If things were banned based on aesthetics...

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
James1978

Re: If things were banned based on aesthetics...

Post by James1978 »

dr-baker wrote: The Ferrari of 1994, however, was a work of beauty.

It was definitely beautiful at the start of the year, but by the end of it with chopped-off sidepods and the great big hole hacked out of the back of the airbox it looked totally ruined (the holes in the side of the airbox were OK but I think they were forced to change it a few races later). :(

Sorry!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

James1978 wrote:

It was definitely beautiful at the start of the year, but by the end of it with chopped-off sidepods and the great big hole hacked out of the back of the airbox it looked totally ruined (the holes in the side of the airbox were OK but I think they were forced to change it a few races later). :(

Sorry!

I find it easier to remember beauty than ugliness...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

dr-baker wrote:
James1978 wrote:

Sorry!

I find it easier to remember beauty than ugliness...

I think the 1990 Ferrari with Mansell driving it looked amazing. It was that long nose section and the bright red that done it for me.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

The 1995 Ferrari with Alesi in the cockpit is where its at!
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

East Londoner wrote:If I had my way, all the cars would either look like the Brawn BGP001, or from 1994-2000.

As long as not all cars have the same livery. The Brawn GP livery (despite that I usually hate white cars) was special because it was radically different.

AdrianSutil wrote:I think the 1990 Ferrari with Mansell driving it looked amazing. It was that long nose section and the bright red that done it for me.

I thought the cars from 1989-1990 looked suspiciously like an IndyCar would have... and until 2003 I thought IndyCars/Champ Cars looked better... even those horrendous IRL cars from 1997 looked pretty nice. Imagine F1 with those things... same engines too... :lol:
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

PAH! id forgotten about how ugly that renault was....
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

How have we managed to get through this much of the thread and not mention the gigantic, elephantine rear wings that sprouted from just about every car on the grid in 1984? The Ferrari 126C4 is a particularly nasty example:

...and it's not just the rear wing that's wrong, either, I'd dispute the sidepods and the front wing as well. Why is it, that every so often, Ferrari design a car that's an absolute gargoyle? Think also of the 312T4/5 (1979-80), the F1/88A (this clunker from 1988, which never saw the light of day in a race - fortunately), the high-nosed F310 (1996) - though the original low-nose version wasn't much better, and of course, the F2012...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dinizintheoven wrote:How have we managed to get through this much of the thread and not mention the gigantic, elephantine rear wings that sprouted from just about every car on the grid in 1984? The Ferrari 126C4 is a particularly nasty example:

...and it's not just the rear wing that's wrong, either, I'd dispute the sidepods and the front wing as well. Why is it, that every so often, Ferrari design a car that's an absolute gargoyle? Think also of the 312T4/5 (1979-80), the F1/88A (this clunker from 1988, which never saw the light of day in a race - fortunately), the high-nosed F310 (1996) - though the original low-nose version wasn't much better, and of course, the F2012...

At least it isn't this...2 rear wings.

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:At least it isn't this...2 rear wings.

Bloody hell, is that the modified Formula 2 car that Spirit used? It's ghastly! :shock:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Mike Wilds had the best facial hair of any F1 driver. You can't go wrong with the Jesus look.

My nomination is Toleman's decision to mount the radiators in the front wing (plus a bonus double rear wing!).
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

This:

Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wizzie wrote:This:

I am sorely tempted to go to Le Mans this year just to see this...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Oh my HWNSNBM! They've actually made a Deltawing? Will we expect to see these take flight down the Mulsanne Straight, or crawling through gravel traps, with a turning circle about the same of that of the London Underground's Circle line...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

East Londoner wrote:Oh my HWNSNBM! They've actually made a Deltawing? Will we expect to see these take flight down the Mulsanne Straight, or crawling through gravel traps, with a turning circle about the same of that of the London Underground's Circle line...

Although technically the Circle line doesn't go in a circle anymore now it's been extended to Hammersmith ;)

/transport geek
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
nome66

Post by nome66 »

dr-baker wrote:

I am sorely tempted to go to Le Mans this year just to see this...

the seats at Mulsanne corner will sell like hot cakes this year!
heheheh there is no wing for downforce, which is ironic lol sorry i had to
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Grooved Tires. I always thought they looked ugly on F1 cars.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DOSBoot wrote:Grooved Tires. I always thought they looked ugly on F1 cars.

True.
MCard LOLA
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

I'd like that car a lot if it was a single-seater, or at least looked more like the version they submitted to the IRL (which had an airplane-like shark fin).

For all the NASCAR fans here, I'd say the NASCAR Car of Tomorrow project, which turned the cars from looking pretty neat looking into the bricks on wheels that you see today. Not to mention those stupid shark fins on the left side of the car!

Also, for the NASCAR fans here, I'd like to ban Chip Ganassi Racing because the cars driven by Jamie McMurray (something tells me he might have been good in F1...) and Juan Pablo Montoya have horrendous liveries and need to be redesigned promptly.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

The impression I get is that the Duck noses are about to be banned based on aesthetics... :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Wizzie wrote:The impression I get is that the Duck noses are about to be banned based on aesthetics... :lol:

I hope they bring back the early 1990s style of low noses, with no gap between the nose and wing. Either that, or the design on the 1998 McLaren...
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Too dangerous in my opinion, so seconded. ;)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

I wonder if Nissan's drivers have a "you fully understand it's a mobile death trap/chicane" clause in their contracts :lol:
Hopefully they'll at least have a better livery by the time it reaches Le Mans, even if it only slightly reduces its unflattering appearance.
"If you don't like it, overtake or f**k off!"- Niki Lauda responding to complaints of his Brabham BT46 'fan car" throwing debris in drivers' faces.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

The thing is, is that if they put a stonking great wing on the back, it'd just look like an LMP1 with a narrow front end! It's not that revolutionary at all really.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

I never really liked the shark fin/F-duct covers. Ruined the appearence of what an F1 car is supposed to look like
Say your prayers, here comes the Pastor
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

ibsey wrote:EJ shirts along with Alain Prost's nose :lol:

You forgot Chandhok's eyebrow. :-)
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

stupot94 wrote:I never really liked the shark fin/F-duct covers. Ruined the appearence of what an F1 car is supposed to look like

I wonder if there was anyone who said something similar when the overhead airboxes started to sprout again in 1987?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:

On that note, perhaps Liuzzi's wild hairstyles should be included as well :lol:
"If you don't like it, overtake or f**k off!"- Niki Lauda responding to complaints of his Brabham BT46 'fan car" throwing debris in drivers' faces.
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

dinizintheoven wrote:
stupot94 wrote:I never really liked the shark fin/F-duct covers. Ruined the appearence of what an F1 car is supposed to look like

I wonder if there was anyone who said something similar when the overhead airboxes started to sprout again in 1987?

Probably. There are always those who are resistant to changes in the status quo.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tzerof1 wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:

Probably. There are always those who are resistant to changes in the status quo.

That is true. I still think F1 cars should look look like how they did in the 1992-1994 period (when I first got into F1). Low-slung, sleek, elegant, with some beautiful liveries - Canon and Rothman Williams, Ferrari, MTV Simtek, Marlboro McLaren, etc.
MCard LOLA
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

dr-baker wrote:I still think F1 cars should look look like how they did in the 1992-1994 period (when I first got into F1). Low-slung, sleek, elegant, with some beautiful liveries - Canon and Rothman Williams, Ferrari, MTV Simtek, Marlboro McLaren, etc.

For sure. Now that I get to thinking about it, there wasn't a single car on the 1994 grid that you could walk up to and call it ugly outright. Except maybe the Larousse when it was running the Kronenbourg livery... :lol:
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

dr-baker wrote:That is true. I still think F1 cars should look look like how they did in the 1992-1994 period (when I first got into F1). Low-slung, sleek, elegant, with some beautiful liveries - Canon and Rothman Williams, Ferrari, MTV Simtek, Marlboro McLaren, etc.

Speaking of Rothmans liveries, anyone else noticed the very Rothmans-esque detail on the current Williams' engine cover?
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Even the Pacific livery look decent. Not often something with a lot of grey can be called 'decent'.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Nuppiz wrote:
dr-baker wrote:That is true. I still think F1 cars should look look like how they did in the 1992-1994 period (when I first got into F1). Low-slung, sleek, elegant, with some beautiful liveries - Canon and Rothman Williams, Ferrari, MTV Simtek, Marlboro McLaren, etc.

Speaking of Rothmans liveries, anyone else noticed the very Rothmans-esque detail on the current Williams' engine cover?

Even last year's Williams were slightly reminscient of that, weren't they?
MCard LOLA
Walsh_e

Post by Walsh_e »

I'd of banned this just for the rear wing

Then again most cars in '83 could have been banned based on aesthetics!

In 1997 I'd of banned any car that wasn't this:
I'm proud to live in the best hemisphere, the British hemisphere!

"So it was Lauda Vs de Cesaris, de Cesaris had the advantage of youth, Lauda had the advantage of experience, some said he had the advantage of brains" - Clive James
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

Walsh_e wrote:Then again most cars in '83 could have been banned based on aesthetics!

In 1997 I'd of banned any car that wasn't this:

Very true. As for your 1997 suggestion, that would have evened up MasterCard Lola's odds quite a bit! Providing it could make a full race distance :lol:
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

dinizintheoven wrote:

Simliarily anyone mentioned the airboxes of the mid 1970’s?

The 1976 Ligier was a personal highlight. Here's a picture;

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=1976+l ... 29,r:1,s:0

That was obviously designed by someone who had taken more than their fair share of acid.

Also when front & rear wings together with the big stalks were 1st introduced to F1 cars in the late 1960’s early 1970’s, how awful did they look?

ibsey

Post by ibsey »

…& Bernie Eccestone’s face.

How a man who looks as he does, had a daughter who looks as Tamara does is beyond me?

Unless of course the milkman got friendly with the mother when Bernie was at work ;)

stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

How about the strange Monaco wings that sprouted on the Jordan and Arrows at the 2001 Monaco Grand Prix. Dont like the Jordans, however the Arrows wing is alright :)
Say your prayers, here comes the Pastor
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

ibsey wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:

Simliarily anyone mentioned the airboxes of the mid 1970’s?

The 1976 Ligier was a personal highlight. Here's a picture;

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=1976+l ... 29,r:1,s:0

That was obviously designed by someone who had taken more than their fair share of acid.

Also when front & rear wings together with the big stalks were 1st introduced to F1 cars in the late 1960’s early 1970’s, how awful did they look?

That is one trippy looking airbox. Although I do have to say the Ligier one was at least somewhat sleeker looking than many of the other ones. And for the record the car was designed by Gerard Ducarouge and Michael Beaujon. Whether they imbibed in the use of drugs is not known, but it was the 70's so anything could be possible :lol:
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

ibsey wrote:

…& Bernie Eccestone’s face.

How a man who looks as he does, had a daughter who looks as Tamara does is beyond me?

Unless of course the milkman got friendly with the mother when Bernie was at work ;)

Whatever the true reason is, let's hope it's nowhere near as scandalous as ANTSMSW5PG ;)