Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - 2013 Canada

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Shizuka

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - 2013 Canada

Post by Shizuka »

based on the assumption that, at any moment in time, there is a non-zero probability that even the slowest, most inexperienced and least reliable of underdogs might win the race. That under every rock, there might be a gold nugget. This is the award for that first podium that we all celebrate, for the overtake no-one was expecting, for Charles Pic's first win. This is the award, in short, for the driver or team that makes you go "Woah! Where did THAT come from?!".

Just remember: this is a feel-good award, that will focus on nothing but track action.
Usual rules: everyone gets two votes. First vote is worth 10 points, the second 6.

Post your results until 14th.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Alextrax52

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - 2013 Canada

Post by Alextrax52 »

1 Jean Eric Vergne (First top 6 for Torro Rosso since the Vettel era and he's taken the First step towards unrejectification)
2 Fernando Alonso (Honestly i didn't see that coming. I thought Hamilton would have stayed 2nd)
tkcom

Post by tkcom »

Vergne
Quietly into P6 and one step towards unrejectifying.

Sutil
A spin, broken rear wing, a drive through and somehow ended up in the point.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Kimi-ICE wrote:2 Fernando Alonso (Honestly i didn't see that coming. I thought Hamilton would have stayed 2nd)

Yes, because Alonso on the podium is a huge surprise. You don't see that very often these days. :roll:

1. Paul di Resta - 57 laps on one set of tyres. Did Force India smuggle a set of Bridgestones into Montreal or something?
2. Jean-Eric Vergne - Very solid drive in general. Did his career no end of good today.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

1. Vergne
2. Sutil / Di Resta split

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

1. Vernge: 6th in a Torro Rosso!

2. Di Resta: 17th to 7th! Nuff said!
Last edited by DOSBoot on 09 Jun 2013, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Kimi-ICE wrote:2 Fernando Alonso (Honestly i didn't see that coming. I thought Hamilton would have stayed 2nd)

Yes, because Alonso on the podium is a huge surprise. You don't see that very often these days. :roll:

1. Paul di Resta - 57 laps on one set of tyres. Did Force India smuggle a set of Bridgestones into Montreal or something?
2. Jean-Eric Vergne - Very solid drive in general. Did his career no end of good today.

Considering that Vettel and Hamilton were unchanged for the entire race i thought Alonso wouldn't do it
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

1 - Vergne
2 - Di Resta
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

1: Force India
2: Vergne
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1st Di resta- Good result AGAIN!
2nd Vergne - another good race
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Kimi-ICE wrote:Considering that Vettel and Hamilton were unchanged for the entire race i thought Alonso wouldn't do it

And a double world champion and the best driver on the grid managing that is more surprising than di Resta going 57 laps on a set of tyres? Image
Everything's great.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

1) Di Resta
2) Vergne
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
The Dutch Bear

Post by The Dutch Bear »

1) Di Resta
2) Vergne
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

1.5) Di Resta
1.5) Vergne

Give them 8 points each from me.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

1. Jean-Éric Vergne: Best race result for STR since Brazil 2008 (by none other than Vettel).
2. (shared, 3 points for each) Paul di Resta: Doing such a long stint on one set of tires was very impressive. His recent races have been very good so I think he should get a new nickname: TDFKAGOM (The Driver Formerly Known as "Glass of Milk").
Valtteri Bottas: Yes, he was nowhere in the race but he still deserves some points for qualifying third in that crap car. Admittedly, it was good in the wet but one can't really praise a car which is barely faster than Caterham and Marussia.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Meatwad wrote:His recent races have been very good so I think he should get a new nickname: TDFKAGOM (The Driver Formerly Known as "Glass of Milk").

He picked up the Glass of Milk moniker for his extreme lack of charisma, not for his driver ability. Which led to this.
Everything's great.
mario

Post by mario »

1. Vergne - came under quite a bit of pressure in the opening laps, but managed to keep up his pace and ended up with a quiet, but very solid, 6th place. He'd shown promising pace during the practise sessions, but really delivered on it in the race to take some very well deserved points.
2. Di Resta - credit where it is due, managing to preserve the tyres for that many laps and work your way up into 7th from 17th on pace (since there was very little attrition) deserves to be brought up. I didn't expect his strategy to be that effective, but to give him his dues it worked surprisingly well.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

1.-Jean-Eric Vergne, for a clean race without incidents and points that count in the internal struggle of the Toros
2.-Paul di Resta, back from the bottom, lasting tires that fade with others.

Honorable mentions to Valteri Bottas, for making the Williams reach Q3 and 3rd on the grid, and the duel between Alonso and Hamilton that made up for a dull race.

The Clash of the Titans Award goes to Felipe Massa, as he outbrake Raikkonen on fading tires. Not bad for a man that destroyed three chassis in two straight weekends
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

1) Di Resta - Amazed that he managed that long on one set of tyres
2) Vergne - Yet again, proof that my Fantasy F1 ability is abysmal. 2 races in the points since I sold him just before Monaco. And brought Hulkenberg in...
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. Vergne - brilliant qualifying and brilliant race while his team-mate struggled
2. Force India - great tyre management for di Resta, Sutil drove well with damaged car before forgetting what blue flag means.
Svenko Wankerov

Post by Svenko Wankerov »

JEV for getting the result on pace alone and not throwing his team under the bus.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

1. Jean-Eric Vergne - His best result, and a step towards unrejectification. A really confident and assured drive.
2. Paul Di Resta - Had a really poor qualifying, and although according to him his team got it wrong on Saturday, they got it oh-so-right in the race. Di Resta made it work too.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

1. Di Resta
2. Vergne
James1978

Post by James1978 »

1. Vergne
2. Di Resta

Honourable mention to Bottas for qualifying, same about the race.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

1. Paul di Resta. I still can't get over how he managed 57 laps on a single stint.
2. Jean-Eric Vergne. Solid drive to net 6th.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

1. Jean-Eric Vergne
2. Paul di Resta
TORA! TORA! TORA!
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

1. Vergne
2. Alonso
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Who do I hate more, Vergne or di Resta?

1. Vergne
2. Di Resta

(Worst race for IIDOTR ever...)
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Im putting Paul Di Resta for drive of the race: Somehow getting medium tires to go for 57 laps was quite an impressive feat, and getting from Q1 positions up to points well well deserved.

Im not sure why Vergne is getting such attention from this race though. He did not show up at all throughtout the race here in North America (even the commentators were asking where he was). So he gained 2 places by being in no-mans-land, I don't really know why is that considered better than going from the back up towards the top like Di Resta and Grosjean (almost) did.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

James1978 wrote:1. Vergne
2. Di Resta

Honourable mention to Bottas for qualifying, same about the race.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:Im putting Paul Di Resta for drive of the race: Somehow getting medium tires to go for 57 laps was quite an impressive feat, and getting from Q1 positions up to points well well deserved.

Im not sure why Vergne is getting such attention from this race though. He did not show up at all throughtout the race here in North America (even the commentators were asking where he was). So he gained 2 places by being in no-mans-land, I don't really know why is that considered better than going from the back up towards the top like Di Resta and Grosjean (almost) did.

I'll make a case for JEV, if I may.

Last year, if you estimated Vergne would drop out in the first part of qualifying...you'd be right 9 times out of 10. However, he put together the package this weekend; he doubled up his racepace with a brilliant qualifying and barely put a foot wrong. I think he did an excellent job; just because he wasn't making an obvious impression didn't mean he didn't do an outstanding job. Plus, he definitely put his highly-rated teammate in the shade...which is a bonus, I guess. 6th place for a Toro Rosso driver in this day and age is a pretty good result.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Just think, with the pre-2003 points system, the whole F1 world would have gone insane :)
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Ataxia wrote:
CaptainGetz12 wrote:Im putting Paul Di Resta for drive of the race: Somehow getting medium tires to go for 57 laps was quite an impressive feat, and getting from Q1 positions up to points well well deserved.

I'll make a case for JEV, if I may.

Last year, if you estimated Vergne would drop out in the first part of qualifying...you'd be right 9 times out of 10. However, he put together the package this weekend; he doubled up his racepace with a brilliant qualifying and barely put a foot wrong. I think he did an excellent job; just because he wasn't making an obvious impression didn't mean he didn't do an outstanding job. Plus, he definitely put his highly-rated teammate in the shade...which is a bonus, I guess. 6th place for a Toro Rosso driver in this day and age is a pretty good result.

Well I agree with the fact that Toro Rosso has gotten better, being the 2nd best of the midfielders at this point (unless we're counting Mclaren is midfield now as well).

I guess many events happen away from the cameras that help drivers ascend up. Hell, you can say that about most reject drivers here when they were still racing in F1, and in this season, Raikkonen has gotten a lot of his points from under the radar come to think of it.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

He was the same in Monaco, completely anonymous and only finished eighth because of Raikkonen and Perez (Vergne made 1 pass all race, on Di Resta for 9th just before the red flag, and lost the spot a lap later anyway). Here, though, he showed much better pace, managed to make his tyres last, and took a well deserved 6th place (as much as it annoys me). That, added to Ricciardo's struggles, makes his race, and his entire weekend really, absolutely stunning.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

1. Vergne. He should crush this award hands down.

2. Sutil. Messy race, but ended up in the points.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

1.--Bottas:No matter how far he dropped in the race,that quali performance and some great defensive driving left my mouth agape.

2.--Vergne: ONE STEP TO UNREJECTIFICATION!
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

JEV, as much as I'm pained to admit it he out-drove Daniel in every part of the weekend, and 6th in a Toro Rosso is no mean feat.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. Vergne, sixth in a Toro Rosso
2. Uhhh, di Resta? Sure.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

JEV
Bianchi
Just For One Day...
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

1. Force India: di Resta from 17th to 7th with a mega-long stint on tyres that usually fall apart within minutes. Sutil also on points despite an early spin, rear wing damage courtesy of Maldolan and a DTP.
2. Jean-Eric Vergne: Great qualifying and a clean race to take one step towards unrejectification. Miles ahead of his hapless team mate.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"