Your Reject of the Race - Valencia!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Peter

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Valencia!

Post by Peter »

Wizzie wrote:
dr-baker wrote:And, unless I fell asleep (and I probably did...), I don't think there were even any investigations either, were there?

There was one for the Schumacher/Petrov incident at pit exit.

I didn't see that. FOX must've been in a commercial at the time.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Peter wrote:
Wizzie wrote:
dr-baker wrote:And, unless I fell asleep (and I probably did...), I don't think there were even any investigations either, were there?

There was one for the Schumacher/Petrov incident at pit exit.

I didn't see that. FOX must've been in a commercial at the time.

Oh yeah. The highlight of the race. And I totally forgot it. :oops: :? :|
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
MaxZero

Post by MaxZero »

For me, has to be: Traffic, due to reliability & the drab/unchallenging circuit

Cars (HRTs a lot of the time) seemed to be continually getting in the frontrunners way and produced a number of gaps between the points contenders, there's enough room on the circuit to keep it from being as tricky as Monaco but not enough to allow cars to get out of the way quick enough
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

The Valencia Street Circuit is so dull, I thought that there had only been 2 or 3 races there before. But apparently there have been 5! How rejectworthy that I can't even remember when it joined the calendar...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

dr-baker wrote:The Valencia Street Circuit is so dull, I thought that there had only been 2 or 3 races there before. But apparently there have been 5! How rejectworthy that I can't even remember when it joined the calendar...

I don't know where you read that, there have only been 4 races in Valencia, including 2011.

2008, a very processional race won by Massa, 2009, an interesting battle between Barrichello and Hamilton for the win, and 2010, an easy win for Vettel after a controversial safety car.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ed24 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:The Valencia Street Circuit is so dull, I thought that there had only been 2 or 3 races there before. But apparently there have been 5! How rejectworthy that I can't even remember when it joined the calendar...

I don't know where you read that, there have only been 4 races in Valencia, including 2011.

2008, a very processional race won by Massa, 2009, an interesting battle between Barrichello and Hamilton for the win, and 2010, an easy win for Vettel after a controversial safety car.

So I was right then? Gonna have to find out where I thought I read that now... Me for Reject of this thread then...
MCard LOLA
Peter

Post by Peter »

In the fairness of the backmarkers, they really had nowhere to go. This track has no space for them to go anywhere, as Valencia's layout has only 1 optimal line, nowhere to go if you're slowing for a faster car, go off line and there is no space, and the very dirty, dusty marbles. For example, Karthikeyan was in the high speed right handers when Alonso was behind him, there is really nowhere for him to go in a position like that. This track is the problem, it's got no space for passing, and its layout means that there is only 1 optimal way around the track.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Okay, this is the final word on Reject of the Race for Valencia. Jamie and Enoch should be paying attention to this.

The official Reject of the Race is ... Michael Bay, who proved that this year's European Grand Prix was somehow more entertaining than watching giant robot aliens beat each other up for two and a half hours (when, by rights, it should be the most awesome thing ever). Yes, that's how much TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON sucked. Seriously, I got more entertainment out of the two and a half minute trailer for MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL than the two and a half hour film that followed.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Dom

Post by Dom »

Peter wrote:This track is the problem, it's got no space for passing, and its layout means that there is only 1 optimal way around the track.

It's the stupid not-quite-straight-straights. Yeah, the cars look really good going around those little kinks but they don't provide any challenge for the driver as they're flat out and they don't provide any opportunity for back markers to get out of the way.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Peter wrote:This track is the problem, it's got no space for passing, and its layout means that there is only 1 optimal way around the track.

... Huh?

Okay, first of all, Valencia is one of the widest circuits on the calendar. True, it narrows in a few places - most notably the final corner - but all the high speed sections are very wide.

Secondly, all circuits only have one "optimal way" around the track. It's called the racing line: the shortest - and therefore the fastest - way around.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
J Washburn Stoker

Post by J Washburn Stoker »

Captain Hammer wrote:Secondly, all circuits only have one "optimal way" around the track. It's called the racing line: the shortest - and therefore the fastest - way around.

I think you mean the straightest, not the shortest.
“The only way that engineer’s message could have been any scarier would have been if it had been delivered in the dark.”
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

No, I mean the shortest.
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Well the racing line isn't the shortest.
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Frentzen127 wrote:Well the racing line isn't the shortest.

It is the shortest when we talk about time (but obviously not when we talk about distance).
Last edited by DanielPT on 30 Jun 2011, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Captain Hammer wrote:

... Huh?

Okay, first of all, Valencia is one of the widest circuits on the calendar. True, it narrows in a few places - most notably the final corner - but all the high speed sections are very wide.

Secondly, all circuits only have one "optimal way" around the track. It's called the racing line: the shortest - and therefore the fastest - way around.

Maybe I didn't word that properly. The point that i'm trying to make is that Karthikeyan couldn't do anything to get out of Webber's way at that point because of the tracks' characteristics there, the only way he'd have been able to would be to go right off track into the runoff, and that in itself, is risky business.
coloni_subaru

Post by coloni_subaru »

A strange reject vote here, but anyway..
The location of all grandstands: on all the 'best corners' there is nothing, and there is not even any general admission, just to make sure that i will never go to this race!
"Better to have raced and lost than never to have raced at all"
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Captain Hammer wrote:Secondly, all circuits only have one "optimal way" around the track. It's called the racing line: the shortest - and therefore the fastest - way around.

Sepang International Circuit begs to differ. There is no ONE optimal way to take turns 12-14. You need to compromise atleast one apex, and that choice depends on A) Your tires. B) your fuel load C) your setup D) your driving style etc etc etc etc.

So once again Captain Hammer is talking bullshit.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

DonTirri wrote:

Sepang International Circuit begs to differ. There is no ONE optimal way to take turns 12-14. You need to compromise atleast one apex, and that choice depends on A) Your tires. B) your fuel load C) your setup D) your driving style etc etc etc etc.

So once again Captain Hammer is talking bullshit.

Nah, he isn't - you just chose an extraordinary specific example to attempt to disprove him, for whatever reason. For the most part, as I understand it, he is correct- maybe not for one or two combinations of turns on one or two tracks, but generally.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

DonTirri wrote:Sepang International Circuit begs to differ. There is no ONE optimal way to take turns 12-14. You need to compromise atleast one apex, and that choice depends on A) Your tires. B) your fuel load C) your setup D) your driving style etc etc etc etc.

That is one sequence of corners that was deliberately designed for the purposes of creating multiple lines through it. However, Peter's post implied that most circuits have multiple racing lines ther entire way around, and that Valencia is the only exception.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Yes, my post may have implied that, but what I actually meant was that, at Valencia, in many places, there is literally, only one way to go, making getting out of the way of the frontrunners almost impossible unless you're on one of the straights.