f1's most rejectful corners

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
roblo97

f1's most rejectful corners

Post by roblo97 »

this is a link i found on the worst corners in f1
http://richardsf1.com/2010/12/11/top-10 ... formula-1/
thing is, can you lot do better, if you want to add others which have not been featured, please do :D
Last edited by roblo97 on 29 Sep 2012, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: f1's most rejectful corners

Post by pasta_maldonado »

As I said in the PMcMT, you have blatantly lifted this article from another website. Please, if you are going to share with us an article you like, just post a link, don't copy and paste it and act like you sat there and typed that lot out. ;)
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I guess you could call the unnamed chicane at Catalunya the Europcar chicane, but that might cause confusion with turn 13, Europcar, just before it. Unless you just want to call the chicane "turns 14 and 15", of course.

Anyway, the first thing that occurs to me about making a list of the worst corners ever is that said corners would have to have something "special" about them; otherwise the list would just be filled with a bunch of nigh-identical tight 90-degree corners. Also, corners which had to be there for safety reasons are left out. Removing this restriction, the 1994 tyre chicane at Catalunya wins easily for me. With all that in mind, here's my list:

6. The new turn 1 at the Hockenheimring
The old version is way better. It was faster, and it wouldn't have as many weird corner-cutting on the outside problems.

5. The old turn 3 at the Hungaroring
The new version is a fun, high-speed corner. It's gone through something like Eau Rouge, Blanchimont, and many other corners have where better cars mean it's easy to take flat now, but it's a hell of a lot better than the old, boring chicane that they used to use.

4. The old Acque Minerali chicane
Just a boring little chicane when they could've done much better. Thankfully, they did for 1995.

3. The Endurance layout esses at Bahrain
It was a failed experiment. Still, they had to conduct said experiment because... er... yeah, why did they ever replace a couple perfectly good corners with those boring esses for one year?

2. Total (the first turn) at Kyalami
The new Kyalami has some serious overtaking problems, but they could've been lessened by making the first corner, this is going to sound weird, kind of like the new Tamburello. This is what I mean. Instead, they made a high-speed yet dull right-left thing that does barely anything for the track.

1. The three random chicanes at Fair Park
They could've had nice long straights, with good overtaking points as a result, but instead they decided to put pointless chicanes in the middle for some reason.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

How about this? Turns 1 to 21 of the Abu Dhabi Street Circuit...
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Singapore Sling [/thread]
I like the way Snrub thinks!
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

The temporary chicane at Zandvoort in 1979; design assistance from Jody Scheckter.

The extra hairpin turn that featured as part of the original Detroit street circuit layout, but was removed thereafter.

Not F1, but the first corner of Oschersleben. "The guy who designed that corner should be taken into a dark room and be beaten."
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:2. Total (the first turn) at Kyalami
The new Kyalami has some serious overtaking problems, but they could've been lessened by making the first corner, this is going to sound weird, kind of like the new Tamburello. This is what I mean. Instead, they made a high-speed yet dull right-left thing that does barely anything for the track.

Oi! I take great offense to that on the basis that it made the start of the F2RWRS race there very interesting :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

pasta_maldonado wrote:As I said in the PMcMT, you have blatantly lifted this article from another website. Please, if you are going to share with us an article you like, just post a link, don't copy and paste it and act like you sat there and typed that lot out. ;)

This.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

pasta_maldonado wrote:As I said in the PMcMT, you have blatantly lifted this article from another website. Please, if you are going to share with us an article you like, just post a link, don't copy and paste it and act like you sat there and typed that lot out. ;)

thanks for that i have changed it now based on what you said 8-)
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

midgrid wrote:Not F1, but the first corner of Oschersleben. "The guy who designed that corner should be taken into a dark room and be beaten."

I knew that was going to come up here. See also, for the other canonical non-F1 example, that hairpin on the Beijing International Street Circuit that the cars couldn't get round when A1GP visited.

Controversial Jacques is going to stick his neck on the line here and say "every corner at the current layout of Fuji", as the difference between the 1976 version with its long, flowing curves and the late-2000s hack-job where said curves have been chopped into a series of tiny straights joined by corners called merely "xR" is shockingly symptomatic of the way circuit design has gone. Next stop, Spa...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

-F1 hasn't raced there but: the 4 double-chicanes from Chimay. (in fact, all of that track is featureless, even the old track from the non-championship f1 races wasn't worth mentioning)
Yet in a way, i love these corners, they always cause lots of chaos, would be perfect for any virtual championship here.
-The Rindt-chicane at Zolder: it doesn't slow cars down, it doesn't help cars overtake, it doesn't increase safety, it's not spectacular to drive or to look at, it is absolutely pointless, and removing it would absolutely make no difference.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
I forti sopravivono

Post by I forti sopravivono »

When I read the topic title I immediately thought of the Panic-version of Eau Rouge '94 and the chicane of tires in Barcelona, soon to be hit by a pacific.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

I forti sopravivono wrote:When I read the topic title I immediately thought of the Panic-version of Eau Rouge '94 and the chicane of tires in Barcelona, soon to be hit by a pacific.

Not to mention the one on the back straight at montreal........
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

I forti sopravivono wrote:When I read the topic title I immediately thought of the Panic-version of Eau Rouge '94 and the chicane of tires in Barcelona, soon to be hit by a pacific.

Text book example of a knee-jerk reaction. Besides, those chicanes couldn't even stop an Andrea Moda on full wets on a bine dry track after engine failure...
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

The 'new' Bus Stop chicane at Spa. Not a patch on the old one IMO. Also, turns 1-26 on the Valencia street circuit.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

pasta_maldonado wrote:

Text book example of a knee-jerk reaction. Besides, those chicanes couldn't even stop a Life on full wets on a bone dry track after engine failure...

Fixed...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
I forti sopravivono

In the first (?) A1GP seasons I slightly remember one circuit that contained a hairpin that was too narrow to take in one time (without doing it in Rally-handbrakestyle).
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I forti sopravivono wrote:In the first (?) A1GP seasons I slightly remember one circuit that contained a hairpin that was too narrow to take in one time (without doing it in Rally-handbrakestyle).

That would be Beijing, just one of a long line or rejectful Chinese Street Circuits :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

The 'Singapore Sling' is a horrendous corner...hell, it's not even a corner. It's got zero overtake potential and taking a line that's even slightly wrong can spit you into the wall.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
girry

Post by girry »

That's exactly why Singapore Sling is a brilliant corner - you make a mistake, you crash, as F1 should be....not too many of those corners left anymore ^^
when you're dead people start listening
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:The 'Singapore Sling' is a horrendous corner...hell, it's not even a corner. It's got zero overtake potential and taking a line that's even slightly wrong can spit you into the wall.

What race were you watching last weekend? :lol:
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:The 'Singapore Sling' is a horrendous corner...hell, it's not even a corner. It's got zero overtake potential and taking a line that's even slightly wrong can spit you into the wall.

I seriously wish the Singapore GP organizers will make that turn a fast double apex.That way there is some excitement and some chance of an overtake.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

giraurd wrote:That's exactly why Singapore Sling is a brilliant corner - you make a mistake, you crash, as F1 should be....not too many of those corners left anymore ^^

Really? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't remember a single crash at that corner caused by a mistake.

Unless you count a driver blundering over the kerbs at a snail's pace, putting their eyeballs back in and then discovering that they've still got forty feet of run-off to cover before they're in any danger of hitting the barriers a 'crash'.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q_HYHvG1-M - Although this was before the foot-high kerbs were installed.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
I forti sopravivono

Wizzie wrote:
I forti sopravivono wrote:In the first (?) A1GP seasons I slightly remember one circuit that contained a hairpin that was too narrow to take in one time (without doing it in Rally-handbrakestyle).

That would be Beijing, just one of a long line or rejectful Chinese Street Circuits :lol:

Yes is was :lol:

About that old tire chicane in the ostcurve of Hockenheim;
It was one of the points on the track I always gained time on opponent drivers at F1GP, I went through in around 5th gear while the others struggled around it in 2nd gear.
And there were lots of crashes in it, by drivers who tried to overtake the Chilean way.
UncreativeUsername37

I forti sopravivono wrote:Yes is was :lol:

It was one of the points on the track I always gained time on opponent drivers at F1GP, I went through in around 5th gear while the others struggled around it in 2nd gear.
And there were lots of crashes in it, by drivers who tried to overtake the Chilean way.

I've played F1GP thanks to DOSBox, and I remember every time I went through that chicane I thought I was going to die. It was one of those things where I'd risk it in qualifying, but usually not try anything crazy during a race. It reminds me of the old Nouvelle chicane at Monaco.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

The pre '95 Acqua Minerale was horrendous. At least in terms of playing video games, I hated it more than any other corner...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
I forti sopravivono wrote:Yes is was :lol:

I've played F1GP thanks to DOSBox, and I remember every time I went through that chicane I thought I was going to die. It was one of those things where I'd risk it in qualifying, but usually not try anything crazy during a race. It reminds me of the old Nouvelle chicane at Monaco.

Speaking of which the schumacher chicane at enna pegursa is very simmilar to the old ostkurve chicane because whenever you overtake there on shift unleashed (good game) there is always a few dnfs there yet in freeplay mode you can take in flat out if you know what your doing
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

UncreativeUsername37

roblomas52 wrote:Speaking of which the schumacher chicane at enna pegursa is very simmilar to the old ostkurve chicane because whenever you overtake there on shift unleashed (good game) there is always a few dnfs there yet in freeplay mode you can take in flat out if you know what your doing

Looking at a map, the layout of Pergusa reminds me a lot of the old Hockenheimring in general.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:Speaking of which the schumacher chicane at enna pegursa is very simmilar to the old ostkurve chicane because whenever you overtake there on shift unleashed (good game) there is always a few dnfs there yet in freeplay mode you can take in flat out if you know what your doing

Looking at a map, the layout of Pergusa reminds me a lot of the old Hockenheimring in general.

Pergusa without the chicanes is simply epic! :D
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

I agree with most of the corners listed. I'm not even willing to call today's last corner in Spa the Bus Stop, that's long gone. :(

Some others I thought of:
- the last turn in Korea with the pit entry
- the old double Rettifilo
- turn 4-5 in Valencia
- last corner in Fuji (that's more of a game experience :lol: )
UncreativeUsername37

QuickYoda41 wrote:I agree with most of the corners listed. I'm not even willing to call today's last corner in Spa the Bus Stop, that's long gone. :(

Some others I thought of:
- the last turn in Korea with the pit entry
- the old double Rettifilo
- turn 4-5 in Valencia
- last corner in Fuji (that's more of a game experience :lol: )

The first turn in Korea with the pit exit.

A turn I hate because of a game would be Tosa at the 1999 Imola, because the kerb on the inside is evil.*
*Its evilness from 2000 to 2002 remains untested
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

QuickYoda41 wrote:I'm not even willing to call today's last corner in Spa the Bus Stop, that's long gone. :(

Would Coach Terminus be an acceptable substitute? :P
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

QuickYoda41 wrote:- last corner in Fuji (that's more of a game experience :lol: )

Hell, the entire last sector at Fuji's horrible to drive on in GP4. Especially with that hateful BMW Sauber F1.08 which had the turning circle of an oil tanker if you couldn't find the operating band of the car
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Wizzie wrote:
QuickYoda41 wrote:- last corner in Fuji (that's more of a game experience :lol: )

Hell, the entire last sector at Fuji's horrible to drive on in GP4. Especially with that hateful BMW Sauber F1.08 which had the turning circle of an oil tanker if you couldn't find the operating band of the car

You needed some sort of challenge.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

redbulljack14 wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

You needed some sort of challenge.

To this day, mad Uncle Melrose firmly believes that the F1.08 was the worst car he's ever driven, and he has driven some absolute shockers in his time :lol:
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

What, the 2015 Simpson car wasn't bad enough?? :?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

JeremyMcClean wrote:What, the 2015 Simpson car wasn't bad enough?? :?

The Simpson car's a very close second but it's early days yet. Then again, Melrose has pretty much gone insane since 2012 :lol:
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

i belive the fial sector at catalunya is the worst sector in f1
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

UncreativeUsername37

roblomas52 wrote:i belive the fial sector at abu dhabi is the worst sector in f1

That's better.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Turn 1 in Indianapolis (which in F1 was turn 13). It ate tires and multiple crashes from tire failures occurred in that high speed corner.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!