So, that leaves the second Mercedes

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Salamander

Re: So, that leaves the second Mercedes

Post by Salamander »

shinji wrote:
kostas22 wrote:So, we have the following list of drivers as potential candidates thus far:

Nick Heidfeld
Michael Schumacher
Gary Paffett
Paul di Resta
Robert Kubica
Jacques Villeneuve
HWNSNBM :twisted:

Don't forget the lesser Schumacher.

You might also want to add Kobayashi to the list.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
shinji wrote:
kostas22 wrote:So, we have the following list of drivers as potential candidates thus far:

Nick Heidfeld
Michael Schumacher
Gary Paffett
Paul di Resta
Robert Kubica
Jacques Villeneuve

You might want to add Kamui Kobayashi to your face.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
shinji wrote:

Nick Heidfeld
Michael Schumacher
Gary Paffett
Paul di Resta
Robert Kubica
Jacques Villeneuve

:lol: When I was writing that list, I said to myself to add him to the list. Yet I didn't. My brain is bathplugged up.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

shinji wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:You might also want to add Kobayashi to the list.

Your momma wants to add Kamui Kobayashi to her face.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Klon wrote:
shinji wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:You might also want to add Kobayashi to the list.

Your momma wants to add Kamui Kobayashi to her face.

Kamui Kobayashi is my momma.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

shinji wrote:Kamui Kobayashi is my momma.

CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

And according to Autosport, Raikkonen is "willing to consider a seat at Mercedes".
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Chewie

Post by Chewie »

CarlosFerreira wrote:And according to Autosport, Raikkonen is "willing to consider a seat at Mercedes".

they should bite his hand off.

The big 3 of McLaren, Red Bull & Ferrari all have race winners and/or world champions in every seat. Mercedes are going to take that lot on with Rosberg and Heidfeld?? Not a race win between them?

Kimi should be there, and it would be a good fit and a much better season if he was.
How ironic; Alonso loses because the Renault in front of him doesn't crash, or indeed feel inclined to pull over and let him pass!!!
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Chewie wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:And according to Autosport, Raikkonen is "willing to consider a seat at Mercedes".

The big 3 of McLaren, Red Bull & Ferrari all have race winners and/or world champions in every seat. Mercedes are going to take that lot on with Rosberg and Heidfeld?? Not a race win between them?

Kimi should be there, and it would be a good fit and a much better season if he was.

Well, I'll admit his media/press conference personality would fit into a German team! :lol:
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Chewie wrote:

Agreed, and to be honest the choice between Raikkonen and Heidfeld is a no-brainer.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

Chewie wrote:

Maybe, but... shouldn't he be biting their hand off? He's showing a total lack of commitment, He needs to be working for the team, not vice versa.

I'd rather have a weaker lineup this year and get Vettel in for 2011.
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Of course, Kimi wants Mercedes to come to him. I can almost hear a "thanks, but no thanks" coming from Brackley right now.

Give it to Klien instead - he's Austrian, so you get someone from the region without looking like the East German All-Stars.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Captain Hammer wrote:Give it to Klien instead - he's Austrian, so you get someone from the region without looking like the East German All-Stars.

Little problem with that - Klien ain't good enough
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
Waris

Post by Waris »

Captain Hammer wrote:Of course, Kimi wants Mercedes to come to him. I can almost hear a "thanks, but no thanks" coming from Brackley right now.

Give it to Klien instead - he's Austrian, so you get someone from the region without looking like the East German All-Stars.

Oi! Oi! Nelsinho Piquet was born in Germany...
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
rffp

Post by rffp »

New silly season headlines: Schummy would be the other Mercedes driver (source: Gazzetta dello Sport).
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

It's a straight fight between Michael Schumacher and Nelsinho Piquet! :o
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

rffp wrote:New silly season headlines: Schummy would be the other Mercedes driver (source: Gazzetta dello Sport).

Yeah but the Gazzetta dello Sport would protest Ferrari or anyone linked to Ferrari's inoccence even if they had been the ones involved in Spygate and had already been proven guilty...you get the point.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

rffp wrote:New silly season headlines: Schummy would be the other Mercedes driver (source: Gazzetta dello Sport).

Do they know that Schumi is 40 and he isn't willing to return to F1? (Trying to drive for Ferrari this year subbing for Massa was an exception, and I don't think he will do the exception again for Mercedes)
fondmetal-fond

Post by fondmetal-fond »

Heinz Harald Frentzen
rffp

Post by rffp »

fondmetal-fond wrote:Heinz Harald Frentzen

How about Bern Schneider? 20 years after...
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

rffp wrote:

Or Stirling Moss :mrgreen:
fondmetal-fond

Post by fondmetal-fond »

Phoenix wrote:
rffp wrote:

Or Stirling Moss :mrgreen:

I didn't mean Heinz Harald Frentzen should drive for Mercedes. I meant Mercedes should be run by Heinz Harald Frentzen.
The only driver for Mercedes is the one who can really push the car, get the most out of it, make it fly:
Mark Webber

(Sorry, that was bad)
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I'm of the opinion that they'll go for Heidfeld this year and then bring in Vettel in his place in 2011. That is unless they nab Kubica if he is released by Renault. I'm not sure that Mercedes will quite be on the pace in 2010 (I think they could win a couple of race), but they'll be stronger in 2011.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

Kimi would be great, if Brawn can reach a deal on salary. For all of his faults he's a big asset to F1 and we need to see him in a good car.

I'm not sure about this 'all German silver arrows' concept. Do Mercedes marketing really want this? Mercedes are an international company and Teutonic superteam may not be the most positive image for them. But if Mercedes want to do this properly then Schumi is the man, 40 or not.

Kubica driving for Mercedes? Frankly this would not be too popular in his native Poland. I think he still has his eye on Ferrari.

The way that Brawn are managing this at present then I would not be too surprised if they end up with Piquet and Bourdais.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Ross Prawn wrote:I'm not sure about this 'all German silver arrows' concept. Do Mercedes marketing really want this? Mercedes are an international company and Aryan superteam may not be the most positive image for them.

Fix'd it for you.

(yes, i know, that was bad)
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

You have to think as well that Schumacher brings more than just the driver. You have the "teambuilding" aspect of it as well. Especially with Ross Brawn as well.

It would make sense if he was to do a one year contract to "stabilise" the team and sign, say Vettel for 2011
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Collieafc wrote:You have to think as well that Schumacher brings more than just the driver. You have the "teambuilding" aspect of it as well. Especially with Ross Brawn as well.

It would make sense if he was to do a one year contract to "stabilise" the team and sign, say Vettel for 2011

We won't see more of MSC in the F1 tracks never ever. We have to accept it.
Enrique Bernoldi

Post by Enrique Bernoldi »

Phoenix wrote:
Collieafc wrote:You have to think as well that Schumacher brings more than just the driver. You have the "teambuilding" aspect of it as well. Especially with Ross Brawn as well.

Eddie Jordan, on the other hand, won't accept it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8368107.stm
Supporting the guys at the back since 1999. :)
cjrodwell

Post by cjrodwell »

Enrique Bernoldi wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

Eddie Jordan, on the other hand, won't accept it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8368107.stm

If EJ is right then that would be a disaster for Rosberg's career as he would undoubtedly be forced to play second fiddle. :(
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I don't want to see it. It would be sensational for the sport, be very exciting and give the whole F1 world a real boost, but I don't think he's up to a full-time comeback. It would have worked for a few races with Ferrari, as the original plan was, as he had little to lose and wouldn't have spoiled his legacy whatever happened, given the circumstances. But to take a season or two's Mercedes drive would be letting his heart rule his head to an absurd degree.

However much I might want to see Schumacher race Vettel and Hamilton and co, I think he has to accept he wouldn't be at the level he once was.
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Paul Hayes wrote:I don't want to see it. It would be sensational for the sport, be very exciting and give the whole F1 world a real boost, but I don't think he's up to a full-time comeback. It would have worked for a few races with Ferrari, as the original plan was, as he had little to lose and wouldn't have spoiled his legacy whatever happened, given the circumstances. But to take a season or two's Mercedes drive would be letting his heart rule his head to an absurd degree.

However much I might want to see Schumacher race Vettel and Hamilton and co, I think he has to accept he wouldn't be at the level he once was.

I would like to see it. I think the timing from his point of view would be good. The ban on refuelling looks like it will favour drivers who can manage their tyres better and place less of an emphasis on qualifying. I think Schumi could do very well in this environment. For me, since his retirement only Hamilton and sometimes Vettel have got near the level he was still at at the end of his career.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Chewie

Post by Chewie »

A German team stepping out to conquer the world with two blonde haired uber drivers!

Mercedes must be a tad concerned about the marketing potential of that, maybe a more diverse driver pairing might be more palatable!

The British press are probably salivating enough over Hamilton and Button taking on 'Ze Germans', I can almost see the spitfires and Churchill iconagraphy in the reporting; the last thing we need is to give them an excuse to start photoshopping monacles and spiked helmets on the opposition!

lol
How ironic; Alonso loses because the Renault in front of him doesn't crash, or indeed feel inclined to pull over and let him pass!!!
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

i think they should sign Markus Winkelhock......
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

WeirdKerr wrote:i think they should sign Markus Winkelhock......

Finally, sense.

Now, has Rosberg signed up yet?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
mario

Post by mario »

CarlosFerreira wrote:

Finally, sense.

Now, has Rosberg signed up yet?

So, we've had first Heidfeld linked to Mercedes, followed by Kimi. Now, we have Schumacher supposedly being brought back in a Niki Lauda style move - but, of course, they want him there as a seat warmer so they can bring Vettel in, according to the latest reports. Frankly, at this rate they'll be linking HWNSNBM to the Mercedes team by the end of the week...
Perhaps the only thing which has surprised me is the fact that Mercedes haven't actually told us anything about Rosberg - how long are they signing him to the team might be indicative of the longer term objectives of the Mercedes team.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Oh, that would cause fury in the DTM, seeing as Markus Winkelhock is a regular with Audi and a possible candidate for a lead drive in 2010. I'd like it... :D
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Chewie wrote:A German team stepping out to conquer the world with two blonde haired uber drivers!

Mercedes must be a tad concerned about the marketing potential of that, maybe a more diverse driver pairing might be more palatable!

The British press are probably salivating enough over Hamilton and Button taking on 'Ze Germans', I can almost see the spitfires and Churchill iconagraphy in the reporting; the last thing we need is to give them an excuse to start photoshopping monacles and spiked helmets on the opposition!

lol

Ive just clicked to your "true" background for that description! :lol:
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

mario wrote:Perhaps the only thing which has surprised me is the fact that Mercedes haven't actually told us anything about Rosberg - how long are they signing him to the team might be indicative of the longer term objectives of the Mercedes team.

My best guess is Nico's got a very long name, takes him ages to sign.

Either that, or he's taking writing lessons.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
mario wrote:Perhaps the only thing which has surprised me is the fact that Mercedes haven't actually told us anything about Rosberg - how long are they signing him to the team might be indicative of the longer term objectives of the Mercedes team.

My best guess is Nico's got a very long name, takes him ages to sign.

Either that, or he's taking writing lessons.

Maybe he's trying to write it in Finnish.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I thought he was already signed and very signed.