Rumour - Renault team to become .... PRODRIVE!!!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CarlosFerreira

Re: Rumour - Renault team to become .... PRODRIVE!!!

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I've said the same thing in another thread...

Ghosn made some uncomplimentary remarks about F1 recently, claiming that it was drifting out of relevance, with the challenge for car makers in the 21st century being all about ecology and sustainability. Renault recently launched four new electric models onto the market.

F1 needs to start thinking of cleaning up its act or it really will drift into irrelevance.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Dave Richards is no stranger at Enstone indeed.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
danardif1

Post by danardif1 »

For all we know it is just a study at the moment, they might come back to Ghosn saying it would be better to rebrand as Nissan, or in fact carry on as Renault...

Prodrive-Renault would be a good outfit I feel, Richards is a good team manager and has long harboured his own F1 ambitions... His Benetton days will bring some familiarity to Enstone and if Renault continue to provide engines they would be well-powered in that department...

I can see a Prodrive outfit morphing into Aston Martin though, or a Hyundai/KIA Korean backed team if the identity of Richards Asian backers is Korean...
KAMUI KOBAYASHI

After some more irreverant F1 debate? Join http://www.f1-nation.ning.com!
mario

Post by mario »

Hmm, it is an interesting rumour, and one which is seemingly gathering momentum, especially given that Renault are just about to hold a meeting to decide what will happen to the team. For example, the article in Autosport:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80424

Thinking about it, it does seem like a feasible way for Renault to back out of F1 without having to pay compensation to FOM or FOTA for breaking the Concorde Agreement - selling the team off as a going concern means that they can wriggle free of the contracts, whilst recouping some of the initial investment. Meanwhile, they could possibly stay on as an engine manufacturer for 2010 to supply the Red Bull team, thus maintaining some presence in F1.
I expect that Mercedes would be privately backing the deal as well - they are looking to supply more teams, and Prodrive's initial proposal would have used a Mercedes engine.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

First we have to see if Renault pulls out or not...
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

razta wrote:finally! :lol:

Careful - Prodrive might be a nice name to have on the grid, but they'd also be inheriting once of the worst teams of 2009. You run the risk of setting yourself up for serious disappointment in the same vein as Kamui Kobayashi if you expect too much of them.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Captain Hammer wrote:

Careful - Prodrive might be a nice name to have on the grid, but they'd also be inheriting once of the worst teams of 2009. You run the risk of setting yourself up for serious disappointment in the same vein as Kamui Kobayashi if you expect too much of them.

Come on, let's leave John Wayne-ashi out of it, shall we?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Captain Hammer wrote:

So, here's the drinking game:

One for every time Kostas takes an unprompted pop at Button and one for every time the Captain takes an unprompted pop at KK. We'll all be dead by 2010.

It's F1 Rejects. We don't do "serious disappointment".
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I'm up for it. Goodbye liver, we had a good run!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

I'm up for it as well. I'm known as a bit of a wine snob so let me whip up something especially for F1Rejects.

The only problem I foresee is I don't think Captain Hammer is of age to legally drink. I don't want to get in trouble for that!
elho

Post by elho »

joe saward said in his blog they have a secondary plan:
It seems that there was a secondary plan to sell the team to Gravity Racing International, a team which has been running a Mosler MT900R sports car in GT racing. The team belongs to financier Gerard Lopez, who made his fortune as an early investor in the Internet phone company Skype. Lopez tried to buy the Sauber team last summer but failed to land the deal. The team is related to Gravity Sport Management, which manages a number of drivers, notably Ho Pin Tung, which no doubt explains why the Chinese driver has been seen testing for Renault.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2009/12/ ... t-renault/
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

LionZoo wrote:I'm up for it as well. I'm known as a bit of a wine snob so let me whip up something especially for F1Rejects.

The only problem I foresee is I don't think Captain Hammer is of age to legally drink. I don't want to get in trouble for that!

Yikes, that could prove controversial!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

LionZoo wrote:The only problem I foresee is I don't think Captain Hammer is of age to legally drink. I don't want to get in trouble for that!

I'm twenty-three and have spent the better part of two years hanging out with a group of Moldovans. I'm ready. I can drink more than you can physically survive.
elho wrote:joe saward said in his blog they have a secondary plan:
It seems that there was a secondary plan to sell the team to Gravity Racing International, a team which has been running a Mosler MT900R sports car in GT racing. The team belongs to financier Gerard Lopez, who made his fortune as an early investor in the Internet phone company Skype. Lopez tried to buy the Sauber team last summer but failed to land the deal. The team is related to Gravity Sport Management, which manages a number of drivers, notably Ho Pin Tung, which no doubt explains why the Chinese driver has been seen testing for Renault.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2009/12/ ... t-renault/

I've heard the suggestion that Lopez nd Gravity will actually bankoll Prodrive's efforts.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Unless there are Czechs on the board, I should win any drinking game.

Czech Republic is apparently the only country that consumes more alcohol per head than Ireland.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Enforcer wrote:Unless there are Czechs on the board, I should win any drinking game.

Czech Republic is apparently the only country that consumes more alcohol per head than Ireland.

As a Finn, I strongly contest that point.

Well okay, in quantity maybe. But its the quality where the trick lies mate. drinking two liters of Koskenkorva is like drinking 20 liters of any Irish lager.

Even an Irishman would find himself under a table against a Finn if the contest was contested under Finnish rules!
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

I'm German, I can handle this.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Enforcer wrote:Unless there are Czechs on the board, I should win any drinking game.

I heard it was Finland, then Britain. Trust me, the British can really drink these days, and die at a younger age too.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

fjackdaw wrote:

I heard it was Finland, then Britain. Trust me, the British can really drink these days, and die at a younger age too.

Especially up here in Scotland. Where its cheaper to buy alcohol than it is water in some places :?
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Do not ever underestimate belgians when it comes to drinking :twisted:
We're used to lots of tricky but tasty beers here (we have like more than 500 sorts in our small country)
we might lose out with wodka or whiskey, but in the beer category, the belgians would undoubtedly win!
And i've heard from some friends' experiences that the englishmen can't handle our special rare beers :P

wasn't this actually a formula one forum? :D
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

Yes, Gravity is providing Backing for Prodrive, allegedly.....

Prodrive is playing down the Rumors, meanwhile, His Bernard-ness is all but confirming them........

Oh also.....Speculation is that They will Run Ho-Ping Tun AND Jacques Villeneuve together......

I'm calling it now.......2010 Prodrive-Renault JV and HPT

*Ducks as the Forums has a collective Forum-Gasm over HPT and then shits themselves over JV*
Rentragmuab Tlosz!!!!!
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

I highly doubt that Dave Richards would even consider running Jacques Villeneuve in F1 again. Other sources say that Prodrive and Gravity have placed seperate bids for the Enstone squad.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

This wrote:Do not ever underestimate belgians when it comes to drinking :twisted:
We're used to lots of tricky but tasty beers here (we have like more than 500 sorts in our small country)
we might lose out with wodka or whiskey, but in the beer category, the belgians would undoubtedly win!
And i've heard from some friends' experiences that the englishmen can't handle our special rare beers :P

Yeah... but only cos they taste funny. ;)

Seriously, though, we're used to flavourless beers like Fosters and Carlsberg here... I was in Brussels earlier in the year and couldn't manage more than one cherry-flavoured beer, it was really heavy going. Nice, but I couldn't cope with more than one.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Collieafc wrote:
fjackdaw wrote:

Especially up here in Scotland. Where its cheaper to buy alcohol than it is water in some places :?

This is the reason I can guarantee myself the win - by default.
While everyone else runs out of money killing their liver off bit by bit, I still have plenty of cash for booze to keep the game going. :D
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

fjackdaw wrote:
This wrote:Do not ever underestimate belgians when it comes to drinking :twisted:

Seriously, though, we're used to flavourless beers like Fosters and Carlsberg here... I was in Brussels earlier in the year and couldn't manage more than one cherry-flavoured beer, it was really heavy going. Nice, but I couldn't cope with more than one.

i mean our beers from 9° up to 13°alcohol, try drinking them fast..., not those fruit beers :P but those are nice to get women drunk, wich could be very usefull :D

but to get back on topic, gravity supported d'ambrosio at DAMS in GP2, and what was his teammate there? KOBAYASHI 8-)
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Yannick wrote:I highly doubt that Dave Richards would even consider running Jacques Villeneuve in F1 again. Other sources say that Prodrive and Gravity have placed seperate bids for the Enstone squad.

I dont thing they got along either. It would be like Putting JV and MS in the same team...
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:
fjackdaw wrote:

i mean our beers from 9° up to 13°alcohol, try drinking them fast..., not those fruit beers :P but those are nice to get women drunk, wich could be very usefull :D

I think that a Scottish beer got banned from sale this week for being over 30%...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

30°? damn :shock:
that's allmost as much as my absinth i have from 85° :D
But less heavier drinks are more tricky, because you don't feel it immediatly.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

I feel left out.

Not that illegality stops most of my peers from drinking.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Well, if there were ever to be a rejects forum meet, you need to be the responsible one because you can't drink...
That is an honourable task!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

To be honest, I don't drink at 27 years old. But there is one thing I can do legally that Shinji can't - drive! Anybody need a lift home?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

This wrote:Well, if there were ever to be a rejects forum meet, you need to be the responsible one because you can't drink...
That is an honourable task!

Me? Responsible one? Well I suppose I do tend to be the one responsible when a thread goes completely off topic.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

well, you can't say i didn't try...
but i guess no one takes me seriously :D

dr-baker wrote:To be honest, I don't drink at 27 years old. But there is one thing I can do legally that Shinji can't - drive! Anybody need a lift home?

so you think i can't drunk when i'm drive?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

shinji wrote:I feel left out.

Or in my case...

Not that illegality stops me from drinking :lol:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

It never stopped me.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

thehemogoblin wrote:

It never stopped me.

I heard recently of a 'free gaff', where there was drink. Fair enough, but when you realise the drink was vodka and laxatives, then you realise that teenage drinking is completely ridiculous, if hilarious to the outsider.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

shinji wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:

It never stopped me.

I heard recently of a 'free gaff', where there was drink. Fair enough, but when you realise the drink was vodka and laxatives, then you realise that teenage drinking is completely ridiculous, if hilarious to the outsider.

I generally don't drink it unless a) I bought it myself and I'm opening the bottle/can, or b) the hosts are drinking from the same stuff.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

A colective binge? When, what and where?
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Phoenix wrote:A colective binge? When, what and where?

Here
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

shinji wrote:
Phoenix wrote:A colective binge? When, what and where?

Here

Sounds cheesy...