2013 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
nigellamansell

Re: 2013 Silly Season Thread

Post by nigellamansell »

Ferrarist wrote:If di Resta leaves F1, he'll most likely return to DTM (ex-F1 driver, ex-champion, ex-Mercedes driver), and I don't want to see this bland personality there. I mean, he's soooooooooooooooooooooooo bland that even a glass of milk has more charisma than him.

Keeping away from the white lines...allegedly
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

I think you meant to use this instead...

Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Williams to run for ROTY in next year. Serious, what Bottas did to deserves a race seat? :?

I'm going to make a challenge to myself. If Bottas scores more than 20 points, I will use an Bottas Avatar in this forum. I doubt that he will score more than this in next year.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Dj_bereta wrote:

Williams to run for ROTY in next year. Serious, what Bottas did to deserves a race seat? :?

I'm going to make a challenge to myself. If Bottas scores more than 20 points, I will use an Bottas Avatar in this forum. I doubt that he will score more than this in next year.

He won GP3 in 2011, and has shown good pace in FP1 sessions for Williams. It's not like he's some drifter they've just plucked off the street...

And if GP3's not good enough, then Sauber may as well give away Gutierrez's seat too...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

I don't get the Bottas hate over here. He might not be the most exciting prospect to come through the ranks but he is more than able to replace Bruno Senna, a driver who many are nominating in the top 3 for ROTY. Is the hate here because he is taking a seat from the likes of Kobayashi? I think it is just good for Valtteri and his management that they have found a decent, paid seat, in times like these.
mario

Post by mario »

Benetton wrote:I don't get the Bottas hate over here. He might not be the most exciting prospect to come through the ranks but he is more than able to replace Bruno Senna, a driver who many are nominating in the top 3 for ROTY. Is the hate here because he is taking a seat from the likes of Kobayashi? I think it is just good for Valtteri and his management that they have found a decent, paid seat, in times like these.

It just seems to be that a number of posters here think that his potential has been exaggerated by the senior management at Williams (they have been hyping Bottas up in recent months) and that he is being rushed into F1 too quickly (the highest series he has competed in are the GP3 and European Formula 3 series) rather than being given time to mature.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Boomstick

Post by Boomstick »

mario wrote:
Benetton wrote:I don't get the Bottas hate over here. He might not be the most exciting prospect to come through the ranks but he is more than able to replace Bruno Senna, a driver who many are nominating in the top 3 for ROTY. Is the hate here because he is taking a seat from the likes of Kobayashi? I think it is just good for Valtteri and his management that they have found a decent, paid seat, in times like these.

It just seems to be that a number of posters here think that his potential has been exaggerated by the senior management at Williams (they have been hyping Bottas up in recent months) and that he is being rushed into F1 too quickly (the highest series he has competed in are the GP3 and European Formula 3 series) rather than being given time to mature.

Could be worse, he could be a "First lap nutcase" :lol: Maybe GP2 isn't the be all and end all
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:according with Auto Motor und Sport, the Force India second seat have at least, 10 drivers to choose for the second seat:

-Jules Bianchi
-Heikki Kovalainen
-Davide Valsecchi
-Luiz Razia
-Bruno Senna
-Johnny Ceccoto Jr.
-Rodolfo Gonzalez

and

-Rubens Barrichello
-Jacques Villeneuve :lol:

If you add the speculation of Kamui Kobayashi, Jaime Alguersuari and Adrian Sutil, we have 12 drivers fighting for a seat :o

But the news said also, FI discard the pay drivers and the veterans of the list. Buemi, Alguersuari and Sutil are the favourites.

If Rodolfo Gonzalez got a seat over Jaime Alguersuari at FI, I'd find Vijay Mallya's house and put a turd through his letterbox.

I'd help you!
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Benetton wrote:I think it is just good for Valtteri and his management that they have found a decent, paid seat, in times like these.

His management, which consists of Toto Wolff. ;)
MIA SAN MIA!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

mario wrote:

I don't even think that he's being hyped up; I just think Williams are singing his praises, as he seems to have taken to the car quite well.

And the 'rushed into F1' part doesn't wash with me. Senna only really did British F3, as did Button and Hakkinen. Schumacher did German F3, Vettel only did half a season of FR3.5, and Raikkonen didn't even bother with any of them.

So I think generally speaking, Bottas is more than ready.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
mario

Post by mario »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:
mario wrote:

I don't even think that he's being hyped up; I just think Williams are singing his praises, as he seems to have taken to the car quite well.

And the 'rushed into F1' part doesn't wash with me. Senna only really did British F3, as did Button and Hakkinen. Schumacher did German F3, Vettel only did half a season of FR3.5, and Raikkonen didn't even bother with any of them.

So I think generally speaking, Bottas is more than ready.

It could be argued that, to a certain extent, some of those drivers that made the jump from F3 to Formula 1 could do so at a time when F1 testing was unlimited and there was no series to bridge the gap between F3 and F1 (as the old F2 series had died out and there weren't any real intermediary steps). There have also been some signs that the FIA, whilst not wanting to proscribe a set route through into F1, has been pushing for more drivers to go through an intermediary stage like FR3.5 or GP2 to accustom them to something closer in performance to a contemporary F1 car.
As to the comments about hyping up, that was a comment on how may perceive the comments that Williams have been making this season about Bottas's progress - some of his lap times in the practise sessions have been pretty respectable, although at the same time it is hard to know what exactly was the context of those times (e.g. tyre conditioning, fuel loads etc.). Some might see it as fair praise, others as hyperbole - we'll presumably find out soon enough next year.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Well of course Williams are singing praises. They are trying to motivate Bottas. But I don't see the general opinion to be anything spectacular on him, as that he would be overhyped. Fact is that, what Valtteri will provide will be remain to be seen. If someone would have come to me at the start of 2010 and say Perez, 20 at the time, would have driven for McLaren in 2013 I would have asked what that person is smoking. Or how about Kobayashi's development curve for that matter? That's the nice part about Formula One, there really is no trusted form how to spot good Formula One drivers.

On another note, I see why Whitmarsh is harsh on Perez. They are clearly trying to downplay the expectations, not that there has been much hype about Perez to begin with. A top 6 finish in the drivers should be the target for him next season, along to get familiar with the team and the environment which is different to a midfield team like Sauber.
S951

Post by S951 »

mmm someones not happy

Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

S951 wrote:mmm someones not happy

Grosjean: I'm learning? I mean, what does he expect me to do? Win a race? *grins*
Boullier: No Romain, I expect you to die

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoQwKe0lggw&feature=related
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

S951 wrote:mmm someones not happy

I hope someone gives Bottas a DVD with this guy's Greatest Hits (pun intended) Of Lap 1. If he avoids doing the Grosnado, he should be good enough.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I don't understand the sentiments towards Senna here. Senna had twice as many finishes in the points as Maldonado, and only finished behind Pastor because of one result. I actually rate Bruno higher than Pastor (even though I have Pastor's autograph, not Bruno's, on the irony!).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dr-baker wrote:I don't understand the sentiments towards Senna here. Senna had twice as many finishes in the points as Maldonado, and only finished behind Pastor because of one result. I actually rate Bruno higher than Pastor (even though I have Pastor's autograph, not Bruno's, on the irony!).

Bruno's lucky you get points for 9th and 10th nowadays...
Minardi Man

Post by Minardi Man »

dr-baker wrote:I don't understand the sentiments towards Senna here. Senna had twice as many finishes in the points as Maldonado, and only finished behind Pastor because of one result. I actually rate Bruno higher than Pastor (even though I have Pastor's autograph, not Bruno's, on the irony!).

Pastor has proven this year that he has incredible raw pace.
If he ever gets some consistency, he would be a major threat to any team.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

People are probably associating the idiom "it's easier to make a fast car reliable than it is to make a reliable car fast." with the two Williams drivers, which may go some way to explaining why Pastor is higher rated than Bruno. Also, Pastor has calmed down a lot in the last few races.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/186495/1/d ... yashi.html
Still can't see him getting a drive, despite the generous amount so far.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

SIGNING!

@WilliamsF1Team wrote:Williams F1 confirms Pastor Maldonado & Valtteri Bottas will be the team’s race drivers for 2013
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Minardi Man wrote:If he ever gets some consistency, he would be a major threat to any team.

Especially his own, if he starts to consistently wreck chassis.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

My prediction is both Vergne and Ricciardo are "on the bubble" at Toro Rosso next year. Given the team's history, they are lucky there won't be a Nürburgring GP next year ...

I really wonder if there is a team who will not decide in favour of a pay driver for the remaining seats.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Yannick wrote:My prediction is both Vergne and Ricciardo are "on the bubble" at Toro Rosso next year. Given the team's history, they are lucky there won't be a Nürburgring GP next year ...

I really wonder if there is a team who will not decide in favour of a pay driver for the remaining seats.

I expect one of them to be replaced with Antonio Felix da Costa for 2014.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
mario

Post by mario »

pi314159 wrote:
Yannick wrote:My prediction is both Vergne and Ricciardo are "on the bubble" at Toro Rosso next year. Given the team's history, they are lucky there won't be a Nürburgring GP next year ...

I wouldn't put it past them to throw one of the drivers out midway through 2013 in favour of da Costa - at the very least, I am willing to bet that da Costa will be given running time in FP1 throughout 2013 to keep the two drivers sharp.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

WilliamsF1TV
The Williams F1 Team Introduces it's 2013 Driver Line-up

http://youtu.be/xbaQ7hOCjFQ
-*:-
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

mario wrote:
pi314159 wrote:

I wouldn't put it past them to throw one of the drivers out midway through 2013 in favour of da Costa - at the very least, I am willing to bet that da Costa will be given running time in FP1 throughout 2013 to keep the two drivers sharp.

If one of them disappoints like Bourdais in 2008, and da Costa impresses in free practice, he might get the Toro Rosso seat already next year.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Newest rumour: Kovalainen could replace Grosjean.

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Kova ... 53528.html

I don't know what to think about it. Grosjean's contract has not been renewed yet, but he is certainly fast and Kovalainen has struggled against Petrov this year, but on the other hand Grosjean is crashing too much (he has driven only 4 123 km this year, with only few mechanical failures, compared to Räikkönens 6 083.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Kimi, have you heard that there will be another Finn on the grid next year?
-Leave me alone. I don't care.

-*:-
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Anyone else thinking that we should do a "Kamui aid" concert? :mrgreen:
MIA SAN MIA!
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Jocke1 wrote:Kimi, have you heard that there will be another Finn on the grid next year?

Actually, I think he does care because now the Finnish media won't focus solely on him.

What is good about the Bottas-Maldonado pairing is what Valtteri said, they will push each other forward. I don't think Pastor really never was worried about Bruno Senna, especially after that victory in Barcelona.

Oh and if RoGro won't get an extension then his seat should go to Kobayashi! With the same livery it would have been Satoru Nakajima v. 2 but with the Burn livery coming next season it won't happen.
Daxam_Stark

Post by Daxam_Stark »

pi314159 wrote:Newest rumour: Kovalainen could replace Grosjean.

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Kova ... 53528.html

I don't know what to think about it. Grosjean's contract has not been renewed yet, but he is certainly fast and Kovalainen has struggled against Petrov this year, but on the other hand Grosjean is crashing too much (he has driven only 4 123 km this year, with only few mechanical failures, compared to Räikkönens 6 083.

PleaseohbelovedHWNSNBMalmighty let this happen! That way, Kovalainen gets a better car, Petrov can stay at Caterham, EVERYONE wins!!!
The friendly neighborhood Arkham Asylum patient.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Wut, three Finns in F1 at the same time? That'd be for only the second time in history, the first time that happened was in late '94 (no matter how much our media wants to think Nico Rosberg is a Finn as well - the guy can't even properly speak Finnish for crying out loud!).

Not going to happen, unfortunately. :( Or else I'm happy to change my avatar (yes, that was a call for an avatar challenge).
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Benetton wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:Kimi, have you heard that there will be another Finn on the grid next year?

Actually, I think he does care because now the Finnish media won't focus solely on him.

What is good about the Bottas-Maldonado pairing is what Valtteri said, they will push each other forward. I don't think Pastor really never was worried about Bruno Senna, especially after that victory in Barcelona.

Oh and if RoGro won't get an extension then his seat should go to Kobayashi! With the same livery it would have been Satoru Nakajima v. 2 but with the Burn livery coming next season it won't happen.

Nope, as soon as Nakajima joined Lotus, they got the Camel livery, which I would welcome back with open arms.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
flyerguy

Post by flyerguy »

Benetton wrote:What is good about the Bottas-Maldonado pairing is what Valtteri said, they will push each other forward.

Not literally, we hope. Maldonado has pushed other drivers enough already :)
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Benetton wrote:What is good about the Bottas-Maldonado pairing is what Valtteri said, they will push each other forward

Why would these two push each other forward more than any other pairing?
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Nuppiz wrote:Wut, three Finns in F1 at the same time? That'd be for only the second time in history, the first time that happened was in late '94 (no matter how much our media wants to think Nico Rosberg is a Finn as well - the guy can't even properly speak Finnish for crying out loud!).
Not going to happen, unfortunately. :( Or else I'm happy to change my avatar (yes, that was a call for an avatar challenge).

On the basis my mate Alex has reckoned this will happen for ages , nuppiz I challenge you in an avatar challenge :D
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Ed24 wrote:
Benetton wrote:What is good about the Bottas-Maldonado pairing is what Valtteri said, they will push each other forward

Well, Bottas will probably push Maldonado harder than Senna did. Though whether or not that's a good thing remains to be seen...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Ed24 wrote:

Well, Bottas will probably push Maldonado harder than Senna did. Though whether or not that's a good thing remains to be seen...

No it'll be a good thing. Now we have seen what Maldonado can achieve in decent machinery, he now needs a teammate who can challenge him on one-lap pace alone, to see if Maldonado is anything special.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

roblomas52 wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:Wut, three Finns in F1 at the same time? That'd be for only the second time in history, the first time that happened was in late '94 (no matter how much our media wants to think Nico Rosberg is a Finn as well - the guy can't even properly speak Finnish for crying out loud!).

On the basis my mate Alex has reckoned this will happen for ages , nuppiz I challenge you in an avatar challenge :D

Alright, if Kovy gets a seat in Formula One for 2013, I'll change my avatar to whatever you want me to have until the first race of the season. And if he doesn't get a seat, then you'll use a avatar of my chosing for the same period of time.

Deal? :)
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"