The Sportscar and Endurance Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
DOSBoot

Re: The Sportscar and Endurance Thread

Post by DOSBoot »

Shadaza wrote:Image

Wat. I....like it.

I don't.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
mario

Post by mario »

nome66 wrote:
Shadaza wrote:Image

Wat. I....like it.

reminds me of science fiction films.
are they acting as a separate entity from DeltaWing/AAR?

They are no longer associated with AAR: however, Ben Bowlby, who helped design the original DeltaWing, subsequently moved to Nissan, which would probably explain why this car looks so similar to the original concept. Given how much hype the original car created, I'm not surprised that Nissan have chosen to repeat that design - the wider press adored the original car and pretty much totally ignored Audi, and by the looks of things the announcement of this new concept has already racked up more headlines than Audi are likely to generate this year again.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Light rain for the start of the 24 hours. I have a feeling things are going to be crazy!
Message me on Discord.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

One of the Aston Martins has had a massive shunt already. Looks like that's curtains for them after just three laps. :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Post by mario »

Shadaza wrote:Light rain for the start of the 24 hours. I have a feeling things are going to be crazy!

It didn't take long for your prediction to come true - as East Londoner mentioned, one of the Aston Martin entries has already been completely written off by the looks of things and the race is currently under a safety car. I'm also surprised by how aggressive Toyota's drivers have been at the start of the race - I was expecting the Audi's to pull away pretty easily, especially given that their KERS effectively acts in 4WD mode at speed (whereas Toyota's system is purely RWD), but instead it is the Toyota's that look competitive in these damp and cold conditions.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Imagine if the tag from FullMetalJack's avatar came true! But Quick Nick's group is 6th the grid.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Well, Toyota's challenge didn't last long.

AUDIWINSLOL
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
mario

Post by mario »

Stramala wrote:Well, Toyota's challenge didn't last long.

AUDIWINSLOL

It does look that way at the moment right now - Toyota might have a very slim chance if they stretch their stints out a bit further (they seem to have a two lap advantage - 12 laps to Audi's 10 laps - which does not look like it is going to be enough of an advantage), but, even allowing for wet weather slowing the drivers down, I don't think that they can eke it out any longer.

[Edit] Further news has come through on that earlier accident involving the driver of that Aston Martin, Allan Simonsen - Eurosport are reporting that, sadly, Allan was severely injured in that accident and has now passed away in hospital due to his injuries.
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Allan Simonsen, the Aston GTE driver, has died following his accident at Tertre Rouge.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

May he rest in peace :( The replay only showed the end of it, but damn, that car broke down hard!

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

RIP Allan Simonsen, whoever he is.

When was the last time someone died at the Circuit de la Sarthe?
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

RIP Allan Simonsen
It looked a nasty accident and there were no rubber tires in front of the barrier.
Message me on Discord.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

I'm only following in the background, but that is shocking to hear. I haven't seen the replays of the accident yet.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

It appears he lost control coming out of the corner and went into the barriers driver's side first :o

RIP Allan Simonsen :cry:
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
mario

Post by mario »

Shadaza wrote:RIP Allan Simonsen
It looked a nasty accident and there were no rubber tires in front of the barrier.

It appears that the impact was made worse by the fact that the car went through the barrier and struck a tree behind it, which brought the car to a much more abrupt stop (and would explain why one side of the car was so heavily damaged). It is a bit of a shock, though, to receive that news given that he was initially reported to have been conscious and capable of talking to the circuit doctors.

good_Ralf wrote:RIP Allan Simonsen, whoever he is.

When was the last time someone died at the Circuit de la Sarthe?

It appears that the last fatal accident was in 1997, when Sébastien Enjolras was killed after the bodywork of his car disintegrated at speed and caused the car to flip over the barriers and into the trees at Arnage.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Yeah it's very sad news about Aalen Simonsen. RIP.

Oliver Gavin was behind him when he went off, I've found the video. Apologies if it's in bad taste, but all it shows is the car stepping out of line before going towards the barrier. The aftermath of the crash can be found on YouTube fairly easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFpTqwzO ... ata_player
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I'm really shocked it was Simonsen of all people. For me he was one of the best GT drivers. I had been following him since 2006 when he joined Scuderia Ecosse Ferrari. It's still quite hard to believe it's happened.

RIP Allan Simonsen.

Image Image
Rasmus

Post by Rasmus »

mario wrote:

It appears that the impact was made worse by the fact that the car went through the barrier and struck a tree behind it, which brought the car to a much more abrupt stop (and would explain why one side of the car was so heavily damaged).

Where have you read/heard that??

I'm totally shocked. I even cried a little when I heard the tragic news. RIP Allan. Sad day for danish motorsport and motorsport in general.
Blog about all things motorsport - http://motorsportist.wordpress.com/
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Awful news. RIP Allen. The tree would explain why a realtively harmless shunt turned fatal. Awful day. Has Aston withdrawn?

Now to try to change the subject onto lighter news, does anyone know who the 12-year girl doing the commentary on Lemans Tv feed is? She is without question the worst commentator I have ever heard. Thank God for Radio Le Mans.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

I don't have British Eurosport so haven't been able to watch the race. But can someone tell me if the announcement on Simonsen's death has been formally made to everyone? And has the race been stopped? Have Aston Martin pulled out of the race as a mark of respect?
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

AdrianSutil wrote:I don't have British Eurosport so haven't been able to watch the race. But can someone tell me if the announcement on Simonsen's death has been formally made to everyone? And has the race been stopped? Have Aston Martin pulled out of the race as a mark of respect?

It was formally announced (whenever the announcer says "I'm going to read this just as its written" you know sadly, whats coming), but strangely the ACO has pulled the statement from their website. The race has not been stopped (I doubt it will be) and as of now, Aston is still running (I hope they withdraw personally).

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Very very sad news indeed :cry: only just caught the announcement, because I've been watching a recording, but the news was very shocking. When I initially saw the incident I thought that Simonsen would pull through but unfortunately it hasn't been the case. R.i.p.

AdrianSutil wrote:I don't have British Eurosport so haven't been able to watch the race. But can someone tell me if the announcement on Simonsen's death has been formally made to everyone? And has the race been stopped? Have Aston Martin pulled out of the race as a mark of respect?

Yes, Eurosport read out the official announcement from Aston Martin and Simonsen's family has been notified. The race wasn't red flagged, but the incident did cause a 50 minute safety car while they extracted Allan from the car and dealt with the damage to the barriers. The indication is that the remaining 4 Astons will continue to race in an effort to win the race in Simonsen's memory.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

RIP Allan Simonsen. Another reminder that for all our love of motorsport it is still a dangerous sport.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

So that is the very first fatal accident I have witnessed during a live race. I hope its the last. RIP Allen. :cry:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

Rest in peace, Allan. My thoughts are with his family.
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
mario

Post by mario »

Rasmus wrote:
mario wrote:

It appears that the impact was made worse by the fact that the car went through the barrier and struck a tree behind it, which brought the car to a much more abrupt stop (and would explain why one side of the car was so heavily damaged).

Where have you read/heard that??

I'm totally shocked. I even cried a little when I heard the tragic news. RIP Allan. Sad day for danish motorsport and motorsport in general.

It was based on the testimony of one of the Corvette GTE drivers who was following Allan and witnessed the crash - when interviewed by Eurosport, he seemed to think that the car punched through the barrier.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

East Londoner wrote:So that is the very first fatal accident I have witnessed during a live race. I hope its the last. RIP Allen. :cry:

The same for me. I'm really shocked.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

pi314159 wrote:
East Londoner wrote:So that is the very first fatal accident I have witnessed during a live race. I hope its the last. RIP Allen. :cry:

I saw live footage of Henry Surtees' fatal accident in F2 a few years back. I knew immediately that he was in serious trouble. It's not a nice feeling, leaves a bad feeling in your stomach.

Mario, the Corvette driver was former F1 tester Oliver Gavin who tweeted about it as soon as his stint in the car was over.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

The Dutch Bear

Post by The Dutch Bear »

pi314159 wrote:

Same here. I hope that I never have to see one again.
As soon as I saw the driver's side of the car I had a bad feeling about this. RIP Allan and my condolences to everybody that was close to him.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

East Londoner wrote:So that is the very first fatal accident I have witnessed during a live race.

I wish I could say the same......

FMecha

Post by FMecha »

^Why I feel that the ZEOD looks like it comes from Ridge Racer? :?

Oh, and RIP Simsonen. :cry:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Simonsen's family requested the other Aston Martin to stay in the race when David Richards announced bad news for them (before the public announcement)
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Suddenly the race is turned on it's head.

The Number 3 Audi has had a tire delamination at the start of the Mulsanne straight and worse the Audi 1 has a "major engine problem" and has been wheeled in to the garage.

The number 2 now leads the two Toyota's.
Message me on Discord.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

mario wrote:It was based on the testimony of one of the Corvette GTE drivers who was following Allan and witnessed the crash - when interviewed by Eurosport, he seemed to think that the car punched through the barrier.

Speed TV just showed a replay of marshalls fixing the armco, with a clearly damaged tree behind.....

Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Just heard the news recently, very sad for this to happen. Always a sad occasion no matter which level of motorsport it's at. RIP
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

RIP Allan. He was a brilliant driver, and I always looked forward to his attempts at Bathurst. :cry:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AdrianSutil wrote:
pi314159 wrote:

I saw live footage of Henry Surtees' fatal accident in F2 a few years back. I knew immediately that he was in serious trouble. It's not a nice feeling, leaves a bad feeling in your stomach.

I was at the track when that accident happened. I had no idea what had happened (other than sussing that it was serious), but it was awful to find out that a participant in the entertainment that you were watching live had died during the event. And I remember the day Senna died. Didn't watch the race live, but remember watching the TV evening news. Sad days. We all hope that it never happens, but this is a reminder never to become complacent, as Kubica reminds us. Here's hoping that Bruno Senna wins the GT class in his Aston Martin. Goodness how he and his mother are feeling right now...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Gianluca Roda (possible relation to Giovanni? :P) has binned it at the exit of the esses and cost himself the GT-Am class lead. :roll:

Image Image
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

I've seen several myself, but whether it's the first or one's seventh the bad feeling doesn't change.

On second count, this is my fifth death I've seen live with John Nemechek, Dale Sr., Blaise Alexander, Dan Wheldon, and now with Allan.
Last edited by Onxy Wrecked on 23 Jun 2013, 00:02, edited 2 times in total.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

This is awful news to wake up to this morning.

Simonsen was, in my mind, one of the best and most underrated tin-top drivers in the world, whether that be in touring cars or GT sports cars. His versatility was a throwback to a bygone era.

RIP Allan - and my condolences to his friends (many of whom will be in the Australian motorsport community) and family.