2012 to be the best season of all time?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

2012 to be the best season of all time?

Post by pasta_maldonado »

I might be a bit hasty calling this, but I have a hunch we'll be looking back at this one with rose tinted glasses for many years to come. Here's why:

1. A welcome releif to a boring season: Last year was boring. The threat of a bettel domination hanged over every event like a bad smell. Then, we get a blinder of a season to cheer us up.
2. Unpredicatability: This is one factor that defines some of the season we hold in such great esteem, like 1982.
3. 7 winners in 7 races.
4. 'Midfield' teams having the pace to challenge the big boys every weekend, and even winning.
5. No one is dominating everything: Pole has been a competition for the first time in 2 years. Also, the MCLaren domination never materialised
6. Plenty of on track moments
7. No one can keep up the form
8. Tracks that have proved to be boring have produced the best races of the year.

Do you agree?
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Londoner

Re: 2012 to be the best season of all time?

Post by Londoner »

YES. Full stop, new paragraph. Anyone that tries to argue otherwise is clearly in denial. :P :)

The Autosport Forum is absolutely hating it, blaming Pirelli for the season being too unpredictable for them to handle...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

5 teams that can challenge for wins at the very sharp end of the grid. Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren, Red Bull and Lotus

pasta_maldonado wrote:4. 'Midfield' teams having the pace to challenge the big boys every weekend, and even winning.

This is the smallest midfield as well, i'd only class 3 teams this season as midfield teams. Williams, Sauber and Force India.

Williams has won a race. YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!
Sauber have 2 podiums, one of those could have been a win.
Force India are even starting to close in on the top 7 teams now.

And arguably the best car on the grid is yet to win a race. I love this unpredictability, it's made the season so exciting. Saying that, Kimi will win at Spa.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

East Londoner wrote:YES. Full stop, new paragraph. Anyone that tries to argue otherwise is clearly in denial. :P :)

The Autosport Forum is absolutely hating it, blaming Pirelli for the season being too unpredictable for them to handle...

Autosport is full of oldfags anyway, they're just petulant James Allens who don't like being proven wrong because they have an ego problem.

I love this season. This race was just incredible. Anyone who complains about this season should shut up and stop watching the sport, because clearly they aren't F1 fans.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
tkcom

Post by tkcom »

"Homage to 1982 (minus deaths)" Great races! EVERYBODY WINS!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

tkcom wrote:"Homage to 1982 (minus deaths)" Great races! EVERYBODY WINS! except Massa

Appopriately fixed.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

I think 'best of all time' is a bit of a meaningless and unmeasurable superlative, but certainly the season has surpassed all plausible expectations so far. It's just going into the weekend with any one of 10 (or more) drivers being potential winners, and all but the few lovable stragglers potential points scorers; that's something that has rarely been seen in the sport's history if ever, and I agree, we should be grateful that we can enjoy it.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Put it this way: for the last few years people at work have tried to avoid discussing formula1 with me as I tend to rabbit on a bit. This year, same people can't wait to talk to me every other Sunday evening about what's happened.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

And you know that there isn't a better season in the future because?...
Trump 2016
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Depends on who takes the title :evil:
Just For One Day...
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

CoopsII wrote:Depends on who takes the title :evil:

As long as the season continues the way it has been, I couldn't care less who ends up winning it. Although a personal favourite would be Hamilton...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

AdrianSutil wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Depends on who takes the title :evil:

As long as the season continues the way it has been, I couldn't care less who ends up winning it.

Id like Webber to nick it as (once again :? ) this could be his last/best chance to do so but other than that I guess whoever takes it will have earned it.
Just For One Day...
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

This season has been the best I have ever seen. That is all.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
DalekSam

Post by DalekSam »

I don't recall being enthralled by an F1 season more than this year. Before, I would just cheer for my favourites, hope they do well and hope there was enough action to entertain me.

This year I have not seen a dull moment. A couple of years ago, I'd just stop watching mid-race and use the computer some more, leaving an audio feed in the background should anything exciting happen. This year, I've been glued to the screen all the time and that can only be a good thing.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Probably the best season since I started watching. Only thing I would change is making the cars a bit less reliable. Just cause I really want to see Caterham get their first points this season.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

I am seriously going to bathplugging kill the guy who decided to let Singtel broadcast all F1 races from 2010-2012 in Singapore.I have to resort to livestreams and text commentary from the BBC thanks to the stupid cable provider not even getting reception across such a small country.Even my mum's previous iPhone,which had a Singtel Card,could only get reception outside of our neighbourhood.

Long story short,I am missing the best F1 season ever thanks to my stupid cable provider.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

WaffleCat wrote:I am seriously going to bathplugging kill the guy who decided to let Singtel broadcast all F1 races from 2010-2012 in Singapore.I have to resort to livestreams and text commentary from the BBC thanks to the stupid cable provider not even getting reception across such a small country.Even my mum's previous iPhone,which had a Singtel Card,could only get reception outside of our neighbourhood.

Long story short,I am missing the best F1 season ever thanks to my stupid cable provider.

I feel for you man. I genuinely do, and i'm not one to care about that kind of stuff.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I personally enjoyed all the seasons from about 2007 onwards when I started to come back into F1 properly and follow every race as best I could. I'd stopped watching it regularly around 2000-2001 when MotoGP made it onto free TV in Britain, first Channel 5 and then the BBC. F1 just couldn't compete with it for excitement back then. From then on if I wasn't doing anything I'd stick ITV on and watch it if I fancied it. Most notably 2004 when Button was doing well as best of the rest behind Ferrari. But since 2007, I think we've had some really good seasons, with titles going down to the wire, some brilliant races, and lots of action. I guess 2011 probably goes in as the one lacking the most in recent times, but then you could say that about 2009, but I loved that, because of the fairytale of Brawn and Button in the beginning, and then their battle to try and stay in the fight towards the end.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Damn you spanish person for going and spoiling the run........ in a race that was as mad as a barrel of fish in a whirlwind or something :twisted:
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

WeirdKerr wrote:Damn you spanish person for going and spoiling the run........ in a race that was as mad as a barrel of fish in a whirlwind or something :twisted:

If only Perez hadn't made that mistake at Sepang, we'd have 8 winners from the first 8 races.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

You know it's a great season when even the teams themselves have no bathplugging idea as to what's going on :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
RonDenisDeletraz

Wizzie wrote:You know it's a great season when even the teams themselves have no bathplugging idea as to what's going on :lol:

With things like this I predict this season will just get even better.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

The fact that Webber is ahead of Vettel in the championship makes things better.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

If one of the Enstone drivers can pull through and mount a title challenge I will be very happy indeed.
Otherwise Hamilton v Alonso v Vettel please.
Message me on Discord.
mario

Post by mario »

shinji wrote:I think 'best of all time' is a bit of a meaningless and unmeasurable superlative, but certainly the season has surpassed all plausible expectations so far. It's just going into the weekend with any one of 10 (or more) drivers being potential winners, and all but the few lovable stragglers potential points scorers; that's something that has rarely been seen in the sport's history if ever, and I agree, we should be grateful that we can enjoy it.

Given that this season has come on the back of what was one of the most dominant performances that the sport has seen in its entire history, and the fact that the regulation changes for this season were not expected to significantly change the pecking order (most bookmakers were expecting another easy title for Vettel), the fact that this season is such an extreme contrast makes is stick out even more than you would have expected.
It certainly has surpassed all expectations by a long way, and it cannot be denied that the greater opportunities for smaller teams is better for the long term health of the sport, but I guess that it is worth adding the caveat that we are not yet halfway through the season, and it is plausible that we could see one particular team gradually edge away from its rivals in the latter half of the season, which would probably moderate the current excitement (both Alonso and Hamilton have been saying that they think Red Bull are starting to gain a slight performance advantage, and Red Bull have been pouring a lot of resources into their rear bodywork as of late - they had another iteration of their ducted rear bodywork for Valencia, which is the 4th different design that Red Bull have used since the car was launched).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
ranig

Post by ranig »

The Valencia race was NOT boring, which means that this is, if not the best, a remarkable season indeed :D
Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

Raikkonen is underperforming, but that Lotus is so good that even he has a chance. Not to mention Webber, now that Red Bull have gotten their act together.
Sticking his neck on the line, one post at a time. Oh, and Singapore is still better than Monaco.
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

This season is nearly as unpredictable as the REECCS.....but without the rolling trabbies

come to think of it is bernie just running this season on R factor ........ :lol:
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

WeirdKerr wrote:This season is nearly as unpredictable as the REECCS.....but without the rolling trabbies

come to think of it is bernie just running this season on R factor ........ :lol:

It's a reference to the best thread of 2009!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

dr-baker wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:This season is nearly as unpredictable as the REECCS.....but without the rolling trabbies

i forgot about that thread.....
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

dr-baker wrote:

That post by SáT is fantastic. As I seem to have thought at the time.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Patrickodye wrote:Well as per my view this season has been spectacular start.

Thanks for that!
Just For One Day...
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

CoopsII wrote:

Thanks for that!

My spidey sence detects a Spambot
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

RonDenisDeletraz

Cool story bro.

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

AdrianSutil wrote:My spidey sence detects a Spambot

Possibly although away from the computer keyboard with all the confidence that grants me I find myself conversing in the same stilted way.....
Just For One Day...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Christ, that spambot was partially on topic! :shock: :?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

eurobrun wrote:

Cool story bro.

Needs more HRT and stuff.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

EDIT: I thought I was posting in the A1 Grand Prix 1950 thing instead of this one.
Last edited by UncreativeUsername37 on 27 Jun 2012, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Eryx

Post by Eryx »

Heres what i dont get. . .I see loads of people (not us or not all of us at least) Whinging and Whinging about the fact this team cant keep up the pace and this team is slower then that when in truth THATS WHAT MAKES GREAT RACING. . .The reason why I and all the people i know stopped watching F1 in the Schumi days was purely because Schumi had the best car and usually won every race. . .So we just lost interest. . .I tune back in in 07 and see Hamilton nearly take the championship in his debut year and from then on im rehooked. . .this season is the best for unpredictability by far, Personally no matter what i think Caterham have finally got what it takes to break into the midfield with both cars instead of just Heikki but then again Vitaly wasnt that far away from taking Mr.Webber and Mr.Vergne and Maybe even Mr.Riccardo I'd even go as far to say that if Heikki hadnt been hit by the dumb Vergne and Vitaly by the idiodic Riccardo Team best Finish of 11th on the card? Maybe even 10th as we dont know what would of happened to the grid if they were further up (unlikely but possible) and whats more unpredictable then that. As for more unpredictability unless we have a high attrition race HRT and MarussiaGin are to far behind by nearly 2 seconds. Reliability i dont think comes into it very much for this season as the grid is so topsy turvy all we need is rain and we will have a chance of seeing a HRT in the points MarussiaGin the same.
Beauty is in the eye of the Badoer. :D
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

Any season that can make Valencia exciting has to be up there.

However I do see it being Alonso vs Vettel with Hamilton, Raikkonen and Webber a little bit behind.