Only in a game.....

Archive for the three above subforums
Salamander

Re: Only in a game.....

Post by Salamander »

F106 has this curious little feature/bug where the AI cars will pit on the lap after it starts raining, no matter what. This is generally when grip starts becoming non-existant on the dry tyres, so it makes sense, but it has led to me winning in Turkey and finishing 4th in Germany with a Super Aguri because everyone pitted on the last lap.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

Waris wrote:
MinardiFan95 wrote:On F106 at Monaco, I spun the 1st placed car at the Loews Hairpin, which caused the track to be completely blocked. The computer opponents kept revving their engines until they blew up. The positions were based the order the cars blew up, which meant BOTH Super Aguris were on the podium behind me. The Toro Rossos, the Midlands and Klien's Red Bull rounded out the points positions

You wouldn't happen to have recorded a video of that would you??

Unfortunately I didnt record a video of it, but I have seen similar videos on Youtube.
This is a cool spot.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

In Formula 1 (1995) which was first PlayStation game of the series, I can remember that you could stop on a narrow place and everyone else would stop behind too except few drivers from the back could make it through. So you could see Pacific of Forti winning the race.
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

Bleu wrote:In Formula 1 (1995) which was first PlayStation game of the series, I can remember that you could stop on a narrow place and everyone else would stop behind too except few drivers from the back could make it through. So you could see Pacific of Forti winning the race.

I did something similar on F1 Career Challenge for PS2. I stopped in the middle of the road when Badoer was the only driver who hadn't pitted. He eventually won the race by about ten seconds.
This is a cool spot.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

on F106 my engine expired before the race even began! It was counting down, 5, 4, 3, 2, BOOOOOOOM!!!!
I don't understand that at all...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Waris wrote:
MinardiFan95 wrote:On F106 at Monaco, I spun the 1st placed car at the Loews Hairpin, which caused the track to be completely blocked. The computer opponents kept revving their engines until they blew up. The positions were based the order the cars blew up, which meant BOTH Super Aguris were on the podium behind me. The Toro Rossos, the Midlands and Klien's Red Bull rounded out the points positions

You wouldn't happen to have recorded a video of that would you??

Here's something like it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvSfPtD_w3o&feature=channel_page
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

kostas22 wrote:on F106 my engine expired before the race even began! It was counting down, 5, 4, 3, 2, BOOOOOOOM!!!!
I don't understand that at all...

I'm sure Martin Brundle will tell you that it can happen -see Silverstone 94!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Woah. That was a HUGE failure.
But then again, that was a Peugeot. Was bound to happen ;)

Image Image
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

Yesterday I started Career mode (hard difficulty) on F1 Championship Edition (which is basically F106 for the PS3). I started off as a test driver for SUPER AGURI. It was pretty easy to get a race seat when their expectations were: Expected Number of Successful Tests - 0. The email system in the game is wrong as well as it said Yuji Ide is a great driver :lol:
This is a cool spot.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

In a performance test for my GPM2 1992 Mod, Ivan Capelli won the Monaco GP... :lol:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Turning the 'Only in a game' thing on it's head, I was playing Grand Prix Challenge on the PS2 and at Indy Rubens and Schumacher had a dead heat (it's based on 2002). Coincidence? I think not.

Now, where could I find someone who worked on that game?
http://www.f1rejects.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=102

What a forum.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

shinji wrote:Turning the 'Only in a game' thing on it's head, I was playing Grand Prix Challenge on the PS2 and at Indy Rubens and Schumacher had a dead heat (it's based on 2002). Coincidence? I think not.

Same thing happened on F1 05 to me...except I was driving Barrichello's car lol.

Image Image
Bort

Post by Bort »

shinji wrote:Turning the 'Only in a game' thing on it's head, I was playing Grand Prix Challenge on the PS2 and at Indy Rubens and Schumacher had a dead heat (it's based on 2002). Coincidence? I think not.

Now, where could I find someone who worked on that game?
http://www.f1rejects.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=102

What a forum.

Hah that's me. :D

Oh wait... I mean :oops:
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

Speaking of Grand Prix Challenge, i found a way to let rejects such as Alex Yoong and Enrique Bernoldi win races. Set the damage to "AI only" and rear end the other drivers rear wheels at a slight angle. This will (obviously) cause the rear wheel to detach from the car. I was racing in Mark Webber's 2002 Minardi (the one in my avatar). By the end of the season Minardi were one-two in the points and i think Bernoldi, Sato and McNish were 3rd, 4th and 5th.
I remember seeing a top ten racing games for PS2 list a couple of years ago on IGN, an American gaming site. Grand Prix Challenge came in at number 7 and the best F1 game on the list. It was way better than Formula One 2002 which I bought because it came with a free DVD
Also, a question for Bort: Which part of the game did you work on?
This is a cool spot.
Winterspring

Post by Winterspring »

In F106, I always try to get in the Toyota and that I always go for the Midlands in the start of Career mode. Anyway I retired at Albert Park with an Engine failure and Yuji Ide got 4th but I remember one career mode championship when I was in the Midlands team when Ralf Schumacher won the championship by 5 points srsly.

Something I noticed in that game. In Career mode and count his other win in real life, Fisichella has won 4
2003 Brazil, 2005 Australia, 2005 Bahrain and 2006 Malaysia.
Bort

Post by Bort »

MinardiFan95 wrote:Also, a question for Bort: Which part of the game did you work on?

Back in those days I was a lowly QA tester,... which was great for me because it basically meant months and months of playing an F1 game.
Thunderer

Post by Thunderer »

Bleu wrote:In Formula 1 (1995) which was first PlayStation game of the series, I can remember that you could stop on a narrow place and everyone else would stop behind too except few drivers from the back could make it through. So you could see Pacific of Forti winning the race.

Brilliant game. So simplistic in it's form and can produce a few surprises. You could qualify any car/driver at the front and win by a long margin.

Except Deletraz. :D
I don't know what Deletraz is doing either...
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

I have been playing F1 06 for the PS2 recently. In one race in Hungary on career mode i started 19th but something happened with the AI as they all went into a very slow conga line before the first turn, except for me and (of all drivers) Ide! Result was that at the end of lap ! it was Midland, Ide, Schumacher...

It didnt last. After the pit stops, Ide ended up finishing 12th, and I finished 3rd

Another case of funny results was in the same game when Mark Webber won a race...
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Winterspring

Post by Winterspring »

Collieafc wrote:I have been playing F1 06 for the PS2 recently. In one race in Hungary on career mode i started 19th but something happened with the AI as they all went into a very slow conga line before the first turn, except for me and (of all drivers) Ide! Result was that at the end of lap ! it was Midland, Ide, Schumacher...

It didnt last. After the pit stops, Ide ended up finishing 12th, and I finished 3rd

Another case of funny results was in the same game when Mark Webber won a race...

Normally Trulli in my game getting positions and then fading. However I did I have season where both Schumacher, Alonso and Webber reached Brazil with a chance to claim to Championship. Alonso won it by 2 points from Ralf.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Grand Prix Manager 2 is frustrating as hell. In 50 entries (both cars counted, basically 25 GPs), managing Forti, my results have been:
1x 1st (Vincenzo Sospiri)
1x 2nd (Vincenzo Sospiri)
1x 17th (Vincenzo Sospiri)
44x DNF's (Vincenzo Sospiri/Luca Badoer/David Coulthard/Mika Salo)
3x DNQ's (All Luca Badoer)

Still, thats 16 points more than Forti ever managed in about the same time period!

Image Image
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

kostas22 wrote:Grand Prix Manager 2 is frustrating as hell. In 50 entries (both cars counted, basically 25 GPs), managing Forti, my results have been:

Still, thats 16 points more than Forti ever managed in about the same time period!

There's something wrong then. Don't use Driver Orders or the sliders at the bottom, and a glitch means your EMS has to be greater than or equal to your Driver Aids. Finally, remember to replace worn parts, especially if you don't watch races.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

shinji wrote:
kostas22 wrote:Grand Prix Manager 2 is frustrating as hell. In 50 entries (both cars counted, basically 25 GPs), managing Forti, my results have been:

There's something wrong then. Don't use Driver Orders or the sliders at the bottom, and a glitch means your EMS has to be greater than or equal to your Driver Aids. Finally, remember to replace worn parts, especially if you don't watch races.

Thats what I don't understand. Yes, for the first season (32 entries) I was using the sliders and orders too much, but thats also the season I scored 1st and 2nd places. This season, Coulthard and Moore (got the first post wrong lol) spin without orders, or have Unknown failures. At every race.
I started another campaign, as AtomGP (modified team Cassani) with the default drivers (but renamed to Karl Wendlinger and Allan Simonsen :P) and at every single race, both cars usually have Unknown failures. In that campaign, after 18 starts, I've had 15 DNFs and 3 DNQs. There has to be something wrong with my game.

So it must be the EMS glitch then. Need to go steal some technology from Ferrari :D

Edit: Just started playing again, and Moore had ANOTHER unknown failure in Silverstone Quali. His parts were brand new btw.
He just retired from the race, also reason Unknown. WTF is going on with this game???

Image Image
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

kostas22 wrote:
shinji wrote:

Thats what I don't understand. Yes, for the first season (32 entries) I was using the sliders and orders too much, but thats also the season I scored 1st and 2nd places. This season, Coulthard and Moore (got the first post wrong lol) spin without orders, or have Unknown failures. At every race.
I started another campaign, as AtomGP (modified team Cassani) with the default drivers (but renamed to Karl Wendlinger and Allan Simonsen :P) and at every single race, both cars usually have Unknown failures. In that campaign, after 18 starts, I've had 15 DNFs and 3 DNQs. There has to be something wrong with my game.

So it must be the EMS glitch then. Need to go steal some technology from Ferrari :D

Edit: Just started playing again, and Moore had ANOTHER unknown failure in Silverstone Quali. His parts were brand new btw.
He just retired from the race, also reason Unknown. WTF is going on with this game???

I don't really know why Unknown failures happen, funnily enough. Are you playing the original game? 'Cos I have never played that, I've only played the mods, and have never had any problems. good luck with it though, once you get passed the problems it's by far the best F1 management sim ever.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Are all F1 games on PS2 utterly shite?
I gave up on F1 03 after one go as it was unplayable, F1 04 is little better even on easy mode but I thought I'd have a go at career mode anyway. I haven't got a race seat so the AI is generating the races and in every one whoever starts in 20th (seemingly someone random and different every race) is always disqualified and the results are ludicrous, including a win for Bruni, and a Sauber 1-2 after they'd scored no points in any of the previous races! Truly dreadful.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

HELL YEAH! For the first time ever, BOTH cars finished! 4th for David Coulthard and 12th for C.Moore! In a Forti! Brilliant!

Image Image
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Barbazza wrote:Are all F1 games on PS2 utterly shite?
I gave up on F1 03 after one go as it was unplayable, F1 04 is little better even on easy mode but I thought I'd have a go at career mode anyway. I haven't got a race seat so the AI is generating the races and in every one whoever starts in 20th (seemingly someone random and different every race) is always disqualified and the results are ludicrous, including a win for Bruni, and a Sauber 1-2 after they'd scored no points in any of the previous races! Truly dreadful.

Short answer, yes. 04 was ok, except for a random bug where all the AI cars would slow down to an instant stop for no reason (they fixed it in the platinum version but by then it was too late) 05 was FAR to easy, and 06 is as buggy as hell (Several times when I have spun and ruined my car (eg destroy the rear wing) it slaps you with a 6 second penalty! Compared to when I overtook 3 cars under yellow flags and only got a 2 second penalty. :S) the difference between medium and hard is quite extreme too. Even Senna would struggle to do a race in the wet on this game without being last!

Compared to F1 97 on the PS1 which had the look and feel as if you were watching a race unfold befpre you on tv, or EA's F1 2000 where the AI was generally quite smart
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

kostas22 wrote:
shinji wrote:

I get stuff like that as well, it's pretty annoying. But then I just save often, so when something like that happens, I can just go back. Occasionally, the game has already predetermined that one of my drivers will crash/have a part fail at some specific moment, usually while they're doing well. At which point I go, "Nuts to this," and skip the rest of the race. My driver that is 'fated' to have an incident usually finishes approxamitely where he was, and if he doesn't, I re-load and try and get a more favourable result. Hey, if the game's going to pull crap like that on me, I'll do likewise.
Everything's great.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Collieafc wrote:Short answer, yes. 04 was ok, except for a random bug where all the AI cars would slow down to an instant stop for no reason (they fixed it in the platinum version but by then it was too late) 05 was FAR to easy, and 06 is as buggy as hell (Several times when I have spun and ruined my car (eg destroy the rear wing) it slaps you with a 6 second penalty! Compared to when I overtook 3 cars under yellow flags and only got a 2 second penalty. :S) the difference between medium and hard is quite extreme too. Even Senna would struggle to do a race in the wet on this game without being last!

Compared to F1 97 on the PS1 which had the look and feel as if you were watching a race unfold befpre you on tv, or EA's F1 2000 where the AI was generally quite smart

Hmmm...won't worry too much about F1 05 or 06 then (the latter in particular reaches silly prices second hand for some reason)

F1 97 is a brilliant game, and I've also got a soft spot for the original one just because of all the rejects in it!
Can't remember if I played F1 2000 or not - think I may have had it but sold it.
Sad that the PS1 games are generally better though....
Bort

Post by Bort »

Barbazza wrote:Are all F1 games on PS2 utterly shite?

You obviously never played Grand Prix Challenge. ;)
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Hi Hi! I finally figured out how to work Grand Prix Manager 2...1-2 finish for Forti at Monza! Gianni Morbidelli you genius!
Though my game in particular is a bit screwed up. In that same race, Thomas Kommass a.k.a. Érik Comas somewhoe qualified 3rd for Footwork and slowed everybody waaaaay down :lol:

Image Image
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Bort wrote:You obviously never played Grand Prix Challenge. ;)

Hee hee. No, I haven't!

If I see it then I might buy it and give it a go but I haven't found it 2nd hand just yet.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Barbazza wrote:

Hee hee. No, I haven't!

If I see it then I might buy it and give it a go but I haven't found it 2nd hand just yet.

It's well worth it, both for the great gameplay and the chance to play as Alex Yoong!
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

shinji wrote:
Barbazza wrote:

Hee hee. No, I haven't!

It's well worth it, both for the great gameplay and the chance to play as Alex Yoong!

i have grand prix challenge.... lol
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

After a few weeks of trying, I have finally managed to get a podium finish on GPM2. Running Minardi on the 1998 mod, Esteban Tuero somehow managed to finish 2nd at Monza despite running out of fuel on the last lap. In the next race at Spa, Shinji Nakano led for most of the race until an engine failure with only 10 laps to go forced him to retire from the race :( .
This is a cool spot.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Epic Qualifying session on the Original GPM2. For those who don't know, the drivers highlighted in green fell outside the 107% rule!

Edit: Oh no...
DonTirri wrote:"THIS CANT BE HAPPENING! SALO HAS RETIRED!"

Image Image
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

kostas22 wrote:Epic Qualifying session on the Original GPM2. For those who don't know, the drivers highlighted in green fell outside the 107% rule!

Edit: Oh no...
DonTirri wrote:"THIS CANT BE HAPPENING! SALO HAS RETIRED!"

:lol:

I'm not entirely certain that anybody here has played Wizard's Grand Prix 2, but anyway, I had probably the most dominant manager career ever. Started with the absolute worst team, didn't qualify for a race until halfway through the second season, and slowly climbed through the ranks until I won both the driver's and constructor's titles in 1998 (The game is based on the 1991 season), and then went on to win both titles 10 times, including the last 6 on the trot. My lead driver, who I decided to name Jeff Gordon for no particular reason, had absolutely insane stats as a result, 91 wins from 208 races, 1184 points, and 10 titles from 13 seasons. I was paying him over £13 million a year by the time I'd decided to quit, the highest salary I've seen in that game by quite some margin. Fittingly, my last season was in 2009. Here's a screenshot I took so I wouldn't forget my ridiculous dominance:

I would've called the team The Fighting Mongooses, but I didn't have enough room. Also, about the year number: The game runs off the system clock, so I started in 2009 instead of 1991.
Last edited by Salamander on 08 Dec 2010, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
Everything's great.
Bort

Post by Bort »

WeirdKerr wrote:i have grand prix challenge.... lol

I thank you for the income. (Assuming it isn't pirated) ;)
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Bort wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:i have grand prix challenge.... lol

I thank you for the income. (Assuming it isn't pirated) ;)

it was a pre-owned game....
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I done a half distance race at Spa on the 2008 GP4 Mod. Piquet finished 4th after qualifying 15th and Bourdais finished 5th. I was Heidfeld in the race so I wasn't racing as either of them.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

redbulljack14 wrote:I done a half distance race at Spa on the 2008 GP4 Mod. Piquet finished 4th after qualifying 15th and Bourdais finished 5th. I was Heidfeld in the race so I wasn't racing as either of them.

Bourdais nearly got a podium at Belgium '08 and Piquet got a legitimate 4th later in the year so not too unrealistic.