Ugliest Non-Reject Car design

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Ugliest Non-Reject Car design

Post by Aerond »

PayasYouDNPQ wrote:
That Lola just looks slow. Surely they must have had an airbox planned? Looks like they didn't update it much for 1997.

After the Imola events of 1994, Airboxes were to be banned from F1, so I´m sure Lola built the car according to that.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Aerond wrote:
PayasYouDNPQ wrote:
That Lola just looks slow. Surely they must have had an airbox planned? Looks like they didn't update it much for 1997.

After the Imola events of 1994, Airboxes were to be banned from F1, so I´m sure Lola built the car according to that.

Yes - the Forti FG01 was also constructed without an airbox, and one had to be added later on when it became apparent that they were still permitted (the rules were clarified after the 1995 Argentine GP).
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Aerond wrote:
PayasYouDNPQ wrote:

Could you explain what difference banning airboxes would have made? Particularly in light of an article in today's Autosport to say that radical solutions like Mercedes air intake are to be banned for next year (which is a shame - stiffling innovation and identikit-looking cars).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

dr-baker wrote:After the Imola events of 1994, Airboxes were to be banned from F1, so I´m sure Lola built the car according to that.

Could you explain what difference banning airboxes would have made? Particularly in light of an article in today's Autosport to say that radical solutions like Mercedes air intake are to be banned for next year (which is a shame - stiffling innovation and identikit-looking cars).[/quote]
The amount and quality of airflow into the engine. More air and faster flow means more power.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

RejectSteve wrote:
dr-baker wrote:After the Imola events of 1994, Airboxes were to be banned from F1, so I´m sure Lola built the car according to that.

Could you explain what difference banning airboxes would have made? Particularly in light of an article in today's Autosport to say that radical solutions like Mercedes air intake are to be banned for next year (which is a shame - stiffling innovation and identikit-looking cars).

The amount and quality of airflow into the engine. More air and faster flow means more power.[/quote]
And Mercedes is also achieving this with their new air intake?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

RejectSteve wrote:

The amount and quality of airflow into the engine. More air and faster flow means more power.[/quote]

I have no idea what was the technical reason, but it was left because of the reduction of advertising space.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Aerond wrote:I have no idea what was the technical reason, but it was left because of the reduction of advertising space.

Why does that not surprise me?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Aerond wrote:
RejectSteve wrote:

The amount and quality of airflow into the engine. More air and faster flow means more power.

I have no idea what was the technical reason, but it was left because of the reduction of advertising space.[/quote]
And this is why there not be any ban on the current shark fins?
MCard LOLA
johnwraps

Post by johnwraps »

It seems that the ugly car looks like a classic jet fighter. The design looks like the car flies. It can't run trough the highway.
Last edited by johnwraps on 29 Jul 2010, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
Instant Mash

Post by Instant Mash »

I think that Ligier JS21 from 1983 has to take the cake.
SDHammer

Post by SDHammer »

The NASCAR car of tomorrow.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

SDHammer wrote:The NASCAR car of tomorrow.

I don't understand why people hate it. It's much neater and efficient-looking than the old generation of cars, which just looked a bit amateurish somehow.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

kostas22 wrote:

I don't understand why people hate it. It's much neater and efficient-looking than the old generation of cars, which just looked a bit amateurish somehow.

The old one had model differences. The COT doesn't. That's really the crux of it. People are manufacturer-centric in the US. (I tend to support Chevy.)
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

thehemogoblin wrote:
kostas22 wrote:

The old one had model differences. The COT doesn't. That's really the crux of it. People are manufacturer-centric in the US. (I tend to support Chevy.)

I think people are manufactuer-centric in most countries: stick a merc or a BMW in NASCAR and there will probably be a rise in German interest in the sport, the same goes for the French, and the same would go for the Brits if we had a car industry left :x

In terms of bikes I'd readily support a Triumph or Norton over the others, just to see stuff coming from this country doing well. I guess it kinda sounds a bit patriotic and if people take it too seriously almost jingoistic, for their nation to win at the expense of others, but in reality it's just the same as supporting your country in the World Cup, etc.

Now, about the new COT, I can understand that it probably isn't a big deal when you've got 40+ cars tearing round an oval for many hundreds of laps because theres a big pack and you get to see them lots, but that's the attraction of open formulas like F1, WTCC, etc because of the field variety. I'm sure with all the different paint schemes, sponsors, stickers, etc it won't be a big deal for most people, at least in the US anyway.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Some time ago, the Germans created a championship where the cars were almost as fast as the DTM. I think it was called the V8 Stars, or something like that; Pedro Lamy won it.

The problem was this was a silhouette-based championship, so nobody cared. You'd see a Passat fight an XJ, but you'd know that underneath, they were all a bunch of scaffolding with the very same engine and gearbox.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Sure it was the Germans? Wasn't it the Italians, and Morbidelli is winning lots of championship? And they even got a game... or was that Superstars or something?
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

yes it was in germany, some of the used cars are still racing in the dutch supercar challenge (or whatever it's called)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

This wrote:yes it was in germany, some of the used cars are still racing in the dutch supercar challenge (or whatever it's called)

Yup, that's the one. Maybe there was something similar in Italy, but I never heard of it.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
This wrote:yes it was in germany, some of the used cars are still racing in the dutch supercar challenge (or whatever it's called)

Yup, that's the one. Maybe there was something similar in Italy, but I never heard of it.

You had the correct series. V8Star was the short-lived German series with Pedro Lamy taking a title. Some of those V8Star Jaguar and Volkswagen cars also ended up in the VLN Nurburgring series. The Italians have Superstars, the Italian V8 silhouette series that continues to this day where Morbidelli, Chiesa, and others run.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Pardon the resurrection.

Only saving grace for the Ferrari F14T is it didn't have a dick for a nose!

Mercedes got it right and Ferrari failed miserably.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I still think the ugliest Ferrari was the 1996 F310, with either the low or high nose.
MCard LOLA
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

dr-baker wrote: 02 Oct 2022, 19:42 I still think the ugliest Ferrari was the 1996 F310, with either the low or high nose.
Not disputing that.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Har1MAS1415 wrote: 02 Oct 2022, 16:49 Image

Pardon the resurrection.

No it didn’t have a p-word nose. Instead it looked like an aardvark had mated with a vacuum cleaner. Only Mercedes and Red Bull had noses which looked half bearable that year.
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote: 02 Oct 2022, 20:19
Har1MAS1415 wrote: 02 Oct 2022, 16:49 Image

Pardon the resurrection.

No it didn’t have a p-word nose. Instead it looked like an aardvark had mated with a vacuum cleaner. Only Mercedes and Red Bull had noses which looked half bearable that year.
LOL!

That's one way of describing the F14T!

You could say it sucked!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Har1MAS1415 wrote: 02 Oct 2022, 19:58
dr-baker wrote: 02 Oct 2022, 19:42 I still think the ugliest Ferrari was the 1996 F310, with either the low or high nose.
Not disputing that.
You won't, but I will:
Although to give it some credit, it was an important stepping stone in Ferrari's mid-seventies Renaissance.
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

That is definitely an ugly Ferrari. Which Ferrari is uglier is a matter for conjecture.

But F310 wins for ugliest in my lifetime.
MCard LOLA
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Bobby Doorknobs wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 12:04
Har1MAS1415 wrote: 02 Oct 2022, 19:58
Not disputing that.
You won't, but I will:
Although to give it some credit, it was an important stepping stone in Ferrari's mid-seventies Renaissance.
Ooh Yeah! That IS an eyesore if ever I saw one. Thank goodness it never actually raced!
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Arrows A1, is that a nose or a tongue?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Har1MAS1415 wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 12:49 Image
Alien eye sockets.
MCard LOLA
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

dr-baker wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 17:42
Har1MAS1415 wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 12:49 Image
Alien eye sockets.
LOL!