Ugliest Non-Reject Car design

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Stormwind

Ugliest Non-Reject Car design

Post by Stormwind »

The second part of this thread. Regardless of the livery, This is the ugliest non-reject team car design. I would prefer from the 1980's on as before that, the cars were generally ugly before that. But as the 1980's arrived and cars began to be more consistant in shape. What are the ugliest ones that stands out?

I'm sure alot of people will vote for the 2004 Williams FW26, But aside from the nose, the rest of the car was fine. I'm talking overall ugly.

For me, Ferrari still gets a mention, This time with the 1996 Ferrari F310. Especially in contrast with it's predecessor the 1995 Ferrari 412 which was beautifully sleek and clean. The F310 looks like someone decided to model a car after a bathtub and a blowfish. Unbelievable when we see a car which looks like it's in need of liposuction.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Ugliest Non-Reject Car design

Post by Faustus »

Coloni FC188.
Brick-like and the overall yellow colour didn't really help.
Edit: my bad, this is most definitely a reject.

Ferrari 643.
Ugly square high sidepods and just generally ugly when compare to 640, 641 and 642, which I found very to be very stylish.

Footwork FA12
Weird looking single pylon front wing, huge wheelbase, but a nice looking perfectly round engine air intake.

Pacific PR01
I liked the colour scheme but the car had a lot of right angle and big radii, so it looked boxy.
Edit: again, obviously a reject.

Prost AP03.
Just... weird. Strange sidepods.

Pretty much every car on the grid in 2007 and 2008. Too many protuberances, gurney flaps and wings sticking out of every surface. I hated those cars.
Last edited by Faustus on 21 Apr 2009, 17:46, edited 2 times in total.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

McLaren MP4/10. A mid-wing on a long engine cover did not help a car that had a bulky appearance anyway. Even worse when Mansell was in it.

Lola T97/30. At least the livery wasn't ugly, but design and lap times were.

Tyrrell 025. Like the Footwork FA12, it had the single pylon front wing arrangement but coupled with the X-wings on the high downforce circuits proved to be an eyesore which unfortunately lent themselves to copies by nearly half the teams in early 1998.

Renault R29. The anvil nose, semi-enclosed rear suspension, plus 2009-spec wings created an ugly beast. Even worse in its colour scheme, which admittedly is unique, and with Piquet.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

The Ferrari F310: Ugly from any direction you look at it. It and the F310B were only competitive because of what a certain M. Schumacher was able to extract out of that Monster on Wheels. Sadly Irvine couldn't do the same
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

The AGS JH22 "Periscope" airbox situated at the far end of the engine cowling in 1987.

The Ligier JS5 "Teapot" engine cowling circa 1976.

The WIlliams FW26 "Walrus-nose" back in 2004.

The Arrows A2 "Brick" design in 1979 with wide sidepods and no front wing.

The Spirit 201 from 1983 came armed with a double rear wing.

The Ensign N177 "Step-ladder" nose from 1979.

The engine cover winglet that appeared on the 1995 McLaren MP4/10.

The Tyrrell "X-wing" rear view mirrors on the Tyrrell 025 in 1997.

The March 711 "Ironing board" front wing from 1977.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
minrdi

Post by minrdi »

I have to disagree with Captain Hammer regarding the Arrows A2 - I think the "Buzzbomb" was one of the best-looking cars of that season, inspite of being fundamentally flawed in its design. But hey, that's part of being in a forum, is being able to disagree!!! ;)

My particular favourites (some already covered in previous threads) - I apologise for including some pre-1980s cars in here, but some were pretty horrific and need to be mentioned:

Copersucar F5 (1977) - the rectangular air intake above the driver's intake was bigger than his head; a bulky and clunky looking car
Ferrari F310 (1996) - everyone has nominated this one, and then Ferrari made it even uglier by raising the nosecone midway through the season!
Ferrari F2004M (2005) - the interim 2005 chassis, with a bulbous nosecone and that awful tea-tray wing, which they kept on the little-better F2005...
Honda RA108 (2008) - the majority of the 2008 cars were extremely ugly, but this took the biscuit with its dumbo/seagull wings sprouting from the nosecone.
Jordan 192 (1992) - an awfully slow car courtesy of its gutless Yamaha engine, but that front wing looked like it had been melted or sat on
Jordan EJ12 (2002) - awful to look at, and it wasn't very quick either...
Lotus 87B (1982) - for its integrated mirrors paired with the Mickey Mouse ear radiator intakes that sprouted either side behind the driver's head
March 711 - for the aforementioned tea-tray front wing
March 721 & 721X - for its snowplow front wing and the mirrors on stilts
McLaren MP4/10 - for that much-vaunted and much-maligned mid-wing.
Spirit 201C (1983) - for impersonating the Toleman T183B with its double rear wing
Toleman T183B (1983-84) - for its double rear wing and the bulky nosecone that doubles as a radiator intake; the car looked like a pig and drove like a pig.
Tyrrell P34 (1976) 6-wheeler - yes, it had 6 wheels and it won at Anderstorp, but was it honestly a good-looking car?

I had a few memories of some of the test and concept cars designed by the non-reject teams - while theses cars didn't do a single racing lap in anger, it is still worth mentioning them while we're on the topic (go to http://www.statsf1.com for more information):

Copersucar 1 (1974) - never more than a windtunnel / test model, but that front wing is pretty special and probably explains why it never went any further...
Ferrari 312-B3 (1973) - as per the Copersucar 1
Ferrari 639 (1988) - the predecessor to the Ferrari 640 and every bit uglier
Williams FW8D - for its 4 wheels at the read, it looked like a truck and the concept was thankfully killed.
"The advantage of jumping the start is that you can get away a lot quicker." - Murray Walker

Editor, Richard's F1
Visit my F1 website at http://richardsf1.com
Exclusive news, reviews and interviews for F1, IndyCar, V8 Supercars and the WTCC
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Captain Hammer wrote:The WIlliams FW26 "Walrus-nose" back in 2004.

Really? I liked it! Sabre-tooth tiger in disguise...

Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Ugh, it's right up there wit the shark fins and Honda's tested-but-never-raced elephant ears.

Have you noticed how we've given animal names to all these parts?
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Captain Hammer wrote:Ugh, it's right up there wit the shark fins and Honda's tested-but-never-raced elephant ears.

Have you noticed how we've given animal names to all these parts?

You're right there. I remember the first Benetton with raised nose, around 93 (?), everyone called it "shark nose".
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Pedro_Diniz

Post by Pedro_Diniz »

Captain Hammer wrote:Honda's tested-but-never-raced elephant ears.

Is there anyway that I can see pictures of these!?
Kimi: "I was having a sheeet."
Reverie Planetarian

Post by Reverie Planetarian »

AGS JH22, for a different reason than the Periscope. Even amongst the mid-80s crowd its sidepods look like a small plane collided with them prop-first.

Ferrari 312 T6. So somebody thought the FW8D wasn't a looker (And it wasn't, compared to the March 2-4-0 I suppose because it didn't look like it had been formed out of play-doh) but they didn't see this. Dually-style tires don't belong on an F1 car, much less a FERRARI!

McLaren MP4/10. Again, for the midwing. Sort of like a lady who's actually sort of pretty but has this big mole...

BMW Sauber F1.08. Never, ever, ever have I seen an F1 car look so busy. A front wing that looked like it had a zillion elements, the fins right off the nose that looked like Elephant Ears Lite, the horn things off the airbox...why didn't they finish it off and try to give it a midwing and X-wings while they were at it?

Ferrari 310. Another vote, yes, because it just sort of looks...wrong...from every angle.

Kojima KE007. Looked toylike from several angles and kinda OK from others. And I don't even remember it being competitive...

Honorable mention to the Ferrari 312 T5 for its rectangular near-tea-tray front wing and its coffee table body to match.
Some say he plans to put an S921 on the Goodwood 2012 run, and that he DOES know what Deletraz is doing.
All we know is...he's called Perry McCarthy!

...we'll never see an S921 at Goodwood, will we?
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Reverie Planetarian wrote:AGS JH22, for a different reason than the Periscope. Even amongst the mid-80s crowd its sidepods look like a small plane collided with them prop-first.

The sidepods were something they were stuck with, since the monocoque design actually came from the 1985 Renault, but laid-up and cured very ineptly. Roberto Moreno said in an interview with Motorsport that he could actually see the front bulkhead twist in cornering.

Reverie Planetarian wrote:BMW Sauber F1.08. Never, ever, ever have I seen an F1 car look so busy. A front wing that looked like it had a zillion elements, the fins right off the nose that looked like Elephant Ears Lite, the horn things off the airbox...why didn't they finish it off and try to give it a midwing and X-wings while they were at it?

That'll be a car that didn't have enough downforce, hence the constant upgrades and extra winglets and gurneys sprouting from every surface.
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

I always thought that the Spirit 201C was a nice car but the Toleman TG183B was quite a pretty car, the rear wing just looked like nothing else and looked fairly modern at the time. It was also designed by Rory Byrne and it did do well in the last few races in 1983 with Derek Warwick scoring in the last four races and in the hands of Ayton Senna he got two sixth places before the car was replaced by the TG184.

The teapot Ligier JS5
and the March 711
Image were ugly cars though...
<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

minrdi wrote:Tyrrell P34 (1976) 6-wheeler - yes, it had 6 wheels and it won at Anderstorp, but was it honestly a good-looking car?

Oh, it absolutely is. I saw one of them at the Coventry Transport Museum 3 weeks ago and fell in love with it. It's surprising how low to the ground and slimline it is in the circumstances.
Reverie Planetarian

I guess it's one of those "your mileage may vary" cars, to use a TVTrope. I personally really liked the P34 and I loved its concept. That and it'll always remind me of the Asurada series of cars from Cyber Formula...
Some say he plans to put an S921 on the Goodwood 2012 run, and that he DOES know what Deletraz is doing.

Life w12

Post by Life w12 »

Here's some reject cars that never were raced in anger
Lola T95-30
Lotus 88B
DAMS GD-01
And the car that started the Life debacle- the First F189
Life w12

Post by Life w12 »

March 2-4-0
Here's Arrows 2001 car in it's Monaco set up
BRM P230
Dywa Chevrolet
Reverie Planetarian

Hah! The Dywa looks like it was hewn from cardboard!

Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Pedro_Diniz wrote:

Maybe. Try going through the archives over at Formula1.com; they were tested on the RA107 at Catalunya mid-season. They were basically a pair of staks that rose up near the front of the nose, and then curved over into a roughly circuilar shape. he top half was painted in keeping with the myearthdream.com logo, but the underside was raw carbon fibre. Honda never found any particular advantage from them, and so they were neer used outside the three-day test period.

EDIT: Found a picture. Just Google "Honda Dumbo ears", and you'll get this:
Reverie Planetarian

Oh, I thought of one more...the Tyrrell 012 Boomerang from 1983. Is it just me, or does Tyrrell race experiments instead of actual racers?...suffice to say it wasn't as glamourous as the X-Wings that actually started a short-lived trend or the love-it-or-hate-it P34. Forward-swept-wings are for jets, not rear downforce elements!

Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Reverie Planetarian wrote:Oh, I thought of one more...the Tyrrell 012 Boomerang from 1983. Is it just me, or does Tyrrell race experiments instead of actual racers?...suffice to say it wasn't as glamourous as the X-Wings that actually started a short-lived trend or the love-it-or-hate-it P34. Forward-swept-wings are for jets, not rear downforce elements!

I love that car! The green and black looked great! But you're right, forward-swept rear wings... what the devil was Maurice Philippe thinking? Quite a striking feature, though.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

cant believe nobody has pointed this behemoth out yet......

thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

WeirdKerr wrote:cant believe nobody has pointed this behemoth out yet......

It still has a chance at reject.
Pedro_Diniz

Post by Pedro_Diniz »

Captain Hammer wrote:
Pedro_Diniz wrote:

Maybe. Try going through the archives over at Formula1.com; they were tested on the RA107 at Catalunya mid-season. They were basically a pair of staks that rose up near the front of the nose, and then curved over into a roughly circuilar shape. he top half was painted in keeping with the myearthdream.com logo, but the underside was raw carbon fibre. Honda never found any particular advantage from them, and so they were neer used outside the three-day test period.

EDIT: Found a picture. Just Google "Honda Dumbo ears", and you'll get this:

Oh, thank you for the find! They look awful. It actually just looks like a rabbit.

Also, that Arrows from Monaco 2001... how was that passed as safe??
Kimi: "I was having a sheeet."
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

If I Recall correctly, It wasnt, and was banned after the first practice. Or something similar
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

There's a pic of 2001 Arrows in Monaco practice.

Jordan had a bit similar plans:

Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

[quote="Bleu"]There's a pic of 2001 Arrows in Monaco practice.

Extra 3% front downforce, baby!
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Bleu wrote:Jordan had a bit similar plans:

28 years later, Eifelland lives on!

DonTirri

Post by DonTirri »

I'm surprised nobody has named the OTHER Ligier-car that was ugly as hell.

The sidepodless 1983 JS21:

Seriously, thats ugly.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

DonTirri wrote:I'm surprised nobody has named the OTHER Ligier-car that was ugly as hell.

The sidepodless 1983 JS21:

Seriously, thats ugly.

JESUS, WHAT'S THAT THING?! Did they allow it to race?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
DonTirri

Post by DonTirri »

Yep, the whole 1983 season if i recall correctly.

But yes, it was ugly as bathplug, looks more like a cast-iron Hotwheels car than an F1
Life w12

Post by Life w12 »

The Brabham BT52 was another car that was an eyesore

I'm surprised no one has picked the William FW 09B yet
DonTirri

Post by DonTirri »

83 was the worst ever year design-wise until 07-08. Almost all eyes were at first basically 82 cars with shortened sidepods and then just.. ugly
Reverie Planetarian

Hey, I liked the BT52. Fair bit good-looking especially considering the company it was in.

Oh, yeah, and the Ligier JS21?
GAAAAAH! GET IT AWAY! GET IT AWAY! *falls backwards, frantically tries to scoot away*

PayasYouDNPQ

Post by PayasYouDNPQ »

Life w12 wrote:Here's some reject cars that never were raced in anger
Lola T95-30
DAMS GD-01
And the car that started the Life debacle- the First F189

That Lola just looks slow. Surely they must have had an airbox planned? Looks like they didn't update it much for 1997.

The DAMS looks like a brick. What year was that? 94? 95? Surely they must have looked at the other cars and realised, 'hey, why is our car so fat?'

I've never seen a pic of the FIRST before. Doesn't look so bad really. When Brawn said they'd paint their cars white, yellow and black, I imagined something like that.
Teaching Australians about Rock Apes since 2005
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Those wing cars from the early 80s that didn't have a front wing do look kind of strange to me.

And that yellow Surtees livery from the 1970s just looks awfully slow, which it probably was.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Faustus wrote:Pretty much every car on the grid in 2007 and 2008. Too many protuberances, gurney flaps and wings sticking out of every surface. I hated those cars.

+1 Seconded.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Apart from the blunt nose, I really liked the look of the Williams FW09B. The engine cover encapsulating the roll bar was a nice touch.

The DAMS effort tested for 1995, but the car was so bad that the idea was scrapped. Looked slow and delivered that promise.

midgrid

Post by midgrid »

I remember reading that the DAMS car had an oil line failure as it was being driven down the pit lane and covered some potential sponsors with oil! Could be an apocryphal story, though.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Oh yes, I remember that monstrosity alright. Only competitive at Long Beach where Jarier could potentially have won the race had he not done the usual and crashed into someone. They didn't even catch it on camera IIRC!!