2012 Silly Season

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
jpm

Re: 2012 Silly Season

Post by jpm »

Autosport on it too.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96553

Gutted for JDA. I mean, surely it won't do them any harm to sign someone whos not a rookie - that way they dont have to go back to square 1 on their second car every year and focus on getting a new guy used to F1. They're essentially halving the amound of good feedback they can get. Sad - I hope JDA can be on the Renault shortlist. JDA and Grosjean for Team Lotus next year!

Pesky Petrov spoiling my plans :evil:
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

I'm afraid that Manor/Virgin/Marussia will once again waste another rookie's racing career.
Unless D'Ambrosio will prove us wrong and get signed in F1 for 2012 which is... unlikely.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Pointrox wrote:I'm afraid that Manor/Virgin/Marussia will once again waste another rookie's racing career.
Unless D'Ambrosio will find employment somewhere for 2012 which is... unlikely.

Does that mean I can remove the d'Ambrosio bit from my sig?

Congrats to Pic on becoming the first French F1 driver since 2008... and for becoming the driver with the shortest surname in F1 :?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

I don't think D'Ambrosio will get a race seat, but I hope he'll get a Hulkenberg-like test year at one of the teams.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Pointrox wrote:I'm afraid that Manor/Virgin/Marussia will once again waste another rookie's racing career.
Unless D'Ambrosio will prove us wrong and get signed in F1 for 2012 which is... unlikely.

Or Di Grassi proves us wrong and goes to HRT. I heard his name connected to them a few days ago but I can't remember who from and why...and lets be honest, if you have money then you have a shot at the HRT seat. Anyone with an FIA Superlicense and $15 Million to spend is basically guaranteed a seat there.

Which begs the question...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
jpm

Post by jpm »

I've heard that di Grassi is probably going to join the Peugeot LMP1 sportscar programe, for whom he has tested repeatedly. I doubt he'll want a second bite at the cherry with another no hope team.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Feel sorry for D'Ambrosio. Apart from his Hungary madness, he's proven to be a more than capable driver. He's had the beating of Glock at several races so it's a shame to see Virgin go for a rookie again. Won't help their development, no matter how 'talented' Pic is.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AdrianSutil wrote:Feel sorry for D'Ambrosio. Apart from his Hungary madness, he's proven to be a more than capable driver. He's had the beating of Glock at several races so it's a shame to see Virgin go for a rookie again. Won't help their development, no matter how 'talented' Pic is.

I still think D'Ambrosio matching and beating Glock at some races has more to do with Timo's lack of motivation. Being saddled with THAT can't do wonders for your state of mind.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
jpm

Post by jpm »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96560

Ricciardo being considered at Caterham
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

kostas22 wrote:Which begs the question...

They should do, just to open up an interesting experiment.

Fireking and Christophe Hurni driving Red Bulls, and Sebastian Vettel driving a Virgin or an HRT, setting qualifying laps. Who would come out on top?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
mario

Post by mario »

DanielPT wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:Feel sorry for D'Ambrosio. Apart from his Hungary madness, he's proven to be a more than capable driver. He's had the beating of Glock at several races so it's a shame to see Virgin go for a rookie again. Won't help their development, no matter how 'talented' Pic is.

I still think D'Ambrosio matching and beating Glock at some races has more to do with Timo's lack of motivation. Being saddled with THAT can't do wonders for your state of mind.

That is probably true, given Glock's slightly cross words with the team over the radio earlier in the season - still, although D'Ambrosio did have a go in Hungary for the oddest accident of the season, at least he didn't crash during a warm up lap in the way that Di Grassi did last year...

jpm wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96560

Whilst it's not entirely surprising that they might consider replacing Trulli (he's had a few decent races this season but Heikki has, by far and away, been the one taking the fight to the midfield whereas Trulli has languished some way behind), what is interesting is that it is Ricciardo who is being put forwards as a candidate. Presumably, Red Bull will be offering a discount on their KERS and gearbox package, or possibly newer specification parts, in return for giving Ricciardo a seat - which suggests that either Red Bull are hoping to find Ricciardo a seat on the cheap, or that HRT are thinking of signing an alternative pay driver to replace Ricciardo (assuming that De La Rosa might well be replacing Liuzzi as the "veteran driver" within the team).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

jpm wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96560

That is an interesting piece of news. So, they may decide to keep both of their current drivers and place Vergne on FP probation while at the same time maintain Ricciardo racing another year elsewhere. If Webber retires in 2012 that also makes Ricciardo a possibility for the that seat. If Ricciardo proves his worthy against Heikki it is a very possible that it is him to take the seat although unfair to either Buemi or Dj Squire. Also, it is possible that they found out that Vergne and Ricciardo are not much better than both of they current drivers? It is because once upon a time Toro Rosso ousted their drivers at the slight hint that someone better was waiting in the shadow...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Anyone who's on Twitter should apparently keep checking this evening, according to James Allen, there should be some news on Raikkonen soon!

If anyone is remotely interested in my occasional musings, you could also follow me! :D
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AndreaModa wrote:Anyone who's on Twitter should apparently keep checking this evening, according to James Allen, there should be some news on Raikkonen soon!

If anyone is remotely interested in my occasional musings, you could also follow me! :D

Humm... Let's see if James Allen sources are any good...
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Peter Windsor made a similar tweet yesterday...
https://twitter.com/#!/PeterDWindsor/status/141144277433581569

I wonder if Kimi still has any money from Qatar with him, or if that was only attached to the potential Williams deal.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

At least we know who one of the contenders for Reject of the Year will be...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
mario

Post by mario »

Well, we've just got our answer on where Kimi is going, and it's come from a slightly surprising direction - Kimi has signed a two year deal with Renault, which is a big surprise given that Grosjean was widely tipped to be getting the seat currently held by Bruno. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96573
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Well that was...unexpected
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Collieafc wrote:Well that was...unexpected

Seconded.

Grosjean to Williams then, perhaps?
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
jpm

Post by jpm »

Wow, didn't see that coming! So Grosjan does a Pantano then and wins gp2 but doesnt get to F1·Sad times, Kimi for ROY in 2012
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

When the Williams rumours fell away, I hadn't expected Raikkonen to return at all - so six world champions on the grid next year, then? Is that a record?

And where does this leave Robert Kubica? The team clearly wanted a proven top line driver in place as insurance against the Pole not coming back... And it doesn't say much for the half-dozen or so other drivers the team also have on their books!
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Kudos to James Allen, then. Some people were criticising him yesterday on Twitter for that message...
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Holy crap! I wasn't expecting that! Could this mean that Barrichello stays at Williams, now that Raikkonen hasn't been signed by them?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

There's always Bottas to sign... But I cross my fingers for Rubinho
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
S951

Post by S951 »

fingers crossed for rubens and luca for hrt
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Well done, James Allen. Your sources are indeed good. And you managed to beat Joe Saward to it (who yesterday dismissed the idea in a post) despite not going to all the races! Hat's off!
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

DanielPT wrote:Well done, James Allen. Your sources are indeed good. And you managed to beat Joe Saward to it (who yesterday dismissed the idea in a post) despite not going to all the races! Hat's off!

Yeah fair play to him. Didn't think much of it first, but this has surprised me!!
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

It's less than a week after the last Grand Prix and I can tell that next season will be worth watching :D
I'm still curious about Williams, Force India and HRT though.
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

That's great news for the sport. :)
Still, if Lotus "progresses" like they did during the year...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I wonder if Williams will consider exchanging their volatile bolívares for some slightly more stable roubles...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Minardi Man

Post by Minardi Man »

You never know, williams could stick with the pasta man again! :lol:
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Minardi Man wrote:You never know, williams could stick with the pasta man again! :lol:

Paolo Barilla's returning as well?!
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

Minardi Man wrote:You never know, williams could stick with the pasta man again! :lol:

That would interfere with his Paralympics preparations but... he's a real fighter, so he wouldn't mind taking up the challenge I guess :D
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

What in the heck just happened???
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

kostas22 wrote:I wonder if Williams will consider exchanging their volatile bolívares for some slightly more stable roubles...

Why am I thinking a Sutil-Karthikeyan line-up wouldn't be a bad thing? Sutil brings a level-headed approach and Karthikeyan brings money... And he's not the worst driver available to Williams.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

cbbcisace

Post by cbbcisace »

Giedo van der Garde is going to announce something tomorrow!

GvanderGarde: Goodnight! Tomorrow interesting daY... I wish i can say more but i cant!...
HRT - who else would you support :P
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

cbbcisace wrote:Giedo van der Garde is going to announce something tomorrow!

GvanderGarde: Goodnight! Tomorrow interesting daY... I wish i can say more but i cant!...

Hmmmm. At least he'll do better than Christijan Albers, if I'm thinking what I'm thinking.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

golic_2004 wrote:

Hmmmm. At least he'll do better than Christijan Albers, if I'm thinking what I'm thinking.

I think that he will be another Christijan Albers, but with a bit more cash...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

DanielPT wrote:
golic_2004 wrote:

Well, at least there are no fuel hoses for him to drive away with anymore.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
DanielPT wrote:
golic_2004 wrote:

Well, at least there are no fuel hoses for him to drive away with.

F1 still has pneumatic wrenches, though. He might decide to go that way!