2010 Engine Market

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

2010 Engine Market

Post by tristan1117 »

With Red Bull, Williams and a lot of other teams looking for engines, I decided to start this thread.

So Far:
Brawn-Mercedes
Ferrari
Renault
Qadbak-Ferrari http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78822
and the 4 new teams using Cosworths (USF1, Campos, Manor, Lotus)
Force India-Mercedes?
Mclaren-Mercedes
Toyota
(confirmed)
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Chewie

Re: 2010 Engine Market

Post by Chewie »

I suspect that Lotus will get Toyota power, especially seeing as Toyota engines are in the Elise, Exige, Europa and Evora road cars.
How ironic; Alonso loses because the Renault in front of him doesn't crash, or indeed feel inclined to pull over and let him pass!!!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Chewie wrote:I suspect that Lotus will get Toyota power, especially seeing as Toyota engines are in the Elise, Exige, Europa and Evora road cars.

Remember that this Lotus has nothing to do with that Lotus.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Chewie

Post by Chewie »

shinji wrote:
Chewie wrote:I suspect that Lotus will get Toyota power, especially seeing as Toyota engines are in the Elise, Exige, Europa and Evora road cars.

Remember that this Lotus has nothing to do with that Lotus.

that could get confusing
How ironic; Alonso loses because the Renault in front of him doesn't crash, or indeed feel inclined to pull over and let him pass!!!
Mister Fungus

Post by Mister Fungus »

shinji wrote:Remember that this Lotus has nothing to do with that Lotus.

Yes they do, Proton owns Lotus.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

They'll use Cosworth like everyone else.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

They have to use Cosworth. Its in their contract with the FIA probably.
And its not a works Lotus team. Its not run out of their factory, its just loosely connected, becuase the parent company has a stake in it and has let the team have naming rights.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Chewie

Post by Chewie »

watka wrote:They'll use Cosworth like everyone else.

To start with, yes i'd agree. But that would be like Renault racing with Citroen engines; doesn't make sense for the parent company.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

kostas22 wrote:And its not a works Lotus team. Its not run out of their factory

Surely there isn't a team in F1 that's run out of a road car factory anyway? Even the original Lotus was down the road at Ketteringham Hall.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

McLaren has its F1 and Automotive divisions in the same factory...

Image Image
Ulfuls

Post by Ulfuls »

Well, with money disappearing from Renault F1 faster than Simon Gillett after next Saturday, I suddenly have a feeling that even if they manage to finish this season, they may not make it to Bahrain next March. So the question becomes, does Renault continue as an engine supplier? And if not...

Mercedes: Brawn, McLaren, Force India. If they do supply a fourth team it is unlikely to be Red Bull. Williams maybe?

Ferrari: Ferrari, Toro Rosso, Sauber. Perhaps _they_ could supply Red Bull as a fourth team?

Toyota: Toyota, possibly Williams -- presumably a Toyota would be better than a Cosworth. USF1 possibly, if the NASCAR good ol boys ever get their car together. Or maybe the Red Bulls end up here.

Which leaves

Cosworth: Manor, Campos and Lotus definitely, USF1 if (a) they can't extricate themselves, and (b) assuming they make it to next March. But I think Red Bull will end up being the losers here, and be running Cosworth power next season.

....of course, if Renault continues as an engine supplier then presumably Williams and Red Bull will end up there.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Chewie wrote:But that would be like Renault racing with Citroen engines; doesn't make sense for the parent company.

Renault racing with Citroen engines would be like Ford racing with Chevrolet engines: never going to happen, because they hate each other.
I believe Renault are actually the parent company of Nissan, rather than just being a joint partnership. The PSA Group are made up of Citroen and Peugeot.

But yeah, if Renault were to continue in F1, they could concieveably switch to Nissan. Infact, as long as they beat Toyota, which shouldn't be that hard to do considering their reputation for complete and utter mediocrity, it could do them a lot of good for the road division. Remeber when Subaru's were only bought by farmers? If Nissan can kick the crap out of the biggest car manufacturer in the world, it would help their reputation no end.

Image Image
Pacifics only fan

Post by Pacifics only fan »

Renault should just stay as an engine supplier, it's where they excel.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Pacifics only fan wrote:Renault should just stay as an engine supplier, it's where they excel.

Tell that to Patrick Head, I'm sure he will tell you how delightful Supertec engines really are.
Ditto Christian Horner, etc etc.

Image Image
Waris

Post by Waris »

Ulfuls wrote:Well, with money disappearing from Renault F1 faster than Simon Gillett after next Saturday, I suddenly have a feeling that even if they manage to finish this season, they may not make it to Bahrain next March. So the question becomes, does Renault continue as an engine supplier? And if not...

Mercedes: Brawn, McLaren, Force India. If they do supply a fourth team it is unlikely to be Red Bull. Williams maybe?

Ferrari: Ferrari, Toro Rosso, Sauber. Perhaps _they_ could supply Red Bull as a fourth team?

Toyota: Toyota, possibly Williams -- presumably a Toyota would be better than a Cosworth. USF1 possibly, if the NASCAR good ol boys ever get their car together. Or maybe the Red Bulls end up here.

Which leaves

Cosworth: Manor, Campos and Lotus definitely, USF1 if (a) they can't extricate themselves, and (b) assuming they make it to next March. But I think Red Bull will end up being the losers here, and be running Cosworth power next season.

....of course, if Renault continues as an engine supplier then presumably Williams and Red Bull will end up there.

Only three engine suppliers?! That's a very dark prospect!

kostas22 wrote:McLaren has its F1 and Automotive divisions in the same factory...

That doesn't count, because they were an F1 constructor before they became a car maker.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

kostas22 wrote:
Pacifics only fan wrote:Renault should just stay as an engine supplier, it's where they excel.

Tell that to Patrick Head, I'm sure he will tell you how delightful Supertec engines really are.
Ditto Christian Horner, etc etc.

'99 Supertecs were updates of the '98 engines built by Mecachrome that were based on the '97 Renault unit. In the same period, Ferrari & Mercedes etc. etc. had two years of full factory development, don't think you can blame Renault for the Supertecs being a relatively weak.

Nitpicking for the win!!!!
jonnyeol

Post by jonnyeol »

Yep, Supertecs came close to winning Grand Prix in 1999, when they were effectively 2 years old, and were still good for middle-points scoring positions come 2000 in the backs of Benettons and Arrows. So it was a decent basic unit. Indeed, Renaults engine block in 2004 was derived from the 1999 Supertec after they dumped the wide-angle concept, so Renault were obviously doing something right all along.
Zsolt Baumgartner. There - I Said It.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Summary:

Brawn - Mercedes
Red Bull - Mercedes
Ferrari (obviously)
McLaren - Mercedes
Williams - Cosworth or Renault
Renault (obviously)
Toyota (obviously too)
Force 1ndia - Mercedes
Scuderia Toro Rosso - Ferrari
USF1 - Cosworth
Campos / Dallara - Cosworth
Manor / Wirth - Cosworth
Lotus / Proton / Litespeed - Toyota or Cosworth
Qadbak / Sauber - Ferrari

That's a good field of starters, and most of all - a full field.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Chewie wrote:
watka wrote:They'll use Cosworth like everyone else.

To start with, yes i'd agree. But that would be like Renault racing with Citroen engines; doesn't make sense for the parent company.

You seem to be forgetting that the original Lotus team won 5 titles with the Cosworth engine.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79301
Williams announcment imminent
Looks like Renault and Cosworth are the main choices unless some random manufacturer pops up out of nowhere
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

No one wanted any dealing with Renault until is was clear what the decision of the WMSC was going to be, and some time passed. That well seems to have dried up. It's going to be Kubica tomorrow, Williams soon.

Or Renault is preparing to walk out, and all hell will break loose.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Here's one from the very far left of the field: McLaren-BMW. Or rather, just McLaren. Rumors have it they are interested in buying their engine-manufacturing arm, but have denied it completely.
So expect an announcement about it next week.

Image Image
Ulfuls

Post by Ulfuls »

kostas22 wrote:Here's one from the very far left of the field: McLaren-BMW. Or rather, just McLaren. Rumors have it they are interested in buying their engine-manufacturing arm, but have denied it completely.

Makes sense given McLaren's ambitions to be a Ferrari-esque global brand and manufacturer of its own engine for its own supercar (hence the rift with Mercedes). Funny though, that they'd be trading Mercedes engines from Brixworth for McLaren engines from Munich.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Ulfuls wrote:
kostas22 wrote:Here's one from the very far left of the field: McLaren-BMW. Or rather, just McLaren. Rumors have it they are interested in buying their engine-manufacturing arm, but have denied it completely.

Makes sense given McLaren's ambitions to be a Ferrari-esque global brand and manufacturer of its own engine for its own supercar (hence the rift with Mercedes). Funny though, that they'd be trading Mercedes engines from Brixworth for McLaren engines from Munich.

The Mclaren F1 Supercar from the mid 90s has BMW power.....
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

WeirdKerr wrote:
Ulfuls wrote:

The Mclaren F1 Supercar from the mid 90s has BMW power.....

The new one has McPower. Let's not jump into conclusions, Mercedes still owns half of McLaren.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

It certainly does make sense, but the timing's wrong. I'm not sure McLaren are quite so keen to start burning bridges with Mercedes.

Yet.
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Jordan192 wrote:

It certainly does make sense, but the timing's wrong. I'm not sure McLaren are quite so keen to start burning bridges with Mercedes.

Yet.

But the opposite may apply. There a bit agitated at McLaren for building the MP4-12C and releasing it at the same time as the SLS AMG. Buying shares in Brawn was clearly a sign of intent.

Image Image
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

kostas22 wrote:But the opposite may apply. There a bit agitated at McLaren for building the MP4-12C and releasing it at the same time as the SLS AMG. Buying shares in Brawn was clearly a sign of intent.

The relationship's certainly strained, and I defintely that agree that McLaren would be making plans to bring engines in-house should the need arise (as opposed to finding another supplier). Right now, though, both sides have too much to lose - the main priority must surely be to keep their powder dry and not commit themsleves irreversibly down one particular path.

If McLaren buy an F1 engine programme right now, an almighty shitstorm would kick off. Equally, while Merc may not be happy over McLaren competing with them, Brawn still represent a substantial gamble if they're going to become the #1 works team.
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Jordan192 wrote:Equally, while Merc may not be happy over McLaren competing with them, Brawn still represent a substantial gamble if they're going to become the #1 works team.

McLaren were a gamble in 1995, they'd just come off one of the worst seasons they'd had since the early 80s with those Peugeot shitbox motors.

Image Image
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Current rumours in the German language press are that RBR appear to not be getting the Mercedes engines they are craving for and that they are considering Cosworth as an alternative to Renault, because the Cosworth engine will be a re-homologated / updated one, whereas the Renault will be just the same.

Williams is in a similar situation regarding Renault and / or Cosworth. It surely would be very beneficial to Cosworth if they had their power plants running in the back of the cars of two established teams instead of just 4 rookie teams.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Python

Post by Python »

I was surprised that Williams went with Cosworths engines for next year, since the last time they had Cosworth engines Williams didn't do so well.
Best quote ever
watka wrote:There's only one fair way to settle this: a duel to first blood, using canes, and each of you must be wearing a top hat, waistcoat, and ascot tie.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

I think they're gambling that the FIA is going to let the Cosworth be the best engine next year.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

I can't find a mention of any Williams-Cosworth deal on any veritable news sites (autosport).
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

From what I can tell, there only remaining options are Ferrari and Cosworth. Mercedes rejected them, talks with Renault appear to have come to and end with no success, and of course they are ditching Toyota, which leaves them most likely with Cosworth engines.

Image Image
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

kostas22 wrote:From what I can tell, there only remaining options are Ferrari and Cosworth. Mercedes rejected them, talks with Renault appear to have come to and end with no success, and of course they are ditching Toyota, which leaves them most likely with Cosworth engines.

Plus the fact that Williams would probably take a Life W12 over giving into Ferrari.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

Right now as it stands, following are confirmed
Mercedes engines- Mclaren, Force India, Brawn GP
Mercedes has made it clear they can supply 4 teams. So they will add 1 team to that list
Ferrari engines- Ferrari, Qadbak, Toro Rosso
Renault engines- Renault
Toyota engines- Toyota
Cosworth engines- Manor, Campos, USF1.

Red Bull are looking for Mercedes engines. But may end up with Renault, if deal does not take place.
Lotus- have kept all options open. So Ferrari, Renault, Toyota, Cosworth engines can all end up there.
Williams are looking to Mercedes and Renault. They dont want Toyota because they will either have to keep Nakajima or take Kobayashi with those engines.
Plus Williams want to run their flywheel KERS next year. So Renault or Mercedes may not accept that and may be left with Cosworth engines.

Cosworth V8 engines were designed for 2006 Williams, so they should be families. Earlier it was thought that their engines will be heavy less reliable compared to modern engines and will be less fuel efficient but its now believed that those engines can rev 20000- 22000 so when 18000, they may turn more reliable and more fuel efficient. But no one know till testing starts.
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
Chewie

Post by Chewie »

I still think that a Lotus/Toyota package will happen; just like the road going Lotus cars which all have Toyota engines.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

shinji wrote:I can't find a mention of any Williams-Cosworth deal on any veritable news sites (autosport).

Only the Brazilian television network, Globo is reporting it; the handful of other sources - a Dutch website, the Herald Sun and Sky Sports News - are basing their reports off the Globo one. The official annoucement that Barrichello is going to Williams - if he's going to Williams; one of his people is denying it - won't come until after the championship has been settled.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

And the rumour became fact:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79418
So... Renault or Cosworth?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

And the rumour became fact:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79418
So... Renault or Cosworth?