Most Forgettable Drivers

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
Irisado

Re: Most Forgettable Drivers

Post by Irisado »

Frentzen127 wrote:'Tis Aussie drove for Lotus in 1971 and 1972.
Results were as you would expect, particularly in 1972 when he waspartner to Emerson Fittipaldi, espectacular:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Walk ... ing_driver)

Thanks for that. I thought I had the seventies covered (even though they pre-date me), but I had definitely overlooked him.

A brief look through his results though suggests there was nothing memorable about him, so I think he could be a very good candidate for this thread.
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

They do. I run another PhPBB forum elsewhere, and I once set one user's name to filter out to "Douchebag". {thehemogoblin - 18 posts ago}

You can also substitute words for things other than asteriskes (I co-admin a phbPP forum - it'll be in General Admin -> Word Censors if it's the same version as mine), so for example, someone typing "Zsolt" could have it altered to "HWNSNBM" without having to remember how to spell such a long acronym.
Python

Post by Python »

kostas22 wrote:Christiano Da Matta.

What happened to him after he hit that deer at Road America anyway?

I know he made a full recovery from his accident then did a test for the Grand-Am series on March 20 2008, and basically on his first time being in that car broke the track record he was testing at. A few days later or so at Laguna Seca he teamed with Jimmy Vasser the 1996 CART National Champion for that race and was doing pretty good until Da Matta tossed his cookies in the cockpit of the car during the race because he ate fried chicken and pasta salad sometime before the race and him and Vasser finished 32nd overall.
Best quote ever
watka wrote:There's only one fair way to settle this: a duel to first blood, using canes, and each of you must be wearing a top hat, waistcoat, and ascot tie.
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

How about Johnny Dumfries? I've never heard about that guy until I started to get interested in the 80's. He drove a few races for Lotus alongside Senna didn't he?

And: Martin Donnelly. Even though this was because of certain circumstances...
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

mediocre wrote:How about Johnny Dumfries? I've never heard about that guy until I started to get interested in the 80's. He drove a few races for Lotus alongside Senna didn't he?

Dumfries is one of the You-Lucky-Bastards.
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

Forgettable nevertheless. :)
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

mediocre wrote:

No one can forget that horror smash in Jerez!
Sorry guys, I had a little outing.
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

To be quite honest, I haven't heard of it until the day before yesterday. I thought he was just a random pay driver Lotus needed because they were actually going down at that time. The I coincidentally spotted it on YouTube and was quite shocked because I thought something like that couldn't happen after Villeneuve's fatal crash.
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

Most forgettable drivers for me have to be Ralph Firman and Enrique Bernoldi, who I only ever really remember racing in Formula 3. Likewise Luciano Burti, who would fit into the same bracket had he not had so many huge smashes!

Most forgettable team has to be Midland F1 - I couldn't name anyone who drove for them without looking it up.
Forza Forti
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Pieman wrote:Most forgettable team has to be Midland F1 - I couldn't name anyone who drove for them without looking it up.

I remember them solely for the fact that they employed Christijan Albers, who would go on to drive off with the fuel hose in Magny-Cours when the team became Spyker, allowing Markus Winkelock to take his place at the next race, and we all know what happened then. That and the fact that their cars looked like McLarens.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Pieman wrote:Most forgettable team has to be Midland F1 - I couldn't name anyone who drove for them without looking it up.

I remember them solely for the fact that they employed Christijan Albers, who would go on to drive off with the fuel hose in Magny-Cours when the team became Spyker, allowing Markus Winkelock to take his place at the next race, and we all know what happened then. That and the fact that their cars looked like McLarens.

Those Albers' antics happened when the team was named Spyker. Midland is clearly one team that it's easy to forget. For me I can remember few team-mate clashes and Albers's spectacular crash in Imola (thanks Yuji Ide)
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Midland is so forgettable I can't even remember Albers' teammate!
Who was it again...hmmm...**** I KNOW THIS ONE!!!!
OMG I REMEMBER NOW! The incredibly boringly consistent Tiago Monteiro!! The only reason he isn't forgettable is because of the Indy 05 Tyre Debacle.
And I also remember they had a buttload of Test Drivers...Winkelhock, Mondini, Sutil, Viso, Premat and so on...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Basko

Post by Basko »

Slim Borgudd, ex ABBA member. He was in F1 with ATS and Tyrrell between 1981 and 1982.
El Vasco, from the city where was born the Master of the master, Juan Manuel Fangio
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Basko wrote:Slim Borgudd, ex ABBA member. He was in F1 with ATS and Tyrrell between 1981 and 1982.

For that alone he is unforgettable. Name any other musicians/F1 Drivers/Truck Drivers.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I know its not F1, but Maxi Jazz drove the Pro-Am category of the Porsche Carrera Cup UK.

Image Image
muttley

Post by muttley »

kostas22 wrote:I know its not F1, but Maxi Jazz drove the Pro-Am category of the Porsche Carrera Cup UK.

Yes, but unfortunately they got his name wrong and he was called Jazz Maxi :roll:
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

You ever listened to Faithless mate?

"My name is Maxi Jazz and I make no apology for linking my thinking to computer technology".
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I think he meant the Porsche guys called him Jazz Maxi, not his name actually is Jazz Maxi.

Image Image
muttley

Post by muttley »

watka wrote:You ever listened to Faithless mate?

"My name is Maxi Jazz and I make no apology for linking my thinking to computer technology".

It was a pun, based on the assonance of Maxi Jazz with Max Jean
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

I actually liked Midland and even became somewhat of a supporter of them, just because everyone seemed to love bashing them.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Ferrim wrote:I actually liked Midland and even became somewhat of a supporter of them, just because everyone seemed to love bashing them.

They were a complete joke.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I dunno.
Midland is the sorta team when someone asked me about them, I'd just reply "Meh."
Pretty slow, but not Deletraz slow.

Image Image
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

thehemogoblin wrote:They were a complete joke.

No, I can't go along with that I'm afraid. They were just very bland, making them a strong contender for the most forgettable team, but if you want teams which were 'a joke' then Life, Andrea Moda, and Lola (1997) win hands down in my opinion, with no other teams getting a look in.
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Irisado wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:They were a complete joke.

No, I can't go along with that I'm afraid. They were just very bland, making them a strong contender for the most forgettable team, but if you want teams which were 'a joke' then Life, Andrea Moda, and Lola (1997) win hands down in my opinion, with no other teams getting a look in.

Those were farces. Midland was just a joke.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

John Cannon, Philippe Streiff and Allen Berg
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Streiff was paralysed in F1 accident and that makes him to driver to remember.
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

Couple of others I'd forgotten were Cristiano da Matta and Sakon Yamamoto.
Forza Forti
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I think the most forgettable drivers are the ones that have been mentioned more than once in this thread, because they're so forgettable that people have forgotten that they have already been mentioned. ;)
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Here's another nobody for you - Renzo Zorzi!

Has Pierluigi Martini been mentioned yet?

Image Image
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

kostas22 wrote:Here's another nobody for you - Renzo Zorzi!

Pierluigi Martini... the only driver to lead a GP with a Minardi. That's unforgettable.
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

watka wrote:I think the most forgettable drivers are the ones that have been mentioned more than once in this thread, because they're so forgettable that people have forgotten that they have already been mentioned. ;)

Indeed - I'm new here though :P
Forza Forti
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

kostas22 wrote:Here's another nobody for you - Renzo Zorzi!

I remember Renzo Zorzi, although I have absolutely no idea where from - his name just seems really familiar

Edit: Remembered now (thank you wikipedia!) - his smoking car was the reason a marshall decided to lug a fire extingusher across Kylami circuit, causing the death of Tom Pryce, so he's pretty memorable, for either old F1 fans, or information sluts
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

So that's why his name was in my head...I just remembered he was an F1 driver, but not when he was from/who he drove for.

And I'm not old enough to have seen Martini leading for Minardi. I always thought it was Eddie Cheever at the Phoenix GP that lead for Minardi...

Image Image
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

It's Phillipe Adams in the Lotus in the mid-1990's I just realised I keep forgetting - did he EVER do anything memorable, in F1 or elsewhere?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

I remember seeing Philippe Adams winning races in an Audi in the Belgian ProCar series in the mid-90s, but haven't heard of him since.

As for Martini, while he was leading his lap wasn't Nigel Mansell reversing having missed his pit box and being disqualified, meaning that nobody saw it?
Forza Forti
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Pieman wrote:I remember seeing Philippe Adams winning races in an Audi in the Belgian ProCar series in the mid-90s, but haven't heard of him since.

As for Martini, while he was leading his lap wasn't Nigel Mansell reversing having missed his pit box and being disqualified, meaning that nobody saw it?

I think that pitstop delayed Mansell enought to give Martini the lead. Had the pitstop been normal, Mansell had probably kept the lead.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Are there any others like Tom Jones that no one's discovered yet?
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Christian Klien. I remember two thing about him: Qualifying 6th at the 2005 Brazilian GP in a Red Bull, and nothing. Very anonymous and unexciting overall, not bad.

Also,

Nick Heidfeld, despite being for so long at F1 he's looked permanently average and dull. I don't remember a single outstanding drive by him, at least that wasn't improved or at least matched by his teammate. Podium in Monaco? Webber was there too. Second at Canada 2008? Kubica won. And I could go on and on I think...

Heikki Kovalainen. His first races with Renault were memorable though... for all the wrong reasons. :mrgreen:
Narain Karthikeyan. I do remember he had a massive crash at the 2005 China GP though.
Patrick Friesacher.
Albers. I think he started in the Top 10 once in a Canadian GP. No clue if it was in a Minardi, Spyker or a Midland.
Sakon Yamamoto.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Whoever replaced Giorgio Pantano at Jordan. I dunno who it was, he was that forgettable. Unless said person was Timo Glock, then it wouldn't apply.

Do Test Drivers count? Then I could say Bjorn Wirdheim and Bas Leinders.

Robert Doornbos
Christiano da Matta
Marc Gene

Image Image
Marty

Post by Marty »

kostas22 wrote:Whoever replaced Giorgio Pantano at Jordan. I dunno who it was, he was that forgettable. Unless said person was Timo Glock, then it wouldn't apply.

It was.