The 2012 Singapore GP Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
14 Hundred Hours

Re: The 2012 Singapore GP Discussion Thread

Post by 14 Hundred Hours »

redbulljack14 wrote:Glock up to 13th. One more screw up from a driver ahead of him, and Marussia will jump ahead of Caterham.

One more screw up leading to a big collision leading to Glock scoring points?... I don't like to wish for accidents (generally), but it's pretty tempting right now.
Timo Glock für Bürgermeister.
Also I'm a girl. Maybe I shoulda made this clear waaay back to avoid confusion!
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Question for the anoraks on here: Will this be the first race since Monaco 1997 where we hit the two hour mark?
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

^ Yes, the first dry race since 1991 to do it
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
S951

Post by S951 »

GLOCK 12TH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Senna out - Glock 12th, Pic 13th!

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Senna out. Marussia go into 10th!!
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Well done Di Resta :)
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

And that single result unrejectifies di Resta.

TheBigJ

Post by TheBigJ »

Glock is 12th!
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Incredible race from Di Resta. Opportunistic win for Vettel but he drove fairly well. Loads of candidates for ROTR this time though...
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Pretty fireworks.....
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Shizuka wrote:And that single result unrejectifies di Resta.

Only 4 rejects left on the grid.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
S951

Post by S951 »

Don't know how you lot feel but I'm actually quite happy Marussia & Glock finished 12th Caterham to me have been very disappointing this year guess this is a good reward for 3 years hard work
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

"What happened there?"

The engineer did not refer to the accident, he was merely talking about the last 3 years.
-*:-
mario

Post by mario »

AdrianSutil wrote:Senna out. Marussia go into 10th!!

Now that is going to be a bitter pill to swallow for Caterham - they must have been desperately hoping that Bruno could limp round for just one more lap, as they must have lost out on 10th in the WCC by seconds.

AdrianSutil wrote:Well done Di Resta :)

He seems to love this particular track (6th last year and 4th today) - they seem to be doing their usual thing of coming on strong in the latter stages, and that was a pretty firm response to Hulkenberg's recent upswing in performance.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

Am I the only one who's getting increasingly annoyed by the new podium ceremony?
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

I wonder who's going to do podium interviews? Alex Yoong?
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Boy do they look tired!
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

LellaLombardi wrote:Boy do they look tired!

Vettel looks more like he's crying.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

WaffleCat wrote:I wonder who's going to do podium interviews? Alex Yoong?

Eddie Jordan
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

Virgin/Marussia set their new PB, and - on a trivia note - first 12th position from any of the newcomers since Heikki Kovalainen at Suzuka in 2010.
Wonderful drive from DIR :o
Last edited by Pointrox on 23 Sep 2012, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

EJ is doing the podium interview. They must be desperate
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

WaffleCat wrote:I wonder who's going to do podium interviews? Alex Yoong?

EJ lol. Expect hilarity!
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

TomPryce

Post by TomPryce »

God Eddie's useless. He makes me cringe :lol:
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

EJ offering Vettel a mic when he already has one /facepalm

Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

EJ's shirt itself is hilarious... and the microphone part too. :lol:

TheBigJ

Post by TheBigJ »

EJ is brillant. He's just a born showman.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

The crowd's cheering was so delightful when Button asked did they enjoy it. Jenson is a good showman, that's for sure.

WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

EJ just makes the podium interviews....work somehow.

AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

I thought EJ did alright. He has a personality, unlike Jackie Stewart and Niki Lauda.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

mediocre

Post by mediocre »

AdrianSutil wrote:I thought EJ did alright. He has a personality, unlike Jackie Stewart and Niki Lauda.

Or Jacky Ickx.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

mediocre wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:I thought EJ did alright. He has a personality, unlike Jackie Stewart and Niki Lauda.

Or Jacky Ickx.

Ickx kinda looks like he'd drive around towns in an old Jag picking up younger women...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
mario

Post by mario »

Wrapping up one of the incidents from that race, Adam Cooper is reporting that Schumacher is being given a 10 place grid penalty at the next race for crashing into Vergne.
It therefore appears that it was driver error (perhaps he allowed his brakes to cool off a little too much behind the safety car, hence why he was unable to stop as quickly as he thought he could) that was behind the cause of that accident, as least according to the stewards interpretation of events. http://adamcooperf1.com/2012/09/23/schu ... d-penalty/

[EDIT] Further news has emerged - it looks like Webber might be losing the solitary point that he gained for 10th place, because the stewards have announced that he is being given a post race time penalty for gaining an advantage by leaving the track.
No / Driver 2 - Mark Webber
Competitor: Red Bull Racing
Time: 21:46
Session: Race
Fact: Car 2 left the track and gained an advantage when he rejoined
Offence: Breach of Article 20.2 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.
Decision: Drive-through Penalty, imposed after the race in accordance of Article 16.3 ( 20 seconds added to elapsed race time).
Reason: Notwithstanding that the distance by which car 2 left the circuit was minimal, advantage was gained hence a breach did in fact occur. Such a breach has consistently attracted a drive-through Penalty.

Meanwhile, Vettel's driving behind the safety car did briefly attract a little bit of attention from the stewards (the sharp braking behind the safety car that nearly caught out Button) - based on the telemetry traces from both cars, they concluded that Vettel's driving was not sufficiently erratic to warrant further action.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

S951 wrote:Don't know how you lot feel but I'm actually quite happy Marussia & Glock finished 12th Caterham to me have been very disappointing this year guess this is a good reward for 3 years hard work

I'm delighted, as they were close on pace anyway so they deserve a bit of luck. And I hate Tony Fernandes.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

It wasn't the worst (except for the shirt) as at least he does it for a living so knows how to interview people, but he's still intensely annoying. Whenever he appears, I usually go all 'Father Jack' ie "How did that gobsh!te get on the television?!"
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Well I enjoyed this Grand Prix; it seems that Singapore is getting better over the years, and this was one of the better races of the season. Several thoughts:
- This might be Schumacher's last year, and I think he will be "gently persuaded" to retire after the end of the year. The crash of his, if it did stem from him cooling his brakes too much, was inexcusable. With the 10 spot grid penalty in Japan (didn't he get a penalty last year for the same thing?) this come-back has been less than good.

- Conversely, I can see Hamilton going to Mercedes now. The look he had when he got out of his stricken McLaren just seemed to say "yeah, I knew this was coming." It is a bit surprising to see that McLaren didn't change the gearbox and take the penalty here (if the failure did stem from an oil leak or whatever was wrong with the gearbox), and start in 6th. I guess they didn't want to give the pole to Maldonado, especially after the events in Spain.

- Massa's drive was incredible. Yeah, he got lucky with the safety car, but with this circuit an SC was inevitable. The pass with Senna was just outstanding. To be honest, Perez going to Ferrari seems less and less likely...

- This brings me to Sauber, and more importantly, Kamui Kobayashi and his future. Today was not Kamui's day by far. Incidents with Hulkenberg, a suspect incident with Webber, and general lack of pace was really not typical of him. That said, I really don't know what the future holds. I would have put him for Massa's seat considering Ferrari does not take drivers that don't have at least 1 year experience behind the wheel, and with Kobayashi's excellent races in 2009 and 2010 I would have thought he would be perfect for Ferrari. That said, I don't think he has that spark anymore. He is being overlooked by Perez, who is having a much better season this year than Kobayashi, and while (I think) they are both somewhat equal in points Perez has been on the podium three times, whilst Kobayashi has not scored a podium at all. Because next race is his home race, I expect him to do really well; it would be sad to see him replaced by Gutierrez, but really at this point he is driving for his job. I don't want to see him become a wasted talent like Petrov (who clearly has speed looking back at his Renault days) or Pic (who might be really good if it wasn't for that shoebox of a Marussia).

- Caterham have been incredibly disappointing this year. Yes, as they progress, so do the rest of the grid, so it isn't surprising to see them still towards the back. However, they were taken over by Marussia; the same Marussia that has barely any development, and at one point was being beaten by the HRTs. Heck, if the speed of the HRTs mean anything, I wouldn't be surprised to see HRT surprassing Caterham by the end of the year, which would be incredibly devastating. It seems that Caterham this year are the equivalent of Forti Corse; a backmarker team with a lot of cash, but their cars are rolling chicanes (though not as bad as Forti granted), and drivers who have skill but cannot use it to their advantage because quite frankly the car is crap.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Some assorted thoughts on the race.

Stewards were godawful again. What was the point of investigating drivers making some quite brilliant avoidance jobs at the start. And apart from the Schumi-Vergne crash, all of the other incidents that were investigated looked either quite marginal, or were clear racing incidents.

Judging from his body language just after his retirement, I think MC Hamilton has a fat Mercedes contract in his pocket. He didn't seem too bothered or aggrevated.

Michael Schumacher needs to retire, NOW. That was truely pathetic driving. Vergne was a country mile in front of him, how can you manage to screw up your braking point that badly? And his excuse was utterly piss-poor. His engineer's reaction over the radio was hilarious, mind you. :lol:

How the funk did Massa and Senna avoid having the mother and father of all accidents there?! Unbelievable driving from the pair of them. :shock:

Gutted for Maldonado, but even if his hyduralics hadn't packed up, I feel his strategy was the wrong way to go, and of course the safety car further amplified the damage.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

I haven't seen the race yet, but it sounds like my man GRRSSJJN has kept his nose clean, scored some points, and helped Kimi out. Not a bad weekend. Shame about Hamilton though.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote:I haven't seen the race yet, but it sounds like my man GRRSSJJN has kept his nose clean, scored some points, and helped Kimi out. Not a bad weekend. Shame about Hamilton though.

He might've figured a bit more in the race had he not had one of the wildest laps I've ever seen in Q3. Overall I think he should be reasonably pleased with his return.

East Londoner wrote:Stewards were godawful again. What was the point of investigating drivers making some quite brilliant avoidance jobs at the start.

Making sure nobody did what Raikkonen did at Spa 2009.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Not wanting to be a kill-joy about Massa's move on senna but, i am sure the drivers had an agreement about no overtakes on the anderson brige :?: