A1 Grand Prix of former nations

Archive for the three above subforums
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

A1 Grand Prix of former nations

Post by Nessafox »

The idea is to have a A1 grand prix of nations that don't exist anymore
I will not be too critical when you submit medieval or older states, as things were pretty complicated back then. I've decided after thinking that i will accept former colonies that are more or less recognised as a country and former nations if they have a name change, on the condition that it sounds good.
as drivers we will take persons that lived in that country during that era, it doesn't matter what his actual profession was. (i wil only accept an entry if you put forward both country and driver)
I however don't know how to make a mod, but i will make a topic anyway to get for an entry list and a race calender. Someone who can create the mod, you're welcome. I might try to do that myself, but that will take months, so have patience! In between keep submitting nations!

Official entries (not submitted, but they have actual race drivers)
Rhodesia - John love
German Empire - Bernd Rosemeyer
Because of the awkwardness of the Third Reich, we go a little further back in history
Siam - Prince Bira of Siam
Austria-Hungary - HWNSNBM (does not apply to the rules of drivers ,but because he is HWNSNBM, he is accepted)

Submitted entries:
Crown Of Aragon - Ramón Berenguer (Phoenix)
County of Loon - Arnold IV Van Loon (This)
Principåté d'Lîdje / Prince-Bishopric Of Liège - Jean Curtius (TommyKl)
Zanzibar - Fredy Mercury (TommyKl)
Republic of Ezo - Hijikata Toshizou (super aguri)
Bavarian Soviet Republic - King Ludwig III (P_Friesacher)
Cisalpine Republic - Napoleon Bonaparte (tristan1117)
USSR - Joeri Gagarin (This)
Czechoslovakia - Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk (Pointrox)
Roman Empire - Gaius Appuleius Diocles (Blindcavesalamander)
Aztec Empire - Moctezuma I (DanielPT)
Yet again i hope i picked the right flag.

we will add more (or remove some)
make sure to come up with the most obscure nations and the most epic drivers!

Calendar:
Last edited by Nessafox on 20 Jun 2011, 21:48, edited 23 times in total.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: A1 Grand Prix of former nations

Post by FullMetalJack »

This wrote:DDR:
Gaul:
Mesopotamia:
Ottoman Empire:
Frankish Empire:
The Kingdom of Mann:
Prince-Bishopric of Liège:
Confederate States of America:
Khmer Republic:
Zanzibar

I haven't even heard of these countries.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

redbulljack14 wrote:
Gaul:
Mesopotamia:
Ottoman Empire:
Frankish Empire:
The Kingdom of Mann:
Khmer Republic:
Zanzibar

DDR = East-Germany
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I'd like to point out that Rhodesia was simply the renamed Southern Rhodesia when Zambia to the north became independent. Rhodesia itself was then given independence in 1980 and became Zimbabwe, so it is in fact a colony which goes against your rules.

If we do however decide to go for colonies, I'd like to put forward a couple:
Bechuanaland (now Botswana)
Nyasaland (now Malawi)
Just for the cool names! :D

Also Zaire is simply the old name for what is now the DRC (Democratic Republic of Congo).

If we go for renamed countries, here are some more suggestions from yours truly:
Upper Volta (now Burkina Faso)
The Central African Empire (now the Central African Republic)
The Trucial States (now the UAE)
Again for the cool names! :D
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

AndreaModa wrote:I'd like to point out that Rhodesia was simply the renamed Southern Rhodesia when Zambia to the north became independent. Rhodesia itself was then given independence in 1980 and became Zimbabwe, so it is in fact a colony which goes against your rules.

thanks for pointing that out, i just thought of the fact that that country actually had F1-drivers.

well, i think that a coup like the congo-zaire situation does make it more or less a new country, but an effective name change does not. About zaire i'm relatively good informed because it was a former belgian colony, but most african countries are obscure to me. So i accept states where there was a change of regime, but not simply name change, unless the original country sounds great :D
to go for effective colonies would mean we would have too many countries, that would be undoable.

Well i might add some of those, but i don't know how many available spots i have. (i don't really know how to create a mod so someone has to do it for me or has to explain me) We however need drivers...
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I ask for a Crown of Aragon team.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Phoenix wrote:I ask for a Crown of Aragon team.

we got a first official entry, please submit a driver
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

This wrote:

I nominate Ramón Berenguer as the official driver.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Phoenix wrote:
This wrote:

I nominate Ramón Berenguer as the official driver.
Ramón Berenguer I, Ramón Berenguer II, Ramón Berenguer III or Ramón Berenguer IV?
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Can we submit 2?
If so:
Prince-Bishopric of Liège (Principåté d'Lîdje written on the side in Walloon) with Jean Curtius driving.

Zanizibar with Freddie Mercury driving :mrgreen:
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

Could I have the Republic of Ezo, a short lived (5 months...) republic on what is Hokkaidou, Japan that recognised diplomatically by France and the UK?

The driver will be Hijikata Toshizou
<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Would Siam count, with Prince Bira of Siam as driver?

And the Kingdom of Mann - anything to do with the Isle of Mann by any chance? Because that still exists as a Crown Dependancy (independant country with the UK representing it abroad, the same position as the Channel Islands).

EDIT: Just looked it up on Wikipedia, and it it, with a lot of Scottish islands! You have a choice of Manx drivers. Mark Higgins, David Higgins, Alex Lloyd, Mansell lived on the Isle for a while... (Plus the fictional Douglas Mann!)
Last edited by dr-baker on 19 Jun 2011, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

dr-baker wrote:Would Siam count, with Prince Bira of Siam as driver?

And the Kingdom of Mann - anything to do with the Isle of Mann by any chance? Because that still exists as a Crown Dependancy (independant country with the UK representing it abroad, the same position as the Channel Islands).

just found that on the list on wiki, and yes, that has to do with the isle of man, but it somehow used to be a fully independent country somewhere in the history or so, don't know, what i sum up in the list are just examples.

i will accept siam, only because we can use a few people that were actually race car drivers.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

redbulljack14 wrote:
Gaul:
Mesopotamia:
Ottoman Empire:
Frankish Empire:
The Kingdom of Mann:
Khmer Republic:
Zanzibar

DDR: Deutsche Demokratische Republik (ie. German Democratic Republic (ie. East Germany))
Gaul: France before the Roman conquest
Mesopotamia: an empire based in the lands of modern day Iraq
Ottoman Empire: what Turkey used to be before WWI, although it occupied far bigger territory
Confederate States of America: the secessionist side of the American Civil War, ie. the southern states.
Khmer Republic: Cambodia under Pol Pot
Zanzibar: Freddie Mercury's birth place :mrgreen:

The others I don't know, but Frankish Empire must be something related with France.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Actually, would England, Scotland and Wales count, considering they haven't been independant from each other for centuries?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

dr-baker wrote:Actually, would England, Scotland and Wales count, considering they haven't been independant from each other for centuries?

They still exist as entities.

The Frankish Empire was based in Southern Germany in the Middle Ages, you may have heard of Charlemagne, he was a Frank. Sort of carried the mantle of the Roman Empire in the West for a while, but collapsed into the Holy Roman Empire later on.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

shinji wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Actually, would England, Scotland and Wales count, considering they haven't been independant from each other for centuries?

As they have been independent or 'sort of independent' then they count, however you must choose a driver who lived in those countries then, not now. I can make an exception for HWNSNBM for austria-hungary, because he is HWNSNBM, but i can't do that for others.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:

As they have been independent or 'sort of independent' then they count, however you must choose a driver who lived in those countries then, not now. I can make an exception for HWNSNBM for austria-hungary, because he is HWNSNBM, but i can't do that for others.

Maybe less controversial if the former kingdoms of approx 7th century England were chosen: Northumbria, Mercia, Wessex, East Anglia, Essex, Kent and Sussex. However, if people can name people from then, then good luck. (Although, could we have Johnny Herbert for Essex and Jenson Button for Wessex?)
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

dr-baker wrote:
This wrote:

Maybe less controversial if the former kingdoms of approx 7th century England were chosen: Northumbria, Mercia, Wessex, East Anglia, Essex, Kent and Sussex. However, if people can name people from then, then good luck. (Although, could we have Johnny Herbert for Essex and Jenson Button for Wessex?)

no, the driver must have been born/alive when the country still existed, only for a certain hungarian i will make an exception.
i must admit that england, scotland and wales would probably be too confusing. I advise people that live there to find obscure states like the ones you mentioned.
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Can I enter the Pricipality of Sealand (Driver: Roy Bates) and the Bavarian Soviet Republic (driver: well, no idea, really - King Ludwig III, even though he was in exile at the time he was there before and after the elusive Soviet Republic)? Also, perhaps Vichy France might be a contender (and in very good company with Nazi Germany and, perhaps, Rhodesia as well)?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

P_Friesacher wrote:Can I enter the Principality of Sealand (Driver: Roy Bates)

Haha of course! How could we forget them? :lol:

My mate paid £30 (yes thirty quid!) for a title (lord or something similar I forget) from Sealand and never got anything! They're a bunch of thieving gipsy con-men! :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

And, considering Yougoslavia is on the list, what about Czechoslovakia (driver: Vaclav Havel). And the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies (driver: King Francis II)?
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

AndreaModa wrote:
P_Friesacher wrote:Can I enter the Principality of Sealand (Driver: Roy Bates)

Haha of course! How could we forget them? :lol:

My mate paid £30 (yes thirty quid!) for a title (lord or something similar I forget) from Sealand and never got anything! They're a bunch of thieving gipsy con-men! :lol:

well i don't think sealand is a 'former' nation, as far as i know it still 'exists' today. However, if everybody agrees, we can accept sealand as a 'guest country' ;) But i think the best option would be another championship with current 'non-officialy recognised states' :D
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

This wrote:i think the best option would be another championship with current 'non-officialy recognised states' :D

That sounds great, too! I would like to pre-register Somaliland, Transnistria, Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, South Ossetia, South Sudan, Gaddafi's Libya (or the rebel's - whichever will then be recognized by more states at the moment), Taiwan, Rockall and Western Sahara.
Last edited by P_Friesacher on 19 Jun 2011, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

P_Friesacher wrote:
This wrote:i think the best option would be another championship with current 'non-officialy recognised states' :D

That sounds great, too! I would like to pre-register Somaliland, Transnistria, Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, South Ossetia, South Sudan, Gaddafi's Libya (or the rebel's - whichever will then be recognized by more states at the moment), Taiwan, Rockall and Western Sahara.

haha, great, only submit drivers from these countries now! :D But eh i still don't know how to make a bathplugging mod, i'm just starting the projects.
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

This wrote:haha, great, only submit drivers from these countries now! :D But eh i still don't know how to make a bathplugging mod, i'm just starting the projects.

OK, let's see (difficult, since I don't think I know anyone living there in some cases, so in many cases google had to help. Accordingly, many are heads of state):

Somaliland: President Ahmed Mahamoud Silanyo
Transnistria: President Igor Smirnov
Nagorno-Karabakh Republic: Prime Minister Arayik Harutyunyan
South Ossetia: Vladimir Putin as guest starter
South Sudan: Hubertus Bahlsen, who, in a surprise move, has aquired South Sudanese citizenship
Gaddafi's Libya: clearly Muammar Gaddafi
Taiwan: Hanss Lin
Rockall: driver will have to be a seagull since, sadly, Rockall is unpopulated
Western Sahara: Duncan Tappy. He's driving for Japan in Superleague at the moment, so why not Western Sahara, too?

Edit: This should be moved to the A1 Grand Prix of non-regocnised nations thread. (Thanks!)
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Can I have the Cisalpine Republic with Napoleon Bonaparte as my driver? It was formed when Napoleon invaded Italy during the beginning of the French Revolutionary Wars.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

tristan1117 wrote:Can I have the Cisalpine Republic with Napoleon Bonaparte as my driver? It was formed when Napoleon invaded Italy during the beginning of the French Revolutionary Wars.

yes you can!

personally i've retreated my Gallia entry, in favour of USSR
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

How about Czechoslovakia with Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk as the driver?
(Apart from being the first president, a track in Brno is named after him - the one where all the major events like WTCC, Auto GP, DTM and many other series are held)
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

How about chariot racer Gaius Appuleius Diocles, the world's richest athlete, for the glory of the Roman Empire?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

This wrote:Third Reich - Bernd Rosemeyer
not to offend anyone, but they had some epic drivers

Well, please take the Imperial German flag then. Not because of any offense, but if one of our German users is seen browsing this thread in public, there might be some awkwardness. Luckily I don't have a notebook, but still...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I will place an entry in name of the Aztec Empire. Their driver is Moctezuma I.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.