Most Forgettable Drivers

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
Gerudo Dragon

Re: Most Forgettable Drivers

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

I forgot that Mika Salo and Norberto Fontana raced in '97.
Trump 2016
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

pi314159 wrote:Michael Bartels and Franck Lagorce

I'm sure I've said this somewhere before (can't be bothered to check) but I will always remember Franck Lagorce for his amazing aquaplaning Ligier and him getting out with his hands on his hips in classic 'WTF just happened there?' pose.

I *think*, though it doesn't seem to be credited as such, that this picture is on the front of Richard Williams's "Racers" book - certainly looks like a LIgier to me anyway.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

I tend to forget Bernd Schneider was an F1 driver, since I mainly remember him for his DTM successes.

Also find Chico Serra's on-track F1 career rather forgettable.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

darkapprentice77 wrote:I forgot that Mika Salo and Norberto Fontana raced in '97.

Brundle mentioned a conspiracy theory involving Fontana and his sauber during the GP at Jerez... so not so forgetable
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:
tc3j3r wrote:No-one seems to have mentioned Robert Doornbos here, presumably because everyone's forgotten about him...

You're right, he was quite forgettable...

I had to check to remind myself that he did in fact enter 3 races for Red Bull. I had completely forgotten about that.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

WeirdKerr wrote:
darkapprentice77 wrote:I forgot that Mika Salo and Norberto Fontana raced in '97.

Brundle mentioned a conspiracy theory involving Fontana and his sauber during the GP at Jerez... so not so forgetable

I believe Norberto 'came clean' on that conspiracy a couple of years ago. Claiming that Ferrari did indeed ask him to hold JV up slightly in that race. Whether he was just saying that for publicity or not is an entirely different matter of course.

RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

ibsey wrote:Also find Chico Serra's on-track F1 career rather forgettable.

I only remember him because of his birthday :lol:
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:
kostas22 wrote:Massimiliano Papis. Son-in-law of Emerson Fittipaldi, godson of Alex Zanardi, but still inherited none of their talent.

I don't think it's easy to forget the only driver who was able to be slower than Taki Inoue. :D

And not get ran over by the safety car.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

eurobrun wrote:

I remember him because of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx4681a9DVI :lol:
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

tommykl wrote:
eurobrun wrote:

I remember him because of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx4681a9DVI :lol:

I thought someone might bring that up. That's why I specifically said his 'on track F1 career'. As I can't remember what he achieved in an F1 car or even who he drove for & at what GP's (without looking it up). Seems he will always be better remember for that fight rather anything he managed to achieved on track. Thanks for the video though, hadn't seen that for a while.

ibsey

Post by ibsey »

I'm willing to bet that Guy Ligier isn't universally remembered for his short F1 driving career either.

Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

ibsey wrote:I'm willing to bet that Guy Ligier isn't universally remembered for his short F1 driving career either.

I bet you are correct that most wouldn't know that Ligier was a F1 driver before he was an owner.
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Salo also raced in 94, which is probably pretty forgetable.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Allen Berg - keep on forget that he was in F1. Even despite having read his interview on this site.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
ibsey wrote:I'm willing to bet that Guy Ligier isn't universally remembered for his short F1 driving career either.

I bet you are correct that most wouldn't know that Ligier was a F1 driver before he was an owner.

And I would bet that most people would not be aware that Bernie Ecclestone is an F1 Reject.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

dr-baker wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:

And I would bet that most people would not be aware that Bernie Ecclestone is an F1 Reject.

Most people would not be aware that being an F1 Reject is a thing.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

andrew2209 wrote:

Salo also raced in 94, which is probably pretty forgetable.

Well, a driver, at that time, linked to Ferrari would only be forgettable because one might be to young?
girry

Post by girry »

Nick Heidfeld's Jordan stint had completely, utterly escaped my mind and not reminded me even once - before I noticed a mention of him in Pizzonia's profile here.

Even now after trying to remember about it, I only found a mental photo of him in that yellow Jordan in the first corner of Imola (and even that one could well be of Timo Glock instead :f )
when you're dead people start listening
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

giraurd wrote:Nick Heidfeld's Jordan stint had completely, utterly escaped my mind and not reminded me even once - before I noticed a mention of him in Pizzonia's profile here.

Even now after trying to remember about it, I only found a mental photo of him in that yellow Jordan in the first corner of Imola (and even that one could well be of Timo Glock instead :f )

If it was Imola, it probably wasn't Glock. Remember Pantano? Well probably not :lol:
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

This wrote:
giraurd wrote:Nick Heidfeld's Jordan stint had completely, utterly escaped my mind and not reminded me even once - before I noticed a mention of him in Pizzonia's profile here.

If it was Imola, it probably wasn't Glock. Remember Pantano? Well probably not :lol:

Speaking of Glock, the only time he ever did much of anything was in 2009. Sounds forgettable if you ask me.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
girry

Post by girry »

and I were 100% convinced Glock's first race was at Imola not Montreal, oh well :mrgreen:

from the period of my following of f1 (not the ones I know from history books and youtube) the most forgettable would be maybe ... Friesacher. Or more probably someone else I don't remember right now.
when you're dead people start listening
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

giraurd wrote:and I were 100% convinced Glock's first race was at Imola not Montreal, oh well :mrgreen:

from the period of my following of f1 (not the ones I know from history books and youtube) the most forgettable would be maybe ... Friesacher. Or more probably someone else I don't remember right now.

Nicholas Kiesa, perhaps?
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

giraurd wrote:and I were 100% convinced Glock's first race was at Imola not Montreal, oh well :mrgreen:

Nicholas Kiesa, perhaps?
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Friesacher is the guy that ended up last in the famous US Grand Prix in 2005, which is quite an achievement.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
This wrote:

Speaking of Glock, the only time he ever did much of anything was in 2009. Sounds forgettable if you ask me.

He was actually pretty decent in 2008 as well. Remember that storming drive to second place at Hungary that year?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

George Follmer, didn't even know he existed until a couple of minutes ago
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

While they're not forgettable at the moment, anyone who drives for Toro Rosso and doesn't end up at Red Bull probably won't be remembered by many, unless they do something spectatuclar.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

andrew2209 wrote:While they're not forgettable at the moment, anyone who drives for Toro Rosso and doesn't end up at Red Bull probably won't be remembered by many, unless they do something spectatuclar.

You're quite right. Liuzzi, Speed, Bourdais, Buemi and Alguersuari are all quite forgettable. The whole Toro Rosso team is quite forgettable in my opinion.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

pi314159 wrote:The whole Toro Rosso team is quite forgettable in my opinion.

Apart from being the guys who bought out the wonderful Minardi team. And then winning one of the few, rare wet Italian GPs in 2008, an honourary win for Minardi...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

dr-baker wrote:

Apart from being the guys who bought out the wonderful Minardi team. And then winning one of the few, rare wet Italian GPs in 2008, an honourary win for Minardi...

Thats what I dislike Red Bull for. They already had a team. There are feeder series for developing drivers. They bought Minardi and ruined it.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

pi314159 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Thats what I dislike Red Bull for. They already had a team. There are feeder series for developing drivers. They bought Minardi and ruined it.

The last part is very true, they basically sucked the soul out of Minardi, who overall is probably the most loved team of all time, as nobody seemed to dislike them. They're even my second favourite team of all time.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

dr-baker wrote:

Honourably? Pah. Red Bull have dragged that team through the mud, that win was like putting a microgram of Daz onto a muddy shirt in an effort to clean it. :evil:
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

But Minardi essentially went bust at the end of 2005, Red Bull just kept their staff in a job and made use of what was now a vacant entry. Much as I'm not a fan of the STR idea and Red Bull's pursual of a junior team, to make out Minardi as the victim of a hostile takeover from the Big Bad Corporation is just inaccurate. Furthermore I'd argue that much of Minardi's supposed heritage was lost upon Stoddart's purchase of the team, just because it wasn't renamed European Aviation F1 doesn't mean it wasn't just as cynical a marketing exercise.

I know Vettel drove for STR but try not to let blind hate distort your views of the past.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

pi314159 wrote:
andrew2209 wrote:While they're not forgettable at the moment, anyone who drives for Toro Rosso and doesn't end up at Red Bull probably won't be remembered by many, unless they do something spectatuclar.

You're quite right. Liuzzi, Speed, Bourdais, Buemi and Alguersuari are all quite forgettable. The whole Toro Rosso team is quite forgettable in my opinion.

Speed has all but vanished into start and park land in NASCAR. That is how far he has fallen from F1.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

shinji wrote:But Minardi essentially went bust at the end of 2005, Red Bull just kept their staff in a job and made use of what was now a vacant entry. Much as I'm not a fan of the STR idea and Red Bull's pursual of a junior team, to make out Minardi as the victim of a hostile takeover from the Big Bad Corporation is just inaccurate. Furthermore I'd argue that much of Minardi's supposed heritage was lost upon Stoddart's purchase of the team, just because it wasn't renamed European Aviation F1 doesn't mean it wasn't just as cynical a marketing exercise.

I know Vettel drove for STR but try not to let blind hate distort your views of the past.

First, I don't dislike Vettel. I dislike how they turned Minardi into Toro Rosso. With Paul Stoddart as owner, Giancarlo Minardi was still involved in the team. Red Bull could have sponsored Minardi, and Minardi would have run Red Bull junior drivers. That's quite common today (Gutierrez, Maldonado for example). But no, they had to throw Giancarlo out of the team and replace Minardi with that "Toro Rosso" name.
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Piercarlo Ghinzani was once forgotten by Murray Walker in qualifying for the '88 French GP
JJMonty
Location: Jersey! (The old one, not that American mk2 version!)

Post by JJMonty »

pi314159 wrote:
shinji wrote:But Minardi essentially went bust at the end of 2005, Red Bull just kept their staff in a job and made use of what was now a vacant entry. Much as I'm not a fan of the STR idea and Red Bull's pursual of a junior team, to make out Minardi as the victim of a hostile takeover from the Big Bad Corporation is just inaccurate. Furthermore I'd argue that much of Minardi's supposed heritage was lost upon Stoddart's purchase of the team, just because it wasn't renamed European Aviation F1 doesn't mean it wasn't just as cynical a marketing exercise.

First, I don't dislike Vettel. I dislike how they turned Minardi into Toro Rosso. With Paul Stoddart as owner, Giancarlo Minardi was still involved in the team. Red Bull could have sponsored Minardi, and Minardi would have run Red Bull junior drivers. That's quite common today (Gutierrez, Maldonado for example). But no, they had to throw Giancarlo out of the team and replace Minardi with that "Toro Rosso" name.

Minardi stopped being Minardi in 1994 - when first BMS took over, then Briatore, then Fondmetal. Minardi always had a share in the team, although it was a minority share compared to the other people involved.

Back on Subject, Gianni Morbidelli, I completly forgot about him until I was watching the review for F1 1991 in Australia last night! I am embarrased I managed to though as I always drove his Minardi on the F1 1991 mod for rFactor :oops:
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
pi314159 wrote:

Speed has all but vanished into start and park land in NASCAR. That is how far he has fallen from F1.

Bourdais is hard to forget in IndyCar/Champ Car circles for winning 4 titles in a row, for all the crap between him and Tracy, and how he nearly took a backmarker team to the podium in 2012. But his F1 tenure? Forgettable unless you're a fan of his! ...

...which would include me.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Verde

Post by Verde »

Anhtony Davidson in BAR, somebody?
http://www.bandeiraverde.com.br

The reject (and non-reject) side of motorsport. In Portuguese.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Cynon wrote:Bourdais is hard to forget in IndyCar/Champ Car circles for winning 4 titles in a row, for all the crap between him and Tracy, and how he nearly took a backmarker team to the podium in 2012. But his F1 tenure? Forgettable unless you're a fan of his! ...

...which would include me.

I remember Bourdais simply for the fact that he was screwed over in Fuji for the penalty he received in the incident with Massa. One of the most bullshit penalties ever given in F1.
I like the way Snrub thinks!