Reject F1 Magazines

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
fjackdaw

Reject F1 Magazines

Post by fjackdaw »

Continuing my post in Rantbox, anyone remember / used to buy any of the defunct F1 magazines of yore?

F1 News was my favourite, maybe because it was the cheapest and didn't take anything too seriously. I also liked that the race reviews had photos of all the helmets - I used to be obsessed by the helmet colours, before they started changing them every week. They had a mystery columnist called Eff One. It shut down not long after the editor died, and the new editor made it all boring and corporate.

Formula 1 Racing - Hefty and tedious corporate/lifestyle glossy edited by people like Nigel Mansell and Niki Lauda. Made F1 seem even more inaccessible than it already is, which is quite a feat. I bought the first two issues, which seemed to be entirely about Michael Schumacher and Jenson Button, then got bored of it.

Plus, there was an unashamedly funny fold-out one (was it fold-out?) in the late 90s. I think Jane Nottage was the editor. I can't remember much about it except it was tacky but fun, and made everyone seem much more human and less like walking Rolex commercials (see above).
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Reject F1 Magazines

Post by shinji »

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on which way you look at it, I was born in 1994 and thus think print media is gay.

Nevertheless, I do remember reading some Italian motorsport magazine from the '80s that my brother had - hilariously bad, and I hardly speak Italian. Can't really remember any details, sorry.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

I have every issue of Formula 1 Magazine. Liked the Rubython-era ones (ironically given fjackdaw, the density of the information was a large part of the attraction) but hated the Bernie-era ones that came out in 2003. They didn't so much make F1 look inaccessible as they made it look like a giant advert. Though for the first part of 2003 they did have a rejects section...

I also have every issue of Top F1. All one of them. Given that it had about the same print quality as a typical newspaper season preview and had not much more information in its 32 pages, charging £3.50 a copy was not perhaps the best strategy for ensuring plentiful sales and profits.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Alianora La Canta wrote:I have every issue of Formula 1 Magazine. Liked the Rubython-era ones (ironically given fjackdaw, the density of the information was a large part of the attraction) but hated the Bernie-era ones that came out in 2003. They didn't so much make F1 look inaccessible as they made it look like a giant advert. Though for the first part of 2003 they did have a rejects section...

I also have every issue of Top F1. All one of them. Given that it had about the same print quality as a typical newspaper season preview and had not much more information in its 32 pages, charging £3.50 a copy was not perhaps the best strategy for ensuring plentiful sales and profits.

Ah! Top F1, I remember now. I think I ended up buying three issues, probably the final three. I quite liked that one, though like you say, it was a bit lightweight for the price. It would have worked better teaming up as a freebie to go inside Formula 1 Magazine or F1 Racing or something.

There was certainly plenty to read in Formula 1 Magazine, and there were some good articles, but generally I found the tone a bit dry and 'industry'. It felt like the kind of thing I might have been reading whilst waiting in the reception of the FIA headquarters, rather than a fan mag.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Do particular issues count?

I got right back into Formula One after Shcumacher retired, and I started buying copies of F1 Racing every month. I had the odd copy lying around, the first being the Schumacher vs. Villeneuve issue in 1997. However, after abut five or six issues of 2007's run, I began to notice something: Lewis Hamilton was the cover story on every last one. The final straw was when he cover story of one of them was "A-Z of Lewis Hamilton" and proceeded to list various trivia related to him in the whole alphabet theme, like S being for his dislike of spiders. When I saw that that was their cover story, I knew the magazine had become a compelete Reject.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
dragonsteincole

Post by dragonsteincole »

Captain Hammer wrote:Do particular issues count?

I got right back into Formula One after Shcumacher retired, and I started buying copies of F1 Racing every month. I had the odd copy lying around, the first being the Schumacher vs. Villeneuve issue in 1997. However, after abut five or six issues of 2007's run, I began to notice something: Lewis Hamilton was the cover story on every last one. The final straw was when he cover story of one of them was "A-Z of Lewis Hamilton" and proceeded to list various trivia related to him in the whole alphabet theme, like S being for his dislike of spiders. When I saw that that was their cover story, I knew the magazine had become a compelete Reject.

My god, I remember that run of covers when I sorted out my shelves a week ago. 6 issues of him in various non-descript race driver poses. Its improved a lot since that unsettling period.

I will say they were very reject-worthy with one story in the past, because it got my hopes so high, and then they were dashes weeks later. It was when there was rumours of Mika Hakkinen returning to F1 with B.A.R, and had such an amazing photoshop of Mika in a BAR driver's suit that I was completely convinced it was real. A case of being too good for their own liking :p
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

shinji wrote:Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on which way you look at it, I was born in 1994 and thus think print media is gay.

Dude,that comment honestly offends me. I love me some internets (obviously), but print media is so much more fun to read, in my opinion.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a copy editor for the University of Oregon's daily paper)
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I used to love F1 News, and bought it regularly from about 1995 to 1997. I enjoyed the Eff One columns - they came back for a while on GrandPrix.com, but it never felt quite the same somehow. I used to dip into F1 Racing in the early days, and quite liked it. There was certainly a lot to it.

I still buy Autosport from time to time. That's about it.
rffp

Post by rffp »

In Brazil, we had the defunct Grid magazine that published issues after each F-1 race from 1987 to 1995, if I am not mistaken, when Brazilian motorsport thrived. The magazine thrived in 1989 and 1993-4, when they had a weekly issue, but since we are not die-hard fans of motorsport, the magazine died.
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

It was F1 News that turned me into an F1 anorak and bought every issue from the season preview in 1994 through to about the time the editor died. They used to have a double-page photo in the centre that I used to pull out and stick on the wall (very useful while you're at boarding school...). Didn't keep every edition so a couple of years ago, I found every edition in binders from 1992 to 1997 - for £10! I miss this magazine but reading Autosport now has broadened my horizons and enables me to follow progress of rejects in A1GP, SuperLeague Formula, Le Mans, etc.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

Not-so-interesting fact: it was an edition of a long-defunct magazine that helped light the spark of Enoch and my love of rejectdom.

The year was 1992. The magazine: Formula One International. (I think that's what it was called. Have I got that right, Enoch?) It contained a photo of the helmet of Perry McCarthy - a hitherto unknown design for us. It was something of a holy grail.

If you find time, could you perhaps scan the front cover of FOI, and perhaps even the page with the Perry article? Very fitting given our birthday today.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

thehemogoblin wrote:
shinji wrote:Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on which way you look at it, I was born in 1994 and thus think print media is gay.

Dude,that comment honestly offends me. I love me some internets (obviously), but print media is so much more fun to read, in my opinion.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a copy editor for the University of Oregon's daily paper)

Well, I do read the Irish Times, but after that most of my interests need to be catered for on the internet (F1isn't that high on the Times' agenda, sadly, and
F1 Racing is very poor now, I think).

Though I agree I like the feel of a broadsheet, if they are a little awkward. The general perception of print media around people I know though would be very negative, or 'gay', to use their colloquial term.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

dragonsteincole wrote:I will say they were very reject-worthy with one story in the past, because it got my hopes so high, and then they were dashes weeks later. It was when there was rumours of Mika Hakkinen returning to F1 with B.A.R, and had such an amazing photoshop of Mika in a BAR driver's suit that I was completely convinced it was real. A case of being too good for their own liking :p

That reminds me of the Italian magazine that ran a picture of Fernando Alonso's head photoshopped onto Kimi Raikkonen's body - he's wearing Kimi's watch and tattoo - and everyone thought it was real.

On the subject of Reject magazines, I'm going to expand it to Reject newspapers and nominate anything written in Spanish. There should be a burn notice on anything that comes out of Iberia, because chances are they're just made up "stories".
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
homerbhoy

Post by homerbhoy »

Does anyone think like me that there should be a F1 Reject Magazine so that all the true rejects can be talked about or is this a bad idea ??
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

It would be good if all the biographies on this site could be turned into a book and published. I for one would certainly buy it! :D
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

midgrid wrote:It would be good if all the biographies on this site could be turned into a book and published. I for one would certainly buy it! :D

We just need a wealthy Nigerian backer to put money through an account, and we can use the surplus to publish the book.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

dr-baker wrote:They used to have a double-page photo in the centre that I used to pull out and stick on the wall (very useful while you're at boarding school...)

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that! I had several of those posters on my wall as a teenager.

I never knew that the editor had died. That's a great shame. I remember the 1995 Australian Grand Prix review issue, where he was pictured on the editorial page proudly swigging a cup of coffee while sitting in Pedro Lamy's points-scoring Minardi.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Captain Hammer wrote:Do particular issues count?

I remember that too, and stopped for the same reason. The editor at the time (Matt Bishop) now works as PR head for McLaren...(Coincidence? I think not!)

I got an old F1 magazine from the start of 1996. All I know is that it was done by the BBC. I will try and hunt it out
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

I still have a subscription to F1 Racing in fact i used to have the f1 racing logo on my fantasy f1 car on GrandPrix2, i think it was where the barge boards are....
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Kuwashima wrote:Not-so-interesting fact: it was an edition of a long-defunct magazine that helped light the spark of Enoch and my love of rejectdom.

The year was 1992. The magazine: Formula One International. (I think that's what it was called. Have I got that right, Enoch?) It contained a photo of the helmet of Perry McCarthy - a hitherto unknown design for us. It was something of a holy grail.

If you find time, could you perhaps scan the front cover of FOI, and perhaps even the page with the Perry article? Very fitting given our birthday today.

If that's the same magazine that I'm thinking of, that's also the one that helped me get into F1 big time. Someone in my family must have bought me the issue covering the 1982 Long Beach GP and I loved it. So much stuff that I didn't know (or understand, it was quite an intellectual and techy read) and all the drivers that I'd never heard of like Slim Borgudd!!
I didn't even know it was still running into the 90s - for some reason it was very hard to find on the news stands. I had a few issues from the early-mid 80s, sadly no longer in my possession.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

shinji wrote:
midgrid wrote:It would be good if all the biographies on this site could be turned into a book and published. I for one would certainly buy it! :D

We just need a wealthy Nigerian backer to put money through an account, and we can use the surplus to publish the book.

Actually self-publishing is fairly easy these days, e.g. http://www.blurb.com.

I've already used Blurb to make several books showcasing (?) my dodgy attempts at photography (if anyone's remotely interested, try http://www.blurb.com/user/store/eytl).

Perhaps in time we could turn the F1 Rejects bios into a book, and you can all buy it from the Blurb bookstore. It would have to be picture-less though, for copyright reasons.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

eytl wrote:
shinji wrote:

Actually self-publishing is fairly easy these days, e.g. http://www.blurb.com.

I've already used Blurb to make several books showcasing (?) my dodgy attempts at photography (if anyone's remotely interested, try http://www.blurb.com/user/store/eytl).

Perhaps in time we could turn the F1 Rejects bios into a book, and you can all buy it from the Blurb bookstore. It would have to be picture-less though, for copyright reasons.

That'd be class!

Note: Stop putting yourself down! I'm sure your photos are great!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I'd love to see an F1Rejects magazine, even though it would be the same few people on the front cover. Webber, Badoer and HWNSNBM.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

redbulljack14 wrote:I'd love to see an F1Rejects magazine, even though it would be the same few people on the front cover. Webber, Badoer and HWNSNBM.

If I ever get bored, I might make that (in an online mag form of course, like GP2 Insider but MUCH better :D)
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

Ah! Top F1, I remember now. I think I ended up buying three issues, probably the final three. I quite liked that one, though like you say, it was a bit lightweight for the price. {fjackdaw - 21 posts ago}

There was more than one issue?!? They never seemed to make it into my local newsagent :(
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

kostas22 wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:I'd love to see an F1Rejects magazine, even though it would be the same few people on the front cover. Webber, Badoer and HWNSNBM.

If I ever get bored, I might make that (in an online mag form of course, like GP2 Insider but MUCH better :D)

I got bored. I made an epic front cover for it :lol:

Edit: and here it is, in all its glory, the front cover of Issue 1 of F1 Rejects Magazine! :D

Image Image
MaxZero

Post by MaxZero »

Not a mag per-se but put together by a professional agency and most definitely fitting the reject status in terms of what it was based around...

The Official Spyker e-zine
http://spykermagazine.projects.mediarepublic.com/magazine/flash/

I enjoyed it enough to read it after every race
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

kostas22 wrote:
kostas22 wrote:

Edit: and here it is, in all its glory, the front cover of Issue 1 of F1 Rejects Magazine! :D

Epic win. What's in Cowboy's speech bubble?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

It says "These 2009 FIA Regulations sure make the cars look worse than my hair-do!".

Image Image
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

kostas22 wrote:

Reminds me of the F1 News covers during its heyday. By the way, noone's mentioned its motto, which also pretty much sums up the F1 Rejects community: "Puts the Fun back into Formula 1." (Of course this got dropped for the Imola 1994 edition of the mag).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

kostas22 wrote:Edit: and here it is, in all its glory, the front cover of Issue 1 of F1 Rejects Magazine! :D

Getting any ideas here Jamie and Enoch. The one and only legend who drove for the two greatest teams in the history of F1. On the front cover, it should say, He was too good to drive for Brawn, Ferrari weren't worthy of his services. We bring you the legend himself. HWNSNBM.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I would so buy that.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

So would I.
MCard LOLA
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I have to take a picture, I have a mini-magazine that was a supplement to Racer magazine from Toyota's debut season I believe. An entire magazine devoted to Toyota F1
"Grosjean has a great desire to turn around and look at the corner he's just gone through, too many times per lap or per session, he's always spinning that Renault"
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

I had that magazine, I applied for one on the ITV F1 website as there were "1000 copies available". It documented the starting of Toyota, and was ludicrously impartial. I remember in a section about the 2000 CART season it declared its season as a "Great success", despite them having umpteen faliures and costing Montoya the title. Sadly though I think I threw it away when I carried out a scorched earth policy on my belongings in my bedroom...
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I think the cover was a ridiculously simplistic CFD diagram of the Toyota TF102

I googled it and couldn't find it, but interestingly, I DID find this;

"Grosjean has a great desire to turn around and look at the corner he's just gone through, too many times per lap or per session, he's always spinning that Renault"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

watka wrote:I would so buy that.

Wheest! Otherwise, the greedy side of my brain might start getting ideas...

Image Image