The 2012 IndyCar Series thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
JohnMLTX

Re: The 'The 2011 IndyCar Series thread' thread

Post by JohnMLTX »

Honestly, I bathplugging loved both races.

Some really unlikely people were up there mixing it with the title contenders, like Sato and, imho the man who was most impressive all night, Mr. E.J. Viso.
And, to top it all off, the random draw set the field up for loads of fantastic passes and battles. I, along with everyone around me in the grandstands, was on my feet shouting and whatnot, quite excited.
If they do this again next year, it's gonna be another pair of amazing races.
ibsey wrote:Things happen in my underwear, every time I hear those Ferrari's.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

JohnMLTX wrote:Honestly, I bathplugging loved both races.

Some really unlikely people were up there mixing it with the title contenders, like Sato and, imho the man who was most impressive all night, Mr. E.J. Viso.
And, to top it all off, the random draw set the field up for loads of fantastic passes and battles. I, along with everyone around me in the grandstands, was on my feet shouting and whatnot, quite excited.

The races were unreal, it makes me wish there was a similar championship such as Indycar or even Indylights here in the UK. It would also be an excuse for the Birmingham Superprix to return.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Race 2 I thought was very entertaining, just Dario Franchitti's waahmbulance was almost unbearable.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

redbulljack14 wrote:

The races were unreal, it makes me wish there was a similar championship such as Indycar or even Indylights here in the UK. It would also be an excuse for the Birmingham Superprix to return.

Is the Rockingham Oval still in existance, by any chance? It'd be great to see the turb.... Oh hold on. Anyway, it'd be great to see CA... No, err, it'd be great to see the Americans back in the UK! And what about Brands Hatch? Even though safety isn't extremely good and there are limitations on when championships can come IIRC. Other than that, I don't see why we need a race at Silverstone, we have F1 there. Hmm, Oulton Park? I was racing Gil de Ferran's Reynard on CCC a fortnight ago on the chicaneless track. Knickerbrook corner was fantastic!
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote: Is the Rockingham Oval still in existance, by any chance? It'd be great to see the turb.... Oh hold on. Anyway, it'd be great to see CA... No, err, it'd be great to see the Americans back in the UK! And what about Brands Hatch? Even though safety isn't extremely good and there are limitations on when championships can come IIRC. Other than that, I don't see why we need a race at Silverstone, we have F1 there. Hmm, Oulton Park? I was racing Gil de Ferran's Reynard on CCC a fortnight ago on the chicaneless track. Knickerbrook corner was fantastic!

Rockingham is still going (celebrating its 10th year in 2011), but looking at the calender there only seems to be one race on the full oval all year, and that's part of a race weekend, where all the other races
are held on the road course. So, it's about time they tried to utilise the facility they have there. I just don't think many people in Europe want to see that type of racing, after all, look at the financial
problems Lausitzring has had ...
Jeroen Krautmeir

madmark1974 wrote:
Jeroen Krautmeir wrote: Is the Rockingham Oval still in existance, by any chance? It'd be great to see the turb.... Oh hold on. Anyway, it'd be great to see CA... No, err, it'd be great to see the Americans back in the UK! And what about Brands Hatch? Even though safety isn't extremely good and there are limitations on when championships can come IIRC. Other than that, I don't see why we need a race at Silverstone, we have F1 there. Hmm, Oulton Park? I was racing Gil de Ferran's Reynard on CCC a fortnight ago on the chicaneless track. Knickerbrook corner was fantastic!

Rockingham is still going (celebrating its 10th year in 2011), but looking at the calender there only seems to be one race on the full oval all year, and that's part of a race weekend, where all the other races
are held on the road course. So, it's about time they tried to utilise the facility they have there. I just don't think many people in Europe want to see that type of racing, after all, look at the financial
problems Lausitzring has had ...

Well, I feel that Europe needs its race back, so with an empty schedule according to you, a return to Rockingham will be supported by me! :)

Also, Pippa Mann gets three races with Bobby and Dave

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Jeroen Krautmeir

Okay Cynon, I have a question for you. What happened to Penske after 1994? Why did they just slump down like that? I don't know myself because the only 90s CART races I've watched are the whole 1999 season and some races from other seasons, such as Mid-Ohio 1992, Michigan 1998, Indy 1992, Rio 1996, Road America 1998 and Milwaukee 1997, and Paul Page and the others don't really seem to comment much on Penske's drop. After reading the massive 8W article regarding the PC-23, I know why they did badly at Indy, but after 95, they were midfield and eventually rear-enders? My curiosity kills me!

FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Okay Cynon, I have a question for you. What happened to Penske after 1994? Why did they just slump down like that? I don't know myself because the only 90s CART races I've watched are the whole 1999 season and some races from other seasons, such as Mid-Ohio 1992, Michigan 1998, Indy 1992, Rio 1996, Road America 1998 and Milwaukee 1997, and Paul Page and the others don't really seem to comment much on Penske's drop. After reading the massive 8W article regarding the PC-23, I know why they did badly at Indy, but after 95, they were midfield and eventually rear-enders? My curiosity kills me!

Is Rio 1996 where Mark Blundell suffered the heavy crash?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Okay Cynon, I have a question for you. What happened to Penske after 1994? Why did they just slump down like that? I don't know myself because the only 90s CART races I've watched are the whole 1999 season and some races from other seasons, such as Mid-Ohio 1992, Michigan 1998, Indy 1992, Rio 1996, Road America 1998 and Milwaukee 1997, and Paul Page and the others don't really seem to comment much on Penske's drop. After reading the massive 8W article regarding the PC-23, I know why they did badly at Indy, but after 95, they were midfield and eventually rear-enders? My curiosity kills me!

Well, you have to take into consideration that the 1994 Penske had de facto traction control because of how damn fast it was off the corner and the rules changes basically made the Penske a steaming POS for 1995. Then you have the Ilmor-Mercedes project for the 1994 Indy 500...

... but let's go back to 1988, when Penske basically controlled CART, deciding who would get the Ilmor Chevrolet engines. When you think about it, Penske gave the juggernaut teams the Ilmor Chevrolets, and even though he was beaten to the championship many times, Penske's power was undeniable. Then came the open competition from Ford Cosworth in 1992...

... and then we had THE SPLIT. Roger Penske's main enthusiasm was for the Indianapolis 500, and he was always smiling the most before or after Indy in victory lane. I remember in the pre-race for the 1994 Indianapolis 500, he answered a question about why make the Ilmor-Mercedes for one race only, and with such great secrecy, and his only answer was; "When you prepare for the greatest race in the world, you don't tell your competition what you're going to do". So perhaps a reduction in enthusiasm for Penske on that front...

... but remember I said that he controlled who got the Ilmor engines, right? What about the introduction of Honda, reducing Penske's own power? Then the introduction of Reynard presented another contender to Penske's cars and the Lolas... but the Penske, at least in 1997, was usually a better car than the Lola.

The 1996 Penske was just a bad design, good on ovals but a pig everywhere else, the 1997 Penske was a winner three times on ovals but Reynard passed that up pretty quick. If you looked at how ridiculous the 1998 and 1999 Penske cars were... yeah, those don't require an explanation as to why they sucked. Keep in mind that the 1998 and 1999 Penske cars were not designed by Nigel Bennett, but by John Travis.

Kind of a little bit of everything, and its not one single thing that caused Penske's decline. In 1999 he sold all of his race tracks to the France family -- a move which eventually came back to bite the IRL in the ass after the France family ran the IRL out -- and during the offseason, totally restructured his team, new car, new engines, etc...

But that smile from the Captain in the Indy 500 victory lane is what brought him back to the IRL before most of his CART bretheren.

A sidenote... never underestimate the power that traditionalist American racing fans have, because drivers with the backgrounds that many early IRL drivers had were what they were looking for, and have since not seen at Indianapolis in the winner's circle. ... but you did notice how big of a cheer J.R. Hildebrand got just in driver introductions for this year's Indy 500, right? ;)

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

madmark1974 wrote:

Rockingham is still going (celebrating its 10th year in 2011), but looking at the calender there only seems to be one race on the full oval all year, and that's part of a race weekend, where all the other races are held on the road course. So, it's about time they tried to utilise the facility they have there. I just don't think many people in Europe want to see that type of racing, after all, look at the financial problems Lausitzring has had ...

The full oval is still in use? Really? Is that for the Pickups?
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Faustus wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:

Rockingham is still going (celebrating its 10th year in 2011), but looking at the calender there only seems to be one race on the full oval all year, and that's part of a race weekend, where all the other races are held on the road course. So, it's about time they tried to utilise the facility they have there. I just don't think many people in Europe want to see that type of racing, after all, look at the financial problems Lausitzring has had ...

The full oval is still in use? Really? Is that for the Pickups?

According to the website : Pickup Truck Championship (Oval circuit), on 20th August ...

Everything else throughout the whole year is on the road course from what I could see.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Well, I feel that Europe needs its race back, so with an empty schedule according to you, a return to Rockingham will be supported by me! :)

Also, Pippa Mann gets three races with Bobby and Dave

Both Rockingham and Pippa Mann get my support. If the IRL could race at Rockingham, and Pippa were entered into her home race...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

madmark1974 wrote:
Faustus wrote:The full oval is still in use? Really? Is that for the Pickups?

According to the website : Pickup Truck Championship (Oval circuit), on 20th August ...

Everything else throughout the whole year is on the road course from what I could see.

What a shame. The oval is absolutely awesome. I've had some great times there. Also by the way, Rockingham has the cleanest pit toilets I've ever seen. I could even use the showers.
jpm

Post by jpm »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Well, I feel that Europe needs its race back

+1. Brands Hatch would be epic!!!
Jeroen Krautmeir

Cynon wrote:
Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:snip

snip

Thanks Cynon, really appreciate it! :)

redbulljack14 wrote:

Is Rio 1996 where Mark Blundell suffered the heavy crash?

Yes

ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

jpm wrote:

Brands hatch wasnt epic in 2003. And I'm sorry to say this, its now unfit for anything quicker than a touring car. type Brands Hatch into youtube and you'll see why.

Rockinham has fallen into the same position in "civilisation" as Brands Hatch, complaints from the locals who moved into new housing developments on areas that were sold off by the track owners. There are limited running days around there and nobody really gets to do the full oval other than shoddy versions of Nascar and Pickups, for "the fun" of it. It is however the only track in the UK with an American style pitlane.

The other option would be street track.....pfffffffffffffffffffft :lol:
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
nome66

Post by nome66 »

or.....
i like the new pit lane they have there now.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
jpm

Post by jpm »

ADx_Wales wrote:
jpm wrote:

Brands hatch wasnt epic in 2003. And I'm sorry to say this, its now unfit for anything quicker than a touring car. type Brands Hatch into youtube and you'll see why.

Rockinham has fallen into the same position in "civilisation" as Brands Hatch, complaints from the locals who moved into new housing developments on areas that were sold off by the track owners. There are limited running days around there and nobody really gets to do the full oval other than shoddy versions of Nascar and Pickups, for "the fun" of it. It is however the only track in the UK with an American style pitlane.

The other option would be street track.....pfffffffffffffffffffft :lol:

As someone who reguarly visits Brands hatch (and have been to the 1st international use of the new Silverstone wing at the FIA Gt1 world championship), I agree as far as racingis concerned, the best thing at Brands is touring cars, but as a spectator track it is unrivalled - in that from the grandstands at Paddock Hill Bend you can see the whole Indy circuit. Silverstone is the exact opposite; great racing (especially at the Loop complex), but you can only see one corner at a time; why ovals are such a great idea!! I've never been to Rockiingham, but from watching the BTCC on telly there, the infield circuit would be a nice alternative with the banked turn as well to boot. As for a street circuit, I honestly wouldn't complain. As long as GB gets to see what is arguably the greatest open wheel series in the world at the moment up close and personal, I don't care where it is. When Britain has so many Indy drivers (Dario, Jay Howard, Wilson, Lloyd, Mann, Jakes etc), we deserve our own round; especially considering Japan has its own round when there is only 1 Japanese driver in Taku.

PS has any one noticed that Rapha Matos and AFS Racing have disappeared off the face of the earth following Bump Day?
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

jpm wrote:PS has any one noticed that Rapha Matos and AFS Racing have disappeared off the face of the earth following Bump Day?

During the Bump Day broadcast, Robin Miller basically said that Indy was Make-Or-Break for AFS Racing. I am not at all surprised they vanished, especially considering their speed at Indy... or lack of it. Shame that one reject team went by the wayside.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I would love to see IndyCar in Britain, and I love the Brands Hatch Indy loop (having visited often), but as said above, the 2003 "London Grand Prix" was dull, thanks in no small part to the compulsory pit stop windows. But even Formula Renault UK find it much harder to follow each other around the Indy loop than touring cars, and SuperLeague struggled too.

Several rounds in Europe would help to make it more viable to come over. You could easily have two oval races at Rockingham and Lausitz, and two 'roval' races at Brands (despite earlier comments) and Monza.

(And seeing the DeltaWing concept originally designed for IndyCar compete at Le Mans next year will be interesting...)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Does Rockingham have a lighting system? I think it would be awesome to see Indycar race in the UK with it's contingent of European drivers (Franchitti, Wilson, Servia, Conway, Di Silverstro) potentially drawing a crowd, Dario in particular. The only thing I can think would be necessary to have the race still hit its home audience would they'd have to run it as late Saturday, or Sunday as they could, because Americans don't wake up early for ANYTHING on the weekends.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

F1000X wrote:Does Rockingham have a lighting system? I think it would be awesome to see Indycar race in the UK with it's contingent of European drivers (Franchitti, Wilson, Servia, Conway, Di Silverstro) potentially drawing a crowd, Dario in particular. The only thing I can think would be necessary to have the race still hit its home audience would they'd have to run it as late Saturday, or Sunday as they could, because Americans don't wake up early for ANYTHING on the weekends.

Just looking at an aerial shot of Rockingham, it doesn't look like it (it's been a year or two since I was last there in person). I remember one of the early Rockingham 500s had to stop early because of rain delays then fading light levels making it impossible to continue the race.

Plus, while I was looking at this, I remember hearing of a crash at the first chicane (in the top-right-hand corner of the photo, in front of the grandstand to the right of the BMW grandstand) involving Katherine Legge in her F3 days. I don't think that chicane has been used since, even though it still exists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgx0PrnL34U
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dr-baker wrote:
F1000X wrote:Does Rockingham have a lighting system? I think it would be awesome to see Indycar race in the UK with it's contingent of European drivers (Franchitti, Wilson, Servia, Conway, Di Silverstro) potentially drawing a crowd, Dario in particular. The only thing I can think would be necessary to have the race still hit its home audience would they'd have to run it as late Saturday, or Sunday as they could, because Americans don't wake up early for ANYTHING on the weekends.

Just looking at an aerial shot of Rockingham, it doesn't look like it (it's been a year or two since I was last there in person). I remember one of the early Rockingham 500s had to stop early because of rain delays then fading light levels making it impossible to continue the race.

Great photo. I have some very good memories of times spent at Rockingham, sleeping in a caravan behind the pits during race weekends, occasionally working all night to change a set-up or repair a car. Good fun.
In the top right of the photo you can see the tunnel that leads to the infield. There used to be sign at both ends of the tunnel that said 'Please rev your engine'. Even my piece of crap road car sounded great in that tunnel!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Faustus wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Image

Great photo. I have some very good memories of times spent at Rockingham, sleeping in a caravan behind the pits during race weekends, occasionally working all night to change a set-up or repair a car. Good fun.
In the top right of the photo you can see the tunnel that leads to the infield. There used to be sign at both ends of the tunnel that said 'Please rev your engine'. Even my piece of crap road car sounded great in that tunnel!

Well, as you can tell, the photo was found via a Google search. And further to funny/unusual signs at the track, after a Champ Car race at the track, they replaced a sign at the end of the pit lane. They used to use this sign:

After the race, and a maximum speed had been established, it was replaced by a 240 mph max speed limit sign. So I remember reading once, a number of years ago...

EDIT: Found a link to this sign! http://www.rockingham.co.uk/about/about-rockingham.php Does any other race track have a maximum speed limit sign, I wonder?
MCard LOLA
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Great photo indeed. This may be one of the coolest looking ovals I've ever seen, for me it ranks up there with Trenton, Langhorne, and Phoenix and Darlington for innovative oval design. There is absolutely NO REASON why Indycar shouldn't come to this track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrQ1MT1AGfE The turnout looked pretty good as well.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

F1000X wrote:

Great photo indeed. This may be one of the coolest looking ovals I've ever seen, for me it ranks up there with Trenton, Langhorne, and Phoenix and Darlington for innovative oval design. There is absolutely NO REASON why Indycar shouldn't come to this track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrQ1MT1AGfE The turnout looked pretty good as well.

No floodlighting + main Indycar audience won't get up at 5 AM. The race would absolutely need to be run at night, and don't think British motorsport wants to spend any kind of money on the IRL or on any kind of American motorsport to race in the UK.

Shame really, it's an awesome oval track. :\

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Cynon wrote:
F1000X wrote:

No floodlighting + main Indycar audience won't get up at 5 AM. The race would absolutely need to be run at night, and don't think British motorsport wants to spend any kind of money on the IRL or on any kind of American motorsport to race in the UK.

Shame really, it's an awesome oval track. :\

And the infield track has been known to host BTCC - always good for some action. A few times I have been to see the BTCC there, and I will for a long time remember a track commentator describing some action. One of the corners is named the Pif-Paf, and naturally, as soon as a bit of contact happened at that bend, it was described as being "a bish-bash at the Pif-Paf..."
MCard LOLA
jpm

Post by jpm »

Today sees the return of the Indycars to the Milwaukee Mile, and its Dario on pole, with HELIO in second! The man we know and love is back after the imposter from the season so far who took out power at long beach and failed at indy. Welcome back Helio! Plus incredibly all 3 KV cars made it into the Fast 6, including, wait for it, E.J. Viso! MENTAL!!!
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Dario Franchitti, you are ruining this race.
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

A rather decent race destroyed by the rather indecent number of commerical breaks on ABC.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

i know right!

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
S951

Post by S951 »

Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
nome66

Post by nome66 »

it was only a matter of time. as predicted(i assume wrongly) here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHLfoWXW8gA

dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

:D The way this guy goes on short ovals, it was i agree only a matter of time, he must have been a sprint car driver in a previous life. crossed fingers he keeps it on the road
Jeroen Krautmeir

Marco!

IndyCar Live Timing rocks...

dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

dnhrudi wrote:

:D The way this guy goes on short ovals, it was i agree only a matter of time, he must have been a sprint car driver in a previous life. crossed fingers he keeps it on the road

And he didn't, good to see Andretti Aotosport win again though, turning into a very interesting season
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

That, ladies and gentlemen, was oval racing at its finest. AWESOME win for Marco Andretti, and he earned a lot of respect from me in doing so, because I could have sworn that Michael Andretti stepped back into the car and that we were back in the 1990s. AWESOME drive!

Also, Viso was so embarrassing that I could have sworn Deletraz tried an oval for the first time. What happened between Milwaukee and now?!

jpm

Post by jpm »

Cynon wrote:Viso was so embarrassing that I could have sworn Deletraz tried an oval for the first time. What happened between Milwaukee and now?!

It was the same Viso we saw crudely blocking Simona back at St. Pete for 'the benefit of the team'. Apart from the Venezuelan oil money he brings, he is of no value to the team surely? Wold they not be better off in signing a proven talent. Dan Wheldon, Adam Carroll, JK Vernay anybody?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Speaking of Dan Wheldon, can one of you explain to me why he's out of a drive now? I mean, he did win the title a few years back, didn't he?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

P_Friesacher wrote:A rather decent race destroyed by the rather indecent number of commerical breaks on ABC.

I cannot wait till maybe NBC picks them up.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF