091219 Season Review Edition

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

091219 Season Review Edition

Post by Kuwashima »

G'day everyone,

Our much belated one-word season review edition of the podcast makes its appearance online. You know what that means - more Margie Lane! :D

We cover all the latest driver movements, Captain Hammer gets several mentions as I recall, and the forum's word association thread serves as inspiration for a particularly turgid 3 minute segment.

We hope you all enjoy it!

Jamie.
TomWazzleshaw

Re: 091219 Season Review Edition

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Yay something I've made finally gets recognition :D ... now where's the plug for Tealy who won the Predicament Predictions championship? :mrgreen:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Snoozey2

Post by Snoozey2 »

:evil:
Last edited by Snoozey2 on 17 Jan 2010, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

I recall sending an email, but apparently my fail comcast email wasn't sending it, because I got an email back saying that it hadn't gotten through yet. Hmmm...

Also, as a Sebastien Bourdais fan to some extent (I love his post-race excuses... material that produced as many laughs as Mansell), I must say that I think his four Champ Car titles came when the series was at its lowest end. Despite that, I think Bourdais's talent shows in the heavier, slower Champ Cars, and that he is more suited to them. If he faced real competition in Champ Car that wasn't Allmendinger or Paul Tracy, he would have won the Champ Car title once (maybe twice), but keep in mind also that he was quite old when he got his shot at F1 and was already far too accustomed to Champ Cars. I think he would have been better off taking the NASCAR drive that was offered him -- Bourdais adapted VERY quickly to stock cars and NASCAR-style ovals in the now-defunct IROC series, in a series which basically existed to make NASCAR drivers look good (although that was not always the case). However, Bourdais took the F1 route, and it was a disaster, but at the very least, he had his chance.

Last season I think he should have been ranked 14th instead of 17th, but this year he was garbage. Definitely worthy of the Reject Podium.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
tc3j3r

Post by tc3j3r »

Well, lets give a huge round of applause to Nelson Piquet and Renault!!! Two thoroughly deserving reject drivers and teams of the year respectively. Well done. :lol:
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Another excellent podcast, particularly the several deserved digs at Captain Hammer.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

shinji wrote:Another excellent podcast, particularly the several deserved digs at Captain Hammer.

Agreed. Sorry, captain.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

dr-baker wrote:
shinji wrote:Another excellent podcast, particularly the several deserved digs at Captain Hammer.

Agreed. Sorry, captain.

I think it's time to demote him to Private Hammer.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Very true. I have to say, I quite enjoyed the abject absurdity that was your word association at the end of the podcast, and I wouldn't mind to see it return in future podcasts.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Very true. I have to say, I quite enjoyed the abject absurdity that was your word association at the end of the podcast, and I wouldn't mind to see it return in future podcasts.

Disappointed that although Jamie and Enoch got onto capital cities a couple of times, there were no mentions of Vanuatu, Cambodia, or any European micronations.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

I was disappointed to not hear Brazilian national anthem for Piquet. It has been a while since it has been played for him so Nelsinho would have been very happy.

On a positive not, good to hear that you were referring Santa Claus and Lapland!
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

I fell asleep halfway through. Sorry.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

I just noticed the icon on the main page for this podcast - nice.
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Great podcast again, thanks so much for all the hard work going into this!

Also, I believe I can clear up some things about Niki Lauda's airline, although it may sound a bit complicated at first:
Lauda Air is indeed still flying, but is no longer owned by Niki Lauda, but by our former state-run airline "Austrian Airlines", which bought it after it went bancrupt at the beginning of the 2000s. (Austrian Airlines, in turn, has since almost gone bancrupt, too, and has been bought by German Lufthansa. However, the "Lauda Air" name is still used for charter flights from Austria to a number of European holiday destinations, because it has a reputation for very good on-board service and catering in Austria. However, it is no longer used for long-haul flights - and the stewardesses now look like the regular "Austrian Airlines" ones, which is a major disappointment).
Niki Lauda since has founded another Airline in competition to Lauda Air, which he has had to call "Fly Niki" because Austrian Airlines apparently own the naming rights for airlines with the name "Lauda" in it.

Until a few weeks ago, Lauda also owned a car rental service for Smarts called "Lauda Motion".

As for the word association game: I liked it, but I think you should use fewer starting points, but more associations per word/perdson.
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

Why is Alonso 9th/10th?? Did I miss something that he did during this season?? :( Only race I saw his name was Singapore where he took advantage of drive-through for Vettel and Rosberg to crawl to podium.

Also I think Nakajima OR Kovalainen deserved REJECT OF THE YEAR more than Nelson Piquet Jr. :twisted: Piquet Jr. we know was treated badly in Renault team by Flavio, almost like guinea pig. As he said himself during FIA extraordinary meeting, pre-season he did just 5 days of testing, that too 2 days in wets while Alonso got 10-12 days with new car. On the other hand, Nakajima, drove same car as Rosberg, he is only driver to have participated in all 17 races and not score a point. And Kovalainen could not even beat Massa's tally of 22 points even though Massa did not race since Hungary qualifying crash, and he was in proven race winning and constant point scoring Mclaren.

ANYWAY, I ENJOYED THE PODCAST!! GREAT WORK!! :D :D
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

I thought that Buemi would be ROTY and he ended up in the top 10.

How embarrassing for me. ;)
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I got in the podcast! Yay! Words cannot possibly express my joy! Well, maybe if I thought about it for a while, but it's winter break and I'm feeling a bit lazy... >_>

And the "55555" in my Twitter name came about some time ago, as I discovered (to my shock, given my age at the time) that there were other bduddy's in the world... as 5 was my favorite number at the time, I resolved to add one in the great tradition of Internet usernames, but bduddy5 was either already taken or just sounded wrong, so I decided that adding five 5's would be easy to remember, and I just haven't changed it since. Jamie and Enoch aren't the first two to have that reaction to it though... :cry:
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

The word association was clumsy, incoherant, and a total mess.
So a perfect fit for your podcast :D
Making up the numbers
Waris

Post by Waris »

I loved the word association game, even though it was a complete waste of everyone's time. Please keep it for the next podcast!!
Oh, the season review was great too, btw. Best wishes for the new year mates, I hope you can make even better podcasts!!

Edit: oh bathplug, it appears there's one more edition coming up before the year's end...
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Embarrassingly, I only managed to listen to it tonight. :oops: Anyway, an excellent work guys, and thanks again for reading the IIDOTS results!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!