Sauber F1 Team - Financial struggles

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Zetec

Sauber F1 Team - Financial struggles

Post by Zetec »

So yesterday Peter Sauber was interviewed on Swiss-TV. An interview, which gives a good view over the current struggles of Sauber F1 Team:

1. They are running out of money. Right now they are living from day to day.
2. Some supplieres have to wait a little longer to have their bills paid, but they seem to fully unterstand the situation and are still supplying the team.
3. All salaries are still being payed on-date. Claims, that Hülkenberg is waiting for money, are not true.
4. Hülkenberg did resign his contract. So he has no contract at Sauber right now for 2014.
5. Sauber has a solution to make the car quicker. But, they don't have to money right now to produce the updates!
6. They are talking to some investors and sponsors and hope to have a solution until the end of the month.
7. Their current sponsors have given them some more money last month to help them out.
8. They have a Plan "B": Selling the team if necessary.
Alextrax52

Re: Sauber F1 Team - Financial struggles

Post by Alextrax52 »

Crash.net have some rumors that there's some Russian Investors wanting to take over Sauber.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/193284/1/r ... auber.html
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Serves them right for ditching Kobayashi.
Just For One Day...
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

The last time a Russian bought out a team sold it a year later.
Yes, I'm talking about Alex Shnaider.
If there is serious will to help the Sauber team, it better be a longer investment.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Kimi-ICE wrote:Crash.net have some rumors that there's some Russian Investors wanting to take over Sauber.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/193284/1/r ... auber.html

If it is indeed a Todt-SMP collaboration, then possible drivers next year:
Nicolas Todt/ART: Jules Bianchi/Pastor Maldonado/James Calado/ er...Felipe Massa :?:
SMP: Vitaly Petrov/Mikhail Aleshin/Daniil Move :x
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Shizuka wrote:The last time a Russian bought out a team sold it a year later.
Yes, I'm talking about Alex Shnaider.
If there is serious will to help the Sauber team, it better be a longer investment.

To be fair, Jordan was near backmarker status when they bought it, and it took someone else altogether to properly haul that team back into the points.

Sauber, while not doing great this year, had 4 podiums last year, so they might be better off. Who knows, though, what they will do this year with the car being a piece of crap.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

I'd like to see a video or link to this interview, this sounds really interesting...
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

What the hell is Nikolay Fomenko then, if not a Russian?
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Backmarker wrote:

What the hell is Nikolay Fomenko then, if not a Russian?

Apologies - totally forgot about Fomenko and his involvement with Marussia.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Zetec

Post by Zetec »

JeremyMcClean wrote:I'd like to see a video or link to this interview, this sounds really interesting...

Here you go: http://www.srf.ch/sport/motorsport/form ... -luft-mehr
nigellamansell

Post by nigellamansell »

I can't wait for the new owners to be announced as the Shannon Group
Keeping away from the white lines...allegedly
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

CoopsII wrote:Serves them right for ditching Kobayashi.

My thoughts exactly.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

LionZoo wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

I'd ditch Kobayashi for Hülkenberg....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
LionZoo wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

I'd ditch Kobayashi for Hülkenberg....

2012 Kobayashi, perhaps you're right. 2010 Kobayashi, however, would be a whole other kettle of fish.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

I am one who does not like to see a team like Sauber, who have survived since 1993, in trouble. I like to cheer on the smaller teams, and this is one of them. I don't like seeing this.

It's the same with Williams with a few struggling drivers who can't use the car they way they want.
Last edited by go_Rubens on 09 Jul 2013, 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

go_Rubens wrote:I am one who does not like to see a team like Sauber, who have survived since 1993, in trouble. I like to cheer on the smaller teams, and this is one of them. I don't like seeing this.

It's the same with Williams with a few struggling drivers who can't use the car they way they want.

It pains me to see the smaller teams in trouble.

Do you dislike seeing small teams in trouble? I'm not sure.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:I am one who does not like to see a team like Sauber, who have survived since 1993, in trouble. I like to cheer on the smaller teams, and this is one of them. I don't like seeing this.

It pains me to see the smaller teams in trouble.

Do you dislike seeing small teams in trouble? I'm not sure.

Yes. I'll edit that.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

shinji wrote:2012 Kobayashi, perhaps you're right. 2010 Kobayashi, however, would be a whole other kettle of fish.

I didnt know it was possible to have that option :o Mercedes firked up then, they should've signed up the 1995 Schumacher.
Just For One Day...
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

I too find it sad to see Sauber struggling like this, what is more sad is how badly they have dropped in the past year. It seems unbelievable that only last year they had four podiums, and one of the nattiest cars and driver line-ups on the grid. I like to see privateer teams doing well and I really admired how Peter Sauber came out of retirement to save the team. I think that Hulkenberg is right to be looking for a way out though, he needs to get off the sinking ship to protect his own interests.

I wonder how things would be looking if Schumi had stayed another year and driven for them for expenses only, as was rumoured?
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
mario

Post by mario »

LellaLombardi wrote:I too find it sad to see Sauber struggling like this, what is more sad is how badly they have dropped in the past year. It seems unbelievable that only last year they had four podiums, and one of the nattiest cars and driver line-ups on the grid. I like to see privateer teams doing well and I really admired how Peter Sauber came out of retirement to save the team. I think that Hulkenberg is right to be looking for a way out though, he needs to get off the sinking ship to protect his own interests.

I wonder how things would be looking if Schumi had stayed another year and driven for them for expenses only, as was rumoured?

The fact that Sauber are in such financial difficulty would go a long way towards explaining why they have slid backwards since their peak in 2012 - if they are in a situation where they are unable to develop the car significantly over the course of the season, then, with most of the other teams doing at least some development work (even if most teams are putting more effort into 2014 rather than 2013), their relative pace is going to suffer.

As for the speculation over a Schumacher deal (I hadn't heard about that suggestion), well, on the one hand his presence might have helped draw in some additional sponsorship, but, if it is the case that the drivers are being held back that much by the car, then it is hard to see what difference he or any other driver would make in terms of results.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Zetec

Post by Zetec »

It's now a fact, that Sauber is confronted with its first enforcements (in Switzerland you can legaly ask at the municipal administration, if a company or a person has any enforcements, so I can confirm it. Different bills have not been paid, the highest being about a million swiss francs, and a lot of bills around 10'000.-).

So, in Switzerland, if you have any enforcements, you have to find some money pretty fast to pay your creditors or bankruptcy is knocking at the door faster than they would like.
mario

Post by mario »

Zetec wrote:It's now a fact, that Sauber is confronted with its first enforcements (in Switzerland you can legaly ask at the municipal administration, if a company or a person has any enforcements, so I can confirm it. Different bills have not been paid, the highest being about a million swiss francs, and a lot of bills around 10'000.-).

So, in Switzerland, if you have any enforcements, you have to find some money pretty fast to pay your creditors or bankruptcy is knocking at the door faster than they would like.

Those are not exactly small bills (the smaller ones are about £7000, with the largest equating to about £700,000), and I can imagine that being compelled to pay them through legal action would cause considerable cash flow problems at the best of times (and these are not the best of times for Sauber by the sounds of things). Even if there is the possibility of a longer term rescue package being put together, it might be too late if the team is choked by cash flow problems in the short term...
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Well, that could get Hülkenberg out of Sauber even faster. They need a pay-driver now. A rich one that is.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

That is kinda annoying for me since my second (I think) cousin Nick works for them but if worse comes to worse, he can always rejoin redbull again since he was there 2010-2011
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Zetec

Post by Zetec »

What annoys me the most, and also most people here in Switzerland is the question: Where the hell is Monisha Kaltenborn? Since the problems got public, nobody has seen her or heard something from her.
It's always poor Peter Sauber, who has to face the media.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

roblomas52 wrote:That is kinda annoying for me since my second (I think) cousin Nick works for them but if worse comes to worse, he can always rejoin redbull again since he was there 2010-2011

Ooh, do you get F1 themed gear for Christmas presents? Via Santa obviously, because I know plenty of members are of the younger persuasion.
Just For One Day...
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Klon wrote:Well, that could get Hülkenberg out of Sauber even faster. They need a pay-driver now. A rich one that is.

Does Kobayashi still have those fan donations?
Zetec

Post by Zetec »

andrew2209 wrote:
Klon wrote:Well, that could get Hülkenberg out of Sauber even faster. They need a pay-driver now. A rich one that is.

Yes, and he said, that he will keep it to find a F1 seat and won't use it otherwise.
He could try to get his Sauber seat back. But, as far as I remember the donation wouldn't be enough for Sauber to pay all the bills.
More likely they need a driver like Karthikeyan or Senna, who bring a few millions.
But, on the other hand, Hulkenberg has a contract, and I think he will stick to it. Being away for half a season would be enough, to be out of the minds of the teams for 2014.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Zetec wrote:
andrew2209 wrote:

Yes, and he said, that he will keep it to find a F1 seat and won't use it otherwise.
He could try to get his Sauber seat back. But, as far as I remember the donation wouldn't be enough for Sauber to pay all the bills.
More likely they need a driver like Karthikeyan or Senna, who bring a few millions.
But, on the other hand, Hulkenberg has a contract, and I think he will stick to it. Being away for half a season would be enough, to be out of the minds of the teams for 2014.

It could work in Hulkenberg's favour. Struggling midfield team who can't pay their bills have a driver who can scrape a point here and there. Teams will look at that as a positive thing and might take him on next year. I'm looking at Lotus if Raikkonen goes to RedBull.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
mario

Post by mario »

Zetec wrote:What annoys me the most, and also most people here in Switzerland is the question: Where the hell is Monisha Kaltenborn? Since the problems got public, nobody has seen her or heard something from her.
It's always poor Peter Sauber, who has to face the media.

Kaltenborn has occasionally spoken to the media, but mainly English speaking organisations like Autosport rather than the Swiss press.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

CoopsII wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:That is kinda annoying for me since my second (I think) cousin Nick works for them but if worse comes to worse, he can always rejoin redbull again since he was there 2010-2011

Ooh, do you get F1 themed gear for Christmas presents? Via Santa obviously, because I know plenty of members are of the younger persuasion.

Um… no not really. Last time I got some stuff from him was some Red Bull posters in September 2010
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

roblomas52 wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

Um… no not really. Last time I got some stuff from him was some Red Bull posters in September 2010

Well, I've gotten Ferrari fan gear for my birthday and I'm happy with that :)
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I sleep in what used to be the attic so the only place the posters would fit is on the 2 sloping walls but the blue tak doesn't work on there
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

S951

Post by S951 »

reading into the thread on autosport all sorts of bad things are coming out now, thought they would of been ok with a 2nd year of slimm money but then again it's not his boy checo. Read something about them needing 30 million to finish off the season true or not I don't know I doubt the hulk would walk but if he did get replaced there only a handful of drivers with cash I know that would jump at it bad thing really as hulk in last few races showing some good pace
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

roblomas52 wrote:I sleep in what used to be the attic so the only place the posters would fit is on the 2 sloping walls but the blue tak doesn't work on there

The people downstairs know you're there though right? Has anyone here watched The Grudge....?
Just For One Day...
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

CoopsII wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:I sleep in what used to be the attic so the only place the posters would fit is on the 2 sloping walls but the blue tak doesn't work on there

The people downstairs know you're there though right? Has anyone here watched The Grudge....?

Yeah mum and dad know I still live with them
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

nigellamansell wrote:I can't wait for the new owners to be announced as the Shannon Group

I was thinking perhaps Zoran Stefanovic. Or even, heaven forbid, Don Pentecost!!!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Svenko Wankerov

Post by Svenko Wankerov »

dr-baker wrote:
nigellamansell wrote:I can't wait for the new owners to be announced as the Shannon Group

I was thinking perhaps Zoran Stefanovic. Or even, heaven forbid, Don Pentecost!!!

Time for Qadbak to try again!
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

I can't wait for Stefan GP to finally grace the grid! :twisted:
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Time for Qadbak to try again!

Maybe FIRST can finally properly enter a Grand Prix
I like the way Snrub thinks!