The Reject Birthday Cake Challenge

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
dinizintheoven

The Reject Birthday Cake Challenge

Post by dinizintheoven »

Browsing the pages of WTF1 this afternoon, I've come across a recent-ish post, which some of you will have seen, involving a Toro Rosso birthday cake. Now, it seems Katy the cake-maker is quite good at this kind of thing, but she did point out in the post that the number 23 was because Tom (who the cake was intended for) was 23 years old, and she remarked "I don’t think Toro Rosso‘s season is quite that bad yet." Too right, as they'd have to be beaten by two of Caterham, Marussia and HRT to get those numbers. Possibly the reason she went with a Toro Rosso cake was to show off her cake-shaping-and-decorating skills, because a 2012-spec HRT cake wouldn't be anywhere near as difficult to do.

But it set me thinking: it must be possible to make a proper F1 Reject Birthday Cake for the vast majority of ages out there - and with the right number on it. For instance, I've been watching F1 since 1990, and I'll be 34 in the middle of next year. That's a number that has graced some truly shocking cars in that time, especially in those early years; think of Bernd Schneider's Zakspeed, Nicola Larini's Modena-Lambo-whatever-it's-officially-called, Roberto Moreno's Andrea Moda and Bertrand Gachot's Pacific, from 1990-94 (with only 1993 missing). Further back from the days where I watched F1, we've got Claudio Langes' EuroBrun (1989) and Johnny Cecotto's Theodore (1983) - with an annoying lack of 34s in the early 1980s when Theodore only ran one car and the next team were given 35/36 - and if I was to cheat and find cars from before I was born, there's Alberto Colombo's Merzario (one race in 1978), Jean-Pierre Jarier's ATS-Penske (1977), Hans-Joachim Stuck's March (1976, but not really a reject car in the proper sense), and... we're getting back towards the days of multiple cars running the same number much before that.

So I thought: it's your birthday coming up, and you want an F1 Rejects birthday cake, but you're adamant that the number of years you've racked up must match the number on the car. And it's got to be possible for any age up to about - looking at the Wikipedia pages for the seasons before 1990 - 52, I'd reckon, even though numbers above 41 were more likely to be one-off entries from the 1973-83 period. So let's do it: pool the knowledge of F1 Rejects to come up with the perfect birthday cake for every year.

Some numbers may never have had a team, or even a one-off car, that qualifies for true reject status. But I'll specify that if there's a year where car number "x" performed particularly badly relative to what was (or might have been) expected, then that's the one to go for. Hence, there's an obvious choice for if either of the Law family want to make a cake for Timothy and Jeremy's first birthday in January: Jody Scheckter's Ferrari 312T5 from the 1980 season. I mean, any car with number 1 on it is certainly not from a reject team by definition, but it was Ferrari's worst car in their entire history and for the defending World Champion to rack up one of only four DNQs for Ferrari in 63 F1 seasons was - if you'll pardon the expression - the ignominious icing on this particular rejectful cake. Plus, the T5 has an extra advantage in that it was flat and slabby and should be very easy to make cake-shaped.

So, however old you're going to be next birthday, propose a cake for it. And, if you're feeling particularly adventurous, make it. Or get someone else to make it for you. And post it here.

Those who are going to be 14, 23 or 31 might find the choice is a difficult one. And, for the record, when July comes I may well opt for the EuroBrun over the others I've mentioned.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Re: The Reject Birthday Cake Challenge

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:I mean, any car with number 1 on it is certainly not from a reject team by definition.

Not necessarily. In 1997, Damon took the no. 1 to Arrows, a team famous for never having scored a win. If he had gone to, say, Stewart instead, then the number 1 would have been on a car that started the year as a reject team...

But this is an interesting concept and one that I will be following keenly!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I'm 19 next month, and I'm tempted to try this...

If I was to use the #19 from 1993 (year I was born) I'd have to make this: http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/656/93 ... mjap01.jpg

I might try and do Jan Magnussen's Stewart from '98 though, it might be a lot easier to do.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Hmm I'll be 26 on November 12, and the #26 of 1986 was Laffite's Ligier JS27. Could be worse.....
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

dr-baker wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:I mean, any car with number 1 on it is certainly not from a reject team by definition.

Not necessarily. In 1997, Damon took the no. 1 to Arrows, a team famous for never having scored a win. If he had gone to, say, Stewart instead, then the number 1 would have been on a car that started the year as a reject team...

Bah! I'd forgotten about that. Still, I doubt Stewart would have been a reject team for long in that case, as long as the engine held together...

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:I'm 19 next month, and I'm tempted to try this...
If I was to use the #19 from 1993 (year I was born) I'd have to make this: http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/656/93 ... mjap01.jpg
I might try and do Jan Magnussen's Stewart from '98 though, it might be a lot easier to do.

Toshio Suzuki, eh? Undoubtedly a reject, but I'd say go for the Stewart, because if you want a Larrousse - save that for next year, although it'll be the 1994 model you want in that case. You know why.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I'm 18 next year, and if we're doing the cakes by birth years, I don't get a cake because no car ran with #18 in 1995. :cry: :?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

On my next bitrhday, I'll turn 17. Number 17 in 1996 was Jos Verstappen. :D
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

I'll be 16 this November, and the 16 of 1996 was carried by none other than.... Riccardo Rosset! In a Footwork :D
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I'm 35 in January (yikes!!) and #35 from my year of birth was Patrese in an Arrows so not a reject driver or team, but I'd have 35 from the first year I watched religiously, 1992 - it was Perry McCarthy. :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

East Londoner wrote:I'm 18 next year, and if we're doing the cakes by birth years, I don't get a cake because no car ran with #18 in 1995. :cry: :?

I'm also 18 next year, and we don't get a cake until 2016, as the 19 and 20 belonged to Larrousse before they withdrew before 1995 season.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

I've got a good rejectful one: Car number 32 in the 1981 season (don't forget this would also be HWNSNBM's cake) is an Osella. It was driven by five people I've never even heard of. How apt.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Wallio wrote:Hmm I'll be 26 on November 12, and the #26 of 1986 was Laffite's Ligier JS27. Could be worse.....

Yes, the 1986 #26 Ligier of Alliot! But that should be mine, so we don't have to share a cake. You're only 9 days younger than me.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I'll be 21 on May 25; #21 in 1992 was JJ Lehto's Dallara. Not bad, but I think the only real option is HWNSBM's Minardi.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I was 22 last weekend, and #22 in 1990 was the fantastically crash-prone Andrea de Cesaris. I'd better keep things steady on the motorbike for the next 12 months otherwise if my insurance brokers learnt of this fact, my premium will go through the roof! :o

Next year I get to be everyone's favourite Minardi driver, Pierluigi Martini!

I think this might be the singular reason that I'm looking forward to getting older! :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Good things about this:
-I will not have to celebrate my 30th birthday
-I am a year younger then i actually am, as i skipped being 13
Negative things:
-I will not get older than 31 :cry: (or alternatively, i will have no friends or family left to justify baking such a cake)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

pi314159 wrote:
East Londoner wrote:I'm 18 next year, and if we're doing the cakes by birth years, I don't get a cake because no car ran with #18 in 1995. :cry: :?

I'm also 18 next year, and we don't get a cake until 2016, as the 19 and 20 belonged to Larrousse before they withdrew before 1995 season.

At least we would have had the legendary Pacific of Andrea Montermini for this year
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I will be 15 next year, and #15 In 1998 was Johnny Herbert's Sauber.

So I get a car by my favourite team
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I'll be 20 in January. Car #20 back in 1993 was Erik Comas in the Larrousse.

Wait until 2025, car 21 from 2004.

Or 2015, car 12 from 2003, although only for 2 races.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

I'll be 22 next year, and in 1991 that number belonged to... JJ Lehto's Dallara! The same bloke as in my avatar.

Too bad I wouldn't get a cake in that shape no matter how nicely I asked. My mum dislikes cooking and it's good enough if I can get her make any cake at all...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I will be 41 next year - that will be my last opportunity for a real reject cake if I'm not mistaken! (And what a cake that would be)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I celebrated my 30th birthday a few months ago - car number 30 from 1982 was... Mauro Baldi in an Arrows Ford! As of 1982, he was a reject with 2 6th places in his debut season.

Next year, I would have the honour of Jean-Pierre Jarier's Osella. They scored 5 WC points, just about making them eligible for reject status.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

I'll be turning 16 next year, which conveniently pairs with the Pacific of Jean-Denis Deletraz/Johnny Carwash/Bertrand Gachot from 1995! The number was also held by Ivan Capelli in his epic second place finish at the 1990 French GP for Leyton House. Today I learned that Adrian Newey's first job as an F1 designer was at March.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

It doesn't have to be from the year of your birth, does it? Although if it was then I would have Luis Perez-Sala's Minardi for my next birthday :D
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Warren Hughes wrote:It doesn't have to be from the year of your birth, does it? Although if it was then I would have Luis Perez-Sala's Minardi for my next birthday :D

No, I don't think it does.

I've started thinking about doing mine, and I will (time-permitting) try to have a go at Jan Magnussen's Stewart SF02. Only question is, do I pipe out the tartan pattern with icing or do I try and buy some?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Warren Hughes wrote:It doesn't have to be from the year of your birth, does it?

It doesn't, or I'd have shot myself in the face with that rule. Car 34 was strangely absent from a lot of those late 70s - early 80s seasons when the list was oversubscribed, though were I to apply that rule and wait a couple of years, there were two cars in the 1979 season with number 36 - and one was Gianfranco Brancatelli's Kauhsen. Reject gold, and then some.

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:I've started thinking about doing mine, and I will (time-permitting) try to have a go at Jan Magnussen's Stewart SF02. Only question is, do I pipe out the tartan pattern with icing or do I try and buy some?

Do it. Until someone does, this is still just a thread about "numbers on reject cars" with a bit of discussion about baking thrown in. I'm tempted to do my own, although I know someone who likes baking so much it might be done for me...

Barbazza wrote:I will be 41 next year - that will be my last opportunity for a real reject cake if I'm not mistaken! (And what a cake that would be)

You'll be into the realm of private entries after that. Jonathan Palmer had a third Williams entered with #42 in 1983, but that's about it. Three cars had #43 in 1980, though, the first of which was Desiré Wilson in a privately-entered Williams. The first woman ever to win a F1 race (in the Aurora AFX series, but still), and who gave this site an interview on top of that. Do it!

Incidentally, anyone who's going to crack 40, I reckon it'll be a lot easier to make a cake of Stefan Johansson's Spirit from 1983 - I think all that wasn't square on that car were the wheels. Then, a year later, tackle the AGS JH23B - or a late-season JH24, they were both equally hopeless.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

LellaLombardi wrote:I've got a good rejectful one: Car number 32 in the 1981 season (don't forget this would also be HWNSNBM's cake) is an Osella. It was driven by five people I've never even heard of. How apt.

Mine is #31 from 1981 which is Miguel Angel Guerra in an Osella. I think we have the best ones. ;)

Also since Osella is one of my favourite teams, learning this little fact has made my day.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Off the top of my head, I could go with Johnny Ceccotto in 1984, driving Toleman's #20 alongside Ayrton Senna. Not a reject car, the Toleman TG184 - Hart, but the driver is. If I had to pick #20 from 1992, it would be Martin Brundle driving the Benetton B192 - Ford Cosworth, not a reject pair at all.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

tristan1117 wrote:I'll be turning 16 next year, which conveniently pairs with the Pacific of Jean-Denis Deletraz/Johnny Carwash/Bertrand Gachot from 1995! The number was also held by Ivan Capelli in his epic second place finish at the 1990 French GP for Leyton House. Today I learned that Adrian Newey's first job as an F1 designer was at March.

:o I'd never have guessd that. I always thought you were in your 20s, but I guess this is just another case of Pasta getting it all wrong! :lol:
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
I forti sopravivono

Post by I forti sopravivono »

My next birthday is on february 5th.
My 27th.

It was Michele Alberto who drove the famous 27 around in 1986.
Alboreto had #27 for the 5 seasons he drove for the prancing horse.

Not one of his best Ferrari seasons, since Alboreto was second in 1985 and 8th in '86.
To have a true Reject number I have to wait until 2017 for #31 on the AGS of Capelli

To get a reject #27 I can take the Embassy Hill Lola - Ford of 1974 driven by Rolf stommelen, Guy Edwards and Peter Gethin.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

I'm currently 38, and, if StatsF1 is anything to go by, I've got a cracking selection to choose from, everyone from Graham Hill and Sebastian Vettel to Johnny Claes and Jo Siffert, but for ultimate rejectfulness I'm going
to take Ryan Briscoe, who apparently did 6 Friday sessions for Toyota in 2004 - who knew?

For my next birthday, the choice is not so good, though I do get Danny Ongais, and I'm liking Marcus Winkelhock, but for even more obscurity, how about Bobbi Matteo, who drove one session for Minardi, at Imola in 2003?

If we're going by the number being active on your birth year, I don't get any entrants until I'm 41, when I get the choice of Tim Schenken or Andy Sutcliffe.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

madmark1974 wrote:I'm currently 38, and, if StatsF1 is anything to go by, I've got a cracking selection to choose from, everyone from Graham Hill and Sebastian Vettel to Johnny Claes and Jo Siffert, but for ultimate rejectfulness I'm going
to take Ryan Briscoe, who apparently did 6 Friday sessions for Toyota in 2004 - who knew?

If I knew at the time I'd forgotten by now, but otherwise you've got two massive reject choices coming up - and all these are easy to turn into birthday cakes because neither team had much in the way of sponsors. Car 39 in 1989 - the second Rial, driven by Volker "Was? Was sagst du?" Weidler and Pierre-Henri "One day I'll be a test driver for Bugatti" Raphanel, all you'll need for that is a couple of shades of blue. And do you really need me to mention 1990...? I've even got some ideas for how a Life cake could be built - cut a Swiss roll in half, and you've got the perfect shape for those extra airboxes at the side of the engine cover that the original FIRST never had.

And talking of FIRST, the Wikipedia page for the 1989 F1 season has just sprouted FIRST as an official entry for round 1, running car number 42. Which is odd, because every picture I've ever seen of that car had it as number 9 - which Arrows then took at the beginning of the season and triggered a huge number merry-go-round. Has anyone seen any evidence at all of a FIRST with number 42 on it? It'd be "never-had-a-chance-to-be-a-reject" gold, like USF1 and the 1993 March...
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

madmark1974 wrote:For my next birthday, the choice is not so good, though I do get Danny Ongais, and I'm liking Marcus Winkelhock, but for even more obscurity, how about Bobbi Matteo, who drove one session for Minardi, at Imola in 2003?

So obscure you got his name wrong? :lol: Gone a bit 'Jean Max' on us there Mark!
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

dinizintheoven wrote:And talking of FIRST, the Wikipedia page for the 1989 F1 season has just sprouted FIRST as an official entry for round 1, running car number 42. Which is odd, because every picture I've ever seen of that car had it as number 9 - which Arrows then took at the beginning of the season and triggered a huge number merry-go-round. Has anyone seen any evidence at all of a FIRST with number 42 on it? It'd be "never-had-a-chance-to-be-a-reject" gold, like USF1 and the 1993 March...

It's been on the wiki's entry list for a while now. The reason why all images of it bear the number 9 is that the only time the original FIRST chassis was driven was at the 1988 Bologna Motor Show held in December of that year. Only six cars took part in the Idoor Trophy so I'm not sure why they had that number, although it might be one they used in F3000.

But when it was entered for the F1 championship, the only available number was 42 due to the huge number of new entrants (although I'm puzzled why AGS' number 14 wasn't redistributed instead). The numbering system was very complicated back then so there might not be a definite answer.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Warren Hughes wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:For my next birthday, the choice is not so good, though I do get Danny Ongais, and I'm liking Marcus Winkelhock, but for even more obscurity, how about Bobbi Matteo, who drove one session for Minardi, at Imola in 2003?

So obscure you got his name wrong? :lol: Gone a bit 'Jean Max' on us there Mark!

Oops! That's what I get for trying to find someone no-one's heard of, by actually making him into someone who didn't even exist ... Pesky double first-name names!

Apologies to that BobMatBiTeo fellow ... :)