Maki team profile

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Maki team profile

Post by eytl »

Hi everyone,

To show we're serious about providing new content in lieu of race reviews this year, here's a new team profile: the Maki team from Japan:

http://www.f1rejects.com/teams/maki/index.html

My thanks to "Rocks with Salt" who submitted a draft profile for Maki last year, which prompted me to get to work on this profile. Although I haven't ended up adopting too much of his article, I have made use of much of his research as well as add in other anecdotes and information I found elsewhere.

It's an intriguing story of twenty-something Japanese engineers who took on the F1 world with an overweight but yet fragile car ... and lost. Badly. Hope you enjoy the read.

Cheers,
Enoch
dr-baker

Re: Maki team profile

Post by dr-baker »

Ah, now I see the inspiration for your change of profile picture, Enoch! A very informative read, as always - definitely stuff there that I did not know before!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Maki really were out of their depth weren't they! Great read, thanks Enoch
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

You wait ages for a new F1 Rejects profile, and then two excellent ones come along almost at once! Thanks to all involved. :D
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

Cool profile!

I'd read in other site I can't recall a profile about Maki, but this one surely has the best info and even the pics!

Kudos for the one who had the idea!
Bertrand Gachot, Pacific, Connew and Piercarlo Ghinzani's No.1 Fan

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Great to learn about their plight, I must admit I hadn't heard of them before. Thanks!
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
TomPryce

Post by TomPryce »

Hey, before the forum goes down I have a possible next piece to suggest...

How about Kojima Engineering? There's a story behind that, and is effectiely Maki's successor... good way to go?
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
mario

Post by mario »

A very interesting read indeed - and as TomPryce mentions, it would be interesting to link this in with an article on Kojima Engineering, given that they ultimately drew on the experiences of Maki to pen the KE007. It's a shame that such idealism proved to be so optimistic, but on the other hand given how poor some of the other cars were in the 1970's when it came to crash protection, the F102A must have been pretty dire if the other teams thought it was that unsafe to drive...

And as an aside, is it just me or are the slits in the sidepods somewhat reminiscent of the "shark gill" openings that cropped up on cars in the mid 2000's?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Great profile! Thanks for posting it!
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Absolutely brilliant reading. Thanks guys! :)
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

It's an interesting profile.
Beautiful reading. :-)
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Another great read! While it's a bit sad to see that we no longer have your unique commentary on current GPs (except for declaring the "official" ROTR), I'm very happy to see that the site has returned to its roots - detailing the drivers and teams who never succeeded that well in the championship. We've already had one driver and one team profile his year - which is huge considering that most of the profiles on the site are from 2000-04 (with some updates in 2006-07). For example, in 2008 we had only one new profile in Jo Vonlanthen, and IIRC the next new profile (not counting the update on Badoer) from that was Dave Walker in mid-2010!

So while we lost something, we also got some of the old F1 Rejects back - an incomparable, updating database of the drivers and teams that weren't so successful!

Of course, dibs to this forum from having members who are willing to help J&E to get these profiles done! In fact, I grew really fond of AGS when I made that GPM2 Mod about rejects, maybe I'll try to research more on them and submit my findings to Enoch...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Thank you very much for the Maki profile. I had not known about this constructor. But my parents and my uncle did mention to me the name of Hiroshi Fushida since they saw him on track at one of the GPs they went to in the 70s. And I must say he indeed is a character who is rather hard to find in the F1 stats. So thank you very much for showcasing his F1 career.
The other backmarker they keep mentioning from the 70s is Loris Kessel.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Great read; thanks to Enoch and Rocks With Salt for the profile. A Kojima profile would be interesting as they may be the only reject team to have taken fastest lap at a grand prix (albeit under very dubious circumstance).
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

What a great read. The team profiles were always my favourite bit of F1R - MOAR... MOAR!!!