2014 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Jocke1

Re: 2014 Silly Season Thread

Post by Jocke1 »

Rusujuur wrote: Currently I would say that Hulk should remain in Sauber as there seems to be money coming in for Sauber and he would retain his team leader status.

Hulkenberg 'not paid a penny' - Vettel
Sebastian Vettel claims that Nico Hulkenberg has not been paid at all in 2013.

Nov.3 (GMM) Hanging onto his Sauber seat is perhaps now Nico Hulkenberg's only chance of staying in Formula One beyond 2013.

Almost signed by Ferrari, and earlier linked to McLaren, the German has also come close to a move to Lotus for 2014.

The latter option now appears off the table, as the Enstone based team's finances falter and bosses look to the lucratively-backed Pastor Maldonado to plug the budget hole.

"Every career is different," Hulkenberg told F1's official website on Saturday, "and mine seems to be as it is now with a few different teams, with a bit of movement, with a bit of nail biting."

Indeed, after capturing pole in the 2010 finale as a rookie, Williams let Hulkenberg go -- again because of Maldonado's millions.

"It definitely was a bad experience," he recalled, "how it all happened.

"Of course you then have that in the back of your mind and get more suspicious of what people tell you because I have been lied to, to my face."

Hulkenberg sat out 2011 as Force India's reserve driver, and returned to the grid last year. He then moved to Sauber for 2013, and to this date Force India still owes him money, according to the Swiss newspaper Blick.

The Sauber story hasn't been much better for Hulkenberg, despite several occasions when his undoubted talent was able to shine through.

World champion and countryman Sebastian Vettel said it is a travesty Hulkenberg is yet again waiting to be paid.

"It's a shame he doesn't have a car (for 2014) yet," Vettel is quoted by DPA news agency, "because he is one of the fastest drivers in the field.

"It's a difficult time for some teams in F1," he added, "but also for some drivers. He (Hulkenberg) is yet to get a penny," Vettel claimed.

Monisha Kaltenborn, Sauber team boss, refused to comment on Vettel's assertion that Hulkenberg has not been paid at all in 2013.

"I do not feel compelled to comment on everything that is said in the paddock," she insisted.

The fact that Hulkenberg and Sauber do not want to get into a Raikkonen-Lotus-style spat could be a sign that the relationship will continue into 2014.

Hulkenberg confirmed that is a possibility.

"Yes," he said when asked if he can imagine staying at the Swiss team. And "I think so," the 26-year-old added when asked if Sauber can imagine keeping him.

"Why not? For now we are having a good go. The spirit is up."

-*:-
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Jocke1 wrote:Will we ever see a New Jersey GP?

Hopefully not.

Shame out Mexico, I was looking forward to seeing F1 return there.
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

I was hoping for a New Jersey GP. The circuit actually looked interesting. On top of that, NBCSN did speak to one of the organizers and they said the race was still on, so who knows at this point.

As for Mexico, I would've liked to see that too but doesn't Hermanos Rodríguez need a lot of work (since I assume they're racing there) to get it up to par?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Mexicola wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:Will we ever see a New Jersey GP?

Hopefully not.

They haven't even turned a lap there FFS. :|
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Salamander wrote:They haven't even turned a lap there FFS. :|

I don't really care. Circuit doesn't look interesting and the majority of these new circuits turn out to be awful. So please forgive my cynicism at this juncture.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Mexicola wrote:
Salamander wrote:They haven't even turned a lap there FFS. :|

I don't really care. Circuit doesn't look interesting and the majority of these new circuits turn out to be awful. So please forgive my cynicism at this juncture.

Doesn't make it less absurd. I, for one, think the track looks great, and I can't wait for it to finally host a GP.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

If that's true re: Hulk and Sauber then good for him. Staying in F1, even if unpaid, is a smart move and he could be doing a lot worse than Sauber.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Looking like my New Jersey prediction (and avatar challenge) might just be right...
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

watka wrote:Looking like my New Jersey prediction (and avatar challenge) might just be right...

Was it me who placed the bet with you on that one because I don't know?
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

roblomas52 wrote:
watka wrote:Looking like my New Jersey prediction (and avatar challenge) might just be right...

Yes, I believe it was :D
Rusujuur

Post by Rusujuur »

So, lets have a quick look at the teams finances:

Red Bull, Ferrari, Merc - Strong
McLaren, Toro Rosso - Strongish
FI, Caterham, Marussia - Wierd
Williams, Sauber, Lotus - Weak

We used to have a situation where the teams were having a tobacco backing that made life easy. That was banned, but at the same time the manufacturers came in and saved the top(ish) teams and there was still enough sponsors to go around to keep everybody in play. Now after the economic slump things have really turned wierd.

I feel that only Ferrari and Red Bull are able to attract enough sponsorship to operate at a good level. Ferrari because they are Ferrari and Red bull because they are winning everything. FI, Caterham, Toro Rosso and Lotus are backed by their owners to no real end really. Only Caterham have anything to do with cars but I doubt that, all things being equal, the team is worth it from a marketing position. I don't know about Marussia but I guess the same thing stands for them as well. Mercedes is the only manufacturer left, so they are the odd ones out, but maybe McLaren will join them with Honda. Williams and Sauber are the only classic racing privateers left, but they are in trouble aren't they? Out of all of them Williams and McLaren are the only ones who are making money on F1 as a business and Ferrari & Caterham + maybe Marussia have benefits.

If the two privateers fail and the wealthy backers of some others lose interest we are in for a rude awakening...

If we look at the driver market then the ones who are financially secure are also the only ones who have confirmed drivers and drivers who are there because of their talent, not money. The rest are stalling and looking for more, well, money...

That is a dangerous situation, we only need to look at WRC to see where this is going. Another thing is also the young drivers. Do you really want your kid to go into motorracing if the only way to advance is doing a Räikkönen/Vettel and be a prodigy, hooking up with a programme that kills you if you fail even once or have have truckload of money... Better do something else, nordic skiing anyone?
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

watka wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:

What Avatar do you want me to ware in forfit? :oops:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

And it looks like Hulk to Lotus is indeed going ahead.

Inb4 Vince Russo-esque swerve from Enstone. :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Autosport wrote:he has fairly long [career] life span ahead of him.

Did that really need to be clarified?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

roblomas52 wrote:
watka wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:Was it me who placed the bet with you on that one because I don't know?

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

East Londoner wrote:And it looks like Hulk to Lotus is indeed going ahead.

Lotus's one chance to sign someone exciting and they blow it. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

What?

Hülkenberg is a good driver, and exciting to watch. He's far more impressive than the glass of milk and deserves a shot at a better team. Putting Ginsters in the Lotus is just asking for trouble. We basically only want that to happen f0r the lulz.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Ataxia wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:
watka wrote:Yes, I believe it was :D

I thought Watka had to pick it because he won?
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Hulk and Grosjean should be a very exciting pairing to watch.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

I hope the Lotus is good enough to show off the Hulk's talents next season. He deserves a chance, and I hope he's not just going to be the next Nick Heidfeld.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

roblomas52 wrote:
Ataxia wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:What Avatar do you want me to ware in forfit? :oops:

I thought Watka had to pick it because he won?

Yes, I do. But that's not a bad shout Ataxia! :lol:

Anyway, I haven't won yet. Only when it gets formally wiped from the calendar. I did have an "Keep Calm and Love Vettel" avatar in mind but it looked horrible when downsized, so I'll have to think of another one as and when the time arrives.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Regarding the Hulkenberg situation, following the events of the past two weeks, I'm not taking anything for granted until the contract is signed, made public etc etc. At this rate, I'm half expecting Chilton to come in out the blue and nab the second seat.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Regarding the Hulkenberg situation, following the events of the past two weeks, I'm not taking anything for granted until the contract is signed, made public etc etc. At this rate, I'm half expecting Chilton to come in out the blue and nab the second seat.

Well, Max has broken the record for most races finished in a rookie season. Lotus, give him the seat. Now.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

go_Rubens wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:Regarding the Hulkenberg situation, following the events of the past two weeks, I'm not taking anything for granted until the contract is signed, made public etc etc. At this rate, I'm half expecting Chilton to come in out the blue and nab the second seat.

Well, Max has broken the record for most races finished in a rookie season. Lotus, give him the seat. Now.

Messrs Montiero and di Resta would like a word with you.

(Max actually holds the record for 'most consecutive finishes from start of career'. If he were to finish every race this year, then he would take the record for most finishes in a rookie season.)
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Ben Gilbert wrote:Max actually holds the record for 'most consecutive finishes from start of career'. If he were to finish every race this year, then he would take the record for most finishes in a rookie season.

And be the first and only driver to finish every race in his rookie season. Unless something breaks on his car and he slams into the turn 3 wall at Interlagos on lap 36 backwards with the rear suspension and wing broken.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
UncreativeUsername37

good_Ralf wrote:
Ben Gilbert wrote:Max actually holds the record for 'most consecutive finishes from start of career'. If he were to finish every race this year, then he would take the record for most finishes in a rookie season.

And be the first and only driver to finish every race in his rookie season. Unless something breaks on his car and he slams into the turn 3 wall at Interlagos on lap 36 backwards with the rear suspension and wing broken.

Okay, Wizzie, how many bonus points is this if he gets it right?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Okay, Wizzie, how many bonus points is this if he gets it right?

I copied the details of Kovalainen's 2007 crash.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
UncreativeUsername37

good_Ralf wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Okay, Wizzie, how many bonus points is this if he gets it right?

I copied the details of Kovalainen's 2007 crash.

It's still just as improbable.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, this dire season has FINALLY delivered some good news!
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Oh, I haven't made my comment on this yet. Yes. Yes! YESSS!!!

If it does happen, but I'm pretty sure it will.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

SgtPepper wrote:

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, this dire season has FINALLY delivered some good news!

If it's true, then I can do a better dance then that. (I summon the Nic Cage.)

Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:

Okay, Wizzie, how many bonus points is this if he gets it right?

8.367 points. No more, no less.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
OsellaFA1L

Post by OsellaFA1L »

Well, Kevin Magnussen has pulled out of the GP2 test, the team seemed to think he had a possible F1 drive lined up. Thoughts?
RIP Jules Bianchi

Only Bernie could pay his way out of a bribery court case
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

<off-topic>

Is it just me, or does Ms Watson bear a resemblance in that gif above to one Ms Stoddart/Wolff?

Aha, dr baker, all is explained!

</off-topic><on topic>

OsellaFA1L, that was my immediate thought as well. But where?
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Kevin Magnussen now reportedly a frontrunner for McLaren seat next year.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/magnu ... en-report/
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

kevinbotz wrote:Kevin Magnussen now reportedly a frontrunner for McLaren seat next year.

Even if he drives for Force India, he will be doing a better job than what his dad ever did :lol:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

kevinbotz wrote:Kevin Magnussen now reportedly a frontrunner for McLaren seat next year.

That's odd because autosport think Perez is near to staying on next year

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111146
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

DOSBoot wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:

If it's true, then I can do a better dance then that. (I summon the Nic Cage.)

Dances ain't enough, man. You need this:

It's General Dictator M. Bison (Vega if you insist on Japanese boss names) at your service, responding to the news of Hulk to Lotus... if it's true. ;)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

eytl wrote:<off-topic>

Is it just me, or does Ms Watson bear a resemblance in that gif above to one Ms Stoddart/Wolff?

Aha, dr baker, all is explained!

</off-topic>

Funnily enough, I was trying to figure out myself when I saw that!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA