The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Salamander

Re: The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing threa

Post by Salamander »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:NASCAR Reject of the Race: Kyle Busch for inducing a 13 car wreck with overly aggressive driving on lap 42 (too early).

ROTR should be Stenhouse. That move he tried was never never never going to work and he should've known that.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:NASCAR Reject of the Race: Kyle Busch for inducing a 13 car wreck with overly aggressive driving on lap 42 (too early).

ROTR should be Stenhouse. That move he tried was never never never going to work and he should've known that.

Stenhouse is a rookie in NASCAR's top series, Kyle Busch on the other hand has been around for 9 years.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:

Stenhouse is a rookie in NASCAR's top series, Kyle Busch on the other hand has been around for 9 years.

He's a 2-time Nationwide series champ, and this is far from his first plate race. I don't see why he shouldn't know better.
Everything's great.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:He's a 2-time Nationwide series champ, and this is far from his first plate race. I don't see why he shouldn't know better.

Busch only loses this one due to wrecking first (earlier in the race). Ricky's a dishonorable mention.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

If JPM doesn't win in the next four Cup races, it will be 100 races since his last Cup win :roll:
-*:-
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I'm trying to figure out who has the record, official or unofficial, of most starts/races in one season, from Nascar's Big 3 series combined.

I wonder if it is Kyle Busch?
In 2009 he raced in 86 races in the Big 3 combined.
And he actually has three 80+ seasons, and five 70+ seasons.

The closest drivers I can find are Kevin Harvick and Carl Edwards with both at 71. Mark Martin's best is 57.
I would love to find like a Top 10 list or something.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Jocke1 wrote:I'm trying to figure out who has the record, official or unofficial, of most starts/races in one season, from Nascar's Big 3 series combined.

I wonder if it is Kyle Busch?
In 2009 he raced in 86 races in the Big 3 combined.
And he actually has three 80+ seasons, and five 70+ seasons.

The closest drivers I can find are Kevin Harvick and Carl Edwards with both at 71. Mark Martin's best is 57.
I would love to find like a Top 10 list or something.

It is Kyle Busch.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Onxy Wrecked wrote: It is Kyle Busch.

Do you know it for sure?
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

Jocke1 wrote:If JPM doesn't win in the next four Cup races, it will be 100 races since his last Cup win :roll:

He nearly did it in Richmond a few weeks ago. Leading the race with a few to go with a small gap over Kevin Harvick when the caution came out and it all went downhill from there.
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Jocke1 wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote: It is Kyle Busch.

Do you know it for sure?

Because nobody else runs three series at once in a season.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

OK, so I have a really significant question, that I hope somebody can answer (and which I hope that I will be able to debate). Today, I saw my first ever live oval race trackside! Pick-up trucks at Rockingham Motor Speedway! (The rest of this post will make it clear which of the two Rockingham Speedway ovals I am referring to!) OK, so there was no Nelson Piquet Jnr., there were only 16 trucks, averaging 150 mph or so, around the 1.5 mile, 4-turn oval, and each of the two races each last 35 laps (approx 25-30 mins), with Vauxhall-branded trucks winning. So, it's England (of course it is, considering I am half-way through an 8-week placement in north London...). So yesterday, they go out on a damp, but drying track, and they are able to go and practice and qualify without incident for 30 minutes (the only incident of any note was one truck getting sideways on cold tyres as he was leaving the pits at the very start of the session. No yellows, nothing hit, and the truck goes on to compete in the session as if nothing had happened). Their first race is in the dry and the race is great, with the two leading trucks finishing the race 0.05 seconds apart, while lapping a gaggle of four other trucks (none of whom had yet been shown the 'last-lap flag yet, so both flags were being waved concurrently as two of the four were deemed to have been lapped while two had not as all 6 crossed the line within a second of each other. Wished I had a photo of that...). But the second race was really rather wet. And guess what? THEY RACED AT 150 mph OR SO CONTINUOUSLY FOR 35 LAPS! One truck at one point got sideways while alongside another, but escaped hitting anything and continued on his way without a safety car. Another did spin, and glanced the pit wall, but no major damage or debris, and he too got going, but only after all the other trucks had passed (waiting sensibly for a safe moment - only problem is that the safety car had already been deployed in the meantime. Que sera sera).

So my question is: since I have now watched American-style pickup trucks racing on a 1.5 mile American-style oval without major incident, why on earth don't Americans race on ovals in the rain? (At least, the junior series? I might allow a bit of slack for those series attaining 200+ mph round these tracks...).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

dr-baker wrote:OK, so I have a really significant question, that I hope somebody can answer (and which I hope that I will be able to debate). Today, I saw my first ever live oval race trackside! Pick-up trucks at Rockingham Motor Speedway! (The rest of this post will make it clear which of the two Rockingham Speedway ovals I am referring to!) OK, so there was no Nelson Piquet Jnr., there were only 16 trucks, averaging 150 mph or so, around the 1.5 mile, 4-turn oval, and each of the two races each last 35 laps (approx 25-30 mins), with Vauxhall-branded trucks winning. So, it's England (of course it is, considering I am half-way through an 8-week placement in north London...). So yesterday, they go out on a damp, but drying track, and they are able to go and practice and qualify without incident for 30 minutes (the only incident of any note was one truck getting sideways on cold tyres as he was leaving the pits at the very start of the session. No yellows, nothing hit, and the truck goes on to compete in the session as if nothing had happened). Their first race is in the dry and the race is great, with the two leading trucks finishing the race 0.05 seconds apart, while lapping a gaggle of four other trucks (none of whom had yet been shown the 'last-lap flag yet, so both flags were being waved concurrently as two of the four were deemed to have been lapped while two had not as all 6 crossed the line within a second of each other. Wished I had a photo of that...). But the second race was really rather wet. And guess what? THEY RACED AT 150 mph OR SO CONTINUOUSLY FOR 35 LAPS! One truck at one point got sideways while alongside another, but escaped hitting anything and continued on his way without a safety car. Another did spin, and glanced the pit wall, but no major damage or debris, and he too got going, but only after all the other trucks had passed (waiting sensibly for a safe moment - only problem is that the safety car had already been deployed in the meantime. Que sera sera).

So my question is: since I have now watched American-style pickup trucks racing on a 1.5 mile American-style oval without major incident, why on earth don't Americans race on ovals in the rain? (At least, the junior series? I might allow a bit of slack for those series attaining 200+ mph round these tracks...).

The rain tires would shred due to the banking putting as much as 3,000 pounds of on each tire for a Sprint Cup car. Simply, the tires couldn't handle the g load or heat buildup from the high banked corners. Might be able to race in the rain at Martinsville or New Hampshire, but no other oval is both flat enough and slow enough to run rain tires.
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
dr-baker wrote:So my question is: since I have now watched American-style pickup trucks racing on a 1.5 mile American-style oval without major incident, why on earth don't Americans race on ovals in the rain? (At least, the junior series? I might allow a bit of slack for those series attaining 200+ mph round these tracks...).

The rain tires would shred due to the banking putting as much as 3,000 pounds of on each tire for a Sprint Cup car. Simply, the tires couldn't handle the g load or heat buildup from the high banked corners. Might be able to race in the rain at Martinsville or New Hampshire, but no other oval is both flat enough and slow enough to run rain tires.

The American trucks are also much heavier than the ones that you saw. The US trucks weigh in at 3,400 lbs (1500 kg), compared to the much lighter UK trucks, which only weigh 1,900 lbs (870kg). More weight, more stress on the tires. A wet weather compound just wouldn't be able to cope with the sheer forces brought on by the heavy pickups.
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Hound55 wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:
dr-baker wrote:So my question is: since I have now watched American-style pickup trucks racing on a 1.5 mile American-style oval without major incident, why on earth don't Americans race on ovals in the rain? (At least, the junior series? I might allow a bit of slack for those series attaining 200+ mph round these tracks...).

The American trucks are also much heavier than the ones that you saw. The US trucks weigh in at 3,400 lbs (1500 kg), compared to the much lighter UK trucks, which only weigh 1,900 lbs (870kg). More weight, more stress on the tires. A wet weather compound just wouldn't be able to cope with the sheer forces brought on by the heavy pickups.

Also the American trucks can reach 185 mp/h at Michigan, Daytona, and Talladega suggesting they are also more powerful or at least geared for even higher speeds than the UK truck. Rockingham (the UK oval, and not the one in North Carolina) is a mile and a half track with flat banking of 3.3 to 8 degrees in the corners. Only New Hampshire (2 to 7 degrees) has less banking in any part of the racing line than the UK Rockingham circuit.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Just out of Intrest, who on this forum thinks NASCAR should race at Rockingham motor speedway here in the U.K with Speed and BBC joint hosting the coverage?
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:Also the American trucks can reach 185 mp/h at Michigan, Daytona, and Talladega suggesting they are also more powerful or at least geared for even higher speeds than the UK truck. Rockingham (the UK oval, and not the one in North Carolina) is a mile and a half track with flat banking of 3.3 to 8 degrees in the corners. Only New Hampshire (2 to 7 degrees) has less banking in any part of the racing line than the UK Rockingham circuit.

That being said, Rockingham was actually one of the fastest ovals on the CART calender for the two years it was on it, as strange as it may seem.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

roblomas52 wrote:Just out of Intrest, who on this forum thinks NASCAR should race at Rockingham motor speedway here in the U.K with Speed and BBC joint hosting the coverage?

I'd like to see it. Problem is that the backmarkers wouldn't be able to get there due to money limitations.

also, Speed only does pre and post-race coverage for NASCAR. Fox, TNT, and something else whose name is evading me actually cover the Sprint Cup races.
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

roblomas52 wrote:Just out of Intrest, who on this forum thinks NASCAR should race at Rockingham motor speedway here in the U.K with Speed and BBC joint hosting the coverage?

With EuroRacecar and UK Pickup trucks as support series? I would rather see IndyCar come over to be honest. There were rumours of IndyCar coming over to Italy this year, but hasn't happened. A European double-header of Monza and Rockingham could be epic...

And thanks to the answers to my question, guys. Glad it wasn't a potential-lawsuit-if-there-was-a-big-crash kind of answer!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

dr-baker wrote:With EuroRacecar and UK Pickup trucks as support series? I would rather see IndyCar come over to be honest. There were rumours of IndyCar coming over to Italy this year, but hasn't happened. A European double-header of Monza and Rockingham could be epic...

And thanks to the answers to my question, guys. Glad it wasn't a potential-lawsuit-if-there-was-a-big-crash kind of answer!

J.D. McDuffie died in 1991 and his widowed wife unsuccessfully sued NASCAR so it's not lawsuits, but the engineers at Goodyear not having full confidence than rain tires could be used at most of the tracks.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
dr-baker wrote:With EuroRacecar and UK Pickup trucks as support series? I would rather see IndyCar come over to be honest. There were rumours of IndyCar coming over to Italy this year, but hasn't happened. A European double-header of Monza and Rockingham could be epic...

J.D. McDuffie died in 1991 and his widowed wife unsuccessfully sued NASCAR so it's not lawsuits, but the engineers at Goodyear not having full confidence than rain tires could be used at most of the tracks.

Ahh, OK. I did not know about that. Belated sympathies to the family of J.D. McDuffie. With that background, I would be averse to allowing my rubber being used in those circumstances. But at least here in England, it happens successfully. Are there any other forumites who have watched oval racing in the wet?
MCard LOLA
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

dr-baker wrote: Are there any other forumites who have watched oval racing in the wet?

Only when I flush my toilet...you know...because of the swirling...:?
nome66

Post by nome66 »

Jocke1 wrote:
dr-baker wrote: Are there any other forumites who have watched oval racing in the wet?

Only when I flush my toilet...you know...because of the swirling...:?

CART
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

dr-baker wrote:Ahh, OK. I did not know about that. Belated sympathies to the family of J.D. McDuffie. With that background, I would be averse to allowing my rubber being used in those circumstances. But at least here in England, it happens successfully. Are there any other forumites who have watched oval racing in the wet?

The lawsuit involved the unsafe fence at turn 5 at Watkins Glen. The oddity was Talladega (fences low enough for a barrel rolling car to go overtop the wall) and Pocono (boiler plate walls on the outside and guard rails and berms of soil for large sections the inside) were probably less safe at that time. It was dry in the McDuffie incident at least on the racing surface, but Goodyear would be scared shitless if they had to race on most ovals or banked turns (I suspect turn 5 of banking of about 8 to 14 degrees) in the rain such as turn 5 at Watkins Glen where J.D. died
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

I hate to be the one to make this post, but Dick Trickle committed suicide in a cemetery... I don't think this article does not get across exactly how good Trickle was. People have lost count of the number of races he's actually won in Wisconsin, and the number of victories credited to his name is at least 1200.

I went to the Chicagoland Cup race last year with my dad, and we sat next to two women, one of whom had a #99 tattoo with Dick Trickle's name on it. He was a much greater driver than most people realize. It's sad that his life apparently went sour after his NASCAR career ended.

If you need something to uplift your spirits after that, the NASCAR Hall of Fame is planning a Danica exhibit, which if that isn't comedy gold then I don't know what is.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Cynon wrote:I hate to be the one to make this post, but Dick Trickle committed suicide in a cemetery... I don't think this article does not get across exactly how good Trickle was. People have lost count of the number of races he's actually won in Wisconsin, and the number of victories credited to his name is at least 1200.

I went to the Chicagoland Cup race last year with my dad, and we sat next to two women, one of whom had a #99 tattoo with Dick Trickle's name on it. He was a much greater driver than most people realize. It's sad that his life apparently went sour after his NASCAR career ended.

If you need something to uplift your spirits after that, the NASCAR Hall of Fame is planning a Danica exhibit, which if that isn't comedy gold then I don't know what is.

I give my condolences to the Trickle Family.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
Cynon wrote:I hate to be the one to make this post, but Dick Trickle committed suicide in a cemetery... I don't think this article does not get across exactly how good Trickle was. People have lost count of the number of races he's actually won in Wisconsin, and the number of victories credited to his name is at least 1200.

I give my condolences to the Trickle Family.

Seconded
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I read the Autosport article on Dick Trickle just before coming onto this forum. A sad day, particularly given the apparent circumstances. I just pray that he now has found peace.

And my earlier question, tied into reading about the death of J.D. McDuffie (although not on an oval at the time), reminded me of Dan Wheldon's recent death on an oval. It is clear that the race I saw was just a completely different series, that was presumably designed around British weather and European racing culture, where rain does not stop play. It is a dangerous sport, and I can understand why the American racing community does not allow it.
MCard LOLA
johnnyCarwash

Post by johnnyCarwash »

Anyone watch the Coca-cola 600? I've been reading reports about a cable snapping and damaging cars and injuring fans :? seems a very bizarre incident...
The ChiltonCraze at the British Grand Prix
FIA driver press conference announcer wrote:On pole position for his home grand prix for the first time, Max Chilton
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

johnnyCarwash wrote:Anyone watch the Coca-cola 600? I've been reading reports about a cable snapping and damaging cars and injuring fans :? seems a very bizarre incident...

I watched a bit of the race. A camera cable snapped and fell on the track, which cars got tangled up in and fans were injured.

Not to be a spoiler, but Harvick won the race. My ROTR goes to Martin for starting an accident which brought out a second red flag. A weekend of red flags, of you ask me.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

johnnyCarwash wrote:Anyone watch the Coca-cola 600? I've been reading reports about a cable snapping and damaging cars and injuring fans :? seems a very bizarre incident...

Yeah. It was a pretty dull race besides. Easily the worst race of the weekend.
Everything's great.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Well, it pleases me that I didn't see it then. The Indy 500 and Monaco GP were both pretty good, so had a lot to live up to (as well as both being a lot more prestigious internationally than the Coke 600 - being longer =/= better).

PS. Interesting that both Indy and Monaco were being discussed on here while they were going on, but not the NASCAR race. Hmmm...
MCard LOLA
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

dr-baker wrote:

Well, it pleases me that I didn't see it then. The Indy 500 and Monaco GP were both pretty good, so had a lot to live up to (as well as both being a lot more prestigious internationally than the Coke 600 - being longer =/= better).

PS. Interesting that both Indy and Monaco were being discussed on here while they were going on, but not the NASCAR race. Hmmm...

Because for most people here, NASCAR isn't that interesting :lol:
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Fox still has no idea about what caused the cable to fail. That to me was proof that maybe the fanbois are right, maybe Rowdy is all bad luck all the time. If he so much as looks at his motors the wrong way they blow, and then, when leading, has a cable cut his front end off. How does that happen?

NASCAR Fun Fact of the Day: Mark Martin, who has only run 11 races this year, and Denny Hamlin, who missed 4 races with a back injury, are both ranked higher in points than Danica Patrick, who has started every race.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Meanwhile, as his crew chief has just returned from being suspended, Brad Keselowski's car has failed post-race inspections, and is looking at another penalty. :|

I'm calling bullshite and standing up on this one. This is just ridiculous.
Everything's great.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Meanwhile, as his crew chief has just returned from being suspended, Brad Keselowski's car has failed post-race inspections, and is looking at another penalty. :|

I dunno, I always did wonder how Penske kept those Dodges so damn competitive with no support at all.......

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Wallio wrote:NASCAR Fun Fact of the Day: Mark Martin, who has only run 11 races this year, and Denny Hamlin, who missed 4 races with a back injury, are both ranked higher in points than Danica Patrick, who has started every race.

Luca Badoer has more points than Danica.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wallio wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Meanwhile, as his crew chief has just returned from being suspended, Brad Keselowski's car has failed post-race inspections, and is looking at another penalty. :|

I dunno, I always did wonder how Penske kept those Dodges so damn competitive with no support at all.......

No, it's just ridiculous. If that was the case, how the hell did they keep it under wraps through all last year and then suddenly start blowing it now?
Everything's great.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Wallio wrote:

No, it's just ridiculous. If that was the case, how the hell did they keep it under wraps through all last year and then suddenly start blowing it now?

(Places Tin-Foil Hat firmly on Head) Well it was Dodge's last year, and they were still thinking of staying (going with either RPM or Denver Mattress, or Both) as late as July, so maybe they needed some motivation..........? And the factory Dodge Pro Stock Team was kicked out of the NHRA for cheating a few years ago as well........ (removes tinfoil hat)

But seriously, it is a little strange no?

Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Wallio wrote: (Places Tin-Foil Hat firmly on Head)
(removes tinfoil hat)

:lol:
nome66

Post by nome66 »

Wallio wrote:

because they're using roush motors in them.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.