Team Profile - Bugatti

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Londoner

Team Profile - Bugatti

Post by Londoner »

Evening everyone :deletraz:

Mention the name "Bugatti" in contemporary circles and almost everyone in the room will either say "bless you" or point to the Bugatti Veyron and its variants. A few nerds may wax whimsical over the legendary pre-war factory whose Type 35 cleaned up in the 1920s and early 30s, putting up numbers which make today's Mercedes and Red Bulls seem like oily ticks on the motorsport throne.

We're Grand Prix Rejects though, so we've decided to remember Bugatti's only true Formula 1 tilt, a curious effort which lasted all of one Grand Prix weekend and 18 laps in total. Who better to tell the tale of the Bugatti Type 251 than our own Bobby Doorknobs, which you can read right here today!

Team Profile - Bugatti
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Har1MAS1415

Re: Team Profile - Bugatti

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Londoner wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 19:13 Evening everyone :deletraz:

Mention the name "Bugatti" in contemporary circles and almost everyone in the room will either say "bless you" or point to the Bugatti Veyron and its variants. A few nerds may wax whimsical over the legendary pre-war factory whose Type 35 cleaned up in the 1920s and early 30s, putting up numbers which make today's Mercedes and Red Bulls seem like oily ticks on the motorsport throne.

We're Grand Prix Rejects though, so we've decided to remember Bugatti's only true Formula 1 tilt, a curious effort which lasted all of one Grand Prix weekend and 18 laps in total. Who better to tell the tale of the Bugatti Type 251 than our own Bobby Doorknobs, which you can read right here today!

Team Profile - Bugatti
Is this the first time a team that only entered one race been profiled?
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Scrolled a bit and it indeed seems to be the case. Though Kauhsen (on the old website) with only 2 races came quite close.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

MasterCard Lola has been profiled, although that is more one entry with a double DNQ.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

dr-baker wrote: 12 Apr 2024, 05:48 MasterCard Lola has been profiled, although that is more one entry with a double DNQ.
Oh yes, MasterCard Lola had a profile on the old site but their performance just screamed for an exception to be made. Plus, they did intend to do the entire season and Sospiri and Rosset did make it as far as travelling to Brazil for the 2nd round of 1997 before being forced to withdraw almost right away because the team had already gone bust.

I just seem to remember Jamie and Enoch took the stance of only profiling teams that had attempted to qualify for at least 2 races.
Last edited by Har1MAS1415 on 14 Apr 2024, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Right i always forget the obvious
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
mario

Post by mario »

Har1MAS1415 wrote: 12 Apr 2024, 09:13
dr-baker wrote: 12 Apr 2024, 05:48 MasterCard Lola has been profiled, although that is more one entry with a double DNQ.
Oh yes, MasterCard Lola had a profile on the old site but their performance just screamed for an exception to be made. Plus, they did intend to do the entire season and Sospiri and Rosset did make it as far as travelling to Brazil for the 2nd round of 1997 before being forced to withdraw almost right away because the team had already gone bust.

I just seem to remember Jamie and Enoch took the stance of only profiling teams that had attempted to qualify for at least 2 races which was why Kauhsen had a profile.
I suppose that, in this particular case, there is an element of the "MasterCard Lola" situation that warrants an exception for a rather interesting piece of history.

That said, it's interesting to see the quote from Trintignant apparently being complimentary about the handling, as I'd heard the opposite criticism (that the Type 251 handled relatively poorly due to having an excessively short wheelbase and higher than expected centre of gravity, which meant the car was a bit overly skittish in the corners and overly pitch sensitive).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hello, so good to be back. It's been a long long time. So glad to see new team profiles being published, I really enjoyed this one. I hope to stick around for more of what I've missed for so long. :D
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Any more French teams to be profiled or is that it?

Just saying because the last two team profiles have been on French teams.
mario

Post by mario »

Har1MAS1415 wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 20:38 Any more French teams to be profiled or is that it?

Yes - Automobiles Martini would be eligible, having taken part in 7 races (with their best results being two 9th place finishes).

As an aside, I did happen to stumble on a thread in "The HWNSNBM Memorial Forum" from back in 2016 that did list the original criteria for a team to be profiled on this site, and according to that, the criteria was:
1. to have appeared as an entrant at at least one Grand Prix weekend and
2. to have scored 6 points or fewer under the 1991-2002 scoring system, assuming every car was eligible for points
(viewtopic.php?t=7724)

Under that set of rules, Bugatti does therefore qualify for an article.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

mario wrote: 17 Apr 2024, 21:22
Har1MAS1415 wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 20:38 Any more French teams to be profiled or is that it?

Yes - Automobiles Martini would be eligible, having taken part in 7 races (with their best results being two 9th place finishes).

As an aside, I did happen to stumble on a thread in "The HWNSNBM Memorial Forum" from back in 2016 that did list the original criteria for a team to be profiled on this site, and according to that, the criteria was:
1. to have appeared as an entrant at at least one Grand Prix weekend and
2. to have scored 6 points or fewer under the 1991-2002 scoring system, assuming every car was eligible for points
(viewtopic.php?t=7724)

Under that set of rules, Bugatti does therefore qualify for an article.
Never said Bugatti didn't qualify for an article and I knew the old criteria, the only change I knew of was from at least 2 races entered (under Jamie and Enoch) to 1 and it was actually any points system prior to 2003, I was merely observing that the last two new Team profiles have been on French teams.