Sayonara, Michael Schumacher

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sayonara, Michael Schumacher

Post by tristan1117 »

The comeback tour is over. Any thoughts? Memories? Criticisms? Personally, I think it's the right time to say goodbye. When he left in 2006, I felt like he had unfinished business. I think he has taken care of that. Time to retire and watch Vettel break all your records in half the time. Oh well.

Here's a video of an interview with Michael in 1983. Why so serious?
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Gerudo Dragon

Re: Sayonara, Michael Schumacher

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

I never liked him.
Trump 2016
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

I liked him, though never was a fan of him. To me, he's a cool guy though sometimes unsportive. He'll be missed.
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Michael's comeback can only be summed up by one man.

:(
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Somehow I like him even less now than at the end of 2006. All he's done is mostly tool around and be beaten by Nico Rosberg - who, let's, face it, is hardly a top-level driver. Yeah, there was the odd flash of brilliance, but the fact is, if he wasn't Michael Schumacher, he'dve been kicked out at the end of 2010.

That said, he does seem a lot more friendly and relaxed; I imagine coming back has probably done him some good, but that doesn't change the fact that he mostly wasted what was a fairly good car most of the time.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Mexicola wrote:Michael's comeback can only be summed up by one man.

:(

This on every level.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Have a nice retirement, Schumacher Sr.
-*:-
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

I am rather gutted that he isn't doing one more season with Sauber. I've been a fan since '91 though so I'm bound to be biased. It's such a shame his car was an utter crapbox, yes he had his rejectful moments but we could have seen much more of the old Schumi magic. It'll be interesting to see the car in Hamilton's hands.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Jocke1 wrote:Image

Have a nice retirement, Schumacher Sr.

It's like the final scene in 2001: A Space Oddessey.

Anyways, I feel that his comeback probably hurt is reputation more that it did help him. I mean, it took him 2 1/2 seasons to get a podium, a rather lucky podium shall we say. While Kimi managed to do it in just his 4th race. Sure he was younger, but the point still stands. I think his three years can be compared to Damon Hill's 1999 season. A man who was not used to how the cars handled, was beaten by his teammate by a good margin, and didn't seem to know when leave at the right time. This is what "Hang up the Keys" awards are made of.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
coloni_subaru

Post by coloni_subaru »

It's a real pity it all had to end like this for Schumi, and however much it gets dressed up, you can't help but feel he was booted out of the way for Hamilton, too late to find another competative seat..
For many fans of the sport, especially the younger generation, he is going to be remembered as the 'old guy who was slower than Rosberg in a Mercedes' rather than the 7 time World Champion he used to be..

However, i know if i had the chance to drive any F1 car for a few years, i'd go to Mercedes in a flash!
"Better to have raced and lost than never to have raced at all"
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

coloni_subaru wrote:It's a real pity it all had to end like this for Schumi, and however much it gets dressed up, you can't help but feel he was booted out of the way for Hamilton, too late to find another competative seat..

Not true, actually. The whole reason Mercedes started courting Hamilton was because Schumacher wasn't giving them a straight answer on whether or not he wanted to stay for 2013.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

His pathetic comeback is karma. Deserved to have his reputation trashed like this. For that reason I will be forever thankful for his second career.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

kostas22 wrote:His pathetic comeback is karma. Deserved to have his reputation trashed like this. For that reason I will be forever thankful for his second career.
This.
Trump 2016
nome66

Post by nome66 »

Jeremy Clarkson interviewing Schumi(standing in for stiggy)
"what are your thoughts on this F1 season(2011)? aren't you tired of seeing one driver endlessly winning everything?"

Schumi: "...yeah"

someone please add him to the "Hang Up the Keys" page.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Agreed that he's been more relaxed and approachable but his comeback has been rather poor. I'm pleased he got his podium this year. I reckon he'll look back a little disappointed but pleased he still had it in him to race competitively.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

Well, at least his comeback wasn't as utterly farcical as Nigel Mansell's

That aside, I think his MotoGP accident didn't help him much as far as keeping his edge. Couple that with the rather average(and unreliable this year) cars that he's been given, plus the effects of old age, and it was no wonder Rosberg had the better of him in qualifying most of the time. Still going to miss him though.

On a tangentially related note, no doubt that Hamilton's fast but how good is he at development/ feedback? That was something Schumi was pretty good at, and that could be something that Mercedes will be missing next year, which could mean that there will be more sideways progress. Which in turn, would cement the belief of them being the next Toyota.
"If you don't like it, overtake or f**k off!"- Niki Lauda responding to complaints of his Brabham BT46 'fan car" throwing debris in drivers' faces.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

I blame age and the Enoch Curse (see "A Legacy In Doubt" article in the main site) as the reason for Schumi's problems. Thanks, Michael, once again. :(
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

darkapprentice77 wrote:
kostas22 wrote:His pathetic comeback is karma. Deserved to have his reputation trashed like this. For that reason I will be forever thankful for his second career.
This.

I feel a bit ashamed for this, but I agree with this.

tzerof1 wrote:Well, at least his comeback wasn't as utterly farcical as Nigel Mansell's...

Yeah, because winning Adelaide 1994 was so farcical! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know you meant his McLaren entries, but I always include his 1994 races with Williams as part of his comeback.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

I'm pleased with myself how I was right 3 years ago that he was making a big mistake. He should've left that Mercedes-seat to Nick Heidfeld - looking back that would've been a more perfect match than any. :lol: :cry: :cry: And Quick Nick still got the same amount of podiums (podium, actually) in the period as the 7-times. :lol:

I never liked Schumacher and hated the years he made so boring. The only time I rooted for him was in 2006 after he announced his retirement plus he was up against Alonso whom I resent even more. I actually admired his perfect timing of decision. He ruined that little admiration - for a 3rd place in Valencia. :lol: :lol:
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Sorry to burst your bubble there, but you will find that in long-term this Mercedes run will have no impact on his mark on F1 history in any shape. His original career already set that part in stone. Those who loathe him already did so when his first run ended and those who adore him did also do that before his Mercedes stint. The number of fans gained or lost by Schumacher during these three seasons can probably be counted on one hand. In a way this makes his return even more disappointing because in the end it will be nothing more than a mere footnote, a footnote of three years (more than most drivers get). It just feels pointless, sort of like a representation of existence itself within Schumacher's Mercedes years. Which in turn makes them meaningful again in a weird mirror-esque way...

This sounded a lot less confusing in my head.
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

dr-baker wrote:
tzerof1 wrote:Well, at least his comeback wasn't as utterly farcical as Nigel Mansell's...

I know you meant his McLaren entries, but I always include his 1994 races with Williams as part of his comeback.

True. Though he might not have won had it not been for lap 36. On the subject of Adelaide 94' what is farcical(or rejectfully heroic) is Deletraz getting lapped in 10 laps.
"If you don't like it, overtake or f**k off!"- Niki Lauda responding to complaints of his Brabham BT46 'fan car" throwing debris in drivers' faces.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I'm going to miss him, although he really does need to hang up the keys. I'd love to see one last drive like the final race of his original stint.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tzerof1 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

True. Though he might not have won had it not been for lap 36. On the subject of Adelaide 94' what is farcical(or rejectfully heroic) is Deletraz getting lapped in 10 laps.

But he was still in a position to capitalise on Schumi's 'impetuousness.' But yeah, Deletraz probably was the highlight of that race!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

As long as Pedro De la Rosa doesn't retire then I am happy. I want at least one driver to be older then me...
<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

-*:-