez can match Button pretty well though Button has a slight edge. It's comparable to Sauber where Gutierrez can show his speed, but loses out in qualy and esp. in racing because Hulk simply knows better.

Clearly you didn't read the rest of my post, where I said that Button has very clearly been far from the top of his game, and is still beating Perez very handily. He might be a winner and a champion, but in terms of one lap pace, Button is not your man. He will only ever get a pole when he has a very comfortable pace advatange over everyone else, as evidenced by the fact that, since his winning streak for Brawn ended, he has scored a grand total of 1 pole position, and that on a weekend where he was - you guessed it - miles ahead of everyone else. Even in 2011, when Button was clearly better than Hamilton over the course of the season, he lost in qualifying 13-6. Perez matching Button over 1 lap is hardly proof that he belongs at McLaren. And as I've said before, this is hardly a vintage year for Jenson Button. I mean, just look at Abu Dhabi, where he locked up and took his front wing off on the first corner.

Whitless has no qualms unsettleing his drivers (though the deal may have been arranged away from the spotlight) which only makes it worse because Perez was under a lot of pressure to deliver this year and most of his errors stem from that.

If the reason why Perez has been destroyed by Button is because he can't handle the pressure of being at McLaren, then that's just more proof that he doesn't deserve the seat.

Stats aren't everything. Button holds an edge to Perez (as he freaking should), but stats-wise Webber is the most destroyed man on the planet with Vettel single handedly winning the WCC... unless you only count races where both drivers actually finished. Mark's DNFs have nothing to do with his driving ability, they were all mechanical failures except the collision with Sutil for which Webber is 0% responsible.

Please explain more clearly how Webber's many DNFs and technical failures mean that Perez (who has only had two such failures by my count) deserves to stay at McLaren.

A much funnier stat is the 100% team points scored record Maldonado holds over Bottas. When nothing breaks on his car Webber is about 1-2 tenths off Vettel + whatever time he loses to traffic because of his starts. Maldonado is struggleing to hold his own against Bottas and often failing, and Pastor is more experienced and a race winner. So much for that 100% stat...

Please explain how the situation between Maldonado and Bottas is comparable to the situation between Button and Perez.
Everything's great.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Salamander wrote:
wsrgo wrote:
Salamander wrote:

No, I didn't forget. The point is Magnussen is better than Vandoorne at this moment in time. Magnussen is ready for Formula 1. Vandoorne is not, hence why it is already known that he is going to GP2 next year. End of story.

It is not known what Vandoorne will do next year, he himself said yesterday he might well do WSR again. And that's a wise decision, given how difficult it is for a rookie nowadays to get results in GP2. Of course, there'll be enormous pressure on him to win the title, but if he combines a full-time testing role with that, he'll have an excuse at least.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

wsrgo wrote:
Salamander wrote:No, I didn't forget. The point is Magnussen is better than Vandoorne at this moment in time. Magnussen is ready for Formula 1. Vandoorne is not, hence why it is already known that he is going to GP2 next year. End of story.

It is not known what Vandoorne will do next year, he himself said yesterday he might well do WSR again. And that's a wise decision, given how difficult it is for a rookie nowadays to get results in GP2. Of course, there'll be enormous pressure on him to win the title, but if he combines a full-time testing role with that, he'll have an excuse at least.

Either way, Vandoorne is not going to F1 next year.
Everything's great.
mario

Post by mario »

Rusujuur wrote:
eytl wrote:

From what I understand their situation is secure, but much more, should we say, "optimized" compared to a few years ago when they had both Merc manufacturer status and Vodafone. They have additional income from making electronics components, gearboxes and such + many minor partners and sponsors in addition to Vodafone. So they can definetly play the longer game and wait for Honda BUT what I would like to know is how much money are Honda actually going to provide? Will they give their engines for free or will they even put a pile of money on the table. If not, then McLaren need a good sponsor to compete in the spending game.

To expand on the finances of McLaren, when McLaren Racing filed their accounts back in October, it transpired that they recorded a loss of £3.1 million for the 2012 financial year (compared to a £22.3 million profit for the 2011 financial year). http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/10/02/mcla ... -for-2012/

The notes from that report mentioned that turnover was down from £172.3m to £165.7m due to Daimler withdrawing its support, whilst "due to increased driver costs, racing at more events and the increased travel, as well as the associated costs of conducting wind tunnel testing away from the company’s headquarters.”, costs had risen by £24 million in the same period.
Now, the increased wind tunnel testing outside of the headquarters is presumably testing done by Toyota Motorsport Group, whilst the increased travel costs is pretty self explanatory given that the addition of Austin to the calendar in 2012. What is interesting is the reference to increased driver costs - I would assume that, since Hamilton had a relatively poor season in 2011, his wages are unlikely to have been higher in 2012 and may have even fallen back slightly if he failed to hit certain criteria for success bonuses. Might Button have seen his wages rise in 2012 as a result of his relatively strong 2011 season?

As to the final comment about financially motivated decisions, well, McLaren's accounts do explicitly note that the deal with Honda is expected to "transform their business model", implying that Honda might be taking a more active role than just supplying the team with engines. As to a new title sponsor, they have not yet named their partner, only saying that they are "well into their search" for a new sponsor to replace Vodafone.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

f1-gast wrote:The Father in law from Giedo is actually a miljardair he's the owner of TW Steel, McGregor etc etc.

But Giedo is Giedo.....

Oh lol, i didn't know he was loaded. I just wrote "poor" as compared to Pic or Chilton since they are in their seats because money. Not that they deserve a kicking for it. Given how bad the machinery is, even talented drivers would acomplish little more than anonimous experience farming.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:
f1-gast wrote:The Father in law from Giedo is actually a miljardair he's the owner of TW Steel, McGregor etc etc.

But Giedo is Giedo.....

Oh lol, i didn't know he was loaded. I just wrote "poor" as compared to Pic or Chilton since they are in their seats because money. Not that they deserve a kicking for it. Given how bad the machinery is, even talented drivers would acomplish little more than anonimous experience farming.

I don't rate or like Giedo, but I sort of hope he stays in F1 as some of his driving has been quite amusing.

Also, I do agree that Magnussen is ready for F1, but not with McLaren. I would give him a year at a lower team so he can prove if he is the real deal or just a repeat of his father.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

I know it is a Benson article but McLaren are seriously considering Magnussen for 2014. The article seems to be criticising Perez at every angle but I agree with the comments.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

watka wrote:You can't really judge him on this season, he's not in the car that he could have expected to have performance wise. In much the same position as Bottas really, but no one is questioning that he deserves another year in F1.

Major Premise: Maldonado doesn't deserve to be in F1. Is only there because of money.
Minor Premise: Bottas is worse than Maldonado race wise (4-9).
Conclusion: Bottas doesn't deserve to be in F1.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

eurobrun wrote:Also, I do agree that Magnussen is ready for F1, but not with McLaren. I would give him a year at a lower team so he can prove if he is the real deal or just a repeat of his father.

And what better place to evalutate him than at McLaren? He can do wonders for Force India or Marussia, but that could still just mean he's another Giancarlo Fisichella. And it's not like McLaren will definately be contending for titles next year - for all their talk, they are going to have 2015 in mind at every stage of the year.
Everything's great.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Salamander wrote:
eurobrun wrote:Also, I do agree that Magnussen is ready for F1, but not with McLaren. I would give him a year at a lower team so he can prove if he is the real deal or just a repeat of his father.

And what better place to evalutate him than at McLaren? He can do wonders for Force India or Marussia, but that could still just mean he's another Giancarlo Fisichella. And it's not like McLaren will definately be contending for titles next year - for all their talk, they are going to have 2015 in mind at every stage of the year.

And yet, if he struggles and makes some rookie errors, they will be magnified because he will be near the front of the grid. That could spell an undeserved early doom.

mario

Post by mario »

wsrgo wrote:
Salamander wrote:

And yet, if he struggles and makes some rookie errors, they will be magnified because he will be near the front of the grid. That could spell an undeserved early doom.

Exactly - being in a major team gives you an opportunity to showcase your skills, but also means that the expectations of those drivers is considerably higher than in the midfield. Look at Red Bull stating that Ricciardo is expected to challenge Vettel within the first half of the 2014 season, for an example of the sort of expectations that he would face - if Magnussen drove for McLaren and McLaren could produce a competitive car, he would be expected to challenge for podiums and wins on a regular basis, or perhaps even the WDC, right from the very beginning of his career.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Benson seems to constantly have it in for Perez, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to the BBC here. Whitmarsh should be the one being fired, not Perez.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

LellaLombardi wrote:Benson seems to constantly have it in for Perez, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to the BBC here. Whitmarsh should be the one being fired, not Perez.

I agree with this statement. Pérez is thrown into a top team only 3 years into his F1 career. Is he expected to do well? Yes. But the car is shite, his talent is hidden, and Whitmarsh is partially to blame for his ragged driving by telling him to race harder.

Salamander wrote:

There is a better place to do it, Force India. Hamilton was a rare exception to the rule, that doesn't mean Magnussen is one too, as much as I hate to say it, as he is surely a future champion. McLaren should put Magnussen in the Force India car, keep Pérez, and if Pérez does nothing good, he gets fired, and Magnussen takes his place if he's decent. That is close to the ideal scenario in my opinion. Because after a season of the tannery, he gets the full force and then he will prove himself. I mean, I want to see Magnussen in F1 next year, but not at McLaren, like eurobrun has said, and mario's response to wsrgo's quote.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

wsrgo wrote:And yet, if he struggles and makes some rookie errors, they will be magnified because he will be near the front of the grid. That could spell an undeserved early doom.
mario wrote:Exactly - being in a major team gives you an opportunity to showcase your skills, but also means that the expectations of those drivers is considerably higher than in the midfield. Look at Red Bull stating that Ricciardo is expected to challenge Vettel within the first half of the 2014 season, for an example of the sort of expectations that he would face - if Magnussen drove for McLaren and McLaren could produce a competitive car, he would be expected to challenge for podiums and wins on a regular basis, or perhaps even the WDC, right from the very beginning of his career.
go_Rubens wrote:There is a better place to do it, Force India. Hamilton was a rare exception to the rule, that doesn't mean Magnussen is one too, as much as I hate to say it, as he is surely a future champion. McLaren should put Magnussen in the Force India car, keep Pérez, and if Pérez does nothing good, he gets fired, and Magnussen takes his place if he's decent. That is close to the ideal scenario in my opinion. Because after a season of the tannery, he gets the full force and then he will prove himself. I mean, I want to see Magnussen in F1 next year, but not at McLaren, like eurobrun has said, and mario's response to wsrgo's quote.

You're all assuming next year's McLaren will be championship-calibre. But even if it is, the incredible consistency that Magnussen has displayed in FR3.5 suggests, at least to me, that he can cope with this pressure. 9 consecutive on-the-road podium finishes, finished every race and only one outside the points, only 2 lower than 4th... Vandoorne was putting him under heavy pressure by the mid-point of the season, but it didn't faze Magnussen one bit.

You can say all you like about Whitmarsh telling Perez to race harder - but at the end of the day, he's the one driving the car, and he's the one who is putting the car in troublesome situations.
Everything's great.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

DanielPT wrote:
watka wrote:You can't really judge him on this season, he's not in the car that he could have expected to have performance wise. In much the same position as Bottas really, but no one is questioning that he deserves another year in F1.

Major Premise: Maldonado doesn't deserve to be in F1. Is only there because of money.
Minor Premise: Bottas is worse than Maldonado race wise (4-9).
Conclusion: Bottas doesn't deserve to be in F1.

By the same logic, Hulkenberg doesn't deserve to be in F1 due to his first year at Williams.

Interesting thing in Benson's article with Whitmarsh quoted as saying, "Kevin has had two runs in an F1 car. In Abu Dhabi on his third flying lap, he did a time that was good enough for sixth on the grid, which is pretty impressive." If that's true then that is indeed impressive and coupled with his other testing performances he does perhaps deserve an F1 drive and I can understand why McLaren might be thinking of taking a gamble. It would still be very harsh on Perez though.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Rusujuur

Post by Rusujuur »

Mika Salo has lost his mind and claims that Kimi will drive for Sauber in Austin while Hulk will drive for Lotus.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

watka wrote:By the same logic, Hulkenberg doesn't deserve to be in F1 due to his first year at Williams.

Not quite since the major premise would be false for Hulkenberg. Barrichello deserved to stay in F1 and much more people defended that than Maldonado's case. By the way, I think Maldonado actually deserves to be on F1 on merit. He is quite the racer but people tend to forget that due to the armoured truck filled of cash that accompanies him all the time and his crash prone driving.

watka wrote:
Interesting thing in Benson's article with Whitmarsh quoted as saying, "Kevin has had two runs in an F1 car. In Abu Dhabi on his third flying lap, he did a time that was good enough for sixth on the grid, which is pretty impressive." If that's true then that is indeed impressive and coupled with his other testing performances he does perhaps deserve an F1 drive and I can understand why McLaren might be thinking of taking a gamble. It would still be very harsh on Perez though.

It would. Specially since Kovalainen, the weakest Mclaren driver in recent times, had two years to prove that a top drive was beyond his capabilities. I am still pretty excited about Magnussen for his reject ancestors and his renown speed. I would like him to avenge his father success wise. I want him to have a shot at F1 at some team other than McLaren. A learning year.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

I think unless a driver has been truly, truly rejectful - and Perez certainly hasn't been - they should be allowed two years at a team before being binned for underperforming. Using McLaren's logic here, Hamilton should have been fired for 2011.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

LellaLombardi wrote:I think unless a driver has been truly, truly rejectful - and Perez certainly hasn't been - they should be allowed two years at a team before being binned for underperforming. Using McLaren's logic here, Hamilton should have been fired for 2011.

Hamilton won three races in both 2010 and 2011. Perez hasnt won any. The comparison doesnt really stack up.
Just For One Day...
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

CoopsII wrote:
LellaLombardi wrote:I think unless a driver has been truly, truly rejectful - and Perez certainly hasn't been - they should be allowed two years at a team before being binned for underperforming. Using McLaren's logic here, Hamilton should have been fired for 2011.

Hamilton won three races in both 2010 and 2011. Perez hasnt won any. The comparison doesnt really stack up.

Yes it does because Perez would have won 3 races if he had a decent car to drive.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!