French Grand Prix to return?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

French Grand Prix to return?

Post by Londoner »

There is to be an announcement made tomorrow morning at Paul Ricard, which could see the French Grand Prix return from 2013 onwards. It appears (for now) that the rumours that the French and Belgian GPs would alternate were just that, rumours...

And I thought that Paul Ricard no longer had grandstands, as it is a dedicated test track with those different types of run-off...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98451
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AndreaModa

Re: French Grand Prix to return?

Post by AndreaModa »

I hope it doesn't alternate with Spa, but with such a congested calender, I can't see many other options, particularly as New Jersey will be coming in then too, followed by Sochi in 2014. You then also have Argentina lining itself up for a race, as well as Mexico, but after that I don't think there is anywhere else that wants one. I suppose with the Spanish rounds alternating, and if they ditched Bahrain, that might make enough room.

Australia
Malaysia
China
Spain
Monaco
Canada
New Jersey
France
Britain
Germany
Hungary
Belgium
Italy
Singapore
Japan
South Korea
India
Abu Dhabi
United States
Brazil

Russia would make 21 rounds in 2014, so one would have to give way there, although if France and Belgium do alternate then that problem would be solved.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

East Londoner wrote:There is to be an announcement made tomorrow morning at Paul Ricard, which could see the French Grand Prix return from 2013 onwards. It appears (for now) that the rumours that the French and Belgian GPs would alternate were just that, rumours...

And I thought that Paul Ricard no longer had grandstands, as it is a dedicated test track with those different types of run-off...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98451

Wasn't Paul Ricard made into some sort of high-tech test track, with the possibility of simulating, for example, rainy conditions?

I think I said this earlier when the same topic was discussed, but I say it again: pre-scripted F1 races, here we come! :lol:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

AndreaModa wrote:I hope it doesn't alternate with Spa, but with such a congested calender, I can't see many other options, particularly as New Jersey will be coming in then too, followed by Sochi in 2014. You then also have Argentina lining itself up for a race, as well as Mexico, but after that I don't think there is anywhere else that wants one. I suppose with the Spanish rounds alternating, and if they ditched Bahrain, that might make enough room.

Something's just occurred to me. What if Austin and New Jersey alternated every year? I mean, it'd give Bernie one less logistical headache and it's a great contingency plan should the excrement hit the fan at either track.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Wizzie wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:I hope it doesn't alternate with Spa, but with such a congested calender, I can't see many other options, particularly as New Jersey will be coming in then too, followed by Sochi in 2014. You then also have Argentina lining itself up for a race, as well as Mexico, but after that I don't think there is anywhere else that wants one. I suppose with the Spanish rounds alternating, and if they ditched Bahrain, that might make enough room.

Something's just occurred to me. What if Austin and New Jersey alternated every year? I mean, it'd give Bernie one less logistical headache and it's a great contingency plan should the excrement hit the fan at either track.

Could do, but they can't host Austin in the summer, and I'd imagine they can't really host New Jersey around October/November time so the calender slot would be a headache. Plus the whole idea of having New Jersey was that the US would have two races because of the potential audience and the size of the country.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Wizzie wrote:

Not a bad point there Wizzie. I for one think New Jersey is going to be popular whilst Austin will flop. But we will have to wait and see.

As for Paul Ricard, it CAN indeed simulate wet-weather at any time. Although I doubt very much that would be allowed to happen during qualifying and the race, there will always be one or two teams moaning about that. Maybe they could have one of the practice sessions running in the wet should the teams need the data if real rain is forecasted throughout the weekend.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

What a coincidence, the season that 3 new young French drivers come into the sport we hear of this. Hmmm...

I only say that because my French teacher (French in that he teaches the language but also that he is from France) brought it up with me as he knows I'm an F1 fan; that he'd read about GRSJN and the lads. Obviously it's given F1 a bit of a boost in coverage over there, and there might be a questioning of why they don't have a race, which is a bit bizarre if you think about it.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

I'm not too excited by the prospect of the French Grand Prix returning to the calendar. It was a shame when it went, but I've not missed it too much, other than a general feeling that there should be a French Grand Prix. I don't particularly want to go without Spa either (though it seems that the crowds don't go there enough - but I'd rather drop Nurburgring/Hockenheim and make the Germans go to Belgium like it was 1914 all over) so that's not great. Would be great to see the modern F1 cars thundering along the Mistral straight though, especially when turbos return.

On the subject of the wider calendar I would happily see China, Korea (which I can never remember is even on the calendar), Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Valencia and Singapore go. Sepang I feel has matured well and become an established fixture on the calendar - though maybe they'd be better off not holding it at a time of year when they don't have to red flag the race because of torrential rain. India was okay and has earned more time. But China and Singapore are definitely here to stay, probably Abu Dhabi too.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Backmarker wrote:On the subject of the wider calendar I would happily see China, Korea (which I can never remember is even on the calendar), Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Valencia and Singapore go. Sepang I feel has matured well and become an established fixture on the calendar - though maybe they'd be better off not holding it at a time of year when they don't have to red flag the race because of torrential rain. India was okay and has earned more time. But China and Singapore are definitely here to stay, probably Abu Dhabi too.

Singapore would be so much better if the cars weren't so bulletproof to be honest. I mean, it's probably the harshest track we've got in terms of bumps and whatnot.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Paul Ricard is a track that, in terms of layout, should never have been dropped. It would be great to see one of the old guard return and if it knocks one of the newer Tilke tracks off the calendar then JACKPOT!
Just For One Day...
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I think it would be good to see one of the grand old F1 countries come back from the brink. With no drivers and no race they looked dead and gone a couple of years ago.
IceG

Post by IceG »

Isn't Paul Ricard owned by Ecc£e$tone?

I can just picture the negotiations now between the F1 rights holder and the circuit owner: "No, no, I want to pay you more" - "And that's guaranteed upfront payment for the next hundred years?" - "No, let's make that two hundred years" - etc.
VirtuaMcPolygon

Post by VirtuaMcPolygon »

I find it a shame it probably won't be at Pau. :cry:
mario

Post by mario »

IceG wrote:Isn't Paul Ricard owned by Ecc£e$tone?

I can just picture the negotiations now between the F1 rights holder and the circuit owner: "No, no, I want to pay you more" - "And that's guaranteed upfront payment for the next hundred years?" - "No, let's make that two hundred years" - etc.

The track was purchased by a company that Bernie owns, that is true, though I believe that for some time the track was technically in the ownership of his former wife (for tax purposes, as I understand it).

As Backmarker says, though, how much of the excitement is over the return of a traditional venue like France rather than the actual venues on offer themselves (truth be told, about the only really distinctive feature of the Paul Ricard track would be the Mistral straight - the rest of the track isn't really that distinctive if we are honest). And as others have pointed out, we might be getting the French GP at the expense of another circuit - probably Spa, which is expected to alternate with Paul Ricard - but maybe it'll come at the expense of another venue (possibly Suzuka - their contract expires at the end of this year IIRC and Honda is not in great financial shape at the moment).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Nuppiz wrote:I think I said this earlier when the same topic was discussed, but I say it again: pre-scripted F1 races, here we come! :lol:

It's what this forum has been saying all along!!!

VirtuaMcPolygon wrote:I find it a shame it probably won't be at Pau. :cry:

That would be epic, particularly if it were a double-bill on consecutive weekends with Monaco!

I still like the original idea a few years ago of a Disneyland GP in Paris. So that's a Monaco GP, Andorrean GP at Pau and a Disneyland GP (on a Mickey Mouse track, presumably?!). And the Paul Ricard track for the French GP?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

I have two words for you (or one hyphenated word): Clermont-Ferrand

Sadly, the great circuit of the 1960s and 70s is no more ...
nome66

Post by nome66 »

I'm thinking paul ricard. Hopefully on that layout that I designed. Or just the one they used back in the late 80's
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

I always found Paul Ricard to be a very average track, not particularly distinctive aside from the very long straight. I think this is why like Barcelona it is a popular testing venue. Much like Barcelona I don't think it will produce great racing which is why I don't see why anyone outside of France will be particularly thrilled to see the GP return, especially if it comes at the expense of a great circuit like Spa.

Should have it alternate with Barcelona or Valencia!
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

eytl wrote:I have two words for you (or one hyphenated word): Clermont-Ferrand

Sadly, the great circuit of the 1960s and 70s is no more ...

Actually, the road still exists, and the first and last corners are still used on the new circuit, so it would theoretically be possible to hold car racing on the long track. Not Formula 1, though, because of the lack of run-off areas.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
seleucid23

Post by seleucid23 »

So.....was there any announcement made? It was supposed to be today.
"He has sat on the fence so long that the iron has entered his soul."
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Wasn't. The French PM visited the curcuit today and apparently said that they were nearing a contract, but are still about 2 million $ apart. The French GP would be in Paul Ricard and would alternate with another venue (which one, they still don't know either),
mario

Post by mario »

P_Friesacher wrote:Wasn't. The French PM visited the curcuit today and apparently said that they were nearing a contract, but are still about 2 million $ apart. The French GP would be in Paul Ricard and would alternate with another venue (which one, they still don't know either),

So, not for the first time there has been a conspicuous mismatch between what has been promised and what has been delivered. I'm interested by the suggestion that there is no definite commitment to alternate with Spa, although it does seem to be the case that this is correct (it seems that FOM had already been in negotiations with representatives from FOM and the French government before the Belgians were brought into the discussions, so talks between FOM and the owners of Spa are lagging some way behind on an agreement to share the race).

As an aside, though, I wouldn't say that the deal is truly sealed just yet. The French national elections are only a handful of weeks away, with some suggesting that the current government has deliberately drawn out the negotiations until after the elections (in case spending public money on what many would construe as a frivolous event costs them votes). Sarkozy's current administration might be happy for an F1 race, but would a left wing candidate like Hollande - currently ahead in the polls - be happy to throw public money at organisations like FOM or CVC?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

P_Friesacher wrote:Wasn't. The French PM visited the curcuit today and apparently said that they were nearing a contract, but are still about 2 million $ apart. The French GP would be in Paul Ricard and would alternate with another venue (which one, they still don't know either),

2 million? Is that all they need to finalize everything? Shouldn't be a massive problem.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
James1978

Post by James1978 »

To be totally honest I actually quite liked Magny-Cours (done flame-proof jacket). :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

I would like to see France on the schedule,but where?I find Paul Ricard,Le Mans Bugatti and Magny-Cours too dull,Charade too unsafe,Pau too narrow,so where now? Linas-Monthlery?Not a bad idea,actually....
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

WaffleCat wrote:I would like to see France on the schedule,but where?I find Paul Ricard,Le Mans Bugatti and Magny-Cours too dull,Charade too unsafe,Pau too narrow,so where now? Linas-Monthlery?Not a bad idea,actually....

It's already been confirmed that it'll be at Paul Ricard.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
WaffleCat wrote:I would like to see France on the schedule,but where?I find Paul Ricard,Le Mans Bugatti and Magny-Cours too dull,Charade too unsafe,Pau too narrow,so where now? Linas-Monthlery?Not a bad idea,actually....

It's already been confirmed that it'll be at Paul Ricard.

Yeah, get with it ;)
Just For One Day...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

The French Grand Prix's got the go-ahead from Bernie.

The thing that really struck me though was the last paragraph

Asked when the agreement might be fully completed, Ecclestone replied: "before the result of the second round of presidential elections in France, if they wish. Whatever the outcome, I do not care. This is a domestic issue that does concern me."

Make your own conclusions
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

That's a typo. It should say "doesn't concern me" or "does not concern me" because otherwise the previous sentence doesn't make sense.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

According to Joe Saward (who does live in Paris and has a reasonable understanding of French politics), if Sarkozy loses, there's a chance that the French GP will go to Magny-Cours, not Paul Ricard, as Nevers is a Socialist region.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ed24 wrote:According to Joe Saward (who does live in Paris and has a reasonable understanding of French politics), if Sarkozy loses, there's a chance that the French GP will go to Magny-Cours, not Paul Ricard, as Nevers is a Socialist region.

Quick, VOTE SARKOZY!!! We can't have a return of Magny-Cours! Can we?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dr-baker wrote:
Ed24 wrote:According to Joe Saward (who does live in Paris and has a reasonable understanding of French politics), if Sarkozy loses, there's a chance that the French GP will go to Magny-Cours, not Paul Ricard, as Nevers is a Socialist region.

Quick, VOTE SARKOZY!!! We can't have a return of Magny-Cours! Can we?

I can see where Saward is coming from, and I've heard similar things mentioned elsewhere, but I find it highly unlikely they'll go there considering Bernie owns Paul Ricard, and the deal has always been about going there. By the looks of things, going by that Autosport article, they may even have the track layout finalised.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

IMHO , a perfect calendar would be (based on quality of racing, not money in Bernie's pocket) :

1)Australia - Albert Park or the Adelaide street circuit, both are/were good tracks and have produced good races
2) Malaysia - Although a Tilke designed track, it has produced good races, especiually when it rains
There would then be a 3 week gap for testing
3)Spain - Not sure where, just anywhere but Barcelona
4)Portugal - Estoril.
5)Monaco - Just has to be here
6)Canada - Producing good races consistently, especially in recent years
7)USA - Watkins Glen, a lovely scenic track in the north of the USA, fast flowing corners. F1 did well here when they used to come back in the late 70s and early 80s
8)Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez (Mexico City)
9)UK - Silverstone, the home of British motorsport
10)France - Paul Ricard, races at Magny-Cours tended to be boring, processional, and pitstop based
11)Germany - Hockenheimring and the Nurburgring alternating, I think this is one thing Bernie has got right recently
3 week break for testing
12)Europe - A different country every year holds the GP. (Just NO Valencia)
13)Imola - Apart from 1994, some good racing here
14)Belgium - Spa, wonderful Racing
15)Italy - Monza, wonderful racing
16)USA Grand Prix South - Austin, don't know how good the track is here yet
17) Japan - Suzuka, some great racing here in the past and present
18) Brazil - Interlagos, a good track, and weather can mix things up a bit here as well

A space for any of the new tracks (India, Korea, Russia, American Street Race) incase they turn out to be good venues too
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
nome66

Post by nome66 »

most likely case is that the designers of the paul ricard layout will use one of the chicanes. just felt like stating the obvious there.

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

I don't think Magny-Cours was that bad a track really, so I wouldn't mind going there again. DRS would certainly help.

I also don't think it really matters that Paul Ricard has finalised a layout, because obviously Magny-Cours has a track ready to go as well, and probably is even more ready with more spectator infrastructure.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

pasta_maldonado wrote:IMHO , a perfect calendar would be (based on quality of racing, not money in Bernie's pocket) :

1)Australia - Albert Park or the Adelaide street circuit.
- I agree, but don't think Adelaide is possible.
2) Malaysia - Although a Tilke designed track, it has produced good races, especiually when it rains.
- Sepang is cool.
3)Spain - Not sure where, just anywhere but Barcelona.
- Aside Barcelona there's only Valencia(proper) but i'm not sure it's suited to F1.
4)Portugal - Estoril.
- I disagree, this one i can live without.
5)Monaco - Just has to be here.
- Yup
6)Canada - Producing good races consistently, especially in recent years.
- Yup
7)USA - Watkins Glen, a lovely scenic track in the north of the USA, fast flowing corners. F1 did well here when they used to come back in the late 70s and early 80s.
- I don't like Watkins. Why not Elkhart, or Laguna. Or even Mid Ohio. There's loads of nice tracks in the US, no need to invent new crap ones. But F1 would probably "modify" the hell out of those so it's better they stay away. Would love to see F1 run the Michigan oval too.
- No dude! There would be death on the Peraltada and there are too many silly twists after the straight. There would be a boring train with only the straight for passing.
9)UK - Silverstone, the home of British motorsport.
- Meh, not what it was.
10)France - Paul Ricard, races at Magny-Cours tended to be boring, processional, and pitstop based.
- Either is fine with me.
11)Germany - Hockenheimring and the Nurburgring alternating, I think this is one thing Bernie has got right recently.
- As much as i miss the old Hockenheim, the new one is good. Nurburgring can go rot for all i care.
3 week break for testing
12)Europe - A different country every year holds the GP. (Just NO Valencia).
- Nah, europe gets plenty of tracks, let's see some action elsewhere.
13)Imola - Apart from 1994, some good racing here.
- Kinda meh
14)Belgium - Spa, wonderful Racing.
- Yup
15)Italy - Monza, wonderful racing.
- Yup
16)USA Grand Prix South - Austin, don't know how good the track is here yet.
- If the americans get two races chinese should get two as well. Zhuhai anyone?
17) Japan - Suzuka, some great racing here in the past and present.
- Yup
18) Brazil - Interlagos, a good track, and weather can mix things up a bit here as well.
- Yup.

You forgot to cram in Shanghai, Singapore and Istanbul. I liked those.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

USGP EAST:: baltimore! because i have an imagination, that's why

USGP WEST:: some sort of new Long Beach layout or just Laguna Seca.

USGP:: alternating between Indy and Road America.

Dan B

Post by Dan B »

If we were to have an ideal 17 race calender (and no more), this is what I would think:
1) Australia: Albert Park; as much as I think Adelaide is a great street circuit, Albert Park isn't bad either.
2) Malaysia: Probably only one of the few good Tilke tracks. Rain mixes things up.
3) China: The proper "1st Grand Prix" of the season considering the nature of Australia and Malaysia. Good way to see how the cars respond. Zhuhai also works.
4) Japan: Suzuka is probably the strongest circuit right now though there is Fuji as well. Autopolis is up to F1 standards too so there's a third option.
5) India: It's an interesting circuit, so why not?

(3 week break)

6) Great Britain: Silverstone isn't so bad.
7) France: Paul Ricard is a well established circuit though it'd be interesting to see what layout of the 6000 they choose.
8) Spain: Anywhere but Catalunya or Valencia please.
9) Belgium: Everyone loves Spa; should go without saying.
10) Italy: Monza produces good racing. Maybe alternate with Imola.

11) Canada: Goes without saying
12) USA: Unsure what Austin will bring; ditto with New Jersey. There are a tonne of other tracks though. Would love to see Road America or Sears Point but that will never happen.
13) Mexico: Hermanos Rodriguez might be a possibility though it would be quite dangerous. Surely there are other circuits there in Mexico? At best we could have a street circuit in Monterrey.
14) Brazil: Great circuit and rain does spice things up
15) Argentina: San Luis please!

(these can be added into the season if needed)
16) Russia: Wild card at the moment
17) Singapore: The first few races were slow but the racing has picked up lately. I think this is a great addition to the calender.

Tracks I really don't think are necessary:
Abu Dhabi: Boring
Bahrain: Boring (among other things)
Istanbul: I never really liked this circuit; dunno why but I never thought it was a strong one. I forgot they raced there last year actually.
Hungary: Boring
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sublime_FA11C wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:IMHO , a perfect calendar would be (based on quality of racing, not money in Bernie's pocket) :

1)Australia - Albert Park or the Adelaide street circuit.
- I agree, but don't think Adelaide is possible.
2) Malaysia - Although a Tilke designed track, it has produced good races, especiually when it rains.
- Sepang is cool.
3)Spain - Not sure where, just anywhere but Barcelona.
- Aside Barcelona there's only Valencia(proper) but i'm not sure it's suited to F1.
4)Portugal - Estoril.
- I disagree, this one i can live without.
5)Monaco - Just has to be here.
- Yup
6)Canada - Producing good races consistently, especially in recent years.
- Yup
7)USA - Watkins Glen, a lovely scenic track in the north of the USA, fast flowing corners. F1 did well here when they used to come back in the late 70s and early 80s.
- I don't like Watkins. Why not Elkhart, or Laguna. Or even Mid Ohio. There's loads of nice tracks in the US, no need to invent new crap ones. But F1 would probably "modify" the hell out of those so it's better they stay away. Would love to see F1 run the Michigan oval too.
- No dude! There would be death on the Peraltada and there are too many silly twists after the straight. There would be a boring train with only the straight for passing.
9)UK - Silverstone, the home of British motorsport.
- Meh, not what it was.
10)France - Paul Ricard, races at Magny-Cours tended to be boring, processional, and pitstop based.
- Either is fine with me.
11)Germany - Hockenheimring and the Nurburgring alternating, I think this is one thing Bernie has got right recently.
- As much as i miss the old Hockenheim, the new one is good. Nurburgring can go rot for all i care.
3 week break for testing
12)Europe - A different country every year holds the GP. (Just NO Valencia).
- Nah, europe gets plenty of tracks, let's see some action elsewhere.
13)Imola - Apart from 1994, some good racing here.
- Kinda meh
14)Belgium - Spa, wonderful Racing.
- Yup
15)Italy - Monza, wonderful racing.
- Yup
16)USA Grand Prix South - Austin, don't know how good the track is here yet.
- If the americans get two races chinese should get two as well. Zhuhai anyone?
17) Japan - Suzuka, some great racing here in the past and present.
- Yup
18) Brazil - Interlagos, a good track, and weather can mix things up a bit here as well.
- Yup.

You forgot to cram in Shanghai, Singapore and Istanbul. I liked those.

Laguna Seca and Elkhart lake would be good candidates for the USA GP. In fact i'd have Elkhart Lake for the venue, Laguna Seca is good but there would be a nasty accident at the corkscrew at some point. China could replace mexico(didn't really think that one through) and imola could be replaced by turkey, it was a good track and it escaped my mind earlier. The list was mot meant to be a finished article :lol:
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hermann Tilke tracks just get more and more boring.
Malaysia, and the new hockenheim are the exceptions in the f1 calendar this year (is china tilke) if bernie has his way the majority of the races will be on boring tracks in far flung places