The 2012 IndyCar Series thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
F1000X

Re: The 2012 IndyCar Series thread

Post by F1000X »

Sullivangate wrote:
Cynon wrote:
Sullivangate wrote:All the more depressing when he goes to NASCAR next season.

That would be the dumbest move Hunter-Reay could possibly make -- even dumber than his decision to go to Rocketsports (which almost killed his career).

Who are you to doubt the intelligence of Paul Gentilozzi?

This is the guy who got beat by a Qvale Mangusta in Trans Am.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

F1000X wrote:
Sullivangate wrote:Who are you to doubt the intelligence of Paul Gentilozzi?

What on earth is a Qvale Mangusta?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

dr-baker wrote:
F1000X wrote:
Sullivangate wrote:Who are you to doubt the intelligence of Paul Gentilozzi?

What on earth is a Qvale Mangusta?

Exactly.
Sullivangate

Post by Sullivangate »

Kurt Busch is rumored to be the mystery Andretti Autosport driver in NASCAR next season. So we can cheer for RHR now.

And he won pole today. :P.
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

Sullivangate wrote:Kurt Busch is rumored to be the mystery Andretti Autosport driver in NASCAR next season. So we can cheer for RHR now.

He starts 11th after engine change penalty. Which means Sato starts THIRD!
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

I can't be the only one here who thinks Will Power is the Oranje of IndyCar right? :P

I mean seriously! Is he going to end up being known as the best IndyCar driver to never win a title?
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Sullivangate

Post by Sullivangate »

RealRacingRoots wrote:
Sullivangate wrote:Kurt Busch is rumored to be the mystery Andretti Autosport driver in NASCAR next season. So we can cheer for RHR now.

He starts 11th after engine change penalty. Which means Sato starts THIRD!

He still got the point. And in IndyCar a good car can make up about ten spots in about ten laps.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

RealRacingRoots wrote:He starts 11th after engine change penalty. Which means Sato starts THIRD!

Which means Sato will crash out during the race. :(
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Sato is very close to Castroneves, but the brazilian has more push to pass time. Battle for the lead in the final 15 laps.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Free Sky Sports this weekend so I thought I'd watch the start of the race. After 10 minutes I was bored. The cars look ludicrous, I haven't seen Indycar in years so when did they start looking like that?!
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

Dang. Really hoping for a Sato victory. Push to pass/defend being the main factor for Helios victory
Say your prayers, here comes the Pastor
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:I can't be the only one here who thinks Will Power is the Oranje of IndyCar right? :P

I mean seriously! Is he going to end up being known as the best IndyCar driver to never win a title?

Castroneves doesn't have a title and I'd say he's better than Power. If I'm not mistaken, Helio is ahead of Power in points...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Cynon wrote:
Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:I can't be the only one here who thinks Will Power is the Oranje of IndyCar right? :P

Castroneves doesn't have a title and I'd say he's better than Power. If I'm not mistaken, Helio is ahead of Power in points...

That's correct, Helio has 339 compared to Power's 336. Interestingly enough, before Power's 3rd place at Edmonton tday, he hadn't visited the podium since his 3 in a row. I really hope Hunter-Reay doesn't throw this championship away, I like him as a driver, and although I wouldn't mind a Castroneves win I for some reason dislike Power. Anyway, it will be good for Indycar if an American wins it for a change :)
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

My only comment on this race is, why do they have so many "push to pass" boosts? Watching the closing stages of the race Sato had 12 boosts to Castroneves's 20 odd on the last lap, come on.
Message me on Discord.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Marshall Pruett has written a good article on the inevitable that everyone saw coming months ago, the departure of Lotus:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... d-of-2012/
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
RealRacingRoots

Shadaza wrote:My only comment on this race is, why do they have so many "push to pass" boosts? Watching the closing stages of the race Sato had 12 boosts to Castroneves's 20 odd on the last lap, come on.

They say no to competition Yellows and GWC, and yet are ok with the equally questionable push to pass. It ruined a potentially great battle for the win. Come on Beaux, you're letting me down after you do so well..

And I'd be okay with Lotus leaving.
GT Super Series
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Barbazza wrote:Free Sky Sports this weekend so I thought I'd watch the start of the race. After 10 minutes I was bored. The cars look ludicrous, I haven't seen Indycar in years so when did they start looking like that?!

They starting looking like that this year. Dan Wheldon spent a lot of time developing the car last year because of his lack of a race drive, which makes it even more unfortunate that he died in the final race for the last car, which was considered less safe than the car that he was developing. This current car as a result is designated the DW12 in Dan's honour.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Shadaza wrote:My only comment on this race is, why do they have so many "push to pass" boosts? Watching the closing stages of the race Sato had 12 boosts to Castroneves's 20 odd on the last lap, come on.

These numbers are the seconds they can use the system. De facto Sato had only one or two opportunities to use the thing since obviously a boost takes time to get going. That time limit system is nowhere near as ridiculous as DRS is currently handled anyhow, anyway.
RealRacingRoots

The Baltimore circuit has had some changes. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101666

Autosport wrote:The chicane on the main straight will be removed, the first corner will be widened, and Turns 5 and 6 - which includes the pit entry - will be reprofiled, according to Tony Cotman, whose NZR Consulting firm is building the circuit.

Sounds good to me.
GT Super Series
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

RealRacingRoots wrote:The Baltimore circuit has had some changes. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101666

Autosport wrote:The chicane on the main straight will be removed, the first corner will be widened, and Turns 5 and 6 - which includes the pit entry - will be reprofiled, according to Tony Cotman, whose NZR Consulting firm is building the circuit.

Sounds good to me.

This IS good news. It almost makes me want to pick up tickets and drive down.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Speed TV reports that one of our rejects and all-round very good driver Giorgio Pantano will sub for Charlie Kimball

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... d-kimball/

(Edit)

Autosport reporting it now as well:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101677
nome66

Post by nome66 »

another ehem, trustworthy site...
saw it here before i saw it on the other two posted there
http://www.indycar.com/News/2012/07-Jul ... or-Kimball
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

The Great Pantano will make a return to IndyCar for Ganassi's B-team in the #83 car at Mid-Ohio, replacing the injured Charlie Kimball: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101677
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Yannick wrote:The Great Pantano will make a return to IndyCar for Ganassi's B-team in the #83 car at Mid-Ohio, replacing the injured Charlie Kimball: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101677

A bit late mate, see the 2 posts above.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

RealRacingRoots wrote:

They say no to competition Yellows and GWC, and yet are ok with the equally questionable push to pass. It ruined a potentially great battle for the win. Come on Beaux, you're letting me down after you do so well..

And I'd be okay with Lotus leaving.

Castroneves saved his push to pass usage for the end of the race, whereas Sato burned his up. If there was no push to pass, Sato would never have been there to challenge Helio in the first place. 8)

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Faustus wrote:
Yannick wrote:The Great Pantano will make a return to IndyCar for Ganassi's B-team in the #83 car at Mid-Ohio, replacing the injured Charlie Kimball: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101677

A bit late mate, see the 2 posts above.

Oops. I feel so out of the loop. Here's hoping the Great Pantano will do his nickname some justice and have a great race, too.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
nome66

Post by nome66 »

woah he subbed in same time last year.....strange.
anyways, there are some failures in Downtown Baltimore's infrastructure, which is crazy old to begin with, near where the track will be constructed. Local contractors and repairmen say they'll have it fixed by mid august.. Two water mains by light street and a sinkhole(hopefully unrelated) farther north.

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

I can't decide weather caution free races are good or bad for Indycar.

I wish there was more passing between turn 1 and the keyhole. It was still a pretty good race though, night and day better than in previous years.
Sullivangate

Post by Sullivangate »

nome66 wrote:woah he subbed in same time last year.....strange.
anyways, there are some failures in Downtown Baltimore's infrastructure, which is crazy old to begin with, near where the track will be constructed. Local contractors and repairmen say they'll have it fixed by mid august.. Two water mains by light street and a sinkhole(hopefully unrelated) farther north.

This whole event is turning into a joke.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

actually the repairs are close to finished and there haven't been any more breaks in underground pipe lines. the track is being constructed as we speak... or type or whatever.

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Hmm, he could fit at Andretti if there is room for one more. Or Penske if they are willing to replace Briscoe.
But that could be a bad move.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

JeremyMcClean wrote:

Hmm, he could fit at Andretti if there is room for one more. Or Penske if they are willing to replace Briscoe.
But that could be a bad move.

Or replace Graham Rahal at Ganassi. I heard Chip needs a #2 driver that won't crash into everything and act like a dickweed.

By the way, Rahal's option expired.

I haven't been too impressed with Rubens in IndyCar. He's been about as good in an IndyCar as J.J. Lehto was in CART. Okay, not THAT bad, but it's still massively underwhelming.

nome66

Post by nome66 »

i figure this is very important, considering that Andretti is the promoter.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-0 ... grand-prix
The Sun is a very credible source in the baltimore area, plus you guys probably wouldn't see this on autosport anyways.

...come on andretti! give dodge some CPR in NASCAR!

Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

I knew this whole IndyCar story would end badly for Rubens, it's going to end like Ralf's story in DTM and at least the latter didn't piss somebody off by being disloyal.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Klon wrote:I knew this whole IndyCar story would end badly for Rubens, it's going to end like Ralf's story in DTM and at least the latter didn't piss somebody off by being disloyal.

I feel bad for him, I really wanted him to be competitive. At least there's no chance of him going to NASCRAP
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
nome66

Post by nome66 »

who knows, he could just take a short run through the Brazil Stockcar series(south american DTM)
the successful transition is IndyCar first, then F1, then NASCAR, as demonstrated by JPM.
One step forward, three or four steps back

F1000X

Post by F1000X »

I am not giving up on Rubens.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

hey! me neither!
http://www.indycar.com/en/News/2012/08- ... y-notebook

Also chevy "clinches the title" of engine manufacturers. their only competition was Honda, who even with bending the rules, came up short! love it when that happens! Dual Turbos FTW!, though honda has a chance at the top-speed touching California speedway(owned by penske of all chance).
Next Week is Baltimore and i believe that Power will validate his superb hold of the track record. They renovated turns 1,5,and 6 to improve racability.
i also know they will have better safety truck drivers.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr05J9nvUhA

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l