The Sportscar and Endurance Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Sportscar and Endurance Thread

Post by Faustus »

go_Rubens wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:
Faustus wrote:Adrian Sutil to drive a factory Porsche LMP1 in 2014, apparently.

Will he be Webber's teammate? It's sad if he is leaving F1.

Any reliable source?

Graham Goodwin from DailySportscar.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

go_Rubens wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:

Any reliable source?

It's Faustus. He has more connections in the paddock than a Facebook celebrity :D :P
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
mario

Post by mario »

good_Ralf wrote:

It is an interesting suggestion - I wonder whether Sutil is making the decision of his own free choice, or whether he is being edged out of the team in favour of somebody else (perhaps a driver from Mercedes's Young Driver program given that those two teams seem to be set for a fairly long term working relationship)?

good_Ralf, I would assume that, if it is true that Sutil is heading for Porsche, the more likely scenario would be for Porsche to put Sutil into one three man team and Webber in the other, with the remainder of the team being formed from sportscar veterans (and in Jani, Dumas and Bernhard, they have already picked up three quite experienced and competitive sportscar drivers). It'd make more sense to let those inexperienced drivers gain knowledge from two veterans within each team rather than just one.

Speaking of a crossover between F1 and sportscars, there is an interesting suggestion from Auto Motor und Sport that Ferrari are considering returning to the prototype classes at Le Mans with their turbo engine and potentially even a full blown works LMP1 team. Renault Sport have already hinted, according to Racecar Engineering, that they'd sell engines to customers in the LMP1 class, but AMuS are suggesting that Ferrari are planning a works team to utilise the spare capacity in their wind tunnel and to use the LMP1 car as a testbed for their engine.
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/moto ... 19825.html

Amid a few rumours concerning the weakness of the Ferrari engine for 2014 (James Allen is reporting that, according to his sources, Ferrari have the least powerful engine (with Mercedes thought to have the strongest engine and Renault between the two)), being able to develop your engine outside of F1 and then bring those development across to the works F1 team would be a good way around the development restrictions.
I can also foresee the ACO being rather pleased about that bit of news if it does indeed come to pass - the prospect of having two premium manufacturers (Porsche and Ferrari) with works teams would raise the profile of sportscar racing quite a bit.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

good_Ralf wrote:Has anyone mentioned the fact that Robert Wickens scored his first win in DTM from pole at the Norisring yesterday?

Which he then lost!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Myrvold wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:Has anyone mentioned the fact that Robert Wickens scored his first win in DTM from pole at the Norisring yesterday?

Which he then lost!

Robert Wickens = Wasted F1 Talent :(
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

good_Ralf wrote:Daniel Juncadella = Wasted F1 Talent :(

Fixed ;) Both of them are wasted F1 talents, really.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

mario wrote:Amid a few rumours concerning the weakness of the Ferrari engine for 2014 (James Allen is reporting that, according to his sources, Ferrari have the least powerful engine (with Mercedes thought to have the strongest engine and Renault between the two)), being able to develop your engine outside of F1 and then bring those development across to the works F1 team would be a good way around the development restrictions.

Do you have a link to the JA report?
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
mario

Post by mario »

wsrgo wrote:
mario wrote:Amid a few rumours concerning the weakness of the Ferrari engine for 2014 (James Allen is reporting that, according to his sources, Ferrari have the least powerful engine (with Mercedes thought to have the strongest engine and Renault between the two)), being able to develop your engine outside of F1 and then bring those development across to the works F1 team would be a good way around the development restrictions.

It was a passing comment that he made in this article on Alonso's interest in Red Bull when he talks about Alonso's prospects for 2014 if he stays with Ferrari, even with Allison moving to the team.
There are question marks about how potent the Ferrari powertrain will be for 2013. Industry insight puts Mercedes ahead of Renault with Ferrari behind. Allison and his clever aerodynamics may not be enough.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/07/w ... -red-bull/
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

mario wrote:
wsrgo wrote:

It was a passing comment that he made in this article on Alonso's interest in Red Bull when he talks about Alonso's prospects for 2014 if he stays with Ferrari, even with Allison moving to the team.
There are question marks about how potent the Ferrari powertrain will be for 2013. Industry insight puts Mercedes ahead of Renault with Ferrari behind. Allison and his clever aerodynamics may not be enough.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/07/w ... -red-bull/

Okay, thanks a lot!!! :)
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

East Londoner wrote:Seems legit. :?

Mamma mia. That is crazy.

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

This is beyond of Rejects. :lol:
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Reminds me of the time when another celebrity (don't remember who) tried to setup a team in 125cc... with a pink motorcycle :lol:
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Aerospeed [JerMcC] wrote:Reminds me of the time when another celebrity (don't remember who) tried to setup a team in 125cc... with a pink motorcycle :lol:

That was Paris Hilton. I don't know what happened to that team...
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AndreaModa wrote:
Aerospeed [JerMcC] wrote:Reminds me of the time when another celebrity (don't remember who) tried to setup a team in 125cc... with a pink motorcycle :lol:

Surprised she didn't make some MTV 'documentary' about it...actually, I'm not, because it's actually interesting.

Anyway, you know you're not on for many points when the principal gets ridden more than the bikes...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

AndreaModa wrote:

They won four races and got six more podiums in one season. Not a bad record.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Ataxia wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:That was Paris Hilton. I don't know what happened to that team...

Surprised she didn't make some MTV 'documentary' about it...actually, I'm not, because it's actually interesting.

Anyway, you know you're not on for many points when the principal gets ridden more than the bikes...

classic :lol:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

good_Ralf wrote:

Hope it doesn't go tits up...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

dr-baker wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:

Hope it doesn't go tits up...

I reckon she likes a nice big exhaust…
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I never realised Pamela Anderson was Canadian.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

watka wrote:I never realised Pamela Anderson was Canadian.

I used to think Michael J Fox, Jim Carrey and Leslie Nielsen were all American but as I found out...

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

good_Ralf wrote:
watka wrote:I never realised Pamela Anderson was Canadian.

I used to think Michael J Fox, Jim Carrey and Leslie Nielsen were all American but as I found out...

I think I knew that Jim Carrey and Michael J. Fox were Canadian, but certainly not the North American continent's answer to Katie Price...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I was going through the drivers of this seasons ADAC GT Masters, and I loled when coming upon one particular name...
Enzo Ide. :lol:
Like a mix of Enzo Ferrari and Yuji Ide.
http://www.adac-gt-masters.de/uk/fahrer ... o-ide-3209

He is a Belgian dude, who not only has an amazing name,
he also looks like a BOSS! :lol:

-*:-
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

He looks like Andrea de Adamich.
Ide is 22 and not related to our beloved Yuji. He currently lies 4th in this year's FIA GT championship.
Last edited by good_Ralf on 07 Oct 2013, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Porsche has got more drivers lined up: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110427
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Not sure where to put this, but there's been another tragedy in motorsports this week.

RIP Sean Edwards. :cry:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

East Londoner wrote:Not sure where to put this, but there's been another tragedy in motorsports this week.

I feel this needs a separate thread in the EVDP forum.

This is so sad, de Villotta last week, Edwards today..

Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

East Londoner wrote:Not sure where to put this, but there's been another tragedy in motorsports this week.

Oh no! :( He was pretty good when driving a Porsche, so I'm sure he would have landed a seat in a LMP1 sooner or later.

This year is really cursed, with all the fatalities and heavy accidents. We can just thank god that F1 hasn't been hit (so far...) by tragedy. Still, we may need to ask if and how this sport needs to be made safer. But these questions shall be answered at a later date.
MIA SAN MIA!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

RIP Sean. One tragedy is bad enough but 2 in a week is just terrible. Let's hope 2013 doesn't become another 2011 in terms of tragedies.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

The deaths of Edwards and De Vilota in succesive weeks gives me the eerie comparison to Wheldon and Simoncelli 2 years ago. Tomorrow is 2 years to the day of Wheldon's death and likewise next week with Simoncelli. RIP Sean Edwards a super quick driver with massive talent. He will be sorely missed
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ferrarist wrote:We can just thank god that F1 hasn't been hit (so far...) by tragedy.

But it has, by Maria de Villota, dying as a result of her crash last year.
MCard LOLA
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

RIP.

This is the second death with GT3 cars in this year, first in Le mans, now in Porsche cup.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Rest in Peace Sean Edwards. I thought he was something special. He will be missed.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

It's errie to think that just a few months ago I was watching Sean race at Spa. RIP
Trump 2016
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Is there anywhere online where you are able to see how much a driver has driven in any one race?
Le Mans, Endurance races, GT races etc...races where there are more than one driver sharing the cockpit.
Rarely have I seen sources providing the number of laps / hours spent in the car divided by driver.
They always just show the final results like this, without individual laps or stats:

There are several series where I'd like to know how much the drivers have driven individually.
Like ADAC GT Masters, Blancpain Endurance Series, Audi R8 LMS, 24h Nürburgring, FIA GT1 World Championship, Le Mans 24h & the Le Mans Series.

Is there a place dedicated to this that I haven't found?
-*:-
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just read that Sean Edwards actually appeared in the film Rush, playing the part of his father, Guy Edwards during the (in)famous Nurburgring scene.
MCard LOLA
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

dr-baker wrote:Just read that Sean Edwards actually appeared in the film Rush, playing the part of his father, Guy Edwards during the (in)famous Nurburgring scene.

Wow
Officially Retired
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

And here is the new Audi for 2014:

pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Pretty much the same as the old model then.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Looks the same, but at least I can see some of the changes made for the nee regs. I like how narrow the cars will be next year, and the new safety regs. And the new powertrains for hybrid systems. I will certainly focus on WEC next year.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool