Unpopular F1 opinions

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
CoopsII

Re: Unpopular F1 opinions

Post by CoopsII »

roblomas52 wrote:Am I the only person here who thinks that Kubica should be in that Ferrari now?

I think in the Lotus he would've made Raikkonen pay a bit more attention in drivers briefings thats 'for sure'. Heck, if Robert was his team-mate Kimi may even have felt they need to attend them all!
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:Heres an opinion of mine that I don't think will go down terribly well

Robert Kubica should give up on the idea of getting back to F1

I mean, I miss him and I think its a giant shame that his career has been curtailed, but I think he should just move on. I mean, first of all, he has to overcome the physical difficulties of driving in such cramped conditions. I mean, we all saw how Schumacher struggled to adapt, what makes anyone think Bobby K will be any different? Also, I remember him being the plucky underdog, always driving beyond the capabilities of his car. If he returned, I highly doubt he'd be able to do that, and his glittering reputation would be damaged, which I don't want to see. Ever.

Except for the fact it doesn't look like he's lost any of his speed. Every single rally he's been in so far he's either been in contention for the win, or flat out dominated. At least, until the almost inevitable crash or car failure...

You raise a good point, but I'm sceptical he'd be able to cut it in F1 if he returned

Even in the interviews where he has talked about his desire to return to F1, he has made it clear that it is still going to be a considerable amount of time before he is physically fit enough to do so. I would agree that, in many ways, it is unlikely he could ever return to his original form - even with the rallying keeping him active, his training regime would have been severely disrupted and his stamina would take some time to recover.

CoopsII wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:Am I the only person here who thinks that Kubica should be in that Ferrari now?

I think in the Lotus he would've made Raikkonen pay a bit more attention in drivers briefings thats 'for sure'. Heck, if Robert was his team-mate Kimi may even have felt they need to attend them all!

If Kubica had not had his accident and was still driving for Lotus, I would be willing to bet that Kimi would not be there at all - it was Kubica's accident that drove Lotus to hire Kimi in the first place, because they felt that Kimi was the driver with the closest mindset to Kubica that was on the market at the time.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Nope. If BMW had let him go to replace Massa back in 2009, things could've turned out very different - I'm certain he would've walked the title in 2010, for starters...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Rubens Barrichello deserved another year in IndyCar.
Trump 2016
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

darkapprentice77 wrote:Rubens Barrichello deserved another year in IndyCar.

I thought he left on his own terms? Still, I think he would have been good in IndyCar this year.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
darkapprentice77 wrote:Rubens Barrichello deserved another year in IndyCar.

I thought he left on his own terms? Still, I think he would have been good in IndyCar this year.

Only after he was shut out of a ride at KV.
Everything's great.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

There should be a return of The Race of Two Worlds, to be held twice a year, once at either COTA or Montreal, and once at Monza or Silverstone.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

dr-baker wrote:There should be a return of The Race of Two Worlds, to be held twice a year, once at either COTA or Montreal, and once at Monza or Silverstone.

This doesn't seem like a bad idea...

Actually, I'd like to see it happen!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

dr-baker wrote:There should be a return of The Race of Two Worlds, to be held twice a year, once at either COTA or Montreal, and once at Monza or Silverstone.

It would probably lead to Takuma Sato dominance! I like that idea of Takuma Sato being the top contender.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Nah, do it at Indy, Race 1 on the road course, Race 2 on the oval, then go down the street to the drag strip for Race 3. Done!
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
mario

Post by mario »

go_Rubens wrote:

This doesn't seem like a bad idea...

Actually, I'd like to see it happen!

Whilst the concept might be interesting, I suspect that the current IndyCars that are used would not be competitive against the current F1 cars.

The current IndyCar is quite a bit heavier than the current F1 cars (710kg against 642kg at the moment and 685kg for 2014) and slightly less powerful, and, given that F1 designs purely with road courses in mind, whilst IndyCar has to compromise the design slightly between road and oval courses, you would expect an F1 can to outperform an IndyCar around a circuit like COTA. There would also be the question of how long the race would be given that IndyCars, since they can refuel mid race, have much smaller fuel tanks than F1 cars (they can only hold 70 litres whilst the current F1 cars could probably hold slightly more than double that).
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Their needs to be a more direct route through karting and single seaters into f1
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

roblomas52 wrote:Their needs to be a more direct route through karting and single seaters into f1

I concur with that. NASCAR has a very orderly system when compared to F1.
mario

Post by mario »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:Their needs to be a more direct route through karting and single seaters into f1

I believe that part of the problem is that, under EU competition laws, the FIA is not allowed to specify a set path to F1 as that would effectively create illegal monopolies at each level of competition.
If, for example, the FIA made it compulsory for a prospective driver to go through the European F3 series, that would effectively kill off most, if not all, of the national F3 series given that nobody would want to compete in a series that was a potential dead end career path. One of the chief complaints about GP2 is the fact that, as the series is seen as the primary route into F1, there is excessive price gouging by the organisers as there is not enough competition at that level (some spare parts for GP2 cost in the order of 5-10 times the price of the equivalent part in FR3.5 because of that), which is in turn leading to more and more pay drivers entering the ranks of GP2.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Jocke1 wrote:
darkapprentice77 wrote:I would like to see Marco Andretti in F1 one day.

And then, with 3 races remaining of the season, he'd get replaced with Hugo Hakkinen.

That is :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

If anyone wants to know what Hugo looks like, here is a Finnish URL.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Julien

Post by Julien »

Lol just like his father :D
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Jules Bianchi, Sergio Pérez and Romain Grosjean are future WDCs.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

good_Ralf wrote:Jules Bianchi, Sergio Pérez and Romain Grosjean are future WDCs.

Not unpopular with me :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

good_Ralf wrote:Jules Bianchi, Sergio Pérez and Romain Grosjean are future WDCs.

That statement was probably more accurate last year. Now Grosjean's good races are fewer and farther between, despite the fact that he's been crashing way less than before, and despite the fact that Bianchi finally has his big F1 break, he hasn't impressed since Australia, and he is with Marussia... and don't forget Perez who, thanks to what has to be the worst McLaren ever made, is now sodding his career in half

Sigh... I can only dream...
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Unsure how unpopular it is, but I actually really like the current formula as it is now.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

I'm afraid Grosjean is regressing. Bianchi might win one in five to ten years when Vettel's Red Bull isn't as powerful or strong as a racing machine but that requires Bianchi in the Ferrari and Newey to lay an egg with the Red Bull.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

SgtPepper wrote:Unsure how unpopular it is, but I actually really like the current formula as it is now.

Quite honestly, I do kinda like the formula now but there can be improvements to the formula.

An unpopular (or not) opinion here: The new regs in 2014 can see really great on track action.

I think Grosjean is regressing, Bianchi will do it on a good car, and Pérez is bound to do it when McLaren recovers.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

mario wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:

I believe that part of the problem is that, under EU competition laws, the FIA is not allowed to specify a set path to F1 as that would effectively create illegal monopolies at each level of competition.
If, for example, the FIA made it compulsory for a prospective driver to go through the European F3 series, that would effectively kill off most, if not all, of the national F3 series given that nobody would want to compete in a series that was a potential dead end career path. One of the chief complaints about GP2 is the fact that, as the series is seen as the primary route into F1, there is excessive price gouging by the organisers as there is not enough competition at that level (some spare parts for GP2 cost in the order of 5-10 times the price of the equivalent part in FR3.5 because of that), which is in turn leading to more and more pay drivers entering the ranks of GP2.

The GP2 problem is almost certain to into problems with if it is nothing but paydrivers though.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

mario wrote:...One of the chief complaints about GP2 is the fact that, as the series is seen as the primary route into F1, there is excessive price gouging by the organisers as there is not enough competition at that level (some spare parts for GP2 cost in the order of 5-10 times the price of the equivalent part in FR3.5 because of that), which is in turn leading to more and more pay drivers entering the ranks of GP2.

Which leads me to my unpopular opinion:

The stewards need to start throwing the rulebook at the GP2 grid. Immediately. I mean, Cecotto's merely the tip of the iceberg as there have been multiple instances during GP2 races this year which have made me wince. And the fact that GP2's a virtual madhouse goes a long way to explaining Grosjean's and Perez's driving this year, as it seems to me they picked up their hyper-aggressive tendencies from the GP2 ranks (Not that it's necessarily a bad thing if they can use the aggression without barging into walls or other cars, mind you).
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
takagi_for_the_win

Heres one thats not gonna go down well with certain members

I like Paul di Resta

Yes, I said it
TORA! TORA! TORA!
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Heres one thats not gonna go down well with certain members

I like Paul di Resta

Yes, I said it

Me too. TBH I don't understand why he gets so much hate here?
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

ibsey wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:Heres one thats not gonna go down well with certain members

I like Paul di Resta

Yes, I said it

I think he's a good driver, but I don't like his personality.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

ibsey

Post by ibsey »

go_Rubens wrote:
ibsey wrote:

I like Paul di Resta

Yes, I said it

I think he's a good driver, but I don't like his personality.

If the truth be told, whenever Paul gets interviewed after a race in the drivers pen. I usually get distracted by a really foxy Force India PR girl in the background (the tall blonde). So find it hard to pay attention to what Paul's is actually saying :lol:
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Imola should return to the calendar. I think there could be really good racing under the current and hopefully the new formula next year.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

go_Rubens wrote:Imola should return to the calendar. I think there could be really good racing under the current and hopefully the new formula next year.

Imola has never really had a good race. I'm glad it was booted off the calendar, albeit 20 years too late.
Everything's great.
takagi_for_the_win

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:Imola should return to the calendar. I think there could be really good racing under the current and hopefully the new formula next year.

Imola has never really had a good race. I'm glad it was booted off the calendar, albeit 20 years too late.

This. I can't speak for pre-94, but since all the chicanes and whatnot were introduced, the flow of the circuit went completely. Too many races there saw a complete lack of overtaking, even by the standards of the time.

Also, economically speaking it would be impossible. Sagis, the company that owns (owned?) Imola, was making losses on the race, and the race lacked financial viability from 2000 on.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I like Paul di Resta

Yes, I said it

I don't mind him, I just hate how BBC act as if he's the second coming of Jesus Christ. ITV done the same thing with Lewis Hamiton.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

FullMetalJack wrote:

I like Paul di Resta

Yes, I said it

I don't mind him, I just hate how BBC act as if he's the second coming of Jesus Christ. ITV done the same thing with Lewis Hamiton.

One thing describes Paul di Resta, "OVERRATED."

I mean, seriously? Paul is pretty good at driving a car, but not as good as say, Alonso, at driving. The way the British media rave about him is absurd and just plain pointless. It's like rooting for a guy that you have no idea who he is...
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

F1 needs to get rid of Monaco and Silverstone.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Dj_bereta wrote:F1 needs to get rid of Monaco and Silverstone.

There are perfectly sound reasons to get rid of Monaco, but I think Silverstone requires some explanation.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Dj_bereta wrote:F1 needs to get rid of Monaco and Silverstone.

No... NEVER!!!!!

I think they should stay, so F1 keeps some of its heritage of the '50s. They may not see the best action, but they should stay. If one of them goes, I'll throw out an opinion and say that Bremgarten should come back to F1 to keep its heritage. The Swiss have lifted the ban. In 2007 :roll:

And since possibly both could go some day, a mythical return to the Nürburgring Nordschleife! :D

F1 needs to stay near its origins and follow its heritage in Europe. Sure, have a race in Asia, a few in North and South America, one in Africa and Australia, but that is it. All but one or two Tilkedromes are in Asia, and that I feel is a bit much.

Plus, around 12 or 13 tracks have been built or modified in some way by Tilke on the calendar, and only seven European rounds! Come on!!!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:There are perfectly sound reasons to get rid of Monaco, but I think Silverstone requires some explanation.

It's an awful racing track. I dare you to name one single bloody good Formula One race at Silverstone in the last 20 years that was good without relying on rain or religious fanatics.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Klon wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:There are perfectly sound reasons to get rid of Monaco, but I think Silverstone requires some explanation.

It's an awful racing track. I dare you to name one single bloody good Formula One race at Silverstone in the last 20 years that was good without relying on rain or religious fanatics.

True. I can't think of any...
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

go_Rubens wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:Unsure how unpopular it is, but I actually really like the current formula as it is now.

Quite honestly, I do kinda like the formula now but there can be improvements to the formula.

An unpopular (or not) opinion here: The new regs in 2014 can see really great on track action.

What improvements would you have suggested to the current formula? And I confess I have spent very little time as of yet researching the 2014 regs due to final year exams. When I look at some of the slightly insane regulations that F1 has had in the past (in my mind the best x results of the 80s which IIRC cost Prost a championship), or my personal pet peeve of grooved tyres, it does seem like there is quite a nice balance currently.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
mario

Post by mario »

Wizzie wrote:
mario wrote:...One of the chief complaints about GP2 is the fact that, as the series is seen as the primary route into F1, there is excessive price gouging by the organisers as there is not enough competition at that level (some spare parts for GP2 cost in the order of 5-10 times the price of the equivalent part in FR3.5 because of that), which is in turn leading to more and more pay drivers entering the ranks of GP2.

Which leads me to my unpopular opinion:

The stewards need to start throwing the rulebook at the GP2 grid. Immediately. I mean, Cecotto's merely the tip of the iceberg as there have been multiple instances during GP2 races this year which have made me wince. And the fact that GP2's a virtual madhouse goes a long way to explaining Grosjean's and Perez's driving this year, as it seems to me they picked up their hyper-aggressive tendencies from the GP2 ranks (Not that it's necessarily a bad thing if they can use the aggression without barging into walls or other cars, mind you).

I can't see that being unpopular - if anything, I, and I believe a number of other posters, feel that too many drivers in GP2 are now driving too recklessly and endangering others, and the leniency shown by the stewards means nothing is done to correct those dangerous habits. Grosjean and Perez might have been accident prone, but their moves, whilst sometimes clumsy, have at least not been malicious. By contrast, some of the moves in GP2 by some drivers show calculated malice towards others, and that, I feel, should be severely dealt with.

go_Rubens wrote:
Klon wrote:

True. I can't think of any...

Silverstone, to my mind, is one of those tracks where the driver tends to enjoy the spectacle more than the spectator, in some ways. The problem is, traditionally there have been very few places around the venue where a driver could get past somebody else - the racing line through the high speed complexes is too narrow, and the difference in speed at that point too small, for a pass to be feasible through those sections.

Meanwhile, the braking zones are quite short and infrequent (Silverstone used to have the lowest percentage of lap time spent on the brakes, IIRC, at about 9%), making it very difficult to outbrake somebody into the few slow corners. The move to mid race refuelling only exacerbated that trend further (because it shortened the braking zones even more), whilst the fact that Silverstone is also a highly aero dependent track - due to the number of high speed corners, it has traditionally been one of the higher downforce tracks on the calendar - also tended to cause greater field spread, since it accentuates the difference in aerodynamic efficiency between the cars.
OK, the modifications to the regulations have removed some of those issues, but Silverstone still doesn't really have that many places where passing is feasible, so it is unlikely that you will see much of a difference in performance in the short term.