What If?

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
AdrianSutil

Re: What If?

Post by AdrianSutil »

mario wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:What if they let every team in for 2010 and brought back pre-qualifying for it?

So off the top of my head, we would have:

Lotus/Caterham
Virgin/Marussia
Hispania/HRT
USF1
Epsilon Esukadi (I think)
Coloni (I think)
Stefan GP
I know there's others

USF1 would fail, we all know that. Esukadi I think are now in receivership so they probably would've struggled too. Coloni? Might be ok. Stefan GP would be for 'teh lulz'.

Stefan probably couldn't have fielded a team even if he wanted to (whilst he claimed that he'd bought Toyota's old parts and cars, I believe that Toyota said they'd only sold him a few old bits of equipment) - as for Coloni, I can't find a reference to an actual entry being submitted (it might just have been an expression of interest - Wurz's Team Superfund proposal fits into that category, as he never actually submitted a formal entry). Epsilon Euskadi were an official reserve team at the time, but USF1's withdrawal was too late for them to take advantage of it and their bid in 2011 was turned down because the team was judged to be financially unsound (they were declared bankrupt a few years ago - possibly even in 2011 - so they probably would have struggled to even last a season in F1).

Most of the other proposals were effectively just paper entrants, such as the proposal to revive the Brabham marque, which looked more like a third party hoping to make a quick buck by snapping up an old famous team name (until the Brabham family stepped in). The only entrants that might have put together a credible package might have been Prodrive and Lola - Lola did at least have a wind tunnel model under development, whilst Prodrive was looking to revive it's original plans for linking up with McLaren (although that would have been on a partnership basis, as is the case with Force India and McLaren, rather than as a customer team, mainly due to Williams's objections).

Yeah I think there were quite a few 'paper entires' as you say, and I was adding them to my list. But I had forgotten a few of them as it was just off the top of my head. I included Coloni because I did hear a rumour but it was just a rumour. Like you say, the only decent entires were Lola and Prodrive. Shame really, Formula 1 should have an entry fee of about $10-15 million and if you pay that at the beginning of say, 2014, your allowed in for 2015. Simple as that.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

CoopsII wrote:This has probably been covered but What If Johnny Herbert hadnt had his career defining accident in F3000? Could he really have been as great as many people thought at the time?

He'd have done a lot better at Benetton in 1989, and stayed the whole season.

Consequently, Emanuele Pirro would probably be profiled on this site.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

What if Mad Uncle Tom Walkinshaw had been able to successfully buy Ligier from Flavio Briatore during the mid 90s, instead of buying Arrows?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Wizzie wrote:What if Mad Uncle Tom Walkinshaw had been able to successfully buy Ligier from Flavio Briatore during the mid 90s, instead of buying Arrows?

There may have been some flashes of brilliance on track, but not much more.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

go_Rubens wrote:
Wizzie wrote:What if Mad Uncle Tom Walkinshaw had been able to successfully buy Ligier from Flavio Briatore during the mid 90s, instead of buying Arrows?

There may have been some flashes of brilliance on track, but not much more.

Then what if Damon Hill got signed by Ligier for 1997?
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

good_Ralf wrote:Then what if Damon Hill got signed by Ligier for 1997?

No Panis then. The Mugen engine deal required Prost to put Nakano into the second car. This brings up the question where Panis would have gone to.

Hill would have finished third in the drivers' with around 40 points, (this includes Schumacher, mind you) but not having a real shot at the title. However, after Sir Frank Williams sees his ex-pilot beating Frentzen in the WDC, HHF gets the boot and goes to Jordan in 1998.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

What if Nico Rosberg didn't get taken out of the Italian Grand Prix in 2011 (He was on the Medium Tire to start with)
What If Alan Partridge Commentated on F1 instead of Murray Walker
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:What If Alan Partridge Commentated on F1 instead of Murray Walker

If he commentated on BBC TV, I would watch with the volume off and listen to BBC Radio 5 commentary. If he were on the radio, I would stick to the TV commentary. Simple!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:What if Nico Rosberg didn't get taken out of the Italian Grand Prix in 2011 (He was on the Medium Tire to start with)

He would have been in the whereabouts of Hamilton and Schumacher, but in no real place to challenge for the win or the podium.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

What if the old point system was still in use in 2003, so Jordan had ended up 6th and not 9th in the Constructor champ. Would that have changed the fate for the yellow warriors?
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Myrvold wrote:What if the old point system was still in use in 2003, so Jordan had ended up 6th and not 9th in the Constructor champ. Would that have changed the fate for the yellow warriors?

They would've ended up 5th not 6th.

Jordan 10
Sauber 9
BAR 9
Toyota 4
Jaguar 3
Minardi 0
I like the way Snrub thinks!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

FullMetalJack wrote:
Myrvold wrote:What if the old point system was still in use in 2003, so Jordan had ended up 6th and not 9th in the Constructor champ. Would that have changed the fate for the yellow warriors?

Jordan 10
Sauber 9
BAR 9
Toyota 4
Jaguar 3
Minardi 0

And they would have scored 0 points in 2004.

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

good_Ralf wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:

Jordan 10
Sauber 9
BAR 9
Toyota 4
Jaguar 3
Minardi 0

And they would have scored 0 points in 2004.

Toyota would have scored only 3 and Jaguar would have only scored 2
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

What if Marcel Albers hadn't been killed?
Trump 2016
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Since prize money is only awarded 1 year after a season's end, if I'm not mistaken (so Jordan gets more prize money at the end of 2004), then I don't think so. They might have lasted until the end of '06, but Eddie would have sold the team anyway to Midland, which would eventually morph into today's Force India considering Midland was a complete and utter joke.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

What if Jean-Pierre Van Rossem didn't grow tired with F1 and continued to sponsor Onyx with Moneytron in 1990?

Yes, I know he got arrested for tax evasion in 1991.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:What if Jean-Pierre Van Rossem didn't grow tired with F1 and continued to sponsor Onyx with Moneytron in 1990?

Would probably give him some time to find someone decent investor to buy the team instead of Peter Monteverdi, which might kept the team alive until mid nineties.
But the reality is that he didn't actually have the money for 1989 to begin with, he just made others to pay for his adventures. Took a while for people to realise he was a fraud, despite his flamboyant image, so a clever guy. And was defenitly one of the most epic looking team-bosses in F1 history.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

This wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:What if Jean-Pierre Van Rossem didn't grow tired with F1 and continued to sponsor Onyx with Moneytron in 1990?

Would probably give him some time to find someone decent investor to buy the team instead of Peter Monteverdi, which might kept the team alive until mid nineties.
But the reality is that he didn't actually have the money for 1989 to begin with, he just made others to pay for his adventures. Took a while for people to realise he was a fraud, despite his flamboyant image, so a clever guy. And was defenitly one of the most epic looking team-bosses in F1 history.

And the fraud that made Andrea Sasetti of Andrea Moda look well small time.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
This wrote:

And the fraud that made Andrea Sasetti of Andrea Moda look well small time.

I heard van Rossem has an autobiography, I imagine that is a very interesting read.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Was thinking about this last night when racing the 1967 Ferrari P4 330 against a Ford GT40 at Spa on GT5.

What if Ford had brought Ferrari (including their F1 team) in the 1960's?

F1 would have been massively different without Ferrari in the proceeding years. Also wondering what kind of implications this may have had on the Cosworth engine? Like would it have still been built in 1967 without Lotus / Colin Chapman?
And it might not have therefore been freely avaliable to other (rival) teams thereafter, possibily allowing Ford to dominate F1 at the. Which obviously wouldn't have been great news for the sport.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

watka wrote:I heard van Rossem has an autobiography, I imagine that is a very interesting read.

I've been trying to find an English or French translation of it for years. All I can find is the original published in Flemish, which regrettably I can't read.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

During 2006, Dan Wheldon was offered a ride at BMW Sauber, what if he accepted it?
Trump 2016
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Dark77 wrote:During 2006, Dan Wheldon was offered a ride at BMW Sauber, what if he accepted it?

Maybe he would still be racing in 2013... But then Hildebrand may have won the 2011 Indy 500!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

What if Rubens Barrichello drove for McLaren in 2010? I read about it in F1 Racing.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

good_Ralf wrote:What if Rubens Barrichello drove for McLaren in 2010? I read about it in F1 Racing.

In place of whom? The '09 champ or the '08 champ?
MCard LOLA
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

dr-baker wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:What if Rubens Barrichello drove for McLaren in 2010? I read about it in F1 Racing.

Erm... Button. Was wondering if that question was going to pop up.

This is the 800th post

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

good_Ralf wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Erm... Button. Was wondering if that question was going to pop up.

I can understand why McLaren opted for the reigning world champ instead of the perpetual no. 2. Maybe that's the answer. Maybe Lewis would have been 2010 champ with Rubens being his no. 2...
MCard LOLA
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

dr-baker wrote:

Button. I mean, you'd have to be on some pretty potent mind-expending drugs to think that replacing Hamilton with Barrichello is a good move.

Anyway, in this scenario, I see Barrichello as the Schumacher to Hamilton's Rosberg (2010 style) and he skulks off into retirement after 2 seasons and a couple of wins. Nowhere near what Button achieved IRL.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

dr-baker wrote:I can understand why McLaren opted for the reigning world champ instead of the perpetual no. 2. Maybe that's the answer. Maybe Lewis would have been 2010 champ with Rubens being his no. 2...

:lol: I'm guessing Rubens would have won at least a couple of races and would have been somewhere like 6th in the title. He might still be in F1 but that's unlikely. Even if he was winless, at least his career wouldn't have ended in such a dull way.

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

good_Ralf wrote:
dr-baker wrote:I can understand why McLaren opted for the reigning world champ instead of the perpetual no. 2. Maybe that's the answer. Maybe Lewis would have been 2010 champ with Rubens being his no. 2...

:lol: I'm guessing Rubens would have won at least a couple of races and would have been somewhere like 6th in the title. He might still be in F1 but that's unlikely. Even if he was winless, at least his career wouldn't have ended in such a dull way.

The way Williams tossed him was ridiculous. He may have scored 4 points, but the car sucked. Give him credit for scoring 4 zarking points. Heck, Maldonado only got 1.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

go_Rubens wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:

The way Williams tossed him was ridiculous. He may have scored 4 points, but the car sucked. Give him credit for scoring 4 zarking points. Heck, Maldonado only got 1.

Keep in mind that had Maldonado finished 6th at Monaco that year, Barrichello would have only scored three points, as he was running in 10th with 6 laps to go, whereas Maldonado would have scored 9 points that season, outscoring Rubens by 6 points. Alas, that raving lunatic in the second McLaren ruined all of that. In fact, he ruined the entire race as far as I'm concerned. :evil:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Button. I mean, you'd have to be on some pretty potent mind-expending drugs to think that replacing Hamilton with Barrichello is a good move.

Anyway, in this scenario, I see Barrichello as the Schumacher to Hamilton's Rosberg (2010 style) and he skulks off into retirement after 2 seasons and a couple of wins. Nowhere near what Button achieved IRL.

Actually, no wait. He wouldn't have won any races; this is Barrichello we're talking about. Instead, in Australia 2010, we'd have heard the Polish national anthem being blasted out!

Goddamnit McLaren, why did you pick the good drivers?
TORA! TORA! TORA!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Actually, no wait. He wouldn't have won any races; this is Barrichello we're talking about. Instead, in Australia 2010, we'd have heard the Polish national anthem being blasted out!

And Ferrari might have been 1-2 at Monza!

Speaking of the Polish NA, I hope that if Bob doesn't return, at least there will another Polish F1 winner so we can hear that anthem again.

Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

What if Marcos Ambrose never moved to NASCAR?
Trump 2016
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

go_Rubens wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:

For a second, I thought it was Klon posting that :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

What if Gaston Mazzacane went to Ferrari in 2001/2002 as 3th driver
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

f1-gast wrote:What if Gaston Mazzacane went to Ferrari in 2001/2002 as 3th driver

He would have done a lot of testing.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
mario

Post by mario »

ibsey wrote:Was thinking about this last night when racing the 1967 Ferrari P4 330 against a Ford GT40 at Spa on GT5.

What if Ford had brought Ferrari (including their F1 team) in the 1960's?

F1 would have been massively different without Ferrari in the proceeding years. Also wondering what kind of implications this may have had on the Cosworth engine? Like would it have still been built in 1967 without Lotus / Colin Chapman?
And it might not have therefore been freely avaliable to other (rival) teams thereafter, possibily allowing Ford to dominate F1 at the. Which obviously wouldn't have been great news for the sport.

The changes to the sport might perhaps be too substantial to predict, so I'll focus on the smaller question of what might have happened with regards to the Cosworth DFV.

As I understand it, at the time that Chapman approached Duckworth in 1965 to pitch the idea of creating an F1 spec engine, Duckworth had already started development on what eventually became the FVA, which was the four cylinder F2 spec engine that effectively became a testbed for the finished DFV (the DFV was, in some ways, two FVA's stitched together into a V8). Technically, therefore, part of the work was already in place before Chapman made his approach to Duckworth, so the project could probably have been kickstarted if they found the right source of funding.

The question therefore remains whether Chapman could have found the necessary £100,000 at the time, which was what Duckworth estimated the bill to be for development, from another partner. He did try contacting the businessman David Brown, although he turned down Chapman, and Ford initially rejected Chapman's inquiries too (it was only through Walter Hayes that Chapman eventually gained backing from Ford) - I am not sure which other corporations Chapman might have tried to contact though.
Knowing how persistent Chapman could be when he wanted something, I suspect that Chapman would have eventually secured funding from another source, but it would have almost certainly delayed development of the DFV for a year or two in the meantime and perhaps taken more time for it to become as competitive as it finally did. It probably would have meant that the engine wasn't as widely sold either, so it is true that it could have had a rather detrimental impact on the sport at the time (although it might have lead to a rise in sales of the Repco V8 instead, so Repco might have remained in F1 for a few years longer if their V8 remained competitive for a longer period).

In the intervening period, I would imagine that Chapman would have had to have fallen back on an alternative engine supplier as a stop gap. Looking at the engines used in that period, I guess that Chapman might have opted for the Repco V8 for the shorter term. As I understand it, he had a contract option to use them in 1966, but went for the BRM H16 and let Brabham have that contract instead (something which he no doubt regretted in hindsight) - maybe he would have opted for them in 1967 if the DFV was not ready at the time. Alternatively, he might have opted for BRM's V12 - assuming he was prepared to give BRM a second chance - after the newly formed McLaren used that engine with moderate success.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

What If Mike Joy and Darrell Waltrip commentated on an F1 race?
Trump 2016
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

Dark77 wrote:What if Marcel Albers hadn't been killed?

Then The Netherlands would have the First Formula 1 driver who would win a Race in the Formula 1.

He died when i was 1 if im correct, but he was next to Verstappen our biggest talent that time.
Probably he would joined the F1 in Mid 92
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1