The Hungaroring and Hungary - university project

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
QuickYoda41

The Hungaroring and Hungary - university project

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Hi fellas!

I was wondering if you could help me with a minor university project of mine. All you have to do for that is to fill in the next form until next Monday:

Your country:
First Hungarian GP you watched:
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar:
Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world:
If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location:
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM:
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not:
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not:
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring:
Bonus: if you have ever visited Hungary, what were your impressions:

If approriate quantity of answers will accumulate, F1rejects forum will be part of a univesity presentation. Thank you for the help in advance.
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: The Hungaroring and Hungary - university project

Post by Ataxia »

First Hungarian GP you watched: 1997
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: I don't know; I find the races are a bit hit or miss so it depends on other mitigating factors.
Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Czech Republic
If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: Eastern Europe, next to Austria.
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: Gabor Kiraly, Peter Halmosi, Laszlo Biro
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: Yeah, wouldn't mind seeing Budapest. It's apparently quite a nice place.
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: I dunno, never really thought about it. I'll say no, just because there's places I'd rather live in.
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: Both Damon Hill and Jenson Button won their first races at the Hungaroring, and then won the WDC three years later. Yeah. Fun fact right there.

EDIT: Missed the "my country" bit...
Last edited by Ataxia on 29 Apr 2013, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

My country:
Scotland

What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar:
It's nice to have a country in that part of Europe with a race, giving many of the surrounding countries with no race an opportunity for spectators to go to.

Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world:
Slovakia (Slovakia Ring)

If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location:
In the central/eastern European cluster along with Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia etc.

Vladimir Koman, Gabor Weber, Zoltan Gera

Yes. Apparently it's one of the cheapest places to go see F1. Also, it's a different culture. And the drink is cheap!

At this moment, no. I'm sure it's okay, but there are other places I would choose above it (Italy or Iceland).

A Hungarian won the first ever grand prix motor race (Ferenc Szisz) and a Hungarian was also the top scorer in international football for the entire 20th century (Ferenc Puskas).
Last edited by DemocalypseNow on 29 Apr 2013, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Your country: UK
First Hungarian GP you watched: 1987
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar:Happy, its a historic track.
Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world:Austria
If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location:Smack in the middle-ish of Europe
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM:Granville From Open All Hours. Thats it.
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not:Yes
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not:Yes
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring:"Monaco with out the walls" Hill&Villenueve in 97. Winning my first ever PS1 Formula One race playing as Martin Brundle in a Ligier, took some doing I'll tell ya
Just For One Day...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

First Hungarian GP you watched: Would have been mid 90s. I'll say 1995
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: Mixed. Good in the sense that it brought F1 to countries beyond the Iron Curtain, but also somewhat negative because the racing there is pretty dull.
Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Bulgaria, or Czech Rep./Slovakia
If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: Central/Eastern Europe
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: Zoltan Gera, Gabor Talmacsi (is he Hungarian?), erm...
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: Definitely somewhere like Budapest for a city break style trip, or the F1 of course!
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: No, language barrier primarily
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: What happened to the Balatonring?
Bonus: if you have ever visited Hungary, what were your impressions: Not visited
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

First Hungarian GP you watched: First one I remember watching was 2006
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: I wasn't alive when it was added - but I'm fairly neutral about Hungary's presence today.
Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Czech Republic
If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: East of Austria, north of the Balkans.
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: Norbert Michelisz, Ferenc Szisz... that's actually it. :oops:
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: Yeah, I suppose I'd like to visit there, if for no reason other than it's nice to visit new places.
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: Definately not, not from what I've heard about the politics.
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: Nothing that immediately comes to mind.
Last edited by Salamander on 29 Apr 2013, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

My country: United States
First Hungarian GP watched: 2001
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: The Hungasnoring should go. Boring racing.
Which country would be the first you say has a potential appropriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Czech Republic (Brno)
If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe it location: Eastern Europe, towards Southern Europe, next to Austria
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: Laszlo Biro, János Áder, Gabor Kiraly
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: I would go anywhere in that region of Europe and maybe be a spectator at the GP.
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: There are better places to live.
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: Damon Hill nearly won the '97 GP in an Arrows. The country has a great record in football (or soccer).
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

It's good to see people responding even if there is no potential gain for the posters. Every student has to go through this stuff, always bothering people to answer their questionnaires etc etc. If you're not at Uni yet, I suggest you get a post in here, because one day you'll be in exactly this situation!

But sometimes there will be uni work happening here in other ways too; when I was asked to develop an "alternative map of Edinburgh" I created something much like the specimens in the Track Designing Competition thread, albeit tidied up into a nicer looking graphics format. It scored 75%, which I was surprised with. And right now I'm producing a music video for Aerond's band as well. So there's a lot that we can do here.

Image Image
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Nothing different compared to all the other countries.
Bulgaria. The Sofia Grand Prix.
Planet Earth. 47d 26m North 19d 15m East.
Tom Cruise. Hungarian President János Áder. Franz Liszt, one of the greatest pianists of all time.
Heck yes. I considered going there already when Hakkinen still raced, but I opted for other places instead.
No. I like it where I live now. And I wouldn't have the patience or talent to learn the language.
Hungary is a country. 0.74% of the country's area consists of water. In 1514, the weakened old King Vladislaus II faced a major peasant rebellion led by György Dózsa, which was ruthlessly crushed by the nobles, led by John Zápolya. Hungarorings first wet Grand Prix was in 2006.
-*:-
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Your country:
Australia

back in 1989, it seemed a bit exotic being behind the Iron Curtain; now I'm fairly neutral

Which country would be the first you say as a potential appropriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world:
I'll be boring and say Czech Republic - would love to see F1 cars around Brno

In the centre of the New Europe (thanks Michael Palin), surrounded by Austria, Slovenia, Slovakia, Croatia, Serbia, Romania and the Ukraine

Ferenc Szisz, Ferenc Puskas, Imre Nagy (if I could have a 4th I'd say Franz Liszt, and if I had a 5th I'd say Laszlo Urge, better known in Australia as Les Murray)

Yes, its history is fascinating, its culture and language is unique, and Budapest in particular is so photogenic

No - by all accounts the language is impenetrable. That was confirmed when I read the back of my hair gel bottle which was in English, Polish, Czech, Slovakian and Hungarian, and the latter was by far the most intractable!

About Hungary: only five countries have won more Summer Olympic gold medals than Hungary
About the Hungaroring: if you squint long enough you realise it looks like a camel sitting down

No, but I'll be (briefly) going to Slovenia in June - will that count?
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Hungary is also spelled Yragnuh backwards. Sounds intimidating.
-*:-
girry

Post by girry »

Your country: Finland
First Hungarian GP you watched: Probably '99
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: At that time I wasn't too aware of the World to pay any attention.....now though, thinking about it, Hungary is probably the least 'typical' country you can find on the calendar; it's neither an especially traditional motor racing country, nor a rich country in Asia - so if they didn't have a track but announced the plans to build one and have a race now, I would probably laugh them off! :lol:
Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Probably Poland if a new track was to be built....
If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: One of the many countries east of Germany but well before Russia comes
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: (someone I know in person) - Bela Illes - Ferenc Puskas - Balasz Dzsusdzak
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: Yes, Hungary's on my 'to-see' list - Budapest apparently is a nice city, soo...
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: Not planning to live anywhere else
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: I like Hungarians. Plus the language is cool also.
Last edited by girry on 29 Apr 2013, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
when you're dead people start listening
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Your country: Germany
First Hungarian GP you watched: 1996
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: Meh. It's not the best track in the world, but there are worse.
Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: The Czech Republic with Brno.
If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: East of Austria
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: Viktor Orban, Norbert Michelisz, Adam Szalai
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: Sure, why not? Maybe I'll visit the Hungarian Grand Prix some day.
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: Not really, due to the, urm..."ultra conservative" government currently in power, plus Jobbik holding 1/3 of the seats in the parliament. Mind you, it about "living" there.
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: Goulash, the Balaton and Hungary's strange (but understandable) affection for the WTCC.
MIA SAN MIA!
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Your country:Singapore

First Hungarian GP you watched:2004

What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar:Not much of a feeling,apart from the fact that I had taken an interest to Zsolt BaumgartnerHey,I doubt your uni professor knows who HWNSNBM is,so I added his name for clarity

Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Croatia

If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: Eastern Europe.

Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM:Ferenc Puskas,Lazlo Kiss,Ferenc Szisz

Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not:Yes.Looks absolutely stunning from what I've seen on the inter-web.Also may have a chance to attend the Grand Prix

Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not:No,due to a language barrier and a whole lot of other countries that I would prefer to stay in e.g. France,UK,Norway

Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring:Hungary might be a boring race,but can produce some pretty magical races that can go down in history,like Mansell's 1989 victory with that pass and Damon Hill's moment for Arrow's in 1997.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
nome66

Post by nome66 »

Your country: USA
First Hungarian GP you watched: first i saw 2002, first i watched Flag to Flag, 2008
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: meh, no positive or negative feelings. what really got me is the fact that it started back in 1986 when it was a part of The USSR.
Which country would be the first you say as a potential appropriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Maybe Austria or Poland if they have a grade 1 circuit.
If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: Behind the old Iron Curtain, next door to Austria.
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: Nick Baumgartner(snowboarder and Offroad Racer), Felix Baumgartner(that space jumper dude), and Erno Rubik
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: Yes. Heard they have some killer breweries and sausage. almost better than Germany.
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: No. Sounds boring.
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: I haven't seen anyone go into turn 1 on full opposite lock since they've renovated the track.
Bonus: if you have ever visited Hungary, what were your impressions: Never been, would totally go if i were on a European roadtrip to cover beer spots.
Last edited by nome66 on 29 Apr 2013, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Your country: Ireland
First Hungarian GP you watched: 2001
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: Surprise, as it's not a particularly wealthy country, or one with much of an F1 heritage.
Which country would be the first you say as a potential appropriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Austria probably, has the track and infrastructure. I suppose if you wanted to have a race in eastern Europe then Czech Republic would be the best bet.
If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: Well I can't imagine a friend of mine not knowing that, but probably 'to the east of Austria'.
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: Franz Liszt, Ferenc Puskas, Victor Orban
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: I was in Budapest for 3 days last summer while interrailing, and it was one of the best parts of our trip. We had been in Munich and Austria, then Budapest, then down to Dalmatian coast in Croatia on a night train. Lovely city. Possibly the best part was that we were upgraded to a really really ridiculously nice apartment overlooking the Danube, because our hostel was overbooked!
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: No, not any sleight against Hungary as a country but if I were to emigrate it would be to somewhere with guaranteed employment for an arts graduate who only speaks English (i.e. I may as well stay in Ireland).
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: The more Hungary integrates with Western Europe the better I'd say, it (and I'd presume the country as a whole) seems kind of caught between 3 places; modern, cosmopolitan European city, former Imperial post and post-Communist grey drabness. And the Hungaroring, well it's not the best track we can all agree, but I have no problem with it. Has delivered some good races in the last 10 years.
Bonus: if you have ever visited Hungary, what were your impressions: The Hungarian language is mental. In Germany/Austria, we were able to converse at least to some extent in German, same in Croatia (please/thanks etc.), but in Budapest we were just lost. Most people were happy to speak English (some with startling fluency, a good sign as regards tourism!) so that was good. Elizabeth Island is a great amenity, Dublin has something similar with the Phoenix Park and it really adds something nice to a city to have a nice park. Only negative of our stay was that Keleti station is in feckin' dodgy area.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Your country: United States
First Hungarian GP you watched: 2011
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: I like the Hungaroring, so I'm always happy to see it return
Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Austria for the A1-Ring
If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: Eastern Europe
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: Norbert Michelisz, Tamas Pal Kiss, Erno Rubik
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: No, just because I'm not big on vacations/travel
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: No, I like where I am now and I don't want things to change
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: The Hungaroring is a challenging, busy circuit where passing is difficult, but everyone likes Monaco and hates it for some reason
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Sounds like an interesting project.

First Hungarian GP you watched: 1994
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: If I’m honest, I wondered how the hell it got on the calendar in the 1st place. For a long time I use to think that Bernie’s (now ex) wife was Hungarian (TBH I still don’t know exactly where she was originally from?). So I like to think that it was all down to her & the ‘special things’ she use to do in the bedroom, which ‘persuaded’ Bernie to hold a GP there :lol: .

Also thought the race shouldn’t be held in mid August, as up until 2006 we never had a wet GP. Also as an Alesi fan, it was always the race where Jean used to struggle relatively speaking. Before we got to two of his best tracks Spa & Monza. So Hungary used to be my least favourite GP of a season.

Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: I’d say Austria & the old A1 ring track might be a decent replacement. Close by & the a1 track usually produced a decent enough race (even if the layout wasn’t the greatest in terms of driving). Alternatively remodel it back to how it used to be in 1987 (when it was called the Österreichring) then you have winner. Also agree with Shinji comments in that I suppose if you wanted to have a race in eastern Europe then Czech Republic would be the best bet.

If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: Eastern Europe / one of the counties behind the former Iron Curtain…(before I’d tell my mate he was being a pleb for asking such a stupid question).

Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: Imre Nagy (after watching Micheal Palin’s New Europe series…which I love all of his travel programmes).

A Hungarian Politian (whom I don’t know the name of but I vaguely recall his face), who was supposed to be working in government in 1989 under the Soviets. But was secretly in communication with the US & taking steps to bring about the end of the iron curtain. IIRC in the summer of 1989 he was responsible taking down the barbed wire fence (AKA the iron curtain) along Hungary’s border. When the Soviets asked what he was doing, he said he couldn’t afford to maintain it anymore more…but really he was just testing to see how they might react to such a move. He did other stuff like this as I say explain later on. Basically I hate 99.9% of all Politian’s with a passion. This bloke (is the only politician I’ve ever actually respected, for his very brave actions).

Don’t know any other famous Hungarians. I’ve been lucky enough to meet an amazing Hungarian girl in my travels over the years…put it like this I won’t be forgetting her in a hurry.

Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: Yes, if only to meet the forementioned Hungarian girl again. Also Budapest looks amazing.

Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: In principle yes. Although there are a few countries which are ahead of Hungary in my list of places I would like to live in. Although if I was to see that Hungarian girl again…I might be persuaded to stay, given the 'special things’ she use to do in the bedroom ;) .

I find it interesting how around the time of the race in 1989 (like that same month, possibly even weekend), the Hungarian political leaders (especially the Politician I mentioned earlier whom I don’t know the name of) were making some very brave first steps that would eventually lead to the fall of the iron curtain. Basically what they did was organise a national party / picnic and smuggle anyone who wanted to leave the Eastern block across the Hungarian border for one day only. When ever I rewatch the 1989 F1 race at Hungaroring, I always think of that picnic happening within the country around the same time.

I also read ages ago, that when they originally built the Hungaroring, the construction workers stumbled across a natural spring, underneath where the proposed circuit was due to be laid. Which meant that the circuit layout had to therefore be altered from the original plan. I don’t know exactly where this might have been, but if I was to guess I would imagine it was just after turn 3 (where IIRC in the 1st few years of the race they had that extra section before turn 4).

EDIT; Also in the 1997 race Shinji Nakano finished ahead of Trulli, Irvine (whom IIRC spun off after fighting with Nakano on the last lap), Berger & Alesi. :shock:

Bonus: if you have ever visited Hungary, what were your impressions: I’ve been through Hungary on a train (when IIRC I was interrailing a few years ago). I don’t believe I stopped off though. I remember thinking it did look quite nice actually, a bit underrated as a travel destination I seem to remember. I certainly wouldn’t mind going back there again one day.
Last edited by ibsey on 29 Apr 2013, 15:52, edited 5 times in total.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Your country: Ireland
First Hungarian GP you watched: 2003
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: Not much. Some races can be good, some bad
If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: Eastern Europe
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: Gabor Kiraly, Ferenc Puskas, Zoltan Gera
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: Yeah, the weather seems nice
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: Probably not, as it would entail learning a whole new language
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: I am beast at the track on F1 2009
Bonus: if you have ever visited Hungary, what were your impressions: N/A
TORA! TORA! TORA!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Your country: Belgium
First Hungarian GP you watched: 2005
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: "Oh cool, I didn't know there was a track there"
Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Czech Republic (Brno)
If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: Somewhere between the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Austria
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: Sandor Kocsis, Ferenc Szisz and Erno Rubik
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: Definitely. It looks like a very interesting country.
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: Not really. The language barrier looks very tough.
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: Budapest was originally two separate cities, called Buda and Pest (clutching at straws, here)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Your country: United Kingdom
First Hungarian GP you watched: 1997
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: Ambivalence: the circuit may not be conducive to good racing, but it often produces eventful races nonetheless.
Which country would be the first you say as a potential appropriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Austria (Red Bull Ring)
If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: A relatively small landlocked country towards the east of central Europe. East of Austria, south of the Czech Republic, west of Slovakia and north of the Balkans.
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: Bela Bartok, Zoltan Kodaly, Franz Liszt.
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: Yes, because I like visiting new countries and I haven't yet been there. People I know who have visited have also spoken highly of it (food, scenery, historic towns and cities.
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: No, because I don't speak Hungarian and it's very hard to learn as it is not part of the Indo-European linguistic group.
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: N/A
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

First Hungarian GP you watched: 1996
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: Before my time, but glad it's a regular race
Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Austria - RBR
If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: Eastern Europe, below Russia
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: Zoltan Gera. Miklos Feheer. erm, stuck on the third one
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: Yes. I understand the culture is fantastic
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: No. Eastern Europe doesn't appeal to me.
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: Track has only changed a little in the last 20 years, but throws up an exciting race now and again. (1997, 2006)
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Your country: Hungary
First Hungarian GP you watched: 2001
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: Not bad
Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Austria
If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: I'd describe which countries share borders with us.
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: Albert Szent-Györgyi, Norbert Michelisz and János Neumann
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: Cannot answer, native Hungarian
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: Cannot answer, native Hungarian
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: „Our country performs better”, plus the Hungaroring is almost guaranteed to have a dry race due to our weather
Bonus: if you have ever visited Hungary, what were your impressions: Cannot answer, native Hungarian

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

First Hungarian GP you watched: 1999 I guess.

What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: Yeah, it's alright. Nice to see a country you wouldn't normally expect to see on the calendar.

Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Austria

If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: Central/Eastern Europe

Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: Ferenc Szisz, Zolten Gera, Ferenc Puskas

Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: Probably not, as I'm not a big fan of travelling outside the UK.

Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: Language appears to be incredibly hard to learn. The weather's a bit too hot for my liking. :lol:

Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: Damon Hill losing the win in 1997 is truly one of the saddest moments in recent F1 history. Conversely, the 2006 race was one of the best F1 moments of the past 10 years, on par with Maldonado's win.

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Your country: England
First Hungarian GP you watched: either 1992 or 1993 (Mansell winning the title, or Damon's first win)
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: Nothing really. It was just another country hosting just another GP. I was about 10 or 11 at the time. Knew nothing about world politics and stuff.
Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Germany? Poland? Russia?
If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: Central Europe, "behind the former Iron Curtain"
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: Ferenc Szisz, pass, and no idea
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: Possibly. It would be a good distance for a road trip, and it would give me a chance to drive on Germany's autobahnen to get there...
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: Language barrier. But it's in the EU. With a different currency. And a long way from my friends and relatives...
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: I would perhaps like to attend the race one day. I imagine it'll be cheaper than many other GPs to visit...

EDIT: I answered the above without having read others' responses. Surprised nobody has mentioned Zsa Zsa Gabor as a(n) Hungarian. I'm surprised I forgot Norbert Michelisz. And I am surprised that I forgot Austria was near Hungary!
Last edited by dr-baker on 29 Apr 2013, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

I send you a private message containing my reply.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Your country: United Kingdom
First Hungarian GP you watched: Probably it would have to be the 199 Hungarian Grand Prix, but seen as I don't remember that I'm going to have to say the 2003 Hungarian Grand Prix
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: Pleased. The track has tradition, and although some races tend to be boring, it often throws up a good race and is far better than tracks such as Bahrain. If I'd have been alive before the track was added to the calendar, I'd have been suprised someone had built a track there but eager to see how it would turn out
Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Austria (A1 Ring) Although I'd be happy with both on the calendar
If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: Eastern Europe, near Austria and the Czech Republic
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: Norbert Michelisz and Tamas Pal Kiss
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: I'd love to visit Hungary; I love to travel and see the world, as much as a cliche as it sounds. Maybe even for the Hungarian Grand Prix
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: No, I wouldn't like to live in Hungary. Simply because although it's good to see the world, home is always best, and if I were forced to move, there are better places to live than Hungary
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: My uncle's girlfriend is Hungarian. He goes on regular visits with her to Budapest, and he likes it there although I've never been myself. I haven't spoken with her much, mainly because my uncle doesn't like arranging family visits.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

First Hungarian GP you watched: 1986! (Am I the only one here bloody old enough?!)

What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: Intrigued to see how many people would turn up, more than what the actual circuit would be like.

Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Erm...Slovakia Ring's a bit rubbish, so is Brno. How about Romania - are there any tracks there?

If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: Central Europe, near Austria.

Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: Laszlo Balint (entirely due to Espana 82 Panini stickers), Laszlo Kiss (ditto), Ferenc Puskas.

Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: Absolutely, it looks like a lovely place to visit. If flights were available from Birmingham or East Midlands, we probably would.

Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: No. The language barrier mainly.

Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: Since I've already mentioned the 1982 World Cup, that 10-1 win over El Salvador is not easy to forget, especially the non-qualification for the next round despite this. As for the Hungaroring, I have vivid memories of the 1990 race for some reason - I think because I was mortally offended by Senna punting Nannini off.

mario

Post by mario »

First Hungarian GP you watched: 2000
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: When I first found out about the event, I was a little surprised at its significance on the calendar (this was before finding out about its role as the first F1 race behind the Iron Curtain). These days, whilst the race doesn't always produce good races due to its tight and twisting layout, nevertheless it is an interesting enough venue from the point of view of the driver and having a slow speed track does at least provide a contrast to the prevalence of medium speed tracks on the calendar.
Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Austria's Red Bull Ring would be the most logical choice given that it has the appropriate FIA licence.
If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: Like most other posters, I'd describe it as being to the East of Austria.
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: To be honest, the only ones that came to mind were László Bíró and John von Neumann
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: I certainly would consider visiting Hungary given its rich architecture and history.
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: No, mainly because of the language barrier.
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: On the topic of the language, it is said to be a particularly unusual structure compared to the rest of Europe (being more closely related to Finnish and Estonian than, say, German) and a subject of considerable interest amongst language specialists.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Your country: United Kingdom
First Hungarian GP you watched: Probably it would have to be the 199 Hungarian Grand Prix, but seen as I don't remember that I'm going to have to say the 2003 Hungarian Grand Prix

Wow, I didn't know it had been around for that long.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
I forti sopravivono

Post by I forti sopravivono »

Your country:
The Netherlands

Nothing very special to be honest.

Poland

Hungary is in the central of Europe, east to Austria and south to the Czech republic/Slovakia

I don't know one :o (I have to google)

Yes, to discover an other country I've never visited before and I saw nice pictures of Budapest from a friend.

Never say never, but it's not on the top of my list of countries to move to (I think it's economy is much worser than here and it appears to be not the most save and gay-friendly country but I can be wrong).

Damon Hill's race in 1997
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Your country: US
First Hungarian GP you watched: I'd like to say it was in 2002 or so.
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: A nice circuit
Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Don't think there is a very good alternative as Brno is a bit bad and the other permanent tracks in Eastern Europe leave much to be desired.
North of Serbia, south of Poland and to the east of Austria.
Zsa Zsa Gabor, Peter Gogolak (NFL kicker who introduced a new kicking style that is dominate in the the NFL), and Erno Rubik (his cube is famous)
Yes, I'd want to visit most of Eastern Europe for that matter.
Not really, Montenegro has lower taxes as does Serbia.
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: I consider the Hungaroring a historically important track in F1 due to it being the first F1 event behind the Iron Curtain.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:Your country: United Kingdom

Wow, I didn't know it had been around for that long.

It was men dragging carts round the track and it took about 17 hours :lol:
Just For One Day...
tc3j3r

Post by tc3j3r »

What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: Indifference, I was too young to even really know where Hungary was, let alone understand the politics/history behind it.
Which country would be the first you say as a potential appropriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Poland, they were probably the Eastern European country with the most devoted fanbase when Kubica was around, if he returns then he needs a home race. If not, something to cheer them up. Also, probably a bit to far away to be classed as "that part of the world", but there's a language connection between Hungary and Finland. Finland really needs a GP, it's by far the greastest F1 nation never to have had one!
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: A friend of mine who's half Hungarian, Imre Nagy, Janos K-something (the guy who took over as communist leader after the 1956 uprising)
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: Maybe in the distant future. I've never been to Eastern Europe for money reasons, I expect I'll go to Eastern Europe one day when I have the money, but there are other East European countries which would be higher on the priority list like Greece, but if/when I tick them off I may get round to Hungary eventually.
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: No, I could never live in a country where I couldn't speak the language, and I'm to lazy to learn a new language
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: The Hungarian GP always attracted a large contingent of Finnish fans to cheer on Hakkinen/Raikkonen/whoever, in lieu of an actual Fninnish GP, despite the vast geographical distance between the two countries.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Your country: United States
What were your feelings when finding out that Hungary is/will be part of the Formula One calendar: Meh. I'd never really investigated Hungary other than some cursory glances at a map, so I was mostly indifferent.
Which country would be the first you say as a potential approriate replacement for Hungary in the F1 calendar in the same part of the world: Austria or Brno
If a friend of yours would ask: 'where the hell is Hungary?', how would you describe its location: In Eastern Europe, near Austria and Slovenia.
Name the 3 Hungarians coming first into your mind after HWNSNBM: Franz Liszt, Ferenc Puskas and Sandor Kocsis
Would you ever consider to visit Hungary? Why/why not: Sure, there's lots of historical relevance in that area.
Would you ever consider to live in Hungary? Why/why not: Not really, it's very far from home and I wouldn't know how to speak to anybody.
Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: I love how all the Finnish fans come out in droves to the Hungaroring to support the Finnish driver du jour. Now that there'a Russian race, will that be changing?
Bonus: if you have ever visited Hungary, what were your impressions: Sorry, never been.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Can I just put it out there that I'm mildly fascinated by who people are naming as their three other Hungarians ... it's providing an insight as to the things people are into. Good stuff!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

tristan1117 wrote:Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: I love how all the Finnish fans come out in droves to the Hungaroring to support the Finnish driver du jour. Now that there'a Russian race, will that be changing?

Probably not, given that it's way out near the Caucasus Mountains.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

eytl wrote:Can I just put it out there that I'm mildly fascinated by who people are naming as their three other Hungarians ... it's providing an insight as to the things people are into. Good stuff!

Two footballers and a racing driver for mine doesn't really provide any new insight into myself though, it was already pretty much out there :lol:

Image Image
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
tristan1117 wrote:Other interesting things you want to add about Hungary and the Hungaroring: I love how all the Finnish fans come out in droves to the Hungaroring to support the Finnish driver du jour. Now that there'a Russian race, will that be changing?

Probably not, given that it's way out near the Caucasus Mountains.

I'd say now the Finns would show up twice a year instead of once in large numbers.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Stramala wrote:
eytl wrote:Can I just put it out there that I'm mildly fascinated by who people are naming as their three other Hungarians ... it's providing an insight as to the things people are into. Good stuff!

Two footballers and a racing driver for mine doesn't really provide any new insight into myself though, it was already pretty much out there :lol:

For mine, I was very tempted to mention the Monty Python sketch where John Cleese plays a Hungarian bloke who knows no English & walks into a tobacconist armed only with a phase book… :lol:

(I especially like the phase; ”Do you want to come back to my place…bouncy, bouncy!”. A great chatup line in a club as it generates some interesting results to say the least. "Nudge Nudge" ;) ;) ).

EDIT; Here it is for anyone who hasn't seen it yet;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6D1YI-41ao
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/